• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    NEW THREAD!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    time to get the day started.

Has anyone noticed an increase of tension in their body when they workout? I've noticed it all over and have to make myself relax. (then i am tense again)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Has anyone noticed an increase of tension in their body when they workout? I've noticed it all over and have to make myself relax. (then i am tense again)

Yes! Especially in my shoulders. I went to a yoga class this weekend and I think it really helped :smile:
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Did my 4th S1B workout last night. That means it's time to up the weights the next two workouts! I'm getting nervous for 3 sets. I'm okay with 2 but I have a feeling I will be dying by the end but that's a good thing, right? :)
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Did my 4th S1B workout last night. That means it's time to up the weights the next two workouts! I'm getting nervous for 3 sets. I'm okay with 2 but I have a feeling I will be dying by the end but that's a good thing, right? :)

I did A on Tuesday and B this morning - upped weights.
    It felt good, apart from shoulder press. I could only manage 9 instead of 12. Hoping for better esults next week.

Good luck
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Hey guys, hope it's okay if I join in. My copy of the book should be here this afternoon and I plan to start on Monday. I joined a new gym that's opening close to where I work so my hope is that I'll be able to do most of my workouts during an extended lunch hour. I have a flexible schedule during the work day and can take about 90 minutes to work out (including drive time, changing clothes, etc.) Most days that will leave me with 60-75 minutes of actual exercise time. Very excited to get started!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    manic - are you doing proper stretching/rolling after working out? Are you providing yourself with a sufficient "rest period" before your next work-out?

LB2LL and rachietuk - don't be afraid to drop your weights back, a little bit, when moving from 2- to 3- sets. ALWAYS concentrate on "good FORM"....and you'll go up in weights again, in no time! Also, STRETCH when done, get proper fluids, get proper rest - your chance of DOMs may increase when moving from 2- to 3- sets!

tennessee - welcome! You'll LOVE NROL4W!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    manic - are you doing proper stretching/rolling after working out? Are you providing yourself with a sufficient "rest period" before your next work-out?

LB2LL and rachietuk - don't be afraid to drop your weights back, a little bit, when moving from 2- to 3- sets. ALWAYS concentrate on "good FORM"....and you'll go up in weights again, in no time! Also, STRETCH when done, get proper fluids, get proper rest - your chance of DOMs may increase when moving from 2- to 3- sets!

tennessee - welcome! You'll LOVE NROL4W!

Yeah I will most likely stick with what I'm at least for 1-2 sets and do 1 maybe at a slightly higher weight for 1 set. It all depends on how my body feels. I want to push myself but definitely not to the point of injury. Also, I'm so stinking bad at stretching afterwards. It's bad. I need to do that now that it's going to start to get a bit more difficult.

Welcome Tennessee! I'm still in Stage 1 but I love it :) Looking forward to seeing your posts!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - I HATE 3 sets! That being said I tend to try and up my weights on the second set. I'll do what I did for the last workout first and then up it for the my second set and then see how I feel for my third. Give it a try that way!

Also, I am gearing up for Beeps' february challenge already!!! My hubby LOVES Tim Ferris (the writer of the 4 hour body and creator of the slow carb diet) and he created a website called dietbet.com Basically we had to buy in ($50) and we have 30 days to lose 4% of our body weight - this means I HAVE to stick to my "cut" value or I'll lose my $! This is excellent motivation for me! Back to my regular schedule next week (I have 2 offices and I can only go to the gym from one office) so I'll get to lift 3 days instead of 2!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just started with New Rules on Tuesday!! I did my first round of B today. I was still feeling pretty sore from Workout A on Tuesday but feel MUCH better now! Sometimes you just gotta get back in there and workout to get rid of the soreness. I have started out with pretty light weights to get my form down but am going to ramp up the weights this weekend and see how it goes :)

Excited to join in this thread with everyone!!
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started last week and was very sore after the first few workouts. I didn't feel too sore after my last one, so I probably need to up my weights!

Yoga is always a really great way to help with soreness and tightness. I'm going tonight!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    My gym offers yoga/pilates class together. think that will be ok? AND I worked out today. Should I do yoga on a non lifting day?
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My gym offers yoga/pilates class together. think that will be ok? AND I worked out today. Should I do yoga on a non lifting day?

I usually do yoga on a non-lifting day. My normal yoga class is on a long break and I really miss it. I feel a lot more tension and tightness, especially in my back and shoulders. I try to do the poses on my own, but it's not the same. :(
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree, I usually do it on a non-lifting day. After lifting, I can't imagine trying to hold myself up in a lot of the poses. I think I would end up spending the majority of my time in child's pose.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Hey guys, hope it's okay if I join in. My copy of the book should be here this afternoon and I plan to start on Monday. I joined a new gym that's opening close to where I work so my hope is that I'll be able to do most of my workouts during an extended lunch hour. I have a flexible schedule during the work day and can take about 90 minutes to work out (including drive time, changing clothes, etc.) Most days that will leave me with 60-75 minutes of actual exercise time. Very excited to get started!

Tennessee, can I assume you're from Tennessee? I'm in Nashville - just wanted to say Hi and Welcome! :)
  • manic4titans
    Options
    and I'm originally from KY (hence the manic 4 (Tennessee) Titans :tongue:
  • zilveti
    Options

Yes! Especially in my shoulders. I went to a yoga class this weekend and I think it really helped :smile:

Well, I started weighting lifts almost two years ago, actually in February. From there on, I have increased the weight. Now I can lift 6 kg in each leg and 4 kg in each arm, 3 times a week during 52 minutes, doing a 3x circuit. I started my diet with mfp on September 29th and lost 10 kg. I feel stronger and have no pain. As I do this workout 3 times a week I feel very well to walk during 50/60 minutes, including a 2 or 2,5 km jogging
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I usually do yoga on a non-lifting day. My normal yoga class is on a long break and I really miss it. I feel a lot more tension and tightness, especially in my back and shoulders. I try to do the poses on my own, but it's not the same. :(

I love this blog and here is a post about why yoga is great along with lifting. I mean, look at her. http://www.negharfonooni.com/2013/01/10/9-reasons-why-yoga-is-good-for-gym-junkies/
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Good gracious! I can't keep up!

Mary, how is your back feeling?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Good gracious! I can't keep up!

Mary, how is your back feeling?

So far so good! I am taking this time around slow and really focusing on the muscles and form. No pain BUT I have been using very little weights .
    Today:

deadlift: bar only
    2 lbs for shoulder press (but as most of us know I have nerve damage in the right shoulder so I can't press up much anyway)
    wide grip pull down 48 pounds
    lunges no weights
    crunch no weight

30 minutes elliptical

Thanks for asking:flowerforyou: