Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Maniac, what are your measurements form the beginning of the program. Month to month you aren't going to see a big difference. I didn't repeat my measurements for 4 months and saw a huge difference (except my dang legs :noway: )

I think you read too fast. :bigsmile:

I said the measurements are from April 1 until now and I just finished stage 3. :tongue: I will begin stage 4 today. I really like this stage even though it is incredibly long.

I started stage 3 yesterday and since April 15th have GAINED an inch (could be water but it's constant water if so) in my thighs. Ugh! BTW they were 26" around so they are already way out of proportion with the rest of my body (my profile pic is my thighs 5 years ago. goal!). My waist is about 31.5" and I'm 5'11. I swear, at this rate, my thighs are going to be bigger around than my waist!

I plan on finishing up sometime in the September time frame. I do plan on skipping stage 6 but hopefully doing stage 7 twice. I'm going on another beach vacation in late October so there will be some lag time between ending the program and bikini time. My husband started Insanity on Father's Day and I'm thinking I'll take a whack at it for a couple months and then come back and do the new book. Is it 6 months as well?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Question for all my NROL4W buddies here, this week's Zombie challenge that I'm doing is actually a repeat of the crunches only more! Here's the challenge:

Week 2:

Cardio-165 minutes
    Core-250 crunches (any type)
    Strength-200 pushups and 150 squats (hold for 30 seconds)
    Water and Food

I'd like your thoughts. I have my own, but I'd like to see what you have to say.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You are going to try both programs??:noway: you are the woman!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been coasting along under the radar lately. I've been lifting, but not doing a very good tracking. I have been eating absolute crap this past week, and it SO shows. My face is all broke out and I feel terrible. Today I'm determined to get back on the wagon.

It sounds like everyone is making some good progress with their lifting. I am happy to say I've made some progress with my squat. Hopefully I can start really upping the weight now.

Anyway, happy lifting!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    manic - I dream about lifting all the time....

jnh - I wouldn't worry about your legs....I expect they are retaining water and if you measure them after a more "upper body" day, they probably won't be retaining as much. (Or, try measuring them half-way through a "rest week".)

suelegal - are you doing the Zombie challenge in place of any other cardio?? (You'll see when you get to Stage 2 of NROL4W that the introduction of HIIT begins - or maybe it's Stage 3. In any event, just make sure you aren't OVERDOING your cardio, because your lifting, imho, will suffer.)

Jessica - I'm guilty, too. Yesterday was my first detox day and I felt much better waking up this morning. I still need to drink more water, today, though.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think I have to quit Stage 6.

:sad:

I'm half-way through....but, I threw out my shoulder/neck/back AGAIN. That is 4 times this year - twice in Stage 6! I am not doing good enough at keeping my shoulders back-and-down when performing certain moves (sometimes the negative chin-up, sometimes the close-grip Lat pull-down) and with poor form, it's no surprise that injury follows.

Anyway, I think I need to leave my upper body alone, for awhile. The pain is bad enough that it is disturbing my sleep and that just cannot occur.

So, I'll read over Stage 7 and just get on with it. I hope to return to Stage 6. Chin-ups and Pull-ups are a 2012 goal of mine....so, I really do want to be able to do them!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Sorry beeps. I remember reading previously you were excited for stage 6. I have to say I a glad it is an option.

Can anyone explain to me why I am not losing weight? What's the "theory or reason"? I have a deficit of at least 500 per body media fit. Weight lifting ? I know it isn't the "you aren't eating enough". I tried that for almost 8 weeks and gained and now that won't come off.

The idea of New rules is to build muscle so we can burn more calories??

I know I know. Don't be concerned with the scales. The inches aren't moving very fast either.
  • jnh17
    Options
    Sorry beeps. I remember reading previously you were excited for stage 6. I have to say I a glad it is an option.

Can anyone explain to me why I am not losing weight? What's the "theory or reason"? I have a deficit of at least 500 per body media fit. Weight lifting ? I know it isn't the "you aren't eating enough". I tried that for almost 8 weeks and gained and now that won't come off.

I know I know. Don't be concerned with the scales. The inches aren't moving very fast either.

Ditto. I'd love to know too. I decided to cut carbs for a stage. When I signed up for MFP, I decided that even though I never have success with a low calorie diet, that maybe I wasn't giving my body time to adjust. It's been 3.5 months and I haven't lost a lb. Sure, I may have gained some muscle and lost some fat for a net effect, but I haven't gained THAT much muscle -- not enough for maintaining a deficit for 3.5 months. I've never been able to lose weight and eat carbs. I'm pretty sure (if I can stick to it ;)), I'll have some pretty good results in the short amount of time it takes to complete a stage. I also want to add that I'm going to try to stick with my calorie numbers too. I'll gradually add back carbs when I get to where I want to be -- just like when adding back calories for maintenance. We'll see...
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I think I have to quit Stage 6.

:sad:

I'm half-way through....but, I threw out my shoulder/neck/back AGAIN. That is 4 times this year - twice in Stage 6! I am not doing good enough at keeping my shoulders back-and-down when performing certain moves (sometimes the negative chin-up, sometimes the close-grip Lat pull-down) and with poor form, it's no surprise that injury follows.

Anyway, I think I need to leave my upper body alone, for awhile. The pain is bad enough that it is disturbing my sleep and that just cannot occur.

So, I'll read over Stage 7 and just get on with it. I hope to return to Stage 6. Chin-ups and Pull-ups are a 2012 goal of mine....so, I really do want to be able to do them!

:( That stinks. I have tried to do a negative pull up, and thought it really had the potential to injure a person. Pull ups are a personal goal for me, too, though. Sigh. I hope you feel better soon.
  • suelegal
    Options

Ditto. I'd love to know too. I decided to cut carbs for a stage. When I signed up for MFP, I decided that even though I never have success with a low calorie diet, that maybe I wasn't giving my body time to adjust. It's been 3.5 months and I haven't lost a lb. Sure, I may have gained some muscle and lost some fat for a net effect, but I haven't gained THAT much muscle -- not enough for maintaining a deficit for 3.5 months. I've never been able to lose weight and eat carbs. I'm pretty sure (if I can stick to it ;)), I'll have some pretty good results in the short amount of time it takes to complete a stage. I also want to add that I'm going to try to stick with my calorie numbers too. I'll gradually add back carbs when I get to where I want to be -- just like when adding back calories for maintenance. We'll see...

The only way I lose weight it lowering carbs. It's slow, so very very slow (after the initial water weight loss). I just keep working at it. I hope I remember just how tough it is to lose this crap so I never put it back on!!
  • jnh17
    Options

The only way I lose weight it lowering carbs. It's slow, so very very slow (after the initial water weight loss). I just keep working at it. I hope I remember just how tough it is to lose this crap so I never put it back on!!

What is your target carb intake? Is it more than when you started (have you added back anything)?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I got dressed for the day and I feel even worse. The shirts that fit just fine last summer are tight in the arms, shoulders, and bust. I feel gross. And to beat it all, I am bloated. My "friend" will be here tomorrow or the next day.

I just want to be skinny AND muscular :sad:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I finished stage 1 today!!! I'm looking at my progress right now.

Squat: 45 > 135
    Push-up: 30 deg > floor
    Seated Row: 50 > 90
    Step-up: 20 > 30's
    Prone Jackknife: 8 > 15 easy

Barbell Deadlift: 45 > 145
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 15 > 30's
    Wide-grip lat Pulldown: 70 > 90
    Dumbbell Lunges: 15 > 35's
    Swiss ball crunch: Never did this, I did the incline thing where you are upside down almost or reverse crunches, depending on how I felt. Swiss ones where too easy even with weight on my chest.

I know I should post results in the stage 1 section but I'm just so darned excited to see the improvement and that I finished stage 1! I'll weigh and measure on Thursday and then start stage 2. :D

WOW>>> Great progress~!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

What is your target carb intake? Is it more than when you started (have you added back anything)?
    I'm the last person to ask. I only loose when I maintain a deficit. Most of the time I eat at or above maintenance. I don't gain, but I certainly don't lose. I actually haven't stepped on a scale in over 2 weeks :smooched: I am trying to get my carbs back down to 40% to try to lose some more body fat. However, my body is smaller without loosing the poundage. I didn't really notice the difference until I hit the 6 month mark.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    If I knew the secret, for the world, to steady weight-loss, I'd be rich AND famous. Alas, I cannot figure it out, even for myself. Eating at a LARGE deficit doesn't work for me. Eating at maintenance doesn't seem to work, either. I am trying a smaller deficit....and trying to zig-zag my calories. I'll give it the summer to determine if it is "working".

I'm not really *miserable* at my current weight....yes, I would like to "lose 10 lbs" - I've been saying that for YEARS.

And, now that I'm weight-training, I really do have a better SHAPE. It isn't something I want to parade around in a bikini, or anything, but my jeans fit better (than they did in December).

manic - I grew across my back and shoulders since I started NROL4W....so, most of my shirts don't fit, either. But, in exchange for that, I have less MUFFIN across my middle, and I'm okay with that trade.

PS - thanks for those who posted about HOW important Stage 6 was, to me. It really, really was. I've also decided, once my shoulder heals, to just give a pull-up a TRY. Hell, I might be able to do one, already, and then I can cross that off my "to do" list!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    For me, eating low-carb also helps me feel less bloated and less "poofy"....so, when I'm heading into month-end measurements/photos (like NOW), I do tend to drop the carbs and hope for the best!
  • suelegal
    Options

I recently bumped my protein, so my macros are

Protein 45%
    Fats 40%
    Carbs 15%

My base calorie consumption is 1400, but only on off days. Other days I'm eating 1500-1800 cals.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    15% carbs??? What is that, about 1 tomato a day, plus a lettuce leaf????????????

Good grief....I think you need MORE carbs, sue!! (How else do you even FUEL a weight-work-out???)
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @Beeps - rotten news that you are having to leave stage 6, but sensible to avoid any further injury. I do hope you achieve your pull-up goal for the year though.

I am in my rest week between stage 1 and 2 and for the first time in my life I am loving cardio, have managed 3 classes in the last 2 days with another 2 tomorrow, then rest on thursday before hitting stage 2.
  • suelegal
    Options
    15% carbs??? What is that, about 1 tomato a day, plus a lettuce leaf????????????

Good grief....I think you need MORE carbs, sue!! (How else do you even FUEL a weight-work-out???)

Actually, I do pretty well. I eat loads of veggies. Take a look at my diary. I eat plenty of protein, and my last visit to the doc showed great blood/cholesterol levels. My only minor issue is that I have osteopenia, one of the reasons I decided to NROL4W. I've never been much of a pasta, potato kinda gal and if I do eat bread, I REALLY get carried away with it.