5/3/1 Support Thread

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I do not want to derail this thread, it's about 5/3/1, but then again this is basically a conversation about assessory work to go with 5/3/1, another kind of template. I really don't want to change my protocol, since I think the foundations are optimal. I hit everything twice a week, and it has both a strength and hypertrophy component. I also look forward to going to the gym 5 days a week, as a general wellness/lifestyle choice.

Keeping that in mind, I do recognize that as the strength portion is getting heavier, I need to make a change. One thing that I took last night to think about is the way I am structuring my assistance work. After my main lifts, I haven't been staggering my rep ranges regardless of whether or not it's been a heavy day (Days 1,2) or a hypertrophy day (Days 3,4,5). I am always doing 12 reps for the same weight, and I think that could be hindering my recovery.

[some exposition, I tried doing fewer reps and higher weight for assessory work like he programs on Day1, 2 but it was making my body ache.]

Bottom line: I'm thinking about reverting back to doing just 6-8 reps on Day 1 & 2, but using the 12 rep weight instead of going havier, kind of like a weekly deload, leaving the hard work to the main lift sets at the beginning which are my focus. It's esentially cutting the work done on Day 1 & 2 in half, which should leave me much fresher for the next part of the week, and more likely to recover.

Of course I would also continue to do a full deload every 6 weeks like usual, and reset my main lifts if needed.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I do not want to derail this thread, it's about 5/3/1, but then again this is basically a conversation about assessory work to go with 5/3/1, another kind of template. I really don't want to change my protocol, since I think the foundations are optimal. I hit everything twice a week, and it has both a strength and hypertrophy component. I also look forward to going to the gym 5 days a week, as a general wellness/lifestyle choice.

Keeping that in mind, I do recognize that as the strength portion is getting heavier, I need to make a change. One thing that I took last night to think about is the way I am structuring my assistance work. After my main lifts, I haven't been staggering my rep ranges regardless of whether or not it's been a heavy day (Days 1,2) or a hypertrophy day (Days 3,4,5). I am always doing 12 reps for the same weight, and I think that could be hindering my recovery.

[some exposition, I tried doing fewer reps and higher weight for assessory work like he programs on Day1, 2 but it was making my body ache.]

Bottom line: I'm thinking about reverting back to doing just 6-8 reps on Day 1 & 2, but using the 12 rep weight instead of going havier, kind of like a weekly deload, leaving the hard work to the main lift sets at the beginning which are my focus. It's esentially cutting the work done on Day 1 & 2 in half, which should leave me much fresher for the next part of the week, and more likely to recover.

Of course I would also continue to do a full deload every 6 weeks like usual, and reset my main lifts if needed.

ChrisDavey is a very accomplished lifter and very well educated, so you should definitely give some consideration to his opinion. Just in case you didn't understand what Chris's statement meant by "gear", he means steroids and other things. Don't forget that when these higher-end bodybuilders are using routines like this, they're shooting some combination of PED's that may include testosterone, clomid, winstrol, decca, HGH etc, etc, in addition they're probably also injecting insulin as well which can really help speed-up recovery. There's a lot more behind the scenes going on than just the standard program. We don't need to de-rail the thread, so I'll say my last piece on this subject. If you're feeling tired and things are really slowing down for you, then you should keep it simple and just stick to one or the other especially if you're doing a cut. I just re-read part of Lyle McDonald's book on the Rapid Fatloss Handbook and he talks a fair amount about exercise while on a cut or deficit. He basically says to keep the intensity low during this time. If you're concerned about your body composition, exercise plays a small part overall and most of your "cut" will come from your diet.

I'm not saying this stuff to be difficult; I just want to see you succeed in hitting your goals. Sometimes it's not about what we do in the gym, but rather what we don't do in the gym. ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just made 18 reps on my "first set last" today. Bench press 5's week. Was actually going for 20, but pretty satisfied with 18 :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Awesome taso!

Jnick. Little days keep the intensity high but reduce the volume so high percentage of 1rm but fewer sets.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Just made 18 reps on my "first set last" today. Bench press 5's week. Was actually going for 20, but pretty satisfied with 18 :)

Woah, that's a lot of reps sir! I'll have to try straight-up max reps one day. I've been doing the paused reps and I generally can't get very many that way. LOL.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I forgot to post my good workout, LOL. Yesterday was 3/3/3 cycle 3 day for OHP. My training max is already part of my worksets now, so I hope I don't stall out soon but so far it felt really good. Yesterday I worked up to a Joker set of 165lbs and rep'd it twice. 145 is my TM for the heaviest set of 3 and on my way back down I rep'd 145 for 6 but I only repped 135 for 4; I guess I was just exhausted after that. The 5 sets of paused reps were brutal after that, used a 3-count for each rep.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Just made 18 reps on my "first set last" today. Bench press 5's week. Was actually going for 20, but pretty satisfied with 18
    Looks like you may need to recalculate your 1RM. You're getting into cardio territory with that many reps! Heh!
  • JNick77
    Options
    Just made 18 reps on my "first set last" today. Bench press 5's week. Was actually going for 20, but pