BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2013

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the NSV's (or even when I lose on the scale) can cause a binge. it is like I feel I do not deserve the good thing happening to me and I sabatoge it. I can't handle the good or the bad. I am learning to change it.

I totally agree! I find I almost give myself permission to begin a binge when I am lower in weight.. it seems every week I do so well, then Saturday comes along and I spend the weekend binging, only to start on Monday where I was the previous week. Its like a giant step back, baby steps forward then another giant step back that keeps me at the same place.
    I totally agree with both of these statements and I have learned as long as I do the weekend binges I will not lose weight either. Why? Because 2 days of binges wipes out 5 days of normal eating for sure. That is why I am working hard to manage the weekend binges. This has been my experience.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Any survival tips for weekend binges? I do my long runs for marathon training and I always binge afterwards it sucks
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :) Welcome Carly!

Two topics discussed above caught my attention:
    One: Control. I am one of the people who react to too much control with mindless rebellion. It's true in my personal life and definitely in my eating. In fact, my success since I started on MFP is probably because of the freedom I have to eat anything I want as long as I stay within my calorie limit and even if I don't stay within, I get to keep on trying. It's perfect for me. I really binge like crazy every time I try to plan ahead by making meals or pre logging my food. As soon as I say "no" to myself, I am off proving that I will do whatever I want.. just like a child.
    Two: Success leads to a binge. So very true for me, too! My last big success was the Valentine's Day challenge and once I finished that, I was binging off and on for weeks! I really don't know what to do about this, because success is both my goal and my downfall....Slow and steady is better than fast and inconsistent, I suppose, so I may need to just stay at losing one pound per week. I don't get really excited and feel any great satisfaction if i only lose a pound - I have a lot to lose and many other people on MFP have lost a lot more than that every week! But, it's some how unsettling to my healthy state of mind. if I lose too much. :ohwell:
  • kzslucas
    kzslucas Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this group. Been using MFP on and off for a year. I've been trying to find a support group for even longer than that......having had much luck. I'm in a really "dark" place right now emotionally.....

Don't want to live some days.....never succeed at anything....need help.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this group. Been using MFP on and off for a year. I've been trying to find a support group for even longer than that......having had much luck. I'm in a really "dark" place right now emotionally.....

Don't want to live some days.....never succeed at anything....need help.

Welcome to the group, I can relate, being in a pretty dark place myself right now, and certainly having experienced the loss of will to live many times since I was very young. Keep fighting, post here, and feel free to add me and message me if you want some support and a listening ear.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Any survival tips for weekend binges? I do my long runs for marathon training and I always binge afterwards it sucks

My immediate thought is you are simply not eating enough to fuel your body for your runs. That is quite intense training and if you are under nourishing your body in any way, it will drive you to eat. I get the same thing if I do a long exercise session or cycle ride, and have not been eating enough or don't eat something soon after finishing.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options

My immediate thought is you are simply not eating enough to fuel your body for your runs. That is quite intense training and if you are under nourishing your body in any way, it will drive you to eat. I get the same thing if I do a long exercise session or cycle ride, and have not been eating enough or don't eat something soon after finishing.

I'm not sure. I do believe I fuel adequately I just think the binging is more a "reward" to myself as opposed to a biochemical need. However, I was listening to a Dr Rob podcast and he was saying most endurance cardio triggers carbohydrate cravings to replenish the glycogen you used during exercise, and I definitely crave carbs.. oh boy do I crave carbs..

I guess the craving is biochemical, but the granting myself twelve bowls of raisin bran to reward myself is the binge part that I need to work on... sigh

@21007 (I wish I knew your name!)
    we have all been there. I sent you a friend request I hope you'll accept.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

I'm not sure. I do believe I fuel adequately I just think the binging is more a "reward" to myself as opposed to a biochemical need. However, I was listening to a Dr Rob podcast and he was saying most endurance cardio triggers carbohydrate cravings to replenish the glycogen you used during exercise, and I definitely crave carbs.. oh boy do I crave carbs..

I guess the craving is biochemical, but the granting myself twelve bowls of raisin bran to reward myself is the binge part that I need to work on... sigh

@21007 (I wish I knew your name!)
    we have all been there. I sent you a friend request I hope you'll accept.

I find having a carton of alpro chocolate soya milk pretty soon after does the trick and calms things enough to remain in control. Any chocolate milk would probably do. Or I go and have a soya latte.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have had a few good days in a row! I also was able to exercise outside since it was in the 50’s for a few days. Fresh air and sunshine do so much to improve my mood!! Plus, those workouts were much harder and intense. The wind, the pavement, hills etc… all get a good workout in. I rode my bike and ran. Yesterday the whole family went hiking at a nearby state park. We were muddy and tired but had so much fun. It was 2 and 1/2 hours of hills, steps etc. What a workout!
    We went out to eat twice over the weekend. Which is very rare for us! I did not binge those days! For some reason I might binge when I get home. Especially if I feel deprived because I had a small meal at the restaurant. However both places I was able to get a good sized meal. Yesterday I even ate a more fattening meal because I had the calories for the day. I did skip the breads though and that lowered the calories. It felt good to have that meal and not go home and eat till I was sick (sometimes a less healthy meal makes me crave bad foods)

Graelwyn75, my Mom also sends crappy foods at holidays to me. It drives me nuts cause she knows I do not want to eat that. I almost think my Mom is doing it on purpose. (long story she is a rather horrible Mom) However I bet yours is just trying to be nice. Maybe explain you cannot have so much candy in the house? She may not realize what she did. Good job getting back on track!!!

tsikkz, I think I take lots of steps back. I like how you said that!! Also the weekend binges are so hard!! Maybe before your runs you can tray a protein snack? Sometimes with intense exercise I can be hungry afterwards. Are you starving after the run? Maybe right away eat something healthy that has protein. It may help you feel satisfied.

Mollie1037, I agree Mollie, I am sick of wiping out the good days with binges. It frustrates me so much.

Chibea, I love your insight. So smart!! I am so glad I am not the only one that has binges from success! I feel so much better that others understand what I mean!!

I hope everyone is doing well!! Remember if you need help reach out to someone. I am sure all of us here would be happy to help!!! I know I would.

Karen
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I just want to be normal, and be able to have food around my kitchen, knowing I am safe with it, and being able to just have a bit here and there.

Agreed!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    My goal for April is to fill out my diary each and every day. Please help hold me accountable for this. I did this last year May - Nov every day and it made a huge difference. I have to get back at it. Logging my food helps me make better decisions and helps me focus on my binge behavior.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    You can do it Diane!! I am going to join you with the logging everything every day in April! Lets do it!! Weekends is when I flounder on the logging and binges too.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    My goal is to allow myself a meal I might normally not have, if I feel the urge to binge creeping up, as having a less than stellar meal, would be better than ending up in an all out binge. Also want to try and ensure I get to the gym 5 days a week at least, and lose 2-3 Ibs minimum this month. Also trying to keep refined sugar foods to one day a week, no more.
  • karendee4
    Options
    I started off April Bad. I binged last night. I was super tired and stressed. That might be the trigger. Oh well. I will focus on the postive It had been many days since my last binge.

I also am still volunteering in a school once a week. Today I go there. It is tough cause they interviewed me for a position and I did not get it. Kind of stressful going to volunteer there now that they did not hire me.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    My goal is to allow myself a meal I might normally not have, if I feel the urge to binge creeping up, as having a less than stellar meal, would be better than ending up in an all out binge. Also want to try and ensure I get to the gym 5 days a week at least, and lose 2-3 Ibs minimum this month. Also trying to keep refined sugar foods to one day a week, no more.
    Sounds good Kate!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I started off April Bad. I binged last night. I was super tired and stressed. That might be the trigger. Oh well. I will focus on the postive It had been many days since my last binge.
    Good attitude Karen!
    I also am still volunteering in a school once a week. Today I go there. It is tough cause they interviewed me for a position and I did not get it. Kind of stressful going to volunteer there now that they did not hire me.
    So if this is stressing you out, why are you continuing to go? Are you getting any good benefits out of it. If you are then think of the positive benefits and don't harp on that they did not hire you.
  • karendee4
    Options
    Thanks Mollie!

It is stressful going there. However I LOVE the kids. I enjoy working with them, I will complete the year and hope that the teachers give me nice recomendation letters. That will help. The principal did say she wanted to keep me in mind for future positions. (She may have just said that to be nice).

Sometimes the day after a binge is so hard. I am tired again and busy. I will be very careful tonight!
  • karendee4
    Options

Great plan!! I never thought of a different meal to help keep away a binge. Let us know if it works for you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Great plan!! I never thought of a different meal to help keep away a binge. Let us know if it works for you.

Yes, the problem with me is when I am on track, I tend to get very rigid about what I eat, having the same foods every evening etc, and I become almost paranoid about having anything that is not very basic. So, I might fancy a specific microwave meal (some of the ones here in the Uk are actually not bad on ingredients) or I might fancy a large baked potato with something, but I will be so caught up in feeling I must have a certain amount of protein, and must have my big serving of veggies, and that it must be lean fish, or chicken, or beans, that I won't allow myself. The only times I have a meal out are when I am in London with my mum because she tends to always eat out with guests, or when I have been on a bad binge and have stopped caring. Never, while on track, do I think, oh hey, I might go and have breakfast out.... or lunch out. I am very all or nothing, one extreme or the other. In that sense, I think mfp has done me a disservice as I got by quite well for some years, having baked potatoes lots of times, having my microwave bean chilli, or my quorn burgers and beans, and my bags of chocolate buttons and mcflurries, and I felt well on it. Granted, I probably was not very fit at the time, as I only did some walking, but I was sure as heck happier than I am now with my constant food analysis. I also did not binge. Sure, I sometimes had a big bag of chocolate, but I did not binge. That started when I joined mfp.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm new, and I'm really scared. I've been getting progressively worse with my bingeing over the past 6 months. To the point where it's 1-2x a week and 4000+ calorie days. I don't know what to do or how to control my impulses and I'm really scared.
This discussion has been closed.