May 2013 Due Dates

Options

Replies

• laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sorry ladies about the heartburn!! I have it pretty bad some days as well. It's like I can't eat as much either because my stomach feels so pushed up. I've found it doesn't really matter what I eat even though they say to avoid so many things....it also doesn't make a difference when I eat, whether before bed or earlier in the evening. There is just not enough space in there! If I eat smaller portions though it helps most of the time.

I'm getting a lot more BH as well...I'm surprised since it's my first. But I've decided I will probably just walk for these last two months. I've kept up jogging until now (32 weeks) but it's getting too uncomfortable and baby is growing really rapidly and sitting really low in head down position so you can imagine! And the BH are uncomfortable but usually come when I have been doing a lot during the day and slightly dehydrated. Last night they were coming pretty frequently and I almost called the doctor but then they stopped when I got up and walked around for a second, then slept in a different position.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    mormonmomma - My son was thankfully never into pacifiers even as a newborn (you're like, gee thanks for sharing!), but I have friends whose kids are about the same age as our boys and are expecting again, and they've had success by saying they need to "donate" them to the baby. Another friend said hers gave up the pacifier once the new baby arrived. I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at the fact that your son had a stash! That sounds like something my son would do...

As for BH, I definitely have them anytime I go upstairs or exert myself in any way. It tenses up for a few minutes, and then the tension slowly dissipates. It makes it really hard to get anything done! For me, sitting still is about the only way I can make them go away.

I meant to add, too, that I am back to measuring normally again. At the appointment before my last one I was measuring about two weeks ahead, but last Thursday she told me I was back to measuring perfectly, so I guess I caught up. I go next Wednesday again, so we'll see, and then after that I think I start going weekly :noway:

Anyone else feel like they are being kicked/punched/whatever in the cervix? It's definitely weird pressure from the inside. I don't remember this last time! I hope this doesn't mean my baby will end up feet first. I remember last time that my son was head-down beginning with the pelvic checks at 34 weeks, and he stayed that way.

ETA that maybe because I am thinner for this pregnancy than I was with my first, I feel everything a lot more sharply. Like right now I am getting punched or kicked in the belly button. Earlier s/he was punching or kicking me in the ribs. I don't remember sharp jabs like that last time! I know those will start disappearing, though, as s/he begins to run out of room in there.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! I know what you mean....except I feel his head moving or pressing down low on my cervix....last night in the midst of the BH it was as though I could feel his head rotate from side to side and I could feel a little hand near his head too....at least I think that's what I'm feeling. I had an ultrasound at 24 weeks to check my placenta (it was low-lying when we did the anatomy scan) and thankfully the placenta had moved way up and he was also already in head-down position. I think by now he is too big to flip again but I definitely see everything and feel the kicks pretty intensely when he moves. It gets more uncomfortable the bigger he gets/takes my breath away! I think what I see is a knee move and my belly button pops out for a second. It's funny and so weird to see! I already feel like there's no room but still 8 weeks left.
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies....I have been MIA for a loooong time :blushing: I stopped tracking on MFP because it was making me just a little too obsessive! I'll be at the 30 week mark tomorrow and I've gained 29lbs so far, which my doctor is happy with. It really seems to have steadied off in the past month or so, which I am grateful for. I'm still getting to the gym 3-5 times a week, and if not, walking outside during my break at work since its finally getting nicer outside. Still lifting and doing all my cardio, and 2 yoga classes each week (regular ones, not prenatal). Although this belly is starting to get in the way of some of the poses :laugh: I want to get a yoga DVD to do at home on the days that I am not getting to the gym, because the stretching feels reallllllly good these days. Anyone have suggestions on good DVDs that will actually give me somewhat of a workout? I'm not a fan of hatha/gentle yoga and I'm not really interested in prenatal DVDs because I feel like they will be too slow (aka boring). I've been practicing yoga for over 10 years so I'm comfortable making modifications as needed.

I'm going to take some time now to catch up on this thread. I hope everyone has been doing well!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MtMcConnel
    MtMcConnel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to MFP and am also due in May, so I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm at 30 weeks with my first, a girl.

