March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Well…the hubs is on the phone with another sibling, so am waiting for him to be done since he spots me, and I’m eyeballing my big girl bar, ready to get today’s festivities under way.

It is a “B” day and I REALLY want to see if I can’t knock out 115 on my DL. :bigsmile: I will be ridiculously excited if I can knock out 5x5 OHP with just the bar, but it was time to increase to 45, anyway. Need to get some heat going on in here, tho, cuz datum, that bar be COLLLLLLD!

I hopped on the scale this morning, because I wasn’t entirely convinced my 3 lb loss this week wasn’t some cruel joke on nature’s part because I ate so light on Thursday, but nope. It said the same thing, so I can really feel good about it. Down 1/2 inch in my waist and a quarter inch in my hips. Put on the same outfit I wore in my before pix and it’s been 8 weeks so it’s update time. I swear the horizontal stripes make me look fat.

@Extra - have fun in Vegas (the place)

@Lex - you’re a beast! That workout was amazing!

@nex - I love your thought process and will be back to read your post again and again. :flowerforyou:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    So, well…

I got my Oly set today. Only three months before my birthday. We were maxing out my little standard bar. It was kinda too short to put weights on and still fit within the supports on my rack. That’s how I knew it was time.

I thought I was really a beast until I picked up the bar at the store. Thought, “What the hell, it’s only 45 lbs, and the only lift I can’t do 45 lbs on is (omg, I’m sorry…) my OHP, but I’m almost there."

So we get it home, and it’s in four containers - the bar and clamps in a tube, and three boxes with plates in them - 90, 50, and 40 lbs respectively. And I carried them all from the truck, up the few stairs and into the studio. :bigsmile: Cuz you know I’m sorta bada$$ that way, LOL…

Of course, my lift day isn’t until tomorrow, but y’all gotta know I had to ops-check it, so I did a set of squats with just the bar, a couple of 5 lb weights, empty bar OHP, and ONE (yes…a whopping one) deadlift @ 115. :love: The fact that the bar is about two feet longer than my little baby 10 lb standard bar is going to create a learning curve, so I might do well to kinda deload and start from empty bar and press (pardon the pun) on so that I can work on form with a longer bar.

We’ve now got plate storage rack in here, too, so all my Oly plates and some of my most frequently used standard plates are up off the floor (keeping the standard bar and plates for my son, who is 110 lbs soaking wet at 5’6).

I was more excited about this set than a new handbag or shoes (now THAT is something, right there).

So y’all’s thoughts on starting over with just the bar, given its unfamiliar length and circumference?

Currently:

Squat @ 70#
    Bench press @ 50#
    Rows @ 65#
    OHP @ 40# (I tried the bar today, and handled it fairly well and due for that 5# increase tomorrow, anyway)
    Deadlift @ 110#

Congratulations on your new set up!!! I'm so excited for you!

Yesterday's workout

Squat: 110 lb
    Bench: 85 lb 55455 The weight on my palm was painful. Thank goodness for those safety bars. I couldn't even get the bar back up on the hooks. I was able to finish the last two sets with a big rest though.
    Row: 82 lb
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Thanks, fisher!

Oh, I freaking LOVE this new set! It FEELS good!

5x5 Squats @ 80
    5x5 OHP @ 45 (and I threw in two extra reps at the end of set 5 cuz I COULD!)
    1x5 DL @ 115.

All of the above are new PR.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks, fisher!

Oh, I freaking LOVE this new set! It FEELS good!

5x5 Squats @ 80
    5x5 OHP @ 45 (and I threw in two extra reps at the end of set 5 cuz I COULD!)
    1x5 DL @ 115.

All of the above are new PR.

AWESOME!!! OHP queen in the house!

Today was lowly cardio day, and went into the gym late this morning (cooked up and portioned out more chicken this morning). Ran into someone I used to do aikido with. Strange, we've run into each other several times, but we've both moved and now go to the same gym (even though the gym isn't particularly close to me.) It was fun to catch up.

Then hit up Target, Best Buy, and Walmart to try and find yoga stuff. Walmart was the winner with the Rodney Yee beginner video, mat, and blocks. Ugh. I hate spending money.

