EXERCISE!

Options

Replies

• mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Fitness/slimming magazine!!! It's a monthly out 24th June so plenty of time to spot it!
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm interested in what the July exercise challenge is and would like to commit to something here. As I type, it is past 8 p.m and it has been a long and tiring day. I did an early morning walk with Nellie of over a mile and a quarter but have been feeling too tired to finish enough to make it 2 miles - until I came here and now I really want to do the rest of that walk. Thanks to all you fellow exercisers for inspiration, especially you BM- if you can walk in your conditions I had better get out. I'll report on how it went. It is growing hotter here too and today I went out and did strawberry picking as well as a bit of riding. I think the heat got to me somewhat.
    MITM, dare I quess that it is Jillian herself on the magazine cover? We have Shape here (same edition?) so I'll look out for it.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BRACKEN - gold star AND she's in a bikini!! LMV will be hiding her eyes now determined not to spot her at the newsagents!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    LMV - where are days 30 & 31 may I enquire?!!! Enjoy hairspray but behave, remember you are on a mission....
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Sorry for my absence but we've been down at the caravan and have no wifi access. It is so calming and peaceful there that I've lost track of the days. Had a beautiful long walk in the sunshine along the beach yesterday. We also climbed up from the beach to the village at the top of the cliffs for a cup of tea. I think it's about 139 steps and I use it to gauge my fitness level each year. I normally find it hard work getting to the top at the beginning of each caravan season, but get up quite easily by the end. This year I walked straight up without stopping and I wasn't even out of breath. A couple of years ago I used to have to stop for a breather 2 or 3 times on the way up so I feel I've come a long way.

The weather has been miserable here today so I haven't been for a run which means I'll have to try and fit in a session with Rosemary later.

Incidentally MITM, I guessed it would be Jillian on the cover!

Bracken, well done on getting out there to complete your exercise target.

bfn
    xxxx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    LMV - your last post took me down memory lane and back to my days as a 19 year old working in a hotel on the Isle of Wight. I was living with my aunt in Totland Bay where to get down to beach you would have to go down loads of steps. At the end of the holiday season, having lived on a diet of ice-cream, chocolate and hotel food I joined my very first dieting club. Part of my exercise routine was to run up and down the beach steps twice daily and by the time I left the island 6 weeks later I was at my target weight for the first time! Now those were the days!

Today I'm heading out into the garden where I know there is lots of work awaiting me. The weather has been crazy, a week of hot sun, then a storm Saturday evening, followed by another Sunday evening leaving snow on the mountain tops yesterday. We have dropped 20°c overnight so not sure what to put on for my shift in the garden.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    An exercise report here- I did finish that 2 miles walk on June 20 after saying I was inspired here. Today and yesterday I did 2 miles in the morning before breakfast. I walked the other days but think it was broken into two parts. Yesterday I also added 3/4 mile on the treadmill so quite pleased. LMV, that is wonderful that you can see how much you have progressed in the past two years and can now easily do that considerable number of steps easily.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    LMV - there seem to be alot of days missing from your countdown.... Or are you back in your caravan?
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Popped in and read latest posts as it has been too rainy to walk this a.m.- have not mastered Nellie and an umberella! I plan to walk Nelie later and try to work in some treadmill. I'll go to the stables today but it may be too wet to ride outside and too hot inside. Either way Ill spend some time with my horse, Briar. May drop in later today.
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Sorry I have so many days missing. I don't know where the time has gone. I didn't do much today apart from running around the shops, did an hour of Pilates yesterday including the dreaded plank. Did some Rosemary the day before and then it's all a bit of a blur before that. Must get out for a run, but discovered this evening that our 3 visitors for a BBQ has grown to 6 and they are all staying the night. Need to run around the shops again tomorrow to get more food and make up the extra beds. I will be on the go all day (apart from when the Lions are playing) but it won't be formal exercise.

