Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Add in a couple of HIIT cardio sessions a week and you should be good to go. I WISH I would've done this the entire time!

thanks I'll have to research it!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

Oy what a tough workout for me today. I just had no energy it seemes. I didn't add any weight and I'm strill struggling iwth the shoulder presses and lunges (I'm getting so I despise them!!). You all would have laughed at the running conversation I had with myself today - OMG I can't do another one! Just one more... do one more and you can quit.. over and over and over. The only ones I did truly successfully were my deadlifts (holding at 95# and the swissball crunches - I'm holding a 5lb plate and doing 30 each set). But I hung in there and hit the form. I'm holding on Stage 1 until after my 2 week vacation next month because I know I won't do anything at all those 2 weeks, except whatever fun hikes and stuff the kids have planned - they live in the Ozarks, and there's a whole lot of things to do there.. So the week before I'll doo AMRAPS and be excited about the improvement!

FB I hope all those yucky medical issues clear up quickly and you'll be back to feeling good soon!! I have been there, I know what it feels like and I hope yours are as successfully treated as mine were and with no repercussions! And congrats on moving to Stage 4!!

Sammy, ditto what the others have said. I do some HIIT on the stationary bike even in Stage 1.

Jnh, glad you're feeling better!

Mary... step away from the ice cream!! Congrats on starting Stage 7. Truthfully, I think you're doing a great job, and I know you want more visual results, but you know you're my hero. Even tho you're discouraged, you keep on! I think your Disney vacation will be just what you need to change how you're feeling.

Amanda you look aesome!

Melissa the back flys are one of the posture exercises but she' using 2 lb weights I think. No it's not in my stage that's true. I don't think a few would hurt on off days. Anyone have opinions on this?

Holy crap Sam 600 cals??? That's incredible!!! You Zumba folks are nuts totally!!

Chubbycowgirl, is your gym a national chain or just local? Name please if it's national?

Hey... I miss Beeps!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sue and Jnh, better? LOL

Sue, you are MY hero!

Thanks all. I am getting better.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Amanda - you look awesome!!! Good for you for showing off that body!

Sammy - definitely add in more cardio if you're looking to lose weight. The weights are great and will help you keep your muscle and rev up your metabolism, but cardio is what drops the weight. A good combination should work well.

Sue - way to stick it out and finish your workout!! Those kinds of days are hard to get thru.

Sam - great burn at Zumba. It feels great to get that good cardio in there sometimes.

Cowgirl - glad you found a gym that works for you. I actually enjoy working out at home, but have been using the gym at work this Stage and hate being in there with the boys. I hate how my belly sticks out when I do any kind of bending over or squatting. At least I do get some eye raises when I pick up the heavier weights. :-)

Finished 5A4 yesterday, so one more workout tomorrow and I'm on to Stage 6 next week. I think I'm going to have to do workout A at home and workout B at the gym since they have heavier dumbbells and I have the barbell at home. I may have to just look at getting adjustable dumbbells, but I hate to do that after I already spent so much money getting up to 25 lbs. I can't believe how fast I shot past the 25 lbs. Plus I would have to be changing the weight all the time during alternate exercises.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Those posture repairing exercises look nice. I have OK posture - the back injury I suffered a while back (it's crazy that it's been almost 2 years now) kind of made it so I have weird back. LOL, but I find that when I'm working on my back flexibility my posture looks awesome.

thanks y'all! Yeah, down with sex organs! LOL. Looks like we all need to protest them. ;)

Manic, I'm excited for you to finish! I am jealous of disney world, too. SO JEALOUS.

Amanda, that bikini picture is super hot! Go you!

Sam, I'm always amazed at Zumba burns. It does feel like you're being beaten to death while doing it, though, so it has to be right!

jennie, the adjustable dumbells are definitely nice. If you check around on craigslist, you may be able to find them for a decent deal. :)

I didn't bring a worksheet and I forgot what was in stage 4, so I just did a ... random workout containing things I suspected were in Stage 4 - and then also did squats. LOL. New PR. Yaaaaay. I am busting out PRs left and right, which means even though I'm enormous, I must be doing something right? Right? Or eating so much my workouts are superfueled. LOL
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Sue and Jnh, better? LOL

Sue, you are MY hero!

Thanks all. I am getting better.

I blame the cookie I ate today on you...besides that, now we're good!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

but I bet it was sooo worth it
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wahoo, heaps to catch up on - Amanda - you ROCK that bikini! Wow!

Sammy, I have lost weight doing NRoL4W but I am running / fast walking on the days inbetween. So 3 days a week lifting and 4 walking / running / moving!

I also bought an HRM which has made my workouts far more effective and measures exactly how much effort I am making.

Sue, our mum nagged us all to stand up straight and thankfully the good posture stuck!

As for ovaries etc - I had my tubes tied when I was 25 (always knew I didn't want kids and did not want a lifetime of chemicals controlling my fertility). I would really have liked to have a hysterectomy though as I get recurring fibroid cysts. The current ones are only small though, non cancerous and dont impact on my health so I am ignoring them.

Home gym - yep, I recognise the drawback but I have swapped around how some of hte exercises are paired up so I don't have to change weight plates between sets. That's working better for me.

