BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2013

Options
How are you all doing? It is my hope you use this thread to get to know each other better and have a safe place to motivate & support one another daily. This group will be what you all make of it. So let's talk, support, share challenges, successes, and most of all share replases. We can all learn from one another. So please share, share, share. This group is what you make it so lets make it a place for all of us to get support.

One day at a time.:flowerforyou:

A nice poem for us if we think it is just now worth the effort or when the going gets tough and you want to throw in the towel. The name of the poem is:

'Don't Quit' by Jill Wolf

Don't quit when the tide is lowest,
For it's just about to turn;
Don't quit over doubt's and questions,
For there's something you may learn.
Don't quit when the night is darkest,
For its just a while 'til dawn;
Don't quit when you've run the farthest,
For the race is almost won.
Don't quit when the hill is steepest,
For your goal is almost nigh;
Don't quit, for you're not a failure
Until you fail to try.

Replies

• Lovinmyself1st
    Options
    Awesome thread!! :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Why dont you sticky this one and unpin the other thread?
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    "DON'T QUIT" IS OUR ONLY CHANCE. WE WILL BEAT THIS THING.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I sent a request to founder this morning to do just this. I am not a moderator for this group so I do not have the ability to do this.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I sent a request to founder this morning to do just this. I am not a moderator for this group so I do not have the ability to do this.

Mollie, thanks for all you do for this group. :heart:
  • bjcj96
    bjcj96 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi ! I'm new to this website. Lost 90 pounds over the course of the past 4 year, but have gained back 20 since last summer. Could use some encouragement to get back on track. I need to get back to journaling about food and exercise and emotions.
    Thanks

Bonnie
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Mollie, thanks for all you do for this group. :heart:

Yes, Thank you Mollie!!!! Also, welcome Bonnie!
  • kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Love the poem! Thanks for the motivation, i definitely needed that!
  • TallAndSkinny22
    Options
    Looks like a fantastic idea to me, I had the worst 4 months of my eating life before december, now I'm 19 days without a binge but still tempted all the time lol! Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to sharing with you all
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bonnie and TallandSkinny! :happy:
  • greekygirl
    Options
    Since Molly has encouraged us to share, share, share, I am going to share. :smile:

I have big issues. When I see others "completed their diary and were under their calorie goal", I feel major pressure to do the same and if I don't I feel like I'm bad and I also feel...gasp, I'm going to admit it...jealous. Not helpful. I don't know how to get over it and not compare myself to others. So then I feel the need to restrict more which feels like I'm on a diet and I'm slowly realizing, once again, that diets don't work (thank you Molly and others). Am I the only person that feels like this? I'm thinking, yes, probably. I know I am REALLY screwed up. But I had to share it.

Thanks for listening and not judging. I already feel bad enough for feeling the way I do so please no hating.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Since Molly has encouraged us to share, share, share, I am going to share. :smile:

I have big issues. When I see others "completed their diary and were under their calorie goal", I feel major pressure to do the same and if I don't I feel like I'm bad and I also feel...gasp, I'm going to admit it...jealous. Not helpful. I don't know how to get over it and not compare myself to others. So then I feel the need to restrict more which feels like I'm on a diet and I'm slowly realizing, once again, that diets don't work (thank you Molly and others). Am I the only person that feels like this? I'm thinking, yes, probably. I know I am REALLY screwed up. But I had to share it.

Thanks for listening and not judging. I already feel bad enough for feeling the way I do so please no hating.

I experience exactly the same, and it doesn't help that I have several eating less than 1200, and one of those often eating less than 900-1000 calories a day. I don't bother clicking to finish this entry as I don't want people to see what a pig I am. I have had a bad run since getting home after xmas, with a few good days in between. I think it is trying to get back into a normal routine and a bit of the blues from xmas being over with. The only good thing is I got myself a slow cooker so I can make stews and things from scratch, which I am. But my weight is going to be awful, it was already a shock to step on the scale on the 22nd December, after months away from it, I have so much to lose now to get to a point I am comfy at.

Last few days, I must have stuffed down 6000-7000 calories, due to eating things like muffins, chocolate and cake.
    Hoping to get myself back on track tomorrow, hoping, hoping.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Restriction and diets does bred binges. You may want to think about adjusting your calories to 1 pounds loss or less. I know 1200 is definitely not good for us as bingers. Some do it successfully.
  • greekygirl
    Options

Restriction and diets does bred binges. You may want to think about adjusting your calories to 1 pounds loss or less. I know 1200 is definitely not good for us as bingers. Some do it successfully.

Thanks ladies. MFP gives me 1200 until I set it to maintenance. So I have mine manually set at 1350, plus I eat exercise calories. I still question whether it's the right amount, even with the TDEE equation.

I'm going to turn around my thinking and use my MFP friends as inspiration. I will believe that I can do it too, instead of feeling jealous and insecure and afraid I'll never compare.

I am so grateful for all of you!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Have a good week everyone!!
  • AmeliaMilli
    Options
    Hello everyone out there! :) My name is Amelia and I just joined this group. I hope I can make some friends and find some help. Three years ago I struggled from anorexia nevrosa and I just started to get better a half year ago. But my eating habits are totally went insane and sometimes I have really huge binges what make my life horrible. Like literally. I just want a normal life again without any shame and... without this weird relationship with this whole eating-thing.
  • healthymissh
    healthymissh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel as though you need to *not* enter something, or quit because you don't want to log everything. I totally get that feeling too, and I think what helped the most for me was realizing that it doesn't matter how I stack up against someone else - at the end of the day, it's my struggle. And MFP is a tool to better help me see and understand my struggle. Am I totally embarrassed that I've binged on junk food three days in a row? YUP. Did I enter it anyway? I'm proud to say that I did. And it made me cry. But, I think it's really important, for me, at least, to be honest and accountable to myself - and hopefully start to recognize patterns of behavior. Good luck :)
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I see others "completed their diary and were under their calorie goal", I feel major pressure to do the same and if I don't I feel like I'm bad and I also feel...gasp, I'm going to admit it...jealous. Not helpful. I don't know how to get over it and not compare myself to others. So then I feel the need to restrict more which feels like I'm on a diet and I'm slowly realizing, once again, that diets don't work (thank you Molly and others). Am I the only person that feels like this? I'm thinking, yes, probably. I know I am REALLY screwed up. But I had to share it.

YOU ARE IN GOOD COMPANY BEING "REALLY SCREWED UP". MANY OF US ARE EQUALLY SCREWED UP. THAT'S WHY WE'RE HERE.

THE ONLY COMPETITION IS WITH YOURSELF. YOU ARE THE ONE TO BE ACCOUNTABLE TO. WE CHEER EACH OTHER ON IN VIVTORIES AND WE COMFORT EACH OTHER AS WE STRUGGLE. THERE IS NO SHAME IN OUR STRUGGLE.

WE MAY HAVE SETBACKS LARGE AND SMALL, BUT THIS IS NORMAL FOR ANYONE TRYING TO GO FROM DYSFUNCTIONAL BEHAVIOR TO HEALTHFUL BEHAVIOR. ITS OK TO CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK AS YOU PICK YOURSELF UP ANDGET BACK ON YOUR PROGRAM. WE WILL BE DOWN AT TIMES BUT IF WE KEEP AT IT WE MAKE PROGRESS.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    What’s Holding You Back from Reaching Your Goals?

“A vote of confidence.”

Are you someone who quietly sets out to reach her goals or are you someone who tells the world exactly what you’re up to, loud and clear?

Either way, it’s great. You’re focusing on a new life ahead. But if you tend toward being the quieter type, why not take some time today to tell at least one person how proud you are of yourself for making this commitment to reach a valued goal?

There’s got to be one person with whom you could share your journey. A coworker? A neighbor? A friend?

So, speak up! Tell someone about it. Make your effort even more real by hearing yourself talk about it out loud. It will solidify your commitment that much more, and could just be the vote of confidence you need!

©Jane Powell – Meditations for Women

Today’s Affirmation: I share my goals with others.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Please don't feel as though you need to *not* enter something, or quit because you don't want to log everything. I totally get that feeling too, and I think what helped the most for me was realizing that it doesn't matter how I stack up against someone else - at the end of the day, it's my struggle. And MFP is a tool to better help me see and understand my struggle. Am I totally embarrassed that I've binged on junk food three days in a row? YUP. Did I enter it anyway? I'm proud to say that I did. And it made me cry. But, I think it's really important, for me, at least, to be honest and accountable to myself - and hopefully start to recognize patterns of behavior. Good luck :)
    Well said! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.