Hourglass figure after weight loss - but I'm a dude :(

grggmrtn
grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
I lost most of the weight with only cardio - I'm now running about 7.5-10 k every other day - and I probably lost it too fast - 35 kg (over 77 lbs) in 19 weeks. My TOTAL loss since 2010 is 65 kg (143 lbs), with the plateau lasting a couple years ;) . Getting REALLY close to my goal weight now - I've got a bit of love handles left, and a little tummy, but keeping with my regime and hoping that will do the trick. It's not that the skin is TOO loose (I've been pretty lucky) but I am a tad droopy, so working the weights now.

So yeah, I'm looking kinda.. a little scrawny. I recently started weight training, using a lot of the tips from nerdfitness, working the big muscle groups - among others dumbell squats, overhead and bench presses, pullups and chinups (assisted for now), and some core work. Haven't started deadlifting yet - waiting for a trainer to get back on me so I do it correctly from day 1.

Not that I'm complaining about being too skinny, but I AM, after all, 189cm (6 foot 3) and have a large build.

Problem? The area on the sides of my torso right under my ribcage (obliques??) is noticeably thinner than both my ribs and my hips - Which means that I look more like I should be wearing a two-piece bikini rather than a speedo. My ribs DO seem a bit larger than normal, maybe because of the long-time obesity?

Needless to say, that's not cool with me.

Am I doomed to look like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model the rest of my life or is there hope? Anything I should be doing? Should I be isolating the obliques or do I have that covered in the other lifts that I'm doing?

P.s. adding a pic because... well it's easier to see. The pic is a couple weeks old and I'm not sure you can see what I mean, but here's hoping ;)

jh79df.jpg

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Your problem will get substantially better with the addition of regular heavy weight training.

Keep losing fat but keep lifting and focus on getting stronger in the big compound lifts over the course of weeks.

What is your current weight?
  • grggmrtn
    Your problem will get substantially better with the addition of regular heavy weight training.

Keep losing fat but keep lifting and focus on getting stronger in the big compound lifts over the course of weeks.

This morning I weighed in at 100.2 kg - I was 105 when this pic was taken. Hoping to lose another... 5 kg-ish before I stop looking at the scale and focus on the mirror instead? BMI says I need to lose 11 more before I'm "normal", but I'm not so sure?
  • SideSteel

This morning I weighed in at 100.2 kg - I was 105 when this pic was taken. Hoping to lose another... 5 kg-ish before I stop looking at the scale and focus on the mirror instead? BMI says I need to lose 11 more before I'm "normal", but I'm not so sure?

I wouldn't put a goal weight on it right now. Because your LBM is on the lower side you will probably need to lose more than you think you need to lose.

I would lift heavy (consider a pre-written program focusing on progressive overload), get in adequate protein, and re-assess this situation in another 20lbs or so.

Please see here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And I'd probably look here for a good program once you've learned to deadlift:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1
  • grggmrtn
    I wouldn't put a goal weight on it right now. Because your LBM is on the lower side you will probably need to lose more than you think you need to lose.

I would lift heavy (consider a pre-written program focusing on progressive overload), get in adequate protein, and re-assess this situation in another 20lbs or so.

Please see here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

A TDEE of over 3200 calories??? REALLY?? That's... almost three times as much as I've been eating since January :(
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    A TDEE of over 3200 calories??? REALLY?? That's... almost three times as much as I've been eating since January :(

^^ Wow, what is your current intake/macro split?
  • SideSteel

Please see here:

Those are estimations. Results will always trump an online calculator but that being said, you've also been losing weight at a ridiculous pace and it's possible you've lost some muscle mass by doing an all-cardio approach combined with what appears to be a significantly low calorie intake.

Also, you don't eat at TDEE. TDEE is the caloric level that you maintain at but those estimators will typically slightly over-estimate for heavier people.

If you actually did have a TDEE around 3200 I would begin a cut around the 2400-2500 marker, somewhere in there, just for reference.

Slowing your weight loss down at this point might not be a bad plan if you're focused on creating a more aesthetic physique.

If you'd like us to look at intake specifically, please open your diary. I'm curious what your calorie levels have been set at leading up to this.
  • grggmrtn
    Diary's open now - my tracking is a bit spotty during the past couple weekends, but spot-on during the weekdays, so it's probably best to look there.

On my way to the gym now - gonna see if one of the trainers can walk me though a deadlift so I don't have to pay for the whole hour ;)
  • SideSteel
    Diary's open now - my tracking is a bit spotty during the past couple weekends, but spot-on during the weekdays, so it's probably best to look there.

On my way to the gym now - gonna see if one of the trainers can walk me though a deadlift so I don't have to pay for the whole hour ;)

I'm showing an average food intake around 950 calories per day over the past two months.

Now even considering logging errors and estimations which means you're probably slightly over this, I'd recommend you stop this immediately. Moving forward, if your goal is to create an aesthetic physique you will need to eat more. Considering the length of time you've been at this low level of food intake you'll need to increase this incrementally.

If you want to be guided through this, let us know. It will be a process of sorts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Tagging.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    you've come to the right place...cant wait to see how things go:flowerforyou:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    In to talk lifting.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Interested in this topic...
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Your body doesn't really change shape until you get well under 20% body fat (for men). Until that point, you simply look like a smaller version of the same body.

Edit: And its very likely your "goal weight" is too high. People always overestimate how much fat they have and underestimate how much muscle they have.

The vast majority of people who get thin for the first time in their life realize they need to lose a lot more weight than they had ever imagined. Its normal. Just keep on losing weight. But continue to focus on weight training to ensure good body compositional improvements.
  • grggmrtn
    I'm showing an average food intake around 950 calories per day over the past two months.