BananaCat83 - I am not big into yoga and do it mostly to keep some flexibility/cross train from running. I have a few non-prenatal yoga DVDs that I like, but you may want to check out reviews online from others to make sure they are a good workout since I'm not as serious about yoga as you are. I like an instructor named Rodney Yee who makes videos with Gaiam. I have Power Yoga Collection, AM Yoga for Your Week (I like this one best because there are several short workouts that target an area - easy to squeeze into a busy day), and Yoga for Athletes. Good luck finding one you like!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Welcome MtMcConnel!

I have had a busy day! First we finally had the rest of our furniture delivered for our son's room. There was a little snafu, but it got worked out, kinda sorta. Even though the bedding isn't in yet, we hung out with him in there and read books on his new bed. He seemed to love it! Then we went to buy curtains, sheets, and a wireless camera to try to use it as a baby monitor with our iPhones because the one we've been using messes up from time to time. On Tuesday, the comforter set I ordered comes in, and the bed rails should be in shortly thereafter. So before too long he should be sleeping (I hope!) in his new room!

Also, I have been keeping an eye out for deals on the new Avent breast pump, and finally I saw that it was on sale at Target but unavailable online, plus I had a 10% off coupon from Avent for the pump. Since we were going to Target anyway, I figured I'd see what the in-store price was and find out if they'd honor the online price since ordering online is not an option. Well, it was $270 in-store, but there was one marked for $189 I thought because the box was a bit rough (not smashed but marked up). I took it up to customer service, and they tell me that it was a return but that as far as they know there's nothing wrong with it. I still have the warranty and the ability to return it, plus the box was still sealed, and I have since opened it to make sure all is fine. It was also obvious that everything in the box hadn't been touched. All in all, after the coupon, the $270 pump cost me $170! Given that insurance will reimburse me $150, the new pump cost me $20 :D I'm pretty psyched about that.

However while walking around various stores, I felt like the baby was rooting around by my cervix and also bumping into my bladder and giving me sudden urges to pee... It doesn't help that I have a cough and have to fight not to pee a little when I do cough! I think this baby is just hanging out low because I am getting less activity near my ribs and more uncomfortable pokes down there. Let's hope that means he or she is happy down there!

How is everyone's weekend so far?
  • MtMcConnel
    MtMcConnel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    RBXChas - glad your furniture finally came in & in one piece! What a frustrating experience, so glad you were able to get them to remedy it this weekend.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a breast pump! I wish my insurance would work like yours to reimburse me for one I buy. My insurance requires me to buy one through an approved Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider. So I called the DME to see what I needed to do and I have to pick one, submit it, they'll submit it to my insurance to see if it's approved and then they'll tell me if it's approved or rejected. I asked both the insurance company and the DME provider to have a list of what would be approved, so I could just pick from that list and not play this guessing game. But they told me they can't do that - why I don't know. Seems like a very backwards, silly process. I guess I better get started on the paperwork to make sure I have one by the time I have this baby!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    RBXChas - glad your furniture finally came in & in one piece! What a frustrating experience, so glad you were able to get them to remedy it this weekend.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a breast pump! I wish my insurance would work like yours to reimburse me for one I buy. My insurance requires me to buy one through an approved Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider. So I called the DME to see what I needed to do and I have to pick one, submit it, they'll submit it to my insurance to see if it's approved and then they'll tell me if it's approved or rejected. I asked both the insurance company and the DME provider to have a list of what would be approved, so I could just pick from that list and not play this guessing game. But they told me they can't do that - why I don't know. Seems like a very backwards, silly process. I guess I better get started on the paperwork to make sure I have one by the time I have this baby!

It took a lot of phone calls and e-mails to figure out what the deal was with breast pump benefits. Even then I got wispy-washy answers, but I got them all in writing. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and they told me it didn't matter where I bought my pump from. All I know is that I am allowed to buy it now but can't file the claim until after birth, and I am limited to one pump per year associated with a birth. Honestly I think since coverage is so new for all these insurers, the vast majority don't really know how to handle it. I hope yours gives you some flexibility in what you can buy because I knew what pump I wanted and would be angry if I found out it wasn't on some "approved" list. The most popular Medela pump (the Pump in Style) was a nightmare for me. I think a lot of women are pushed towards Medela, and while they are the gold standard in hospital-grade pumps, their personal-use pumps leave much to be desired IMO. I am an Avent fan, and I know some other ladies on here like Ameda, too. Hopefully you'll get what you need without too much trouble!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Wireless camera was a bust. My husband tried setting it up literally all morning before giving up. I think we are just going to buy an additional camera for the monitor we already have, which costs about the same anyway. I think I prefer it that way, anyway!
  • AbbyHoopi
    AbbyHoopi Posts: 48
    Options
    I am due May 14th (but went 6 days over with my 1st so I am looking realistically at May 20th just so I am not devastated going over like I was the 1st time). We are having a little boy and my 1st is now a very active wild 3 year old little boy!! :)

On a side note... I am looking to be-friend any mommas that have had success with EBF their little ones!! :) I had a terrible go at it with my first and need some support from experienced moms out there!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    On a side note... I am looking to be-friend any mommas that have had success with EBF their little ones!! :) I had a terrible go at it with my first and need some support from experienced moms out there!

Welcome Abby!

I had a horrible time with breastfeeding the first time around (I have a 2-year-old son and have chosen to be surprised with what sex our baby is this time), and this time I'd like to breastfeed/pump exclusively (I have nothing against pumping - I'd just like to avoid the cost of formula this time). I joined the Breastfeeding Support group pre-emptively and have been lurking. I actually posted a question there for the first time today and have gotten a couple of responses, though I haven't read them yet. They're not as active as we are over here on the pregnancy board, but with little ones, that's to be expected: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/197-breastfeeding-support
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newcomers!

RBXChas: glad to hear the bedroom is finally getting pulled together/the furniture worked out!

Re:pumps - our insurance required us to go through a DME as well but they were able to provide us a list of the approved types. So weird that they'd make you go through the whole process! My hubby said maybe it's so everyone doesn't just go for the top-of-the-line option automatically.:wink: By the way, we bought a Medela Pump in Style (backpack version) and I have never had any problems with it. I got mine in Jan 2010 so I don't know if it has changed at all in the past couple years.

Abby: I exclusively breastfed my first daughter for her whole first year. I pumped once a day on days I had to work (parttime) but that was all. With the twins, I exclusively breastfed for about 3-4 months, then started exclusively pumping for time management (still using my Medela) for a couple months, and slowly transitioned to half formula, half breastmilk and then eventually moved to all formula around 9 or 10 months. This wasn't because of dwindling supply; it was because I was having to spend SO MUCH TIME pumping that it was interfering with actual interaction with the babies. I'd be on the couch pumping, and they would be on the floor wanting me to play with them/read to them but I couldn't because I was pumping for 30+ min (it takes forever when you're pumping a good 30oz at a time!). I'm planning on breastfeeding this next baby, though, just like my first, since it'll be much more manageable with only one. :smile:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    (it takes forever when you're pumping a good 30oz at a time!)

Whoa, dude! That's incredible! I was lucky if I could pump 3oz in an entire day! My sister had similar supply issues with her first as I had with my first, and then with her second she could pump 8-10oz in a sitting. (Then she had back surgery so as to avoid significant nerve damage, so she was pumping like crazy since she wouldn't be able to breastfeed/pump after surgery due to medication.) I can only hope this time I have a good supply like that!

ETA that her second baby wouldn't latch, so she ended up EPing while she could.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

It's been awhile, but we finally made the move to Canada this weekend and we're getting settled in.

Welcome MtMcConnel!

RBX- nice score on the pump! Glad your furniture came in too! I bet that's a relief.

Welcome Abby!

Tara, Laser - hope you're all doing well.

Jess, glad the ultrasound went well!

MormonMommy- I hear you on the nesting! Being without a home for so long I was so sad not to nest.

LadyJacc- I'm looking into classes, I feel unprepared! How are your classes going?
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    So.....we traveled for over a month.... Great Barrier Reef, New Zealand, Fiji, back home to Oregon for the baby shower and then moved to Canada last weekend. I'm exhausted.

GBR was amazing for snorkeling! New Zealand was absolutely breathtaking..... We stopped at a gorgeous river that was this crystal clear turquoise color like the ocean! It was shocking! Rolling hills and cliffs and animals on wide open land. We want to go back to NZ and spend a few weeks when our Bub is older.

Fiji, we stayed on a tiny island with only a few other guests. The staff lived on the island too and there was a high level of interaction between staff and guest, we loved that! They invited us into their Kava ceremony and we played vidi vidi with them at night (their local game). Fijians are the nicest people I've met in all my travels! We went to the island where Tom Hanks Castaway was filmed (I've never seen that movie).

Back home in Oregon, I had a lovely shower and the Bub was so spoiled! The amount of clothes we got is out of control! My mom washed them all for me last weekend, what a help! My Dad and husband put together our nursery here in the apartment......we've turned a tiny 6 x 7 space into her room.

Other than that, my belly feels tight most of the time, especially at the top. It's uncomfortable, is this Braxton Hicks? Also feeling lots of pressure on my bladder, is that the babies head? She is moving a lot in the last few days and the tightness has gotten worse :frown:

Oh and as my Canadian midwife predicted, I failed the 1 hour GD (Canada doesn't even offer it as its unreliable). I had to do the GD tests in the US and ended up passing the 3 hour with flying colors, but it was drama. I got so sick and needed to throw up, they told me the test would be invalid and I'd have to start over, so I kept swallowing it back down......so gross. Then my IBS reared its ugly head and I was sick the whole time. I HATE that test, but so happy I passed.

How's everyone?
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Sorry to be MIA; I've been lurking but haven't really had anything much of my own to report.

It's good to see you back, rubybeach! I'm envious of all your exotic globetrotting travels!

Based on what friends were telling me, I expected the third trimester to be really difficult. Week 27 certainly started out that way -I was super exhausted, nauseous, and achy again (also had a lot of tightness on top, so much so that I had a band of numbness up there -I think it was the uterus expanding as far high up as it can possibly grow, plus baby kicking). It turns out I was slightly anemic. Normally I am mostly vegetarian and I hadn't actually cooked raw meat in years, but I decided to give it a try and I have been feeling loads better. I don't know if it's the iron or the protein or just the nature of my pregnancy at this point, but I have so much more energy. I'm also sleeping much better and feeling more alert. My cravings and therefore calories are slightly more under control, too. Heartburn is always lurking in the background, but it's still quite manageable. I take 2 tbl of aloe vera juice every morning and then papaya enzymes throughout the day as needed; again, it's hard to tell whether that's made a difference over the long term or this pregnancy is just not extreme heartburn makeover (yet....).

This week is a family milestone in that my sister went into premature labor with the first grandchild at 33w6d, and I think the knowledge of that has triggered a recent nesting instinct in me. Probably most of you have already bought baby gear and clothes and set up the nursery and packed your hospital bags, but I only just got going on it. I hired a doula (although my husband doesn't seem to be so on board with that, so it's not quite a done deal), went to a big children's consignment event, got the crib, have been washing all of the clothes, attended a La Leche League meeting, starting reading breastfeeding books, etc. My biggest worry right now is figuring out cloth diapers and what supplies I'll need. And I'm glad the group has started to talk about breastfeeding, since that feels to me like the last scary frontier of physical challenge in this process.

Exercise: I've continued to do what I've been doing since the second trimester -water running with paddles + about a mile of lap swimming 3-4 times a week, and prenatal yoga on the other days. Weirdly enough, I feel like the prenatal yoga isn't challenging me adequately, whereas before I felt so achy and uncomfortable that it was the perfect exercise. The Bradley course has had me doing tons of kegels in all kinds of creative combinations; I haven't been able to get all of recommended number them in each day, but I have already noticed a HUGE difference in my ability to control that muscle. Hopefully they will come in handy later.

I'm 33w4d right now and I'm actually feeling better than I have all pregnancy! I keep thinking this can't be normal, but hey, I'll take it!
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The Bradley course has had me doing tons of kegels in all kinds of creative combinations; I haven't been able to get all of recommended number them in each day, but I have already noticed a HUGE difference in my ability to control that muscle. Hopefully they will come in handy later.

You've got my attention - care to share some of these creative combinations? I'm the WORST at getting my kegels in (I even have to set a reminder on my phone for 3pm every day... 3pm *ding ding* Kegel!) and would love to hear of some more 'creative' options to keep me entertained...
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fiji, we stayed on a tiny island with only a few other guests. The staff lived on the island too and there was a high level of interaction between staff and guest, we loved that! They invited us into their Kava ceremony and we played vidi vidi with them at night (their local game). Fijians are the nicest people I've met in all my travels! We went to the island where Tom Hanks Castaway was filmed (I've never seen that movie).

So, SO stinkin' jealous of you! That sounds like a dream! Was the fresh fruit out of this world?
    Other than that, my belly feels tight most of the time, especially at the top. It's uncomfortable, is this Braxton Hicks? Also feeling lots of pressure on my bladder, is that the babies head? She is moving a lot in the last few days and the tightness has gotten worse :frown:

Same here - tight belly on and off - my assumption is also that it's Braxton Hicks. It's not painful, just odd feeling and lasts for about 15-30 seconds. I believe the warning flags would be if you felt that more than 4 -5 times in an hour for longer than 30 seconds at a time. But, I'm new to this too. :smile:

I hear you with the bladder issues -- I had to laugh at RBX's story of walking around target having to sporadically pee. Those sudden urges are killer! *bam* pee! My FIL was in town over the weekend so we did a lot of walking showing him Seattle's waterfront, etc, and I peed at pretty much every Starbucks we passed... which, if you know Seattle, was about every 3,000 feet.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I had to laugh at RBX's story of walking around target having to sporadically pee. Those sudden urges are killer! *bam* pee! My FIL was in town over the weekend so we did a lot of walking showing him Seattle's waterfront, etc, and I peed at pretty much every Starbucks we passed... which, if you know Seattle, was about every 3,000 feet.

Seriously, the worst is when I'm sitting for a while and then get up and it's like, WHOA, gotta pee! I have been fighting either a cold or a sinus infection or allergies or something that have included a cough for about a week. Every time I cough it's a fight not to pee! (Thank goodness for maxi pads!) This is weird, too, but I've found that if I look up at the ceiling when I cough, it must do something where it doesn't disturb the lower abdomen, since I don't have to work as hard not to pee. Though this morning I did that just as I was about to get in the shower and literally peed a little on my bathroom floor. I wasn't so worried about myself, as I was undressed and about to shower, but I did have to grab the spray cleaner and clean it up :embarassed: I never had this much of an issue with my last pregnancy! I think this baby is just hanging out super, super low.

But I am super jealous of rubybeach's travels! Fiji sounds AWESOME! I have always wanted to go there! Snorkeling on the GBR is also on my bucket list. It sucks that I have this crazy fear of flying (well, not so crazy, since it stems from being on a flight where something actually went wrong, but that's another story for another day). I love the water, though, so maybe I'll be wealthy enough one day to charter a huge yacht and travel with a bunch of people I wouldn't mind being stuck on a boat with :wink:
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Kegel combinations:
    (I do all contractions on the exhale and all releases on the exhale, which is what I learned in prenatal yoga)

Regular:
    Contract, relax, repeat

"Elevator" kegels:
    -regular contraction, graded relaxation in five steps (like going down five floors on an elevator and stopping at each one)
    -graded contraction, graded relaxation, " "
    any combination of the above, plus a three second hold at the top

Sprint kegels:
    really fast series of contract and relax, like a pulse

That's as far as we've gotten. We're doing 100-150/day for now. I find myself doing them before bed, when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep right away, and after working out. I try to do them in the car or during lectures, but I find they take too much concentration.