March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Tameko you are amazing! 175!!! I can't imagine but I'm going to start so I can get there one day too!

Yesterday's workout:

Squat 105 lb
    OHP 55544 67 lb That OHP!! I started out feeling so good! I thought for sure I'd be able to get it, but no.
    DL 125 lb
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Attempted yoga tonight. Found an online video that was flexibility for beginners. Didn't go so bad, but it was only 5 minutes, so I decided to try another of her videos. Yeah, not for beginners.

Think I'll head to walmart tomorrow to scope out the yoga videos and to get a yoga mat (not a huge fan of rug burn). Guess this means I'll need to finally hook up my dvd player too...
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    115 on the squat today! That's my highest yet.

And I braved the real live bench press. I survived.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Attempted yoga tonight. Found an online video that was flexibility for beginners. Didn't go so bad, but it was only 5 minutes, so I decided to try another of her videos. Yeah, not for beginners.

Think I'll head to walmart tomorrow to scope out the yoga videos and to get a yoga mat (not a huge fan of rug burn). Guess this means I'll need to finally hook up my dvd player too...

I just do the sun salutation sequence like 5 times. This is the sequence I do in the steam room. its super easy and feels great. Photo at link below. Video at YouTube second link down.

http://benefitsofyoganow.com/sivananda.html

If you look at the above website it explains the different types of yoga. My roommate when I was younger was hard core into Ashtanga and she would do the sequences to loud bass techno and sweat buckets. I watched! I still wasn't ready to explore that part of myself yet.

I do only one warrior pose so I think I will start memorizing more of the video sequence i posted below. A beginner video may show you the same things as the YouTube video below. I find this yoga sequence does wonders for my stretching. You can YouTube search sun salutation or vinyasa yoga. I'm no good at the Chattaronga down just don't have control of my triceps yet.

Check it out a simple sequence: http://youtu.be/UjABtrkCYEA

It may feel hard at first but if you repeat it a few times it gets easier.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Attempted yoga tonight.

Yay! Finally!

I've seen Rodney Yee DVDs at Wal Mart including the beginner ones. They're pretty cheap and should do you just fine.
    I use the SL app so I've never had an issue with keeping track, but I do like the style of All-Pro's routine....the fact that the deloads are built in is nice and yeah, it absolutely delivers solid results....i've heard great things! I'll totally be waiting to hear your feedback and progress

So evidently, twice the usual workout means I'm already sore. I can't imagine how I'll feel tomorrow. Mommy, hold me. :frown:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I use the SL app so I've never had an issue with keeping track, but I do like the style of All-Pro's routine....the fact that the deloads are built in is nice and yeah, it absolutely delivers solid results....i've heard great things! I'll totally be waiting to hear your feedback and progress

So evidently, twice the usual workout means I'm already sore. I can't imagine how I'll feel tomorrow. Mommy, hold me. :frown:
    [/quote]

Oh no! I mean that's great but OH NO! Take a bath in epsom salt!
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Grrr. Workout sucked today. Squats went good, am up to 60 lbs on the first day of the 2nd week. I am still REALLY struggling on OHP, I complete it, but can tell my form is not good. Should I scale down to a lighter bar? And I aimed too high with deadlifts; completed the 95 lbs after misreading the "directions" last workout, but again, form was not spot on, so back down on that, too. But, it was still fun to be in the "big boy section"......even if it was with my cousin.....in a PT gym.....filled with mostly 60 yr plus heart patients :embarassed:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    First SL workout where i just wanted it to be over.

OHP: 4,5,5 at 40lbs and a decision to switch to 3x5 until i can get some fractionals
    Hack Squat: 5x5 at 70lbs, deload to work on getting parallel. Lower back painful, calves bruised. Hate them, hate them, hate them
    Deadlift: 125lbs again, felt ridiculously hard. Shouldn't have done them given my lower back from squats....time will tell if I've actually tweaked it or not.

So p!ssed off i joined the gym with squat racks on my way to the office. No more hack squats, ever! This is about the only good thing i can find from this morning's session...
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Grrr. Workout sucked today. Squats went good, am up to 60 lbs on the first day of the 2nd week. I am still REALLY struggling on OHP, I complete it, but can tell my form is not good. Should I scale down to a lighter bar? And I aimed too high with deadlifts; completed the 95 lbs after misreading the "directions" last workout, but again, form was not spot on, so back down on that, too. But, it was still fun to be in the "big boy section"......even if it was with my cousin.....in a PT gym.....filled with mostly 60 yr plus heart patients :embarassed:

Overhead presses are tough. Do you think your form was not so good because the weight was heavy? If so then you may want to lower the weight a bit.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @tameko 175 squat - HOLY *kitten* Batman
    @auddi - I joined an online yoga site for a while that had tons of levels and tons of videos to stream, I :heart: it because there was no way to get bored with the video, just change it up...they had 5 minutes ones and 90 minutes ones...it was so totally awesome..so many years ago, but I'll try and remember what it was called and do a little search. It was totally worth it...
    @hof - 115 squat is awesome!!!