Now even considering logging errors and estimations which means you're probably slightly over this, I'd recommend you stop this immediately. Moving forward, if your goal is to create an aesthetic physique you will need to eat more. Considering the length of time you've been at this low level of food intake you'll need to increase this incrementally.

If you want to be guided through this, let us know. It will be a process of sorts.

Ok I had NO idea my food was that bad - I mean, I'm not eating BAD - quite clean actually - I just really had the impression that I was consistently at 1200 with a few days here and there where I had trouble meeting my goal for the day...

And YES YES YES I would LOVE to be guided through this, and might actually BEG for it! There's so much conflicting info out there - I don't think I can go from the 950 to 2400 (or whatever I can still eat, get some sort of shape, and still lose body fat). I hate to say it, but I have to get it out of my head that the NUMBER is important - I just hate seeing triple digits on the scale (kg), and I'm SO close to only double-digits ;)

p.s. I had my body fat measured on some machine at the gym today - since I never got it measured before - posting here for benchmark:

Sex: male
    Height: 189 cm
    Weight: 100.5 kg (at 4 pm)
    BMI: 28.1
    BMR: 2115 kcal
    Impedance: 377 Ω
    Fat %: 19.8%
    Fat mass: 19.9 kg
    Lean mass: 80.6 kg
    Total body water: 59.0 kg
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member

Holy schnikies. :noway: I would die...I need at least 2000/day or I get seriously hangry, and my progress would be suffering bigtime.

Dude, let these guys help you out. :flowerforyou:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

Please see here:

Those are estimations. Results will always trump an online calculator but that being said, you've also been losing weight at a ridiculous pace and it's possible you've lost some muscle mass by doing an all-cardio approach combined with what appears to be a significantly low calorie intake.

Also, you don't eat at TDEE. TDEE is the caloric level that you maintain at but those estimators will typically slightly over-estimate for heavier people.

If you actually did have a TDEE around 3200 I would begin a cut around the 2400-2500 marker, somewhere in there, just for reference.

Slowing your weight loss down at this point might not be a bad plan if you're focused on creating a more aesthetic physique.

If you'd like us to look at intake specifically, please open your diary. I'm curious what your calorie levels have been set at leading up to this.

I would listen to this man. You're about the same height as me, and only slightly heavier (15lbs or so). I eat 2300-2400 calories a day. Eating 950 is not only a bad idea, it's a dangerous one. I'm not sure how you came up with your goal weight, but if you want to lose the chub and the love handles to change your shape you probably have a long way to go. Especially with all of the likely loss of muscle from eating so little. Just judging by your pic, if you want to have a fit physique you're probably looking at another 30lbs or so to go according to your BF %. Not trying to be a downer, just trying to be realistic.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Ignoring the calorie mumbo jumbo cause SS and Sara are way better at that than me.

What are you currently doing for exercise? What are your goals? Do you have anything big that you are training for/would like to train for?
  • grggmrtn
    I would listen to this man. You're about the same height as me, and only slightly heavier (15lbs or so). I eat 2300-2400 calories a day. Eating 950 is not only a bad idea, it's a dangerous one. I'm not sure how you came up with your goal weight, but if you want to lose the chub and the love handles to change your shape you probably have a long way to go. Especially with all of the likely loss of muscle from eating so little. Just judging by your pic, if you want to have a fit physique you're probably looking at another 30lbs or so to go according to your BF %. Not trying to be a downer, just trying to be realistic.

Not a downer - I'm a fan of reality (after having lied to myself for YEARS about my health...) - 30 lbs is about 13 kg, and that would put me at 87 kg. That's doable, even though the muscle I'm hoping to build might keep me from reaching that, but a good body fat % is ok too ;).

As in listening to "this man" - I'm ready. Promise. "My way" brought me to where I WAS, so obviously I'm not the expert ;)
  • grggmrtn
    Ignoring the calorie mumbo jumbo cause SS and Sara are way better at that than me.

What are you currently doing for exercise? What are your goals? Do you have anything big that you are training for/would like to train for?

Right now I'm doing weight training 2x per week, body weight on the third "weight" day (I can't get to the gym 3x per week with a day in between, so the third weight workout is only body weight). On my lifting days, I warm up with 5 km on the rowing machine, full resistance, then it's squats (45 kg today), overhead presses (30 kg), bent-over barbell rows (25 kg), dumbell presses (18 kg per hand), 3 sets of 10 each. Yeah, I'm a lightweight still ;)

I haven't graduated to deadlifts - couldn't get an appointment with a trainer for the next 2 months, so I'm thinking of getting friendly with the big guys while they're doing them, and maybe one of them can show me proper form.

On all the other days, it's cardio. I run on the treadmill (I know, it's better outside, but I'm a WHINER, and the treadmill keeps me from making the "it's too cold, or windy, or hot, or rainy" excuses), anywhere between 7.5 - 10 km, running speed pyramids or intervals between 10.9 (my normal speed) and 17 kph. Sometimes I push myself a bit and try sprints at 22 kph, but they kinda kick my butt after 60 seconds ;)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    A plan like Stronglifts 5x5 will still work for you. It calls for 3 days a week but I tend to do it more 3 lifts in eight days. I'm 43 and sometimes I need that extra recovery day.

Right now I'd say I look like your before picture but I'm carrying a lot more muscle. A few months of a 5x5 program and my wife grabbed my midsection the other day and, still with me carrying a belly, said "holy crap I can feel the muscles in there."

It will work, and added bonus you get to eat a lot more htan you have been!