Hourglass figure after weight loss - but I'm a dude :(

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    4hva6p.jpg

Weight June 11, 2013: 98.5 kg (217.15 lbs)
    Weight June 18, 2013: 96.8 kg (213.4 lbs)

Not sure if I see so much of a change this week???

Been on 1600 calories all week, lifting more and more, but still no bodybuilder ;) - squats 90 kg, deadlift 110 kg, bench press 70 kg, just to give an idea. I lift 4 days a week, still on the earlier mentioned program.

Been also doing a whole bunch of mountain biking - I figure, the season's not going to last forever, so I'm getting about 30 km in 4-5 x per week, more or less. The calorie burns go WAY down the days I don't get my ride in.

Please increase calories by another 200 kcal for the next week and report back to us in 1 week. You are still making very fast losses as expected and we'd like to continue this process. Expect us to be making continuous adjustments to this until you settle in at a given intake and we can then draw some conclusions. Great work so far.
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Please increase calories by another 200 kcal for the next week and report back to us in 1 week. You are still making very fast losses as expected and we'd like to continue this process. Expect us to be making continuous adjustments to this until you settle in at a given intake and we can then draw some conclusions. Great work so far.

Will do, starting today. Like I said, I trust you so I don't mind the adjustments. I'm just hoping for 1. finally getting rid of the muffin top (is it too much to hope for at LEAST 4-pack abs????) and 2. a good transition over into maintenance mode someday, so I can incorporate everything I've learned into a daily routine.

P.s. I just got into my first pair of 32 jeans in 26 years (so I bought three pairs :laugh: ). If you ruin that, I'm gonna cry like a 6 year old girl. Just FYI :sad:

2 small questions:
    1. Should I be eating the 1800 calories every day, even on the days I don't get much exercise in? My weekends are more leisurely as far as that's concerned, with more "sightseeing" mountainbike trips instead of "how fast can I get through the forest today".
    2. What do you think my final maintenance calories will be?
    3. Should I even be thinking about something like "goal weight"? I still need to lose 8 kg to reach "normal" BMI, but my doc's already telling me that I don't need to lose more, although he agrees with me about getting rid of bodyfat %.

I said just 2 small questions. I lied. :happy:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

1. Should I be eating the 1800 calories every day, even on the days I don't get much exercise in? My weekends are more leisurely as far as that's concerned, with more "sightseeing" mountainbike trips instead of "how fast can I get through the forest today".
    3. Should I even be thinking about something like "goal weight"? I still need to lose 8 kg to reach "normal" BMI, but my doc's already telling me that I don't need to lose more, although he agrees with me about getting rid of bodyfat %.

1. Yes, for now.
    2. I have no idea. We may not take you up to maintenance as that might not be necessary. The goal now is to just get your intake to a "healthy" range while still losing at a reasonable pace. Lots of vagueness in my reply, I know.
    3. I would disregard goal weight right now.

Focus on the process, focus on your training and on accurate food intake records/tracking. The results will take care of themselves.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member

1. Yes, for now.
    2. I have no idea. We may not take you up to maintenance as that might not be necessary. The goal now is to just get your intake to a "healthy" range while still losing at a reasonable pace. Lots of vagueness in my reply, I know.
    3. I would disregard goal weight right now.

Focus on the process, focus on your training and on accurate food intake records/tracking. The results will take care of themselves.

THIS!

It's hard to reset yourself to choose goals independent of weight, but it's really important.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    You look great and you're doing so awesome! You will get to where you want to be with time....but need to become healthy and eating proper first :) The team here is giving you great advice and you are rocking it! This is a process though, so settle in and enjoy the ride!

Great work :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Just to add my 2c

You can definitely see a difference. However, there will be times where you may not, just to set expectations. Weekly changes are often hard to see, especially as you get leaner and the weight loss will inevitably low down (as it should so you do not run the risk of losing muscle mass).
  • grggmrtn
    THIS!

It's hard to reset yourself to choose goals independent of weight, but it's really important.

Tell me about it! For so long it's been about the scale. Now... well here's what happened:

I read another thread on MFP about how it's IMPOSSIBLE to get stronger lifting while on a deficit. Which means... well it just got really confusing. If I'm not focusing on the weight, and I CAN'T get stronger, wtf am I supposed to be working towards??
    You can definitely see a difference. However, there will be times where you may not, just to set expectations. Weekly changes are often hard to see, especially as you get leaner and the weight loss will inevitably low down (as it should so you do not run the risk of losing muscle mass).

The weeks I don't see a change are gonna be tough. Mostly because of my confusion regarding my goals. Again, if I'm not losing weight, and not getting stronger, what SHOULD I be expecting? I'm working out like a mofo, riding my little butt off, working really HARD, so what SHOULD I be expecting if not weight loss and strength improvements?

I know, I'm bordering on whining, but it'll pass - I didn't get the sleep I needed last night, so it's a "poor me" day today hehe
  • Sarauk2sf
    You absolutely can get stronger on a deficit.

Also, the weeks you do not see a difference does not mean that you are not making progress.
  • grggmrtn
    You absolutely can get stronger on a deficit.

Also, the weeks you do not see a difference does not mean that you are not making progress.

Colour me comforted - thanks Sara :)
  • Sarauk2sf

The OP was mistaken. People often confuse size gains with strength gains. The purpose of strength training at a deficit is to maintain muscle mass. Except in a few finite circumstances, you can only make size gains when eating at a surplus.

However, strength training, whether at a deficit, maintenance or a surplus, causes neurological adaptations (your neurons fire better) - at a high level it is getting your brain to talk to your muscles more clearly, sort of creating new pathways to chat more. It does not involve size gains.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    People are confusing strength gain with size/muscle gain. No, aside from slight "newbie gains", you will not put on muscle while in a caloric deficit. With that said, the primary mechanism of strength gain is neuromuscular adaptation....your nervous system adapting to the load being placed upon it by becoming more efficient at recruiting/utilizing your existing muscle fibers. While you won't gain appreciable size in a deficit, you can gain very appreciable strength.
    If I'm not focusing on the weight, and I CAN'T get stronger, wtf am I supposed to be working towards??
    The strength training (along with adequate protein intake) will help preserve lean body mass, of which muscle is a component, while you lose fat. You'll get stronger and you'll get more "cut"/defined as the fat shrinks away. In the alternative scenario, you lose muscle mass along with fat and head toward what's called "skinny fat", or "normal weight obesity" - basically, you're skinny, but still with a high bodyfat percentage and you look like a droppy, saggy smaller version of your former fat self. Not exactly the desired result in most cases.
  • grggmrtn
    People are confusing strength gain with size/muscle gain. No, aside from slight "newbie gains", you will not put on muscle while in a caloric deficit. With that said, the primary mechanism of strength gain is neuromuscular adaptation....your nervous system adapting to the load being placed upon it by becoming more efficient at recruiting/utilizing your existing muscle fibers. While you won't gain appreciable size in a deficit, you can gain very appreciable strength.
    Gotcha. And THAT will help me also later on, when I get rid of the BF and want to start putting on muscle, I'm hoping (I asked Santa for a set of pecs for Christmas) ;)
    If I'm not focusing on the weight, and I CAN'T get stronger, wtf am I supposed to be working towards??
    The strength training (along with adequate protein intake) will help preserve lean body mass, of which muscle is a component, while you lose fat. You'll get stronger and you'll get more "cut"/defined as the fat shrinks away. In the alternative scenario, you lose muscle mass along with fat and head toward what's called "skinny fat", or "normal weight obesity" - basically, you're skinny, but still with a high bodyfat percentage and you look like a droppy, saggy smaller version of your former fat self. Not exactly the desired result in most cases.
    [/quote]
    No, droopy and saggy isn't what I'm going for - Thanks for your answers, both of you. I GOTTA get out of my head and start enjoying the process :D
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,071 Member
    bumping to see the end of the Cinderfella story.
  • grggmrtn

1. Might take awhile ;)
    2. Cinderfella *giggle*
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,071 Member

1. Might take awhile ;)
    2. Cinderfella *giggle*

I can wait! It's exciting to see such a terrific transformation in progress.
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Watching this thread too. Great job so far! the changes in your pictures are very clear, so don't give up hope!
    It just takes time! And always remember - "A moment on the lips, A lifetime on the hips" helps me in deciding what to eat and what to pass up.
  • grggmrtn
    Ok, not my official weigh-in day, but it's been a month since I got my BF measured and I got curious - here's a comparison

May 21
    Weight: 100.5 kg (at 4 pm)
    BMI: 28.1
    Fat %: 19.8%
    Fat mass: 19.9 kg
    Lean mass: 80.6 kg
    Total body water: 59.0 kg

June 20
    Weight: 96.8 kg (at 5 pm) (-3.7)
    BMI: 27.1 (-1.0)
    Fat %: 16.7 % (-3.1%)
    Fat mass: 16.2 (-3.7)
    Lean mass: 80.7 (+0.1)
    Total body water: 59.1 (+0.1)

Only added 100 grams of muscle, but I suppose that I should just be happy that I only lost fat :) - seeing these results got me pretty happy, helped out my workout today a bit :D
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Ok, not my official weigh-in day, but it's been a month since I got my BF measured and I got curious - here's a comparison

May 21
    Weight: 100.5 kg (at 4 pm)
    BMI: 28.1
    Fat %: 19.8%
    Fat mass: 19.9 kg
    Lean mass: 80.6 kg
    Total body water: 59.0 kg

June 20
    Weight: 96.8 kg (at 5 pm) (-3.7)
    BMI: 27.1 (-1.0)
    Fat %: 16.7 % (-3.1%)
    Fat mass: 16.2 (-3.7)
    Lean mass: 80.7 (+0.1)
    Total body water: 59.1 (+0.1)

Only added 100 grams of muscle, but I suppose that I should just be happy that I only lost fat :) - seeing these results got me pretty happy, helped out my workout today a bit :D

Come on, man. Drop the "only." You achieved what few people can manage. You dropped fat and maintained (even grew) muscle mass. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Nice work. My month to month progress is like snails.