Ok, I'm here to turn in my BAMF badge... :sad:
    Last nights session was so full of fail....when I got there the squat rack and the smith machine were in use. I sat down an thought about what to do, last time I had gotten on the elliptical to pass the time and I think that was a mistake...made me tired. So I decided to start with benchpresses. Yeah, did one set of 60lbs...then on the second set had to do the roll of shame ...I deloaded to 55lbs and finished it.

Then I was supposed to do rows at 60lbs...did one set couldn't touch my chest, so fail...deloaded to 55lbs. felt stupid..

Finally got on the squat rack...warmed up, then loaded on my 95lbs for squat...did one set, it was way hard and I chickened out. deloaded to 85lbs..I FREAKING CHICKENED OUT AND DELOADED below what I'd been doing for the last two weeks. And even THAT was hard. At this point I was thinking..what the hell is the point of any of this anyway. I was looking in the mirror at my enormous, swollen thighs thinking ...I'm a freak..what the hell am I doing here.

So then I went to get on the elliptical for 20 minutes because I ate horribly yesterday...HORRIBLY...and then it occurred to me...yeah...went over carbs by over 100 g...was WAY under in protein...and basically just ate sugar...why WOULD I feel good at the gym.

Then I went home to lick my wounds and got in a fight via text with my bf...I'm now not talking to him...and I figure it will take him maybe a week to figure that out....

Oh and I had to stop by the store and buy mouse traps because I have a mouse in the house. I HATE having to kill this mouse, but I can't have it in my house...I can't. SO yeah, there was some crying last night...<looks around> is it Monday already?

So in all of that horrible-ness...I did make one promise to myself...I will NEVER go to the gym again after a bad day eating...If I'm going to eat all those cookies and not get enough healthy food, then I have to stay home. <end of story> No exceptions.

going to cry in the corner now...:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    First SL workout where i just wanted it to be over.

OHP: 4,5,5 at 40lbs and a decision to switch to 3x5 until i can get some fractionals
    Hack Squat: 5x5 at 70lbs, deload to work on getting parallel. Lower back painful, calves bruised. Hate them, hate them, hate them
    Deadlift: 125lbs again, felt ridiculously hard. Shouldn't have done them given my lower back from squats....time will tell if I've actually tweaked it or not.

So p!ssed off i joined the gym with squat racks on my way to the office. No more hack squats, ever! This is about the only good thing i can find from this morning's session...

Yay for joining a gym where you can do real squats. NO MORE SQUAT HATRED!!! Sorry you had a bad day at the gym. Julie too. Sounds like overall it just wasn't a good day for a lot of people. Just keep in mind it's one day, and the next is sure to be better.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @Auddii - thanks. Feels like a wasted session, yanno, but I know there's no point in trying to lift again until after my rest day. And I still have to run tonight :(

@julieJ - I'm sorry you had such a tough time! But, the good news is you worked out why. You know what caused the crap session (which puts you one up on me right now!) and you have a plan to stop yourself repeating the feeling in the gym. That's a positive step. :)
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    @auddi - the website is http://www.myyogaonline.com/ - go figure...check it out, I think you can troll around before joining...if I had the energy I would totally join again...maybe I will anyway...
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    *waves* hi there everyone!

so... I did session A on Sunday but suspect my form was horrible having now watched the mehdi videos through, your helpful advice on the bench press, and my 5 year old pointing out that I wasn't getting to parallel on my squat.

I'm actually getting to the gym tonight. yay! should I try B, start from empty bar and try and work on form (eep those OHPs are scaring me already!) or redo A - or does it really make not a jot of difference as long as I'm doing -something-?!

:) thanks!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    *waves* hi there everyone!

so... I did session A on Sunday but suspect my form was horrible having now watched the mehdi videos through, your helpful advice on the bench press, and my 5 year old pointing out that I wasn't getting to parallel on my squat.

I'm actually getting to the gym tonight. yay! should I try B, start from empty bar and try and work on form (eep those OHPs are scaring me already!) or redo A - or does it really make not a jot of difference as long as I'm doing -something-?!