My goal today is to hook up the dvd player and give it a try before I have to leave for my wedding tonight.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My goal today is to hook up the dvd player and give it a try before I have to leave for my wedding tonight.

Audii, you're getting married today? Congrats!

I did another run of the All Pro's routine and went way down in weights plus donned my belt because my tummy muscles still hurt and I'm not risking further injury, so I'm doing an almost full reset to starting weights (higher on squats and BP so I can use the empty bar for the 20% deload) and working my way back up again.

Even so, I'm so beat right now LOL. 2x8 is very different from 3x5, and 7 lifts in one session are crazy compared to 3. Whew. Going to stick with it though I think, but only do DL twice a week rather than 3 times. Also, I actually broke a sweat and got out of breath a bit the more it went on. Definitely not used to that after coming from 3x5 A and B sessions that are super brief, comparatively speaking. I'm going to count all that as cardio and call it a day. :laugh:

Here's going to be my starting weights come next Tuesday (give or take):
    Squat 55
    BP 55
    Rows 65
    OHP 35 (yep!)
    Curls 25
    Calf Raises 55
    Deadlift 65 (yup! was wiped out by the time I got to that sucker and could barely get 16 reps in)

Happy to be done, looking forward to 2 resting days and getting my lifting mojo on again next week!

@Nex -- Amen, sister!
    @Elaine -- I have to at least have a protein shake in my system to tackle an entire lifting workout with; not something I can do on an empty stomach!
    @Jules -- congrats on the new oly set!

Y'all those are some great numbers! Keep up the awesome work!
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying the wonderful weather today and airing the house. Mid 70's here today and feels wonderful. I'll be b!tching about how hot is is soon enough.

Workout B today
    Squats 70lbs. Did sumos today and I like them much better especially since I have so much leg
    OHP 50lbs and. Made it my b!tch! They were tough but I got every single one
    Deadlift 125lbs. Switched to mixed grip and it is so much easier but still heavy as h3ll

Worked with my 12yo yesterday with squats and bench press. Had to get the the curl bar for him. He's said all day how bad his underarms hurt. He put out some presses yesterday granted they were only 15lbs. He asked me if my washers were the "baby weights". I really want him to get more active and quit spending so much time sitting around on the electronics. Thankfully with it warming up he'll starting spending more time outside.

time to make the supper before everybody starts whining.
    Hope everyone is having a great weekend !
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! Well I had a MUCH better workout today. I stuck with the same weight for squats, but did my 3x5 again, and reasonably well, so I think I'll increase my weights on that one next time. And I increased weight on BOTH bench press and rows, and I did 3x4 on both! VERY happy with that for my first try! Excited to see what happens next time!!

Also went outside for some cardio, we have SO MUCH snow still for this time of year, it's crazy! I did some snowshoeing, and hubs was working on grooming a trail for cross-country skiing tomorrow. He was frustrated even using the tractor to push snow. There's just SO MUCH of it!

Anyways, better go, I have homemade pizza dough on the go here, and I should get at it. Later, ladies!
  • jayliospecky
    Options

Hit submit before I was done. There was a lady doing squats in the Smith machine while I was finishing OHP in the rack. She had a "trainer" helping her out. She was standing straight up and down and then when she went to squat, she pushed her hips forward and kind of dropped down so her butt rested on a bench. I honestly have no idea how she did it because it looked awkward as hell. So, I mentioned that she should try the rack instead and suggested ways to improve her form. She kept glancing at her trainer (like I'm the crazy person) and just said "ok thanks". I apologized later for butting in to her workout. I wanted to say something to the trainer but he wasn't around when I left. Maybe I'll get a copy of Starting Strength and put it on his desk. I realize it's probably a minimum wage position and he doesn't give any ****s, but he's going to let someone get hurt. /rant.

This sounds kind of like the old workout videos where they would often advise beginners, if they were having trouble squatting, to use a bench to sit down on. But in the smith machine? I can't even picture it. That's just really weird. I mean, I could say, see my mom having trouble doing squats at her age, and having had no experience, so she would probably have to work up to it, or possibly modify it somehow, but...still.

Juliem: congrats on "officially" being at the new weight!! :happy:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    First time in the new gym.

Bench: 50lbs
    Rows: 60lbs
    Squats: 77lbs

Proper squats. OMG I've missed these. Turns out that that was the 15kg bar, but it still equaled my last hack squat PR so I'm happy

I need to go see a chiropractor though: i have a mild scoliosis and it's started to twinge when i bench. It just needs cracking back into place. However, the secondary effect is a twisted pelvis, and looking in the mirror as i squatted, that's back with a vengeance, and probably needs sorting before i start really pushing the weights and further unbalance muscles. Dammit. I hate going to the chiro!

NSVs: benching the same as a super-scrawny guy & having an easier time of it. Squatting the same as the guy in the cage before me.
  • auddii
    Options

Audii, you're getting married today? Congrats!

Woah, hey now, I need to work on how I phrase things on the internet. I was working a wedding last night. I work with a wedding photographer on the weekends. Was mine just because it was "my job". Ha. Sadly, still single.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Squat form question: I've only started noticing this on heavy sets (so recently) but at the bottom position of the squat I feel like one leg is getting deeper into the squat than the other. My body isn't perfectly symmetric, I have scoliosis in my back (bad enough that they had to ultrasound my back to do my epidural, but not bad enough to bother me much on a daily basis), and I think one of my legs is slightly longer than the other since one hipbone is slightly higher than the other.

So that isn't really a question, but should I do anything about it? Anyone else have this issue?
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I did another run of the All Pro's routine and went way down in weights plus donned my belt because my tummy muscles still hurt and I'm not risking further injury, so I'm doing an almost full reset to starting weights (higher on squats and BP so I can use the empty bar for the 20% deload) and working my way back up again.

Even so, I'm so beat right now LOL. 2x8 is very different from 3x5, and 7 lifts in one session are crazy compared to 3. Whew. Going to stick with it though I think, but only do DL twice a week rather than 3 times. Also, I actually broke a sweat and got out of breath a bit the more it went on. Definitely not used to that after coming from 3x5 A and B sessions that are super brief, comparatively speaking. I'm going to count all that as cardio and call it a day. :laugh:

Squat 55
    BP 55
    Rows 65
    OHP 35 (yep!)
    Curls 25
    Calf Raises 55
    Deadlift 65 (yup! was wiped out by the time I got to that sucker and could barely get 16 reps in)

Happy to be done, looking forward to 2 resting days and getting my lifting mojo on again next week

I just want you to know that I'm following your workouts closely. That program def is a lot of volume.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Squat form question: I've only started noticing this on heavy sets (so recently) but at the bottom position of the squat I feel like one leg is getting deeper into the squat than the other. My body isn't perfectly symmetric, I have scoliosis in my back (bad enough that they had to ultrasound my back to do my epidural, but not bad enough to bother me much on a daily basis), and I think one of my legs is slightly longer than the other since one hipbone is slightly higher than the other.

So that isn't really a question, but should I do anything about it? Anyone else have this issue?

I'm also mildly scoliotoc and my hipbones can be levelled up with a trip to a chiropractor or osteopath, so I'd start there. I don't know about whether either of us should worry though...
  • auddii
    Options
    A day today (first session of week 11). Squats are getting more difficult, and it was a little bit of a struggle. Nothing too bad. (And still only at 85; I feel like such a weakling compared to my other lifts).

Bench went pretty good at 75. Nothing to complain about, and I'll go up again next time. Rows were pretty awful as usual. Had form breakdown on the last few reps, so I'll be repeating 80 next time. Or maybe deload. I don't know. I just hate rows...

Another girl was using the squat rack today! It was exciting. Granted, she was doing high bar half squats and did this strange thing where she dropped her elbows forward while squatting, but I guess at least she was squatting? I don't know. Now I know why there's always a pad on the bar...

Alright. I'm off to shower then ring. Hope everyone has a good day.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Squat 55
    BP 55
    Rows 65
    OHP 35 (yep!)
    Curls 25
    Calf Raises 55

Happy to be done, looking forward to 2 resting days and getting my lifting mojo on again next week

I just want you to know that I'm following your workouts closely. That program def is a lot of volume.

