Training

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did 5k...................... on my bike. My MCL healed up nicely after a couple of weeks rest but I am still getting pain in my knee. Last week I was in agony just walking the dog and walking round the supermarket, and I couldn't straighten my knee. It's a lot better this week but still sore if I have to walk more than 1k or walk uphill, and I can pretty much straighten it out when its not sore. Doctor says ligaments are fine now and it could be swelling inside my knee, have to rest for another 6-8 weeks and if it's still sore I will get an orthopaedic referral. I'm pretty sure I will have to miss my 10k in September :(
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I will have to miss my 10k in September :(

Sorry to hear that! But the important thing is that you heal properly. I don't think my knee ever healed totally before I started activity again. I have a hard time listening to doctors. Probably why I am still dealing with this groin strain for 7 weeks now.

If you can keep biking do it. It's great cross training and will strengthen your legs. Do some full-body strength training too but careful on anything that might stress the knee.
  • romyhorse
    Options

Sorry to hear that! But the important thing is that you heal properly. I don't think my knee ever healed totally before I started activity again. I have a hard time listening to doctors. Probably why I am still dealing with this groin strain for 7 weeks now.

If you can keep biking do it. It's great cross training and will strengthen your legs. Do some full-body strength training too but careful on anything that might stress the knee.

When I am walking around the house or at work my knee feels fine and it is so tempting to try running on it, but as soon as I walk upstairs or take my dog for a long walk its a reality check. My plan is to keep cycling for a couple of weeks and then if my knee is feeling good try a short run, then take it from there. I have been doing strengthening exercises and stretches which have been helping.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. But biking is great exercise!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Oooh. Sorry you have to miss your 10K. I had to miss my first triathlon, so I know how you feel. (But maybe with your cycling, you'd consider taking up triathlons??) I am still not healed, but have started working my arm again. I save it for when it counts, though - ONLY for triathlon related activities - no other activity is important enough for me to jeapordize another event. I even skipped the start of "Insanity" at my gym, which was upsetting.

But, the cycling doesn't bother your knee? (I only ask because I currently have a fabulous bike to use, compliments of my friend who has knee issues from riding too much.)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    So sorry Romy! I'm sorry To miss your v-company as it nears. Though as others have said... it's about healing right. I have my first 10k next week, then one in Sept. I ran 6.16 today on a hilly partial trail course and I'm psyched. My goal for this race is to take any performance pressure off myself and just have fun with my aunt. And to stick together over speed.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Oh, Romy! I 'm so sorry to hear that your knee is so troublesome. It's good you were able to get on a bike though. Let it have the time it needs to heal and don't rush it. Is swimming an option for you? A woman in my running group this Spring was injured while training for a marathon, but she started swimming when she could not run and she actually came back stronger! And was able to resume training after a couple of months.

Jessie- That's great about your 10K run!!! You've done the distance , now you can just go make it "official" in a race ! :-)!!!!

I have made it to 5 miles! But I am not following a real training plan. I'm kinda going by the seat of pants, mixing up distance and intervals and a litlle hillwork (every two weeks) as my life schedule allows. I need to try to get back on a real plan, but my kid's schedules are really messing with my run schedule, so I am doing what I can. I still have not made an appointment with a chiropractor but that's on my list of things to try to squeeze in. I have a lot of travel coming up this month too, so that will make my runs even more of a challenge. but I am determined to figure it out.
  • romyhorse
    Options

But, the cycling doesn't bother your knee? (I only ask because I currently have a fabulous bike to use, compliments of my friend who has knee issues from riding too much.)

Thankfully it doesn't bother my knee, there are a few runners in my office who have had knee problems and they all recommended cycling, as you're not putting your bodyweight on it. It is particularly good for me as it is straightening my knee that is the problem and I don't need to straighten it when cycling. Unfortunately I am not a swimmer, I don't mind swimming when on holiday but I'm one of those people who don't like getting their face wet! Not to mention that swimming costs money and I can't afford to do anything that costs money, my amazing Specialized bike is a tax deduction on my husband's wage or I wouldn't have a bike either, though he did have to explain why he needed a ladies bike to cycle to work, lol!

I am glad to hear your arm is improving, have you another triathlon coming up? And I'm glad to see that everyone else's running seems to be going well, just makes me want to get better all the sooner!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    There have been people who have trained for marathons by biking/swimming when injury was an issue. I seem to remember seeing an actual plan for this...I'll post it if I find it again.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    There have been people who have trained for marathons by biking/swimming when injury was an issue. I seem to remember seeing an actual plan for this...I'll post it if I find it again.
    Ooh, that sounds interesting, I googled it and found the Train Like A Mother one, would that be the same one? I still have outside hopes for my 10k in the back of my mind, but I'm trying not to drive myself crazy thinking about it, lol,
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yes. I think that's it.

I haven't tried the Train Like a Mother plans, but I was very intrigued and I've heard good things about them.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    My knee is still feeling okay, ran 5k on Tuesday and 3k today and cycling 7 miles 2-3 weeks. Going to try and slowly build up my distance, still got 6 weeks till my race so I'm still hopeful I might get to run it.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My knee is still feeling okay, ran 5k on Tuesday and 3k today and cycling 7 miles 2-3 weeks. Going to try and slowly build up my distance, still got 6 weeks till my race so I'm still hopeful I might get to run it.

This is good news! Sounds like you're on your way!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Fingers crossed!!!
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    I'm routing for you!!!!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Don't want to jinx myself but I did a trial run on Sunday and it went really well. I have been running on grass for a couple of weeks and this was my first time running on the road. I did 6km and even with walking down a steep downhill section I still managed to clock up my fastest time yet. I beat my fastest 5k time but the last km was tough and a lot slower. I do find that running on grass really helps my speed when I run on the road, I have to work so much harder on the grass it makes running on the road seem much easier. Just need to work on building up my distance again.

My husband has now hurt his knee, the same one in the same place as me. Let's hope he keeps it till I have done my race, I don't want it back!
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Yay Romy! So glad to hear how well it's going. Hope hubby feels better.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Don't want to jinx myself but I did a trial run on Sunday and it went really well. I have been running on grass for a couple of weeks and this was my first time running on the road. I did 6km and even with walking down a steep downhill section I still managed to clock up my fastest time yet. I beat my fastest 5k time but the last km was tough and a lot slower. I do find that running on grass really helps my speed when I run on the road, I have to work so much harder on the grass it makes running on the road seem much easier. Just need to work on building up my distance again.

My husband has now hurt his knee, the same one in the same place as me. Let's hope he keeps it till I have done my race, I don't want it back!

One of the trainers at my gym hurt his knee & couldn't run for a long time. When he started again he started running on grass - the surface was easier on his knee (less impact). Now he runs barefoot on the treadmill & wears the toe shoes outside and said those also help because it forces you into a more natural form.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

One of the trainers at my gym hurt his knee & couldn't run for a long time. When he started again he started running on grass - the surface was easier on his knee (less impact). Now he runs barefoot on the treadmill & wears the toe shoes outside and said those also help because it forces you into a more natural form.

I have read that the ultra cushy padding in running shoes actually keeps your body from sensing the impact and prevents the subtle adjustments that it would otherwise make. I often think about this...but with my heavy weight, flat feet, plantar fasciitis, and inward roll, I am afraid to abandon my corrective shoes and inserts. But I do wonder...

I never thought of running barefoot on the treadmill. I wonder if my Y would object? (I do not have a treadmill at home.)
  • likitisplit
    Options

I have read that the ultra cushy padding in running shoes actually keeps your body from sensing the impact and prevents the subtle adjustments that it would otherwise make. I often think about this...but with my heavy weight, flat feet, plantar fasciitis, and inward roll, I am afraid to abandon my corrective shoes and inserts. But I do wonder...

I never thought of running barefoot on the treadmill. I wonder if my Y would object? (I do not have a treadmill at home.)

I also don't see a lot of barefoot athletes. However, they do wear racing flats, which are pretty minimal. The thing is, nobody really knows whether minimal is better, or when it is indicted. There are *different* types of injuries with each, but not *less* id try running barefoot up and down a hall at home, and then find a safe grassy area, just to strengthen your feet and get the feel of the foot strike