Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    @matcha - yeah - I do the same thing. When I get into the candy bowls at work (chocolate!!!), then I'm craving potato chips, cookies, candy - all the stuff I want to stay away from. AND, when I'm eating all the crap I feel so tired that I can't make myself want to exercise or eat healthy. It's a vicious cycle.

@korkster - definitely not eating enough can make you feel sluggish. The heat will do it too. Maybe try working in some refreshing protein smoothies to add calories and cool you off at the same time?

So, trying to stay away from the tempting candy bowls. Pants that were getting too big last fall are too snug to wear comfortably now. Got to get back to the healthy snacks...
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @Sue I pack carrots, celery, & snap peas to munch on everyday... along with the occasional orange or other weird fruit. Have you tried the chocolate squares (one a day) as a reward yet?

Protein smoothies, eh? Guess I better look into that.
  • korkster
    Options
    Went for a harder walk today. Great view, about an hour long (although I shaved off some time just by being better than before)... but boy was I RAVENOUS when I came back. Couldn't wait; ate my lunch at 10am. That's a good thing, right?
  • azsuzi
    Options
    @Sue I pack carrots, celery, & snap peas to munch on everyday... along with the occasional orange or other weird fruit. Have you tried the chocolate squares (one a day) as a reward yet?

Protein smoothies, eh? Guess I better look into that.

Yeah - you need more protein. Your snacks are great - low cal and low fat - but they're not giving you the protein your muscles need to rebuild. I also heard that a glass of chocolate milk is a great after-workout snack - it gives you proteins and fats that your muscles need in recovery as well as electrolites and carbs to feed your body. You're doing so great - keep up the good work! :drinker:
  • jadery24
    jadery24 Posts: 53
    Options
    Soooooo...what are our challenges this week? This was supposed to be Ravenclaw's week to assign the OWL challenges, right? Or am I a week ahead?
  • korkster
    Options
    I have no idea about our challenges. I've just been counting the posts, and I haven't seen anything on the thread.

What about some peanut butter? Or nutter butter in general? I'm lactose intolerant, but if I need protein & fat, I did order a butt load of nut butter the other day...
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about our challenges. I've just been counting the posts, and I haven't seen anything on the thread.

What about some peanut butter? Or nutter butter in general? I'm lactose intolerant, but if I need protein & fat, I did order a butt load of nut butter the other day...

Can we just go ahead and make our own challenges??
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I think that somehow we got a week ahead on challenges since this is only the 2nd full week of August. Why don't we keep on with the rainbow foods and superman exercises until we hear different?
    Here are the challenges from Hufflepuff for week 2

NEWT (food challenge) Eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables. 1 newt daily for each color of the rainbow that you eat. Add 1 extra newt if it is fruit or vegetable you are trying for the first time. I am enclosing a link to some examples of how to ad a rainbow to your eating habits.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/fn595w.htm

OWL (exercise)challenge

Focus on back and core strength
    Superman exercises 1 newt for each set of 12 completed

http://www.livestrong.com/video/2526-do-superman-exercises/

Spirit - One earned for every day you post in your house's Common Room!

@Korkster - peanut butter is good protein. Just check the labels - some nuts are higher in protein than others - and watch the fat!
  • korkster
    Options
    Okay, same challenges as before. Sounds good!
  • korkster
    Options
    Went on a morning hike with my brother today. Hit my 10,000 step goal before 8:30 this morning. Pretty sweet! I'm going to see if I can make that a habit on weekends. :smile:
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Blah! My weight's going the wrong way - each week I'm up a pound. Time to put a stop to that!! On the upside, I got in lots of rainbow foods last week - I seem to average at least 5 colors a day. YUMMMM!! I love this time of year with all the variety of fresh fruits and veggies!

I don't know what to think about the lack of Hogwart's activity. Since there was nothing posted for challenges in the Great Hall this week, I took the liberty since it is Ravenclaw's week...
    Ravenclaw challenges for Week 3: Let's keep it simple and go back to basics until Hogwarts returns to session after summer break :laugh:

Food: Drink your water - replace one of your less-healthy drinks (soda, coffee, juice, etc) with a glass of water each day. One OWL for each day you meet your water goal plus one bonus OWL each day you replace another beverage with water.

