Hourglass figure after weight loss - but I'm a dude :(

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I think you're doing great, and you could very well just be retaining water. Sounds like you're not freaking out over it, which is a great mindset. And congrats on the progression of your lifts! Even if the scale is being a bitch, at least you're seeing progress somewhere!!  Keep it up!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    It will almost definitely be water weight - it plays mean tricks on us. You also may be experiencing this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Enjoy your vacation and relax. Don't let the feeling that you need to log accurately over-shadow your fun. This could be a great break for a mini reset. Dieting is a stress on the body which can in turn be challenging for weight loss. You will also probably be a lot more active in any event. When you return you can get back on the wagon so to speak. Most importantly - have fun.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Ooh, I see a bicep in the last pic! Have fun on your mini-vacation.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Dude! There is totally a difference in the pics! Your arm looks more defined in the side shot and your stomach also looks flatter in the side shot! Just goes to show that the scale means *kitten* :smile:

You are getting leaner and progressing on your lifts and EATING the FOODZ! Great work! Enjoy your trip to London :drinker:
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    It will almost definitely be water weight - it plays mean tricks on us. You also may be experiencing this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Enjoy your vacation and relax. Don't let the feeling that you need to log accurately over-shadow your fun. This could be a great break for a mini reset. Dieting is a stress on the body which can in turn be challenging for weight loss. You will also probably be a lot more active in any event. When you return you can get back on the wagon so to speak. Most importantly - have fun.

I'm WHOOSHING!!! Wheeeeeee! :)

Not worried about it at all - I know I'm doing the work, I'm feeling great, i look so frikken awesome in a tank hehe... the abs will come (I THINK, depending on the sagginess of my tum skin).

Planning on enjoying the vacation, and totally planning on eating some sort of really gross sugar-and-carb-something-or-other at tea time. Just once. Because, you know, tea time.

Thanks again to everyone for the support. I know it can't be easy having to look at my shirtlessness and inspect for muscles lol. But they're THERE!! I can feel them, and I can see even more when I flex a bit ;)
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Enjoy your vacation.
  • grggmrtn
    Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks - I'll be back on Monday already - JUST in time for next week's weigh-in lol
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    I first noticed that your shorts (pants?) are fitting you much better between the first set and the last set of pics. There's no skin overlapping the waistband, particularly on your back. You're also getting some great muscle definition in your arms! You are totally killing it and inspiring me with every update! Enjoy your vacation :drinker:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    This is such a great thread...OP is doing awesome.. Sara and SideSteel are doing such a great job helping out people like us..thank you :)
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Yep I check in every week as well! Keep up the great work! :flowerforyou:
  • grggmrtn
    Weight July 30, 2013: 93.7 kg (206.5 lbs)
    Weight August 6, 2013: 95.3 kg (210 lbs)
    Weight August 13, 2013: 93.9 kg (207 lbs)

Vacation has come and gone. I logged NOTHING in London. I ate well, but I didn't log. I ate pie, because, as I found out, nothing beats a good British pie. I ate macrons (2 of them) because I'm tired of seeing them make them on masterchef and not knowing how they taste. I ate Pakistani, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, British, Irish and other unidentifyable ethnicities. Seriously, yum. Except the Scottish egg, that was just strange ;)

I also did bw exercises in our apartment, and did probably around 20-30 km daily on foot.

Did I mention I had a BLAST and wasn't too worried about weight loss for this ONE week? I didn't eat like a PIG, but i enjoyed things i haven't since my weight loss started in january. Yes, 42 kg later, Gregg had a dessert (actually a few) that didn't contain the words "low-fat", "diet" or "sugar-free" in them. Trick is, only having ONE (or half, since i shared a few with my partner instead of eating all the calories alone hehe), and then getting my butt moving afterwards.

It seems I lost most of last week's gain, so that's a plus.

But I'm back now logging my food, dying to hit the gym and squat my butt off :)

No photo update this week. It's plain laziness, will have photos next Tuesday.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member

Did I mention I had a BLAST and wasn't too worried about weight loss for this ONE week? I didn't eat like a PIG, but i enjoyed things i haven't since my weight loss started in january. Yes, 42 kg later, Gregg had a dessert (actually a few) that didn't contain the words "low-fat", "diet" or "sugar-free" in them. Trick is, only having ONE (or half, since i shared a few with my partner instead of eating all the calories alone hehe), and then getting my butt moving afterwards.

All of this = WIN
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    DUDE, you are doing an amazing job !!! Keep it up man !! What an awesome difference .....
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    There is just so much awesome in this thread! I'm so happy you enjoyed your holiday :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    I just read this entire thread. It's amazing the progress you've made in such a short time - all while EATING!!
    I will be keeping a close eye on this one!!
    (BTW, your arm in the latest picture, HUGE difference, your shoulder looks great!!)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

All of this = WIN

Agreed. Congrats on enjoying your vacation and not letting "dieting" rule you.
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    I just read through this whole thread and am *AMAZED* and thrilled and inspired.
    I can't wait to see what happens next!
    Congratulations on your success!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

All of this = WIN

Totally. I am glad you had fun.

Can you give us an update at your 2nd scheduled weigh in from now (1 - 2 weeks) so we can assess with your weight settled a bit after your vacation.
  • grggmrtn

All of this = WIN

Totally. I am glad you had fun.

Can you give us an update at your 2nd scheduled weigh in from now (1 - 2 weeks) so we can assess with your weight settled a bit after your vacation.

Will do Sara - it'll also give me a chance to recover from the little flu I got when I got home ;)
  • grggmrtn

So here we go:

m7qgpw.jpg

Weight August 13, 2013: 93.9 kg (207 lbs)
    Weight August 27, 2013: 93.0 kg (205 lbs)

Last week I weighed in at 93.1, so I've only gone down 100 g.

Last week I had a mini-pause with lifting, because ArroganceInStep who put together my lifting program was getting me ready for heavy triples (YAY!), which I started yesterday (squats, I failed. felt pi**ed off about it the rest of the day and I'm worried about BP day today *sigh*).

Diet - could be better. I tend to err on the low side of the calorie scale by a couple 100. It's easiest during the week when I'm in my "routine". But all in all it hasn't been terrible either.

As far as visible changes... not sure I see any. Lighting was off today (summer's going bye-bye - ick), so you can't see the bicep you could last time ;)

Is it me or am I starting to look scrawny? When do I get pecs? :laugh: