2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Run did not go well, 2 miles into the 4 miles tummy upset. It wasn't going well even before that I was struggling and sweating and alternating between walking and jogging. I couldn't finish. Hike tomorrow and will try the 4 miles again on Sunday.
    Sarah, I have been doing distance lately, following a cardio plan on the WD website. A half-marathon? Good for you! Quite a challenge. I have never run any races except warrior dash.
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Amy- I'm so nervous! I think it's going to be a mind over matter thing. Keep at it! I find some running days for me are just duds. Super tough.

A quick question: do you ladies think protein shakes in the morning are an ok idea? Ive dine that lately... I've heard different things about it not mattering or not mattering when you eat what you eat. But is it bad to get a lot of protein in the beginning of the day way before you workout?
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sarah - protein shakes have worked out really well for me when I have a morning workout. They give you a boost without making your stomach feel really full. Also, I subscribe to a fitness magazine and almost every "diet plan" that they have posted starts with a protein shake first thing in the morning.

I have also noticed that with running every day is a different day. Of course, I always feel like I am going to die at the very beginning - that never seems to get better, but most of the time after the first mile I get used to it. I usually run between 3-4 miles and I have only done 5K's. My boredom threshold is about 30 minutes with running even with music so I am not sure that I wil ever be able to go further.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey chicks. Hope your weekends were grand. Mine was pretty good; a bit lushy, but still managed to get some activity in and some things accomplished. I was aiming for 6w6p 4x and 2 runs but ended up with 6w6p 3x and 3 runs: 2 miles, 3.5 miles and 1.5 miles. I'm actually liking my treadmill. Weird. Speaking of running, I am trypically a 2-3 mile runner; I also get bored. I have done probably 15 5ks and have done 5 or 6 10k's and a 10 mile race 3 times. I'm going to do a mini in April. At least that's the plan. We did quite a bit of walking this weekend and I mowed and stained the deck yesterday so I think it all worked out. I definitely consumed a lot of calories Saturday at a crab boil. Not only was there lots of yummy food, but red and white sangria, spiked lemonade and wine. I feel a little fluffy today so think I'll drink a bunch of water to try to de-fluff. I'm sticking to the same plan as far as workouts go for at least the entire month, maybe more. I've been tossing around the idea of modifying my diet as in monitoring some macros or something but I don't know. I may give it another 2 weeks to let my body adjust to my new workout routine and then throw a little something extra in. I am aware that I eat lots of carbs. I am aware I eat a lot too. I am consistently between 1800 and 2000 calories and it is going to suck when I stop nursing and don't have that 500 calorie burn each day. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while I can.

Hope you all have a great week! Is it goal time again? I lose track.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hey All! Happy Monday!

I had a good weekend! Went to the soccer game and drank tons of beer and ate nachos. They weren't worth it and I think they really messed with my digestion but it was cheat night so wahtever. Lesson learned - cheat with food that's worth it :) I also kept it together Sunday. Didn't hit my macros BUT opted for really healthy pizza and 2 salads for my meals. A vast improvement from typical hangover Kate! I have a crazy week coming up - not sure how much I'll be posting but I will be logging.

I am just making my goals for this week:

1. Get all work outs in. Lift today, cardio tomorrow before work. Lift in the hotel gym Wednesday and Friday and do cardio in the hotel Thursday with my final cardio session in Sunday.
    2. Nutritionally I won't be able to make this work quite the same as a week at home but here's the plan: hit protein everyday (bring powder with me to help), don't go over on calories. Cheat meal will be Friday or Saturday, not decided.
    3. Alcohol - I am seeing a friend for the first time in year Thursday, I can drink 2 drinks then. I have a bar crawl Friday, I can drink then. I have a wedding reception Saturday I can drink then. But I can only go crazy 1 night. To be decided. But I need to be strict with myself.

Sarah - you're obviously making a lot of progress! I've definitely noticed in your diaries :) Congrats! On abs - I always struggled with them. Even in highschool when I was pretty fit and running a ton I had a pudgy tummy. I evened out a bit as I got older but really I've seen the most progress from sustained weight training (just building a better core I think) and more recently from a consistent and cleaner diet. I have done a pretty darn good job of cutting junk during the week. I save one evening when I can/drink whatever and am working on getting clean over the weekend. The key for me is plan plan plan. I won't munch on something stupid if I have a meal planned out and ready. And protein shakes in the morning are fine. It doesn't really matter when you eating anything in particular (excepting pre/post workout stuff), just do what works for you.

As far as sizing etc I am just under 5'6" and weigh around 141 right now with 22-24% body fat I think. Sizing is tricky - in terms of true sizes I am a 6, that's what I wear in designer clothing but for commercial brands I can wear 2s and 4s depending on cuts (size inflation and all that). I have a pretty straight and narrow frame naturally - my last set of measurements were bust 35.5, waist 28.5, hips 35, butt 38.5. My goal look is early Kate Middleton who has my exact measurements minus 5 inches everywhere :) lean/athletic

Oh and LP is my name for Leigh Peele :)http://www.leighpeele.com/about

Ashley - I get you on the lushy weekend! I drank SO much beer on Saturday. I think you're on the right track - stick with your current plan and after a little while maybe change up your macros. What are your carbs set to now? On eating less, it will suck at first but you'll adjust I after a week or so I bet!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Sarah - I found Stage 2/4 to be my least favourite stages. I liked 1, 3, 5 and 6. 7 is a *kitten*, but I'm just about through it (for the second time). Well, I should say I have 5 more Stage 7 work-outs and then I am done! I should be done by the time I leave on vacation on August 11!

Amy, sorry your run didn't go well - but I wouldn't chalk it up to anything other than a "bad day". Tummy troubles can finish off ANY work-out, in a heartbeat!

Abigail - I've started into a protein shake for breakfast. I had TOO many days of eggs/Cdn back bacon in a row (probably 60??) and now I just can't swallow it, lol! So, protein shake it is!

chui - I'm with you on making some goals, here are mine:

1. eliminate bad carbs. I have had 2 days without bad carbs, and nearly without carbs, actually (I had 2 x bananas on Saturday and 2 x servings of sugar snap peas on Sunday - that was IT for carbs!). With 3 more days to go, I expect ALL carb cravings to disappear and then I can reintroduce LOTS of veggies and a FEW fruits into my nutrition plan.
    2. eat at a deficit. I've determined I want to drop 10 lbs. by my November birthday. So, that means laser-beam focus. I'll keep heavy-lifting to avoid losing too much muscle, but I know I won't be putting on any muscle in the next 3 months. That's okay, I want to reduce my body fat % so that the muscle I do have is actually ON DISPLAY.
    3. encourage rest. I'm not sleeping well - and that's a problem. I'm overdoing *stress*, I think. So, other than my 3 x heavy-lifting, if I get in some cardio, great. But, if I don't, that's great too - that's what the calorie deficit is for!

Good luck to all you 2-week-challengers.

(PS - can you tell that month-end photos/measurements are this week for Beeps???)

(PPS - Instead of me CRAMMING all the hard work into the last week of the month, I'm determined to keep it all month long. I forgive myself for last week - haven't had 4 straight days with my husband and NO kids in 11 years! But, that's enough. Back to proper fitness/nutrition/rest - it is KEY TO MY SURVIVAL!)
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Oh Monday Monday!!! How I need you in my life right now :tongue: Sounds like everyone is doing great, making tweaks to food and exercise due to things they learned this past week, planning ahead and moving forward!!!!

Overall, last week was good. Nutrition was spot on Sun-Fri. Sat, I didn't log, but made good choices, however, Sunday was a bust. I was just so exhausted from all the prepping/planning of my food and the kids' food, I was exhausted and spent :ohwell: So yesterday was a cheat day. I do have to say I am quite proud of all the healthy food options and meals we ate while camping...great stuff! Gotta love Pinterest! On Fri, I did manage to get in a trail/campground run with a bodyweight circuit in the middle, then Sat, I went home to pick up some items and did a 20 min HIIT session on the treadmill :bigsmile: That made me feel good! I did partake in some booze, but never got hungover, phew!

So, it's back to it today, keeping my same goals:
    1. Log
    2. Cleaner Eating
    3. 3x weights
    4. 2x HIIT (run 21 min, 1 min recovery x5, then walk at 12% @4.0 for 2 min, recover 2min x2).

I really need to stay on it this week. Saturday, my bestie and I are going to Kansas City for the Enrique Iglesias and Jennifer Lopez concert!! (will you still be out of town, Kate?) I CANNOT wait!!! I use their music for my warm ups and cool downs in class! So excited :bigsmile:

Alright ladies, let's start this week with a bang!! :drinker:

P/S/ Sorry I couldn't respond to everyone...if I'm gonna get to the gym I gotta go now!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!

Overall I did ok. Friday was good, went a little over. Saturday I drank more than planned, but didn't go totally off track. Sunday I barely ate anything, but drank too much and kinda feel like crap today. I did get in my Insanity workouts Friday and Saturday and took my rest day yesterday.

Kate-we have almost the exact same body! Except you have a couple inches on me in the bust department :cry: Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that, I think I am at 34" Good luck on keeping it together while out of town

Ashley- good job on getting your runs in!

I agree that everyday of running is different no matter how good of shape I am in. Sometimes I feel like I can go forever and others I can barely get started.
  • amysj303
    Options
    My goals for this week: 1 day of speed work, 1 day cross train, 1 4-mile run and 1 5-mile run. It should fit into my schedule just fine.
    My weekend was very full. I was lazy Friday. Saturday we went for a long hike and that was nice, then we went to comedy show, Sunday went to Dragonboat festival and another comedy show.
    My diet has left a lot to be desired so I would like to eat a bit better. I have organics delivery coming tomorrow...
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    OK, here are my goals for the next 2 weeks:

1. 6week 6pack 4x a week (or 3x if I do an extra day of running)
    2. run 2x
    3. Be smart with booze; hopefully this means not 2 nights of "heavy" drinking on the weekend

Kate, my carbs are set to 200 a day. I think that is a lot. I also think under 100 is unrealistic for me. When I do take a look at these, I may aim for 150 or do some kind of carb cycling. I know my body does respond to cutting carbs. I did the South Beach Diet when it was popular and lost 4 or 5 pounds in 2 weeks.

Amy, don't sweat the crappy running day. It happens. SO many things can factor in: dehydration, what you've eaten, lack of sleep, muscle fatigue.....sounds like you are very committed to the running. Good for you.

Just to add my measurements in because I think it is interesting to see others' body comps:
    I'm 5'2", around 130, current measurments taken a few weeks ago around 6 months post partum 38-30-36. So yeah, I have a pretty large chest (even larger now than before), thick waist and reasonable butt and hips. My legs measure 21.75 each, so they are reasonably thick as well, but they are generally toned except that part by my butt and upper inner thighs of course. I am a medium to large build. I typically wear size 8 Petite in standard Ann Taylor, The Limited, etc. type stores. But sizes in my closet range from a 4 (White House Black Market skrirt) to 11 (a pair of Junior shorts I bought last summer from Target, but they fall off of me now).

I've meant to ask about muscle loss; Beeps mentioned it. I know it is incredibly hard to put on muscle mass as a female. But say I do gain a little bit more and then heavy lifting doesn't fit into my routine anymore, or as much, to maintain that "mass". Does muscle really turn to fat and mush if it isn't worked? I think the answer is yes because after pregnancy (even though I was working out but not as mcuh and hardly any strength training) my legs did not look good. They are better now, but this is something that almost scares me away from lifting heavy.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I agree, measurements are interesting and I was thinking how mine are pretty close to Kate's, too. I am 5'4" and around 115, but I haven't weighed for awhile.
    Bust-36
    Waist-27 (smallest part)
    Hips-34

Also, we were talking about vinegar awhile back and I saw this "Scientists in ­Sweden discovered that when people consumed 2 tablespoons of vinegar with a high-carb meal, their blood sugar was 23 percent lower than when they skipped the antioxidant-loaded liquid. They also felt fuller." for what it's worth:tongue:
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies...haven't been on much between the storms we got that killed power and some home rules being reconfigured where we've started limiting the kids 'technology time' (i.e. comp, gameboxes, tv) so I had to follow suit and stop spending so much time on MFP! Lead by example right?!

Just dropped by to wish everyone a great start to their weeks and to check in. Seems like weekends are progressing, good news! And some great goals are set.

I'm taking a breather and setting only 1 goal for the next 2 weeks and that's to focus on my training by getting in all the workouts and fueling them properly with good eats. No real specifics because let's face it...I know which foods help and which hinder. DH pretty much gave me the 'I treat this as a science experiment speech' when I googled Applebee's menu before going out for our 1 night out of the month. And though, I think it is a science experiment-I also see his point of it impeding on some of my family time by me being too tunnel visioned. This could mean my goals could be harder to reach, or it could mean the opposite if I loosen up a bit. Either way, I've decided to only set the goal of completing these workouts for the next 2 weeks and just being health conscious. Sounds bad when I say it that way, (and I may smack myself later) but I need a little mental break. Not the same speech I had two weeks ago, I know but that's sort of how life works...rolling with the waves here. :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'll enter my measurements when I take them on Wednesday morning....suffice it to say I'm taller than y'all (I think), older than y'all (I know!) and am jealous of your tight-little-body's....YOU'RE AWESOME!

mama - I think "tunnel vision" is applicable to many of us, here, on mfp (myself included). I'm glad to read you are trying to take a moderate approach and, I believe you will be 100% successful over the next 2 weeks - and the FEELING of "success" counts for LOTS, in my books.

Amy - I haven't weighed ALL MONTH. (1 of my promises, during this 6-month-challenge I entered, is to get into GOOD LIFETIME habits. My obsession with the scale was NOT a "good lifetime habit". I have relieved myself of it. And, I'm RELIEVED, in general!)