I'm also following Dani's progress! Dani maybe you need to start your own thread for all of us that are using you as a guinea pig :laugh:
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This week I moved from the bulking phase to the cutting phase.

- reduced calories from 2200-2400 to 1800-2000.
    - added 15-30mins of daily cardio in addition to SL
    - cut out bread, cereal, pasta, rice, Splenda & sweets

Week 1 results: 4lbs lost, 0.5" off waist, 0.5" off belly, and bust & hips remained the same.

Lifting progress as of mid-December:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    This is why I need this group:

Just signed up on fitocracy as it seemed an interesting idea for a fitness website, and I wanted to check out out. They have "achievements" similar to xbox/blizzard/etc. All of the weightlifting ones make me feel like a failure.:laugh: Like the lowest OHP achievement is .4 of your body weight. Well for a heftier than average chica like me that's 80 lbs! For the first one. Those of you familiar with achievements in video games know there are some easy ones "You saved the game" and hard ones "beat x boss on superduperhardmode." If i wasn't aware a lot of women seem to have a hard time getting past 55 lbs I'd feel pretty bad for "only" pressing 76, and that's my best lift!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm also following Dani's progress! Dani maybe you need to start your own thread for all of us that are using you as a guinea pig :laugh:

!!!! :huh:

Well alrighty then. :bigsmile:

One of the reasons I'm going to 2x8 and upping the volume ... (and you actually work up to 2x12 by the end of a 5-week cycle) is because I have no endurance to speak of, so I'm going to work on building that and let the strength progress along with it.

I've been scouring the Web for lifting programs and would have had to make changes to all of them, so I settled on the one that I had to tweak the least based on my goals, needs, preferences and available equipment.

I'm not doing straight-leg deadlifts, but regular ones (hence twice a week, and may even lower that to once a week on my lightest day Saturday). I'm not going to sacrifice the DL form I've worked a month to attain, and tweaking the DL load is going to let me keep doing "real" deadlifts and reap their benefits without over-taxing my CNS (at least in theory ... not that I'll actually know until I get on with things :laugh:).

Other than that I've left the program and progression pretty much intact barring some minor adjustments to warm-up reps and deload percentages for squats and benches (because of the weight of my bar vs. what I'm capable of lifting right now).

Now I just have to learn to actually rest the full 60-90 seconds between reps and exercises ... between shuffling plates around and getting things set up and whatnot, I always forget to do that ... which is probably why I get so wiped out. Will have to put a clock in my garage and remind myself to pay attention to it. :smile:

We should maybe rename the group to something other than "Stronglifts". Cause I feel like such a rogue just posting here. :laugh:
  • jayliospecky
    Options
    "Stronglifts 5x5...and BEYOND...."

It's okay, I hear Tameko isn't doing stronglifts anymore, either. She's just earned the "resident expert" star. I don't really expect to be doing stronglifts for the rest of my life, either. *odd mental picture of myself at 85, asking you guys what I'm doing wrong on my squats...*

Fittree: I am SO impressed with your OHP. Really! That is phenomenal! *stupid fitocracy* I mean, okay, fine. Maybe it's supposed to be a super-hard challenge to hit. But still. Your OHP is awesome and don't you forget it.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    "Stronglifts 5x5...and BEYOND...."

It's okay, I hear Tameko isn't doing stronglifts anymore, either. She's just earned the "resident expert" star.

I thought about renaming it too but ... I dunno, I feel like it adds a lot of value for women who are directed here to see that EVERYONE (sort of) is doing this otherwise macho sounding program.

But yeah I haven't been doing SL for ...probably 8 months? I moved to 5/3/1, which is like the exact opposite of what Dani is doing so its a good comparison.

I think some people would prefer a program with a LOT of lifts and higher reps just because they like to feel really tired and like they "did a lot" at the end of a workout, whereas people like me think 5/3/1 is the shiz-nizzle because some days I seriously only do my main lift and go home (meaning I do 3 warm up sets, 3 work sets, and leave the gym -- not because its recommended, per se, but its a valid option and some days that's all I've got in me). And I know plenty of people feel like they COULDN'T possibly leave the gym without putting in another 30 minutes of work.

Speaking of which, I'm changing my up assistance programming next cycle and I need to go work that out....