:) thanks!

You should hit workout B...but do deload and work on form...that is so important for two main reasons...1) avoid being injured and 2) get the most out of your workout by hitting the right muscles.

good luck.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Doing A tonight...going for my 87 lb rows and 92 lb bench, which I failed last time. I need to make sure I eat enough today! Squats will be 125, but I'm pretty sure I can hit those okay. I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow so I won't be working out again until Monday...but I *will* be drinking!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Hi, all...

Allow me to join the ranks of having my BAMF card revoked, as well.

After a solid night's sleep and a tasty breakfast, it finally freaking clicked!

My BIL dropped by the studio unexpectedly three sets into my squats last night, and I proceeded (after about twenty minutes of waiting for the hubs to take him OUT OF MY BUILDING AND ONTO THE PORCH), and while it was hard to concentrate with my music gone and random conversation floating around, I thought, screw it...People deal with much worse at the gym, so I pressed on. Granted I probably took more time than I should have between sets, but ok.

I did not increase any of my weights because I thought maybe form was important at this point, so I figured a repeat of the last "A" workout would be ok. For whatever reason, I was/am really struggling with the 65 lb row.

Then it was *duh* did it just get brighter in here? I hadn't eaten a whole lot up to that point, and I hadn't really taken an honest rest day since Sunday. (I don't count Monday, because throwing up has never been my strong point, and I know I worked out abs, plus I was all over the building that morning before the you know what hit the fan that afternoon.)

Moral of the story is that I need to eat REALLY well on lift days (PRIOR to the lift), take my down time as actually down, and respect my need to rest. My life doesn't have to be a burn-fest 7/7 days a week, LOL...

Julie, thank you for the yoga link! I need that.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    @extra...drink some for me!!! I'm benched until next thursday...damn antibiotics.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Noboy is revoking any cards.

You gals are AMAZING! Stop wigging yourselves out over a 5 or 10 pound difference when y'all are lifting small horses already. My kid weighs 42 lbs and I'm happy that any of you could heave him out of a window in case of a fire. Keep it in perspective, yo. :smile:

Lot less sore than expected after yesterday's double session, woop! I'm on my way out the door to go buy my last pair of Fastenal washers and look for an oly size curl bar so I can curl and deload properly without having to buy dumbbell handles and more plates.

Oh and I looked in the mirror last night and saw muscles! On my shoulders!!!!! Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!! *happydance*

If y'all don't want y'all's BAMF cards, I'll take them, thank you very much.

/flex

Keep lifting and getting stronger! Y'all are doing so well, I'm so proud of your hard work and progress! :heart:

Also: TGIF !!!!!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Overhead presses are tough. Do you think your form was not so good because the weight was heavy? If so then you may want to lower the weight a bit.

yes - overhead presses are tough, and women historically struggle with them. I don't know any ladies here that do not struggle with them. But overall the goal is to lift heavy things and put them down. I guess I don't get how your comment was constructive or informative? How about asking her how much she has been lifting and for how long? How many attempts she has made at the OHP first and then discuss a strategy from there. Instead of saying "hey honey, that's too heavy....why don't you put that heavy weight down". I don't get it - first women have a lot of self esteem issues when it comes to going to the gym anyway, especially in the weights section. I think I can speak for the majority of us that it is a hard move to even go into the weights section especially since it's so testosterone filled - plus having a guy in a women's discussion (which I typically do not mind, honestly) unless you have something that actually contributes to our overall goals and doesn't make women question why they are posting in a WOMENS forum anyway.

I joined this forum because it was for women and talking to women about similar goals and experiences we are having overall with stronglifts and weight lifting - because I can tell you - especially in real life - people don't get this stuff. My friends think it's weird and are like "don't hurt yourself!!!" "oh you should take a break you're doing too much!". You know what - we want to kick *kitten* here and take names. We want to do stuff for ourselves and sometimes talk about how lifting can help our period cramps.

but honestly - with the influx of men lately I don't feel comfortable posting in here anymore because of 1. Some women's reaction to the men in here 2. I don't feel like talking about how my boobs get in the way of some lifts sometimes because there are men in here. cause what advice is a man going to give me about my boobs being in the way of my rows sometimes. "hey strap em down sweetie pie! Maybe it'll work then!" Or maybe "Oh do you think your form is suffering cause it's too heavy???""" really??? Come on.

I'm tired of men thinking that our lifts can't be awesome and maybe we're lifting too heavy - dude. So there. end of rant. if that was a rant. I tried to be nice.