BetterBalance - it isn't that your "muscle turns into fat" - chemically that just isn't how it works in the human body. BUT, if you are not tearing down your muscle micro-fibers (which is what "training to fatigue" means), then your muscles aren't growing, and likely aren't even staying the same. So, you lose muscle mass. And, if you are eating maintenance calories, such that your weight isn't going up/down, then the fat% will increase by the amount of your muscle-mass loss. Even fat people have muscle! (And sometimes, plenty of it.)
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating to do measurements sometimes- hard to be sure you're in the exact same place and pulling just as tight. I guess it's harder when you haven't changes dramatically, but just a bit. I'm 5'7.5" and 157ish pounds. 37" bust, 30 1/8" waist, 37 1/8" hips.

Everyone does such a good job of checkin in and talking about what they did/will do. All excellent reminders and great ways to improve!! Good job, Ladies!!

I agree with the running thing. It is so hit or miss. That leads me to my goals:

1. At lease one smaller run this week and one bigger run this weekend. If I'm going to get serious about actually finishing my half marathon, I need to step up the running.
    2. Log everything, and make it as good as I can. Usually requires extra focus for me. I'll report back on my eating habits.
    3. Lots of stretching after lifting sessions. I sort of strained my back at the beginning of the month, and I find that although it doesn't bother it directly, lifting can cause it discomfort the next day especially when I first get up. Don't want to stop lifting if it doesn't obviously strain it, but of course I would if need be. One more workout in stage2.

Ashley, just like you I worried about starting to lift and stopping.
  • abigail1977
    Options
    Hello everyone, just checking in. I forgot to post my goals yesterday.

Excercise - a mix of run, lifting, dance & yoga (must improve my flexiility!)
    Food - I have been doing okay with calories, protein, carbs, etc but still seem a little puffy. I decided to look back at my diary and I noticed I go over on my sodium a lot so that could be it - any thoughts? I will log everything and pay more attention. Of course, it also could be the wine I drink at night to relax, but I'm not sure I can give that up :)

I have not weighed or taken measurements since May so I am going to do that again this week and I'll post my results here.
  • abigail1977
    Options
    I just re-read my last post and noticed a mistake. It's sugar that I keep going over on, not sodium. (I'm not quite awake yet). I like sweet stuff, not salty!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    We must all be busy or something.....

Just a quick chekin here. I did 6w6p the last 2 days even though I worked "late" last night and intended on skipping my workout but got it in during the late nap. I'm glad I did. I'm a little sore today; I really worked it last night. Tonight I run.

Here's something I made up last night that was pretty good:

I grilled a couple chicken breasts seasoned with salt, pepper and dried oregano. I made a mixture of 1/2 English cucumber diced, a little sun dried tomato diced (fresh would have been better but I didn't have one), couple tablespoons feta cheese, juice of 1 lemon, touch of olive oil, dried dill, about 3/4 c plain low fat yogurt. I mixed it all up, let it sit out about 30-45 minutes and served it over the chicken with a side of couscous. It was rather yummy.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did my month-end measurements and photos. I haven't done the "side-by-side" comparison, but, here's what I can remember:

1. up 0.9 lb.
    2. bicep is down 1/2". Weird as this measurement NEVER changes. I expect hubby measured in a slightly different spot than before.
    3. natural waist and belly-button waist have stayed the same.
    4. hips are down 3/4". Weird, as this measurement SHOULDN'T have changed this month. Again, I expect hubby measured in a slightly different spot than before.
    5. My thighs (upper and mid-) were slightly down (1/4" each, maybe?)

So, no big changes. No big surprises. With a better "in-check" diet this month, I'm hoping for a bit better end-of-August results.

(PS - I left 50g of carbs on the table, yesterday! Woo hoo!!!)

So, I am 43 years old, 5'9" tall, weigh 159 lbs. and my measurements are 33"-28.5"-40".

This demonstrates just HOW PEAR-SHAPED I am. But, it also gives me hope because my hips are JUST ABOUT in the 30's and I think I can get them there this month or next month.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone is moving along this week! I have had less than stellar weigh-ins the last two days as I am coming off the carb/alcohol frenzy from camping. I can't believe how 1 day of bad eating no logging and 3 nights of alcohol can have such an affect on me :grumble: So, this morning after feeling so discouraged, I decided to take pics and compare them to day one of re-commitment 2 weeks ago and felt better after seeing the improvements. Just goes to show, although we already know this, the scale is the devil :devil: lol!

Ok, I have more to say, but my little one thinks he's starving, so I should make him so food! :tongue: Have a Happy Hump Day!!:flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    Options
    Monday was my rest day but I didn't drink any alcohol, which was good. Tuesday I did my speed work around the lake, it's just running for .25 miles, then walking .25 and alternating 5 times, that went ok. Will cross-train today and rest tomorrow and hope that Friday I will finally break through and jog for more than 2 miles. I am feeling discouraged but I remember two years ago when I did couch to 5k I was really stuck at week 7 but then I just kept at it and it happened, so here's to hoping. I think the rest days are important. With C25K it was only 3 runs per week. I have a added a cross-train day but that is only 4 days so I am resting.