Exercise: Target the abs - one OWL each day you do some focused ab work of your choice.

Spirit: One OWL each day you post to your house common room.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    And to stress the importance of drinking your water, here is an article that I came across this morning titled "Summer is peak season for kidney stones". It's worth a read...

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/17/13338440-summer-is-peak-season-for-kidney-stones?lite
  • brittlynn8907
    brittlynn8907 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would like to join Ravenclaw house!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Ugghh, my weight is going the wrong way... for the past two weeks I've been doing nothing but working day and night, and my only breaks have been to go out for restaurant week dinners (not as bad as they sound, it's the bread basket that does the most damage) - I was maintaining pretty well and not gaining more since my two trips, but it's been creeping up this weekend. Of course, I did go running for the first time in forever yesterday and my legs are a bit sore, but I was really hoping to see the scale go back down today after being so good yesterday, but it was up even more :-( Water weight I know, but still annoying...
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I would like to join Ravenclaw house!

Welcome brittlynn8907! Lottee is our head of house and she is on holiday at the moment. Once she gets back, she'll email you with all the info you need. In the meantime, feel free to join in this week's challenges!
  • korkster
    Options
    Good challenges, Sue!

I just figured out what "planks" were and they suck! I might mix that in this week. :smile:
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!

Wow, what a holiday. Budapest is the most beautiful city I've ever been, and the music festival was amazing as well. Slightly extended the holiday due to a lost passport (not mine!), but we didn't really need an excuse...

As for Ravenclaw.... Thank you so much Sue for doing the challenges, I had emailed Kelly with challenges for us but iguess she's not around much at the moment. And thanks to everyone else for logging in and keeping the common room going while I've been away.

Welcome to the new members, I will email you separately in a minute.

I have put on loads of weight in the last six weeks (school holidays, always the same, bah!), so I'm hoping to have a good month or so to counteract this. I am going to be logging seriously, and to encourage this I am going to check in here everyday, hopefully you all will join me in this as well.

In other news, I have just finished re-reading all the Harry Potters- still awesome!!
  • brittlynn8907
    brittlynn8907 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Thanks for letting me join! I think these are good challenges for the week and I definitely need help with my water intake. It has been so bad lately and I know I need to drink more. Hopefully this is the motivation I need to up it.
  • korkster
    Options
    Hi brittlynn8907,

I used to have problems with water, but I've pretty much fixed this. I bring 3 bottles of water with me to work. One I drink in the car before I get to work, the next I drink before lunch, and the 3rd I drink as I go home for the day. I also have a cup of tea (herbal, non-caffeinated... basically mint and water) when I first sit down. I may try to drink more, but at the minimum I've planned 7 cups of water. Then I go home, eat dinner, and have another bottle of water. Then I'm set for the day.

When I first started, drinking calories was the biggest culprit in the weight gain. I was a coca-cola-holic. I don't even miss it anymore.

For the abs challenge, I did 100 crunches last night. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but when I started the second set of 50, somewhere I could feel the strain of teeny tiny muscles. :bigsmile:
  • thewinged
    Options
    I just came back to Colorado from the DR, and man - I am thirsty all the time! My body is re-adjusting to the super dry climate here. So I've been lugging my water bottle with me everywhere...I got dehydrated yesterday morning so I need to bring extra until my body stops freaking at the lack of humidity and the altitude.

I feel like I'm cheating at the OWLs, since all I drink is water, tea, and the occasional fruit juice. Hack, I've been thinking about adding one glass a wine a week since mild wine intake has some health benefits.

Here is a fun ab workout - swinging! Like on a swingset. No, I'm serious...why are you looking at me like that. I have a 13-foot swingset near my house, and even though I'm an adult (or so people tell me) I like to go out and spend an hour or so on it when I get the chance. It's a great ab, arm, and thigh workout.