Will try and keep track and report better next week

xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Later the same day. Despite rain for large parts of the day I did manage to get my two miles of walking in and a short but good ride on my horse. Nellie really kept me moving along, what I would call jalking! (walking almost jogging)- I hope it is doing some good for my hips because I can feel it as we go.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Another short exercise post. Nellie and I walked 2 1/2 miles today. It was a lovely day, less humid after the rains we've had. I also mowed the lawn which I thinks adds a bit of exercise. By the way, MITM I have looked at the Jillian issue of Shape in a local bookstore- I didn't buy it because the exercises are basically the same as on the DVD but did read through the article, again nothing very new. The most interesting thing I've read recently was in our Globe and Mail newspaper yesterday which reported on a study that showed eating refined carbs activates areas of the brain associated with pleasure and addictive behaviour and concluding that for some people this is connected to overeating and/or binge eating. Hence the advice that for some people restricting refined carbs
    is advised. Since for me, overeating is always associated with carbs, usually sweet carbs, that is one more reason to make it a goal to really reduce my carbs.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Well done BRACKEN for making the effort to exercise! LMV I might have looked hot in my outfit but like you, where I'm not doing any daily Jillian or Rosemary I can feel the difference around the waist and stomach areas too hence the need for the jacket! The legs are just holding up better from all the gardening work as to weed here you have to have the balance of a mountain goat!! With the garden now under control for the next few days at least, I'm going to make a real effort to do some formal exercise as you call it this week before the muscles disappear altogether! We did not go through all that pain on the SHRED for nothing!!!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    I'm quite pleased as I managed to walk at least two miles a day every day for the past week and a couple of times did 2 1/2 miles.
    Yesterday I finally got my bicycle maintained and added a 15 minute bike ride, a beginning at least. Yesterday I also did a jumping lesson with my horse and was very pleased because the previous lesson I had to pull up because of problems with my hiatal hernia and GERD (acid reflux) but yesterday did both trotting and cantering jumps. Earlier in the week I did a couple of times on the treadmill too and am finding my endurance is improving. Moderating weather has been a blessing for me to exercise in this past week.
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bracken, you are an inspiration with all the exercise you are doing! All the crackers inspire me as I don't know that I would do any exercise other than walk the dog without the support of you all. I am determined to carry on with the swimming as well when I get back from the UK. Last year because I finally fit in the dress for the wedding I think I just went back to bad habits on returning here. Are you able to diet and exercise more efficiently if you have an occasion or event coming up? Maybe the other crackers can answer this for me too? x x Enjoy your walks with Nellie x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BM - that would make a good QOTW! Why don't you put it up on the thread?
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Thanks MB for your kind words- your support means a lot to me, and as you suggest it is the group support we have going which is so terrific. I admire you because I can imagine what difficult weather you have to routinely contend with. By the way, what kind of dog do you have and did you bring your dog with you from the U.K? Your question is a good one and I can certainly think of a number of times when I lost weight with a special occasion coming up. However, I put weight back on later. I can regrettably think of occasions when I lost weight because of an occasion, but the stress of it precipitated over-eating on the occasion. This year I have my nephew's wedding in October and at the moment that is not a strong motivation for my effort to lose weight I would say, although I have vaguely considered I'll need a special outfit. At the moment, I think my motivation is more about wanting to be healthy and to improve my fitness so I can do more activities better and easier. That said, now that you have raised the issue I am reminded of special occasions when I have been self-conscious about my weight and I hope to avoid that in October. Today I did 2 3/4 miles of walking and biked for 20 minutes. I had a nice ride on my horse too.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BRACKEN - Good for you! Keep up the exercise as your birthday is just around the corner!

BM - Further to your question about dieting and exercising for an event coming up, it reminded me of my very first '8 minutes in the morning' with Jorge Cruise exercise book, which logged your feelings etc. I used this book on my way to target 10 years ago (when I finally managed to hit and stay there for 8 years) so I got it back out again to find the question I remembered 'what pain has being unfit caused me?' And I had written 'it's caused me to feel at times embarrassed. Because on important dates during the year my clothes and body don't fit the desired image I want to portray. And knowing I have all the correct outfits hanging in the wardrobe makes it all the more annoying and the body that fits those clothes is inside this outer shell just shouting to be let out now! So enough is enough!! Well last night was my daughter's final school concert celebrating her leaving.... One of those social occasions I use to dread with the inevitable what to wear or rather what fitted. I wore the 'tight' smart trousers which felt even better 1/2lb lighter and felt I'd got it right! Looking around the room at the parents I can't believe that when my daughter started at the village kindergarten I was 'fat and unfit' amongst so many slim Mummys and felt the odd one out, yet now 10 years on, I'm one of the few slim and fit mothers and my husband was one of the few slim fathers. So many have succumbed to middle age flab. I feel I've won my personal battle as it's been a year since I've had more than 1/2 a stone to lose and it's now down to 3 pounds on my ticker. Oh and the daughter wore her 'confirmation' outfit from last year but I've since had to buy a new pair of trousers for her a size smaller!!
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    MITM, that is such an achievement for the 3 of you! I think the words you wrote 10 years ago could have been written by me now, and I am sure many others. I could not begin to count the social occasions I have not attended here over the past 5 years as I feel like a heifer and am sure I look like one too. It is far worse for me personally here than when I am in the UK as I have said before, size 10 is large and 12 is extra large in the stores. So at a size 16/18 I have no chance! You thoroughly deserved to wear those slim trousers and feel good about yourself. I am also 100% certain that each of us crackers will be in our slim clothes sooner rather than later. Thank you for sharing your personal diary! You are braver than I x x
  • brackenmh
    Options
    First, to report my exercise for today- 2 miles in the morning as well as a 20 minute bike ride. I'd hoped to do more in the evening but it didn't work out. MITM, congrats on your achievement and wonderful to hear that you felt good at your daughter's concert. I too thank you for sharing your journal as it puts clearly how I have so often felt in social situations. I have often wished I could just be invisible. BM, I understand how you must feel when you are in a culture where being small seems to be the norm. I have felt something similar when I have been at equestrain related functions where everyone seems to very slim. I have avoided certain functions in the past because of my weight at that time. One trend I have noticed, and it is true of all my sisters and one of my sisters-in-law is how many women of 40-50, who were at what was once considered to be a normal weight have dieted down to much thinner weights than when they were in their 20's/30's. So 130 is the new 140 sort of thing. Of course, one reads in the media that Marilyn Monroe would be considred overweight today.