Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    For those that use BP Coffee, do you workout in the morning?
    How well does the coffee work along with a workout? How do you time drinking the coffee (pre-workout or post-workout)?

Thanks!

I do work out after having only BPC for breakfast. However I do take a protein shake and drink as soon as I finish workout. And if that isn't enough, I will have a protein bar too or some string cheese. I literally drink my shake in the dressing room. I am diabetic so I need something after a workout if I only have BPC for breakfast. I do feel fine during workout and seem to have plenty of energy to weight train And cardio!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow morning. :)
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I literally just started low carb 2 days ago. Feel pretty low on energy at the moment but guess that is the usual until you are in ketosis. I am going to give this a try tomorrow morning to see if it helps give me a boost of energy :)
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    This is my second morning using the BP coffee for breakfast. I have the BP coffee at around 6:30am.
    I normally take a very late lunch at work (approx 2pm). Yesterday I was able to work until 12:30 before I had to have a bit to eat (light snack). I was up at 5:30am and worked out for 45 minutes before having my coffee.

Same this morning (up at 5:30 for my workout, coffee at 6:30am).

I've got a really great level of energy and was not "starving" at all.
  • tris57
    tris57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also my second morning of Bulletproof coffee (4th day low carb/high fat), and although there are probably a few other factors at play- I feel pretty flippin' epic today.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Well after reading about this bullet proof coffee drink I decided to try it. I went after work to get my kerry gold at trader joes. I decided to make myself a drink and see how it goes for dinner. I'm still sipping it down. Honestly it is not the greatest in taste but that may be because I'm not use to such a "rich" drink. Still, I'm chugging it down a sip at a time and the more I taste it the more I get a "taste" for it if you know what I mean. I don't think it's something that everyone will like first hand. I think its an acquired taste. I'll see how I feel the rest of the evening. Of course, I'm also going to drink this tomorrow morning and test how long before I get hungry. I like that it's only 300-400 calories. I can allot that much calories to one meal, no problem.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I must be abnormal. LOL. I had 12 oz of coffee this morning with 2 tbls heavy cream and 2 tbls of coconut oil. 3 hours later, I'm starving. I don't understand what everyone is talking about being able to go until at least lunch. Oh well. I guess I'm not that lucky. :grumble:
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Did you use butter as well?

For some reason I'm suspecting that if your body is not used to using fat for energy it is going to "ask" by hunger pangs to eat. I don't know if that's true. I'm just throwing ideas around.

This morning I tried the bulletproff but this time I added heavy cream and skipped the chocolate. It tasted much better to me this way. Still, I'm not used to so much "richness". It is hard for me to drink in one sip. I can get a tiny bit queasy too. I was hungry but not as much as I was yesterday. There were no hunger pangs. It was more like uneasiness perhaps because I'm used to eating something for breakfast rather than drinking.

Around lunch time today I wasn't all that hungry. I know I needed to eat but I didn't feel hunger per say. It was more of a empty feeling so I had some lunch.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to try this again tomorrow. I like the idea of not giving the body any sugar until later in the day. I just don't know how long it take my body to know that the fat I drank IS breakfast and to use it for energy accordingly.

Oh I wanted to add that energy wise I felt great. I felt like I could go for a jog.
  • Beverleybelle123
    Options
    Bump. Deffo going to try this tomorrow
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the recipe OP!
    I've had this 3 days in a row and I am losing about 1lb a day. Admittedly only a week into the Atkins again but its at least my third time trying induction. Last time I was resistant to weight loss and stalled. It does taste better than I thought it would do. I love the coco-nutty flavour. I was also worried it was going to be a bit aggressive on my digestive system but was fine.
    So easy to make up and take in a coffee mug on the commute.
    I'm in London so was lucky enough to get the raw butter at a local Farmer's market and get the coconut oil from Ocado.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Glad that worked out for you! I still do BPC every morning, still works great for me.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    For those that use BP Coffee, do you workout in the morning?
    How well does the coffee work along with a workout? How do you time drinking the coffee (pre-workout or post-workout)?

Thanks!
    Yes, I work out every morning at about 6 AM. I do Beach Body workouts, which are pretty intense. I always work out on an empty stomach. My body should be in fat burning mode while I work out. Then I do BPC about 30 minutes after workout.
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this tomorrow! I wish I would've discovered it sooner. I have to force myself to eat breakfast, but coffee is my thing! And with cocoa, too? I may just go to sleep early so I don't have to wait as long! :laugh:
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    caffeine is only a piece of it, though. taking your body from a fasting state, where it is burning fat, to a non-fasted state with nothing but fat (basically) means you stay in that place where you are burning nothing but fat. I think that's a big part of what works here.

the weight you were talking about earlier can be nothing but food and water in and out. not actual weight gain.

what is happening is the caffeine is a diuretic and you aren't eating as much as you would if you had a proper breakfast so it's just the actual food weight that isn't showing up that used to.

it sounds like you're just giving yourself empty calories and caffeine.

better to just have a coffee and some egg whites adn veggies imho. at least you're getting nutrients that way. yeah you might show up a little heavier on the scales and then loose a little later but it's really just water.

I've tossed my scale. I think it does more harm than good.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    caffeine is only a piece of it, though. taking your body from a fasting state, where it is burning fat, to a non-fasted state with nothing but fat (basically) means you stay in that place where you are burning nothing but fat. I think that's a big part of what works here.

the weight you were talking about earlier can be nothing but food and water in and out. not actual weight gain.

what is happening is the caffeine is a diuretic and you aren't eating as much as you would if you had a proper breakfast so it's just the actual food weight that isn't showing up that used to.

it sounds like you're just giving yourself empty calories and caffeine.

better to just have a coffee and some egg whites adn veggies imho. at least you're getting nutrients that way. yeah you might show up a little heavier on the scales and then loose a little later but it's really just water.

I've tossed my scale. I think it does more harm than good.

Except that fat satiates. For those doing Low-Carb, High Fat, this is a great "proper breakfast". If you think 300 high fat calories with almost no carbs are "empty", I'm not sure you've grasped the goals that many of us doing low carb strive to.

Egg whites and veggies as a "proper breakfast". That's actually kind of funny. Maybe with whole eggs. And cooked with butter and cream.

Dietary fat is our friend on low carb, not the enemy.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Since I eat no carbs except those that are present in vegetables, an egg white and veggie breakfast would be awful for me. There is absolutely no fat or carbs in that meal. What would happen is that my body would metabolize the protein in the egg whites in to glucose and I would end up with a blood sugar spike. Besides, I eat 450 calories for breakfast. Do you have any idea how much egg whites and veggies I'd have to eat to get enough calories in me to sustain myself after a 400 calorie morning workout?

Now, moving on to the fat content of my breakfast. Coconut oil is composed of 65% Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT). MCT's are metabolized much better by the body and contribute to increased energy expenditure and reduction in adipose tissues according to this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12634436.

The butter I eat is all from grass fed, pastured cows. This means that their milk and cream has no hormones, grains, or anti-biotics. You can't feed those things to cows and have them not get in the milk and cream. So, that's important right there. Second, cows don't start producing good levels of Omega-3 fats in their milk and fat tissues unless they are on a grass diet. It's very important to have a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet AND to have a ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acids of close to 1:1, if at all possible. That combination will contribute to reduced risk of heart disease, breast and colorectal cancer, inflammatory and auto-immune diseases, per this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909.

About eggs. If you are eating factory farm eggs, they contain hormones and anti-biotics and the chickens are fed a diet of grain and animal by-products. Those eggs are essentially worthless for you to eat since they are nothing but Omega-6 fatty acids and cholesterol. If you eat free range, organic eggs, on the other hand, they are also high in Omega-3 fatty acids, contain no hormones or anti-biotics and plenty of protein as well. An egg that is produced the way nature intended, by a chicken running around eating grass, seeds and bugs, is one of the most perfect foods you can eat.

So, you see, my breakfast is full of foods that are actually really good because of the high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids, the anti-oxidants in the unsweetened cocoa and coffee, and the amount of calories I'm getting from MCT's that will increase my energy expenditure and help to lower my adipose tissue formation on my upper body.

Read this post from Dave Asprey about why you want to have Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast. He reiterates many of my points: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Honestly, low carb, high fat is ABOUT eating fats that are healthy, not egg whites and veggies.

P.S. Just 3 more posts and this thread will hit 200 posts on it! That's pretty for a thread all about putting oil and butter in your coffee.
  • bjcaster
    bjcaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Day 2 on bulletproof coffee. I just realized I slammed it, it's delicious...
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I must be abnormal. LOL. I had 12 oz of coffee this morning with 2 tbls heavy cream and 2 tbls of coconut oil. 3 hours later, I'm starving. I don't understand what everyone is talking about being able to go until at least lunch. Oh well. I guess I'm not that lucky. :grumble:
    You need to read the recipe, there is no cream in it!
    I see so many people do the same thing then say it does not work, :huh: the cream is what is causing the hunger problem.
    Make it with coffee butter and MCT oil and NOTHING ELSE and you will be fine!!
    :drinker:
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    How do you get it to mix up properly?

To me the coconut oil and butter just float on top like a oil slick.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this Eric. I too have a testimony. Started drinking this the past couple of weeks and love it! I have this for my breakfast and stay full until lunch time. I'm also feeling quite alert at work and don't mind the drudgery of projects.

I think it's helping with my weight loss too. The scale's finally moving for me since I switched my macros to 70F/20P/10C and my morning bulletproof coffee is a big contributor to my daily fat.