Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'm recording your requests for the "streak" challenge - which doesn't begin until February 1st, so you have TIME to GEAR UP! Before that date, I will post what I think your personal challenge is (I recognize some of you are doing MORE than "1" thing at a time, but I'll just put in the "1" thing I think can qualify for "streak" purposes) - you can correct that list anytime prior to Feb. 1st!

It's a 4-week challenge. Done on Feb. 28th.

Building a "streak" is a GREAT way to keep motivated, and, at least for me, once I've actually ESTABLISHED a streak, to "break" it actually seems more difficult (emotionally?) than to just keep going at it!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    emgel, I think you should try putting the bar LOWER down on your back. Check out youtube videos "low bar back squat" - coach rip has some excellent ones! (Paritcularly his "high bar vs low bar" video.) I just started doing my back squats again, yesterday.....my program has been calling for DB squats for 9 weeks now, and I'm bored. So, back to the back squats, but ONLY in the low bar back squat position.

My weight for the back squat is abysmal - always has been. But, I am getting REALLY low (below parallel) and, let's face it, seeing my shoulder muscles POP in the mirror, because of the placement of the bar, TOTALLY TURNS ME ON!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic - I am really glad to read that you are just taking this very slowly. That you are focusing on form ONLY. Please, just don't worry about how HEAVY you are lifting....even BW exercises can be EXCELLENT for back problems/injuries.

While my 2012 goals were, in part, about seeing HOW HEAVY I could get with specific lifts, I'm kind of "over" that trend, now. For me, 2013 isn't going to be about HOW HEAVY, it is strictly going to be about creating a "shape" and, therefore, not EVERY lift has to be this HEAVY, HEAVY thing! (What a relief!) Some of the lifts, designed to work on small muscles, or small muscle groups, are NOT supposed to BE heavy!

For me, "shape" is really about losing fat to show the muscles you have - because building muscles, for women, is just a tough, tough SLOG. So, the more fat I lose, the better my muscles will look....and, yes, under that fat, there *is* muscle!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Nice job Vicki!

Also, just thought I'd add that although I'm new... I really like Beeps :)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Cowgirl and Sam - congrats on the NSVs!!

Beeps - welcome back! Glad you had a good time.

Mary - Glad you see you getting back into your workouts. I think you are doing it just right by focusing on form and not going to heavy with the weights.

Sue - hope you have a great time in FL!

emgel - I agree with Beeps on the low back bar squat. You need to have the bar across your shoulder muscles, not on your neck.

Welcome all the newbies!!

I'm pretty sure it was TOM this weekend (but I can't tell anymore since I don't have a period). I was pretty bloated and eating like crazy. Pretty sure I sabotaged myself competely this las weekend. My hip is still really bothering me. Totally my fault since I waited so long before going to the Chiro. So, I've been doing cardio, yoga and working on my pull ups Thinking I'll do some light weight, high rep lifting tomorrow. I have another Chiro appt next Monday, hoping that it'll start getting better soon.

My goals for changing my body shape in 2012 did not happen, so I'm going to focus on strength in 2013. These are my goals - BP - 150, Squat - 225, Deadlift - 300.

I'm in for the challenge - workout days in a row
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Good thoughts, Beeps! I need to think about my challenge. I've been trying to really focus on nutrition. Not so much calories, but getting veggies in and not slacking on nutrients. This might have to be my challenge. But I also am trying to just lose body fat at this point and not worry so much about scales. So maybe my challenge should be to NOT weigh myself everyday!!!!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    it seems when I try to eat better the first day is fine. 2nd day is tough and the 3rd day I want to binge on the junk food (sweets). I really need to break that habit.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Today is a lifting day! I actually get more excited to go to the gym on these days then when I used to run.

I do "miss" running and training for races so at the end of February (once I've been doing this for a full 2 months) I'm going to start back into training for races. I'm not doing anything substantial... a half at the most but I will cut down on mid week runs that I don't think are completely necessary so I'm not going overkill on my body. I know it's suggested to back off on cardio when doing this but I want to run some races! ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    (Please let me know if you want to be added to this challenge, or if I have incorrectly marked down your challenge.)

Here's where we are at, so far, with the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE:
    20130123_zps4fdf288b.jpg
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    it seems when I try to eat better the first day is fine. 2nd day is tough and the 3rd day I want to binge on the junk food (sweets). I really need to break that habit.

I know! It's completely a mental battle for me. I KNOW how to eat right, I KNOW that eating crap will make me feel like crap....but I still get to a certain point and go, "I've been so good, I deserve a cookie..." And it turns into 3.

After thinking about it, my challenge will be to NOT weigh myself until the end of feb. , I get so caught up in that number, I need to be focused on other things. So I will weigh the last day of jan and see how long I last not stepping on a scale and just focusing on getting my lifting in and eating right.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - you CAN run and do NROL4W!! I do it! I am training for a 10 miler right now! My training schedule is just VERY different than it was before. On days I lift I do HIIT (usually not running because i love cross training), and on my non-lifting days I get in my cardio (3-4 mile run) with one long run on the weekends. Don't stop doing something you love, you can run and lift! I have actually found the lifting helps my running!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    (Please let me know if you want to be added to this challenge, or if I have incorrectly marked down your challenge.)

Here's where we are at, so far, with the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE:
    20130123_zps4fdf288b.jpg

Hi, can I join in?
    I would like my challenge to be eating mostly whole foods, with an allowance for one cheat meal a week (while doing 3x NR workouts a week of course).

I know that my weight and shape/size is 99.47% (ok might have made up that number, but this is what I need to tell myself) dependent on what I eat, rather than how active I am. If I can get the eating right, I will definitely see results. So for me that is mostly no crackers/breads/chips/lollies/baked foods etc - all the foods I binge on.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me one time "you ARE what you eat. Eat celery you'll be long and thin. Eat cakes you'll be short and round."

I am struggling today. TOM and it's heavy flow day for me. I want to lift but I know it won't be into it. My head hurts,and I lack the energy and motivation.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chubby - change has been noted in my chart. Will post again, closer to end-of-Jan, prior to finalization.

emgel - I TRULY believe the BEST exercise is the ONE YOU'LL DO. So, yes, if you like running, DO IT.

mcbellnz - I've plopped you into the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!

manic - when in doubt, just SHOW UP. Just SHOW UP - and see what happens. If you don't SHOW UP, you'll NEVER KNOW! So, get into your gym wear, just start off easy, and see how/where it goes. (((manic)))

I lifted today! So, that's a 6-day fitness streak. I think it may be broken tomorrow (already!), because i have a seminar I have to go to over lunch and I have a hair appointment after work. Will debate, all day and all night, whether to get up early and try and keep the "streak" going. Votes???
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Beeps - I agree! I lift because I know I'll get myself to the gym, I run because i have a SCARY running partner who yells at me (in a good way), so yes, the best exercise is the one you will do =D

As for my vote: it depends on how your body reacts to and craves rest days. I only ever really "need" one after one of my long runs...if you just like moving everyday i say GET UP EARLY AND GO!!!!!! But a hair appt is an excellent reason to miss it!
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My Febuary challenge will be to hit my calorie goal everyday, 1750-1800. That should get me my last little loss before I have to get my wedding dress fitted and maintain until 4/27. I've tried working out everyday, but I seem to do best at about 4 days a week-3 lifting and 1 cardio.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I didn't work-out this morning....my "streak" may end today.

No problem, I'll start a new one, tomorrow....and, this is ALL just practice for FEBRUARY CHALLENGE, ANYWAY!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    gonna roll thread, now in

• Beeps2011
    Options
  • Beeps2011
    Options