Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Paleo sounds interesting but I wonder if I could do it on my limited meat diet.

Welcome back Beeps Glad you have a wonderful vacation.

All the boo hooing aside I did have a couple of NSV's this week (Congrats to Cowgirl too).
    I was complimented on my figure by a number of people on Friday ( I was wearing more form-fitting clothing that what is my habit)
    ALso, I found prefect pants! I felt like CHarlie Bucket discovering the golden ticket. I slipped them on and they fit absolutely perfect. That makes me a "modern fit" US 8 Short. ( I was a US 14 when I started this time last year :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Samntha, my goodness, you must be exhausted from all the problems. I hope you can get things figured out and won't be so fatigued. Prayers that you feel better quick! Yay for finding perfect pants and compliments.

This weekend has been a fail. TOM is brutal today and I just feel blah. Yesterday I ate crap and a lot. Today will be less crap, but still...... Monday WILL be better!
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Think I'm gonna start stage 1 tomorrow...
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    BEEPS! I have 2 herniated disc. Dr said no more weightlifting, jogging, or running EVER. After the initial shock, I have decided to go against that.

My plan is to begin NROL4W again tomorrow. I will not start out as heavy and will slowly increase to give my body/back time to adjust and I will walk on treadmill 30 minutes or more daily.

So that's what's up with me.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,976 Member
    Options
    holy crap, manic, a HERNIATED DISC!!??!! Oh my goodness....not sure if you should be lifting - maybe seek a second opinion?? And then, maybe work with a personal trainer, for awhile, to make sure you are moving your body the RIGHT way (and you might have to tweak some of the exercises to make sure you aren't exacerbating your injury! THAT IS THE WORST NEWS EVER!

samntha - shoot, you are having a tough time of it. How are you handling the stress??!!??

I have worked out 4 days in a row! It has been a LONG time since I managed such a thing. Feels good. Gonna try and create a "streak" so that I'll have the necessary momentum to keep it up!

Today, I lift.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Hope you got started, Vicki!

Manic, the docs advice does seem rather odd. Most the time movement is a good thing even with a back injury, but I don't know.....I'm pretty sure that there are modified lifting movements that you can do with a herniated disc, but I'd definitely get with a trainer. Please be careful, girl!

Beeps, you're back to killin' it! Keep it up.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    That's what he said :huh: I was devastated at first but I must live.

I did stage 1 all over again. I did very little weights to ease back into it. A friend I've made there and just found out he's a trainer (i'll have to get a pic of him for yall! he is so muscular), gave me great advice. And I implemented all he said.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,976 Member
    Options
    You know, this 4-day streak of mine has kind of REVVED up my sorry motivation....

Which means, MAYBE, it's TIME for ANOTHER CHALLENGE!!??!!??!!??

This challenge will be the "How Long Can Your Streak Go" CHALLENGE! (Abbreviated, that's HLCYSG Challenge....so, maybe I'll just call it the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE.)

So, pick THE streak that you want to work on, and let's see how we do, over a period of time (say, a month??)

Some suggestions of "what" the streak can be:

1. How many days in a row you work-out.
    2. How many days in a row you ate at your alotted calories.
    3. How many days in a row you decided NOT to drink.
    4. How many days in a row you ate your protein.
    5. How many days in a row you slept a minimum of 7 hours.

on-and-on-and-on.

Report in what YOUR challenge streak is gonna be about....and then we can tally weekly and, at the end, just see how many times we were able to keep streaks going.

This is an "easier" challenge then most....because, if you fall OFF your streak, it's totally okay to get back on and then keep it going.

In this 28-day challenge, a "perfect" streak would be "28". But, if a person was doing 6-day streaks, and then falling off every 7th day, they would still have a tally of "24" or so by the end of a month!

So, what will YOUR challenge streak be?????? Think about it. Post about it. And let's start on February 1st!
  • samntha14
    Options
    BEEPS! I have 2 herniated disc. Dr said no more weightlifting, jogging, or running EVER. After the initial shock, I have decided to go against that.

My plan is to begin NROL4W again tomorrow. I will not start out as heavy and will slowly increase to give my body/back time to adjust and I will walk on treadmill 30 minutes or more daily.

So that's what's up with me.

OMG Mary!! That is tough news. All I can say is do WHATEVER you have to do to avoid surgery. Every single person I know who has had back surgery has ended on permanent disability (note: their cheap-*kitten* surgeons were butchers I am convinced but still)You would think building your back muscles safely would be a good thing. Please be safe, and I second Beeps advice above.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Thanks for the concern ladies but I'm absolutely fine. I wake up and say, "hey, it could be worse. I could have the flu." no thank you. The only thing stressing me out was my work evaluation this week and the inability to work out. I just got back on a streak lol. Beeps I am down with the new challenge. I accept staying under daily cals, and daily workouts (with the exception of one weekly rest day. I still can't lift because of this stupid wrist, but I NEED to be at the gym. The boob is healing nicely, so Aerobics here I come. I hate using machines, but I wonder what I can do. I hate working muscles in isolation, but what's a girl to do. Any recommendations?
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That's what he said :huh: I was devastated at first but I must live.

I did stage 1 all over again. I did very little weights to ease back into it. A friend I've made there and just found out he's a trainer (i'll have to get a pic of him for yall! he is so muscular), gave me great advice. And I implemented all he said.

I was told a lot of that, too, by the doc who diagnosed me. BUT, it is possible to do a lot of those things. Obviously, since I'm here and still lifting! Lol! My physical therapist who I went to for my hip was very encouraging and even taught me some exercises to do to help.

Get a second opinion or see a physical therapist. Take time to heal. You may have to skip certain exercises, or modify them. But you CAN still lift in some capacity.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I did stage 1.

squats 20 pounds on shoulders
    dreaded step ups with only 10 pounds each hand.
    prone jack knife
    seated row 60 pounds
    push ups on bench

and

30 minutes elliptical.

I took my time and made sure my form was spot on :wink: It felt ok and no pain as of now.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OMG Mary I am so in awe of you! Please be careful, but go girl! How to not let it get you!!

Sam I had an infection in my right breast a few years ago. It was painful, and honestly I have no idea how I got it! Didn't take long to make it go once I got to the doc. Hope yours heals quickly too! And the wrist too hun.

Beeps I am so down with this challenge. I commit to a workout everyday except for 1 full rest day each week. I'm going out of town this Friday for 10 days and I really need to keep the focus! It's a vacation, but I'll have time to walk everyday so that's what I plan to do.

I did TRX pullups today! Wow! LOVE THEM! I'm not in any stage right now since I'm going to be gone, so I've just been sort of prepping for 4 and working on core and balance and stability.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Thanks, SueBoo!!! It feels great lifting again. No pain but I am feeling muscle soreness from the lack of workouts.

Samantha, sorry. I would say the machines and just work those isolated muscles until you can lift again. Better than nothing, right?

Beeps, my new challenge is to lose 5 pounds in 3 weeks, gym 4 x weekly, and keeping my cals at 1400.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This week I'm finishing up the fourth workout in Stage 1 and that means on Friday I will hopefully be upping the weights a bit again. My husband said that he noticed my legs are starting to look more defined (thank you lunges, squats, and step ups!).

I think my challenge goal would be to hit the gym at least 5 days a week (I was on a 15 day streak before this weekend) and to make sure I'm logging what I'm eating on the weekends so I'm sure I'm not over.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a second opinion. I have been healing from 3 herniated discs over the past four months, and was finally able to start lifting again last week. I still can't run for the time being, but I don't think you should NEVER be able to do them again. You just might not be able to do everything right now.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This week I'm finishing up the fourth workout in Stage 1 and that means on Friday I will hopefully be upping the weights a bit again. My husband said that he noticed my legs are starting to look more defined (thank you lunges, squats, and step ups!).

Congrats on the changes in your legs!!!!!
    I finished my 4th workout on Sunday, today up my weights. I haven't noticed any changes yet, but I know I will.
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    Hey all!

I am new to Nrol4w and currently reading the book.
    Im still in the early stages but am already looking forward to starting the workouts.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    February first is the official start to my cut cycle so Beeps' challenge is PERFECT! My "streak" will be to hit (and not go above!) 1800 cals/day. Weekends are my biggest challenge so this can help keep me accountable!

Only able to lift two days last week and this week...but at least I am still doin it!

general question about squats: I am having a hard time upping my weight on squats, not because my legs can't handle it but bc my back/neck area where the bar sits can't handle it! ALL i can think about is how heavy it is on my upper body even though I can squat fine...any ideas???
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Did my first workout yesterday and loved it... a little sore today... and love it!