Have a good day all.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My cousin, who is doing the program with me, checked in with her progress today. Remember she started at just below the 200lb mark. She is in stage 4, and has lost 16lbs, and went from a size 20 to a size 16. She just had to buy all new bathing suits for a up coming vacation. She does a good deal of swimming and aqua fit on non lifting days. I'm so excited for her and she looks great. She says she is very happy with her progress, and even more excited that she can pick up her own kids.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Manic - love the new picture!! The other one made me hungry!!

For those that do Zumba - what shoes do you wear? I tried a class sometime ago in my running shoes and could not get my feet to move the right ways. The instructor said it was because running shoes are made for straight forward movements, etc...so I am curious what you all wear.

FB - Of course you are doing something right!! And I don't think it's your food silly!! It's all that hard work you put in day in and day out!!

Sue - congrats on getting through your workout!!

Jennie - congrats on finishing up Stage 5!!

Thank you all for the comments about my bikini picture:blushing:. You all are too kind :flowerforyou:. I told my husband not to get used to the bikini because that is more of a beach outfit and not a general hang out at the community pool outfit. I still wear a one piece when out swimming with the kids, at the gym, or our neighbors. It was fun to do it though!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Jojo - the HRM should help gauge your burn!! Congrats on the new purchase :)

Samantha - that is awesome progress for your cousin!! What a great feeling to be able to pick up your own children. She is probably estatic over her changes!!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Oh.My.Word... My stinking back.

So, Tuesday I was having a great workout. Until I tried to act all cute and badass and jerked the weights off the bench. Bad. Bad, bad, bad. My back hates me. Anyway, I'm modifying again while it gets better. Grumble grumble grumble.

I am considering burying my scale in my back yard. It hates me, too.

Everyone is doing so well!

Mary-- thank you for changing the pic! It was making me hungry, too!!

Runn-- you are rockin' the bikini!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Jessica I am right there with you!! I stepped on my scale a couple weeks back and put on 4lbs. I am not sure why I even stepped on the da*n thing - but habits are hard to break. I have yet to step on it since. Do you need a shovel? I can bring over one and we can bury them together :)
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Jessica I am right there with you!! I stepped on my scale a couple weeks back and put on 4lbs. I am not sure why I even stepped on the da*n thing - but habits are hard to break. I have yet to step on it since. Do you need a shovel? I can bring over one and we can bury them together :)

Lol! Yes! Bring the shovel!

My husband has started eating Paleo, and has been losing all sorts of weight. I'm thrilled for him, as he really needs to lose weight. But, sheesh! My self-esteem is taking a blow.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Jessica I am on my way! :drinker: By the way, from your pictures I think you look great!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

For those that do Zumba - what shoes do you wear? I tried a class sometime ago in my running shoes and could not get my feet to move the right ways. The instructor said it was because running shoes are made for straight forward movements, etc...so I am curious what you all wear.

I don't even know what my shoes are called. They are sketchers cross trainers. Super flexible and lite weight. I could only afford one pair of shoes and I HATE running so I went with cross trainers. They took a bit to get used to but they don't effect my balance or power when lifting.

Hope your back feels better Jessica, and make the hole for the scale nice and deep.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they also have zumba shoes. I used dance sneakers.. the kind you use for jazz and stuff. 30 bucks, bloch shoes... but all the major sneaker companies have zumba shoes now. If you don't do any other kind of dancing, I probably wouldn't get capezio or bloch shoes, tho. My sister has a pair of the nike musique ones and she likes them.

http://www.self.com/fitness/2012/03/5-best-zumba-sneakers-slideshow?mbid=synd_luckymag#slide=4
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I get off work in 30 minutes!!! I am soooo ready for this week to be over...

I just *had* to tell someone :) and I am very sleepy...just trying to stay awake!!

Thanks for the Zumba shoe reccomendations!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is hard to keep up with when work gets busy! I'm not going to try to respond to everyone, but here's what i rememnber:

Sue, great news about your doctor visit. Three-month paps are a pain, but better than anything invasive, I think.

Amanda (I'm Amanda too!)--great bikini shot! Go you!

Mary, I'm glad you're feeling better...hang int here!

Ha, that's it--my brain's overloaded. I blew off my NR workout this morning for the first time since I started the program. I just really needed another longish sleep. Also...maybe I was dreading the BWM just an eensy bit :) I think I might go for a long run tomorrow morning, then back at NR on Monday. Sort of annoyed with myself because I'm just making the program take longer, but I"m also not that excited to get to Stage 6, so I guess it's all good! And sleeping until 6:30 two days in a row was so nice!

NSV...my weight-obsessed mother passed along a compliment from my fitness-and-weight-obsessed brother. He stopped by our house last week and afterwards told my mom I looked great and that my legs looked really strong. I'll take it!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Amanda- I would take that compliment too!! Next time tell him to tell you :). And thanks :flowerforyou:

I'm drinking my coffee struggling to stay awake...hopefully the kids will start a board game and I can get a few minutes of rest. I'm hoping to hit the gym this afternoon!!! Yay!!! I'm so stoked to get back in there!!

Make it a great day,
    Amanda