Replies

• Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations )
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    So exciting reading your birth story T and it's so fun to see so many of you so close! Monday we have an ultrasound and breast feeding class then Tuesday is a shower I so can't wait! Then March 2nd my bestie comes to town and I get another showers. For now I'm trying to just look forward to those dates but after the shower I have 2 more weeks of work before maternity leave (which is pretty much the end of my time in the Coast Guard) and I know that after that I'm going to be going so crazy waiting for my baby girl! I can't believe that in a month I will stand my last day of duty as active duty military as well as have my BA. Then it's just time to get the house ready for my princess.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Officially 41 weeks today and I've been having contractions since midnight; 30-60 secs in duration, ranging form 6-12 mins in frequency. I'm optimistic this means she'll come on her own w/in 24-48 hours (well before my scheduled induction date). Here's to hoping!!

Hope that your baby has arrived safely by now and that you were able to avoid the induction.

I am 40 weeks, 3 days now and starting to go a little squirrelly! 3rd night in a row with decent contractions, not just minor ones, that faded out about 2-3am. Remembered a conversation yesterday from in the delivery room with my last delivery, and my mother in law confirmed it. Doctor broke my water that time when I was 4cm dilated, and he commented that it was hard to break and he didn't think it would have broken on its own. Have already decided that when they start up again this afternoon or evening, I am just going to the hospital and insisting that they break my water for that reason. I didn't go into serious labour with either of my first 2 pregnancies until my water broke, and then it was fast and furious. I'll be here another 7-10 days at this rate if I don't demand this and after 2 weeks already, I am burnt out.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! Some of you already know, but I gave birth to my son Brock Stanley Crofford at 12:54 AM on Tuesday 2/12! I was 39 weeks pregnant. I thought I would share my birth story/experience:

I had been having high blood pressure issues and was put on modified bed rest last week, so Monday I was supposed to start working from home. I went in for monitoring on Monday morning and Brock was having decelerations in his heart rate because he kept compressing his cord. Next thing I know, I have the doctors telling me I had to go to the hospital to be induced and they had a bed ready and waiting for me. It was kind of scary and I had also been planning on a natural birth, but I didn't like the increased risk of stillbirth caused by the cord compressions and my amniotic fluid had also been dropping.

I got to the hospital around 10 AM and they decided to use Cervidil to ripen my cervix. I was at 1 cm and 70% effaced. Cervidil went in around 2:30 PM and at 4 PM they told me it would have to stay in for 12 hours and they wouldn't be checking me until 4 AM. Talk about a looooooooong night! Most women don't go into labor on their own with Cervidil and need a second dose plus pitocin :-( Well, that wasn't in the cards for me thankfully because my contractions started getting so strong and were only about a minute apart, one on top of another. I wasn't getting any rest at all and was shaking uncontrollably from the hormones. I hadn't planned on getting an epidural but hadn't ruled it out since this was my first child and I had no idea what to expect. At 11:30 PM when I couldn't take it anymore, they checked my cervix and I was already 5 cm! I decided on getting the epidural so I could relax because I'd rather have that than to have pitocin and end up with a C Section. Had no issues with the epidural - in fact, it dilated me to a 9.5 and my water broke only TWENTY minutes after having it done! Brock was born vaginally shortly thereafter :-) I don't regret making that decision - in fact, I think everything happened the way it was meant to! He came out on his own and the nurse was trying to tell me to stop pushing because there was no doctor in the room yet, but there was no stopping him!

Anyway I just wanted to share this with everyone - even though it didn't go as planned, I couldn't be happier and I am so in love with my beautiful baby boy!

I'm so glad you had a safe delivery! :)
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Aeriel I hope your plan worked and that you're enjoying your little one now!

It's lovely to read everyone's birth stories, helps to put it all in perspective, you only have so much control eh!?

My husband finally met my midwife today!! Funny when I'm 38 weeks now, but I suppose that's just how it is with baby number 3! I remember he didn't miss a single appointment with our first! Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good, had a tough night last night, crazy braxton hicks keeping me awake, but nothing painful, just irritating enough to stop me sleeping.

I'm pretty much ready now, packed my labour bag today, just need some snacks in there. I'd really like him to arrive early next week!! As the following week my little girl starts school, and I really want to be there for her!! But I don't want him to arrive before this Sunday as my oldest has his first ever triathlon!! And I'd really like to see that!! I might have to start up an excessive walking regime early next week!!!
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options

It's lovely to read everyone's birth stories, helps to put it all in perspective, you only have so much control eh!?

My husband finally met my midwife today!! Funny when I'm 38 weeks now, but I suppose that's just how it is with baby number 3! I remember he didn't miss a single appointment with our first! Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good, had a tough night last night, crazy braxton hicks keeping me awake, but nothing painful, just irritating enough to stop me sleeping.

I'm pretty much ready now, packed my labour bag today, just need some snacks in there. I'd really like him to arrive early next week!! As the following week my little girl starts school, and I really want to be there for her!! But I don't want him to arrive before this Sunday as my oldest has his first ever triathlon!! And I'd really like to see that!! I might have to start up an excessive walking regime early next week!!!

I hope you get to see the triathlon, that would be so fun! I have heared raspberry leaf tea for a few days helps too...who knows if it's true but as long as it doesn't hurt it's worth a try ;)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

No little one yet, this one is stubborn. Having my water broken tomorrow morning, as long as there are beds available. Will be 41 weeks then, and very ready to meet my little one. On a sadder note, my last grandmother passed away today, so really hoping the baby turns out to be a girl, as I was planning on using her middle name if it is a girl. Call the hospital at 6:30am and if all is a go, need to be there at 7:30am and doctor will break water about 8:30am. Last labour was less than 3 hours from water break, so hoping this one will be just as fast, if not faster. :heart:
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

No little one yet, this one is stubborn. Having my water broken tomorrow morning, as long as there are beds available. Will be 41 weeks then, and very ready to meet my little one. On a sadder note, my last grandmother passed away today, so really hoping the baby turns out to be a girl, as I was planning on using her middle name if it is a girl. Call the hospital at 6:30am and if all is a go, need to be there at 7:30am and doctor will break water about 8:30am. Last labour was less than 3 hours from water break, so hoping this one will be just as fast, if not faster. :heart:

Good luck, mama! I hope that you are able to go into labor on your own before then! I am so sorry for your loss! I hope that you have a beautiful, quick labor!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Hey all, just thought I'd drop in and let everyone know how things are going and share my birth story :)

As I mentioned previously, I experienced contractions since midnight Thurs, 14 Feb, althought their duration/frequency were inconsistent. My hubby and I went to Petco to get the dogs groomed, then Chipotle for lunch followed by the hospital I would deliver at for my 41-week stress test. Because my midwife couldn't get a check at my Tues apt she wanted them to check me Thurs in preparation for Monday'a induction if our daughter didn't come on her own. Well, my check showed me at 7 cm dilated so I wasn't going home.

To make a rather long story short, I got to 9.5 cm and 90% effaced by Friday afternoon. I had to make deviations to my birth plan, which included breaking my water since it seemed to be preventing her from providing that final pressure needed to finish the job in getting the last of the cervical lip out of the way (that bag of water was one tough nut to crack! ). Unfortunately, it didn't do enough and I was getting exhausted and severe back pain with each contraction so I finally asked for an epidural and the guy who put it in was wonderful - barely felt it, and it worked perfectly. Since I had to be hooked up to the iv because of the epidural, we also went for the gbs antibiotics to buy us time from having to get pitocin since the water had been broke for quite a few hours and we wanted to give my body time to rest and let the contractions do the work for me while I rested. The epidural allowed me to sleep for a while and recover some strength while my body continued to do the rest and I was finally ready to push!

Unfortunately my contractions were dependent on the position I was in and were not consistent on frequency on what the midwife wanted to see as optimal for pushing. The midwife had to go assist with c-section, but based on any progress made, the options were more and more starting to lean toward a c-section as well. We opted for pitocin at that point to try and get the contractions closer together and give then more power than what I was able to provide, and while she was gone (about 45 mins) we got her crowned and they called for any midwife to come up as was still in surgery! She made it as well so there were 2 midwives there, and about 15 mins later she was out, with a nice healthy cry!

Of all the decisions I had to make as far as deviating from my birth plan, I tried every alternative possible first, and they were pretty good at letting me try to an extent, but the potential for a c-section was out of the question and gave me the motivation and determination to get her out vaginally. So, almost 42 hours from when contractions started Thursday am, Makayla finally showed up! The great thing through it all was having Makayla respond perfectly to everything that happened which allowed them the flexibility to let me try more options before having to make decisions to alter my birth plan. And my doula throughout the whole thing was a godsend and helped us both tremendously, especially mentally after such a long time of being in labor.

We had to stay in the hospital 5 days instead of the normal 2 for first time moms as she got a temp one the second day and they wanted to monitor her Bilirubin levels as she was susceptible to getting jaundice due to having a different blood type as me. She also started losing too much weight (down to 14.4% from birth weight) and they had to monitor that and wouldn't release her until we could show her getting a positive weight gain. But we're home now and all issues are either gone or being resolved (weight gain)!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    @lilchino4af: Congratulations on your baby girl! :) Glad to hear you are home safe with baby! :)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a story. I think you did a great job responding to all the different situations. It sounds like the doulas were a great help and you were a trooper. Congratulations on your baby girl!
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Glad things went well lilchino. So glad you had a Doula to help you out with the hard decisions and you were able to slowly progress through interventions rather than go from 0-60 like so many docs prefer. Will you be putting pics of your little one up?
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I entered the third tri last week and it's so exciting to hear your birth story. I love how you continued to make really well-considered decisions throughout all the challenges and difficulties. I hope that I am able to follow in your footsteps should the need arise. I was also on the fence about a doula, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one! I've started contacting a few already.
    Congrats on your new baby!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Glad things went well lilchino. So glad you had a Doula to help you out with the hard decisions and you were able to slowly progress through interventions rather than go from 0-60 like so many docs prefer. Will you be putting pics of your little one up?
    Here's a pic of her being cuddled by grandpa after being bathed & fed :smile:
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Cograts Ariel! Looks like you got an adorable little bundle of joy there! Hope recovery is going well

Lilchino he is soooooo cute! :)
  • VelociMama
    Options
    YAY Ariel!! Beautiful baby! Congrats!
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats to all the new babies! Secondly, I have a question for all of you. I am 31 weeks + 4 days and starting yesterday I have been having increased movement along with a sharp tingling sensation in my privates. Anyone else have this? Do you know what could be causing it?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    First of all, congrats to all the new babies! Secondly, I have a question for all of you. I am 31 weeks + 4 days and starting yesterday I have been having increased movement along with a sharp tingling sensation in my privates. Anyone else have this? Do you know what could be causing it?

Could be your baby kicking your cervix or rooting his/her head on it. Mine did this for a while.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Could be your baby kicking your cervix or rooting his/her head on it. Mine did this for a while.

Yeah, that would be my guess too. Feels like very sharp stabbing pains. I think it means that the baby is getting bigger and that your baby's head is starting to getting settled into position for delivery. But it sure does hurt!
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I never really had those sharp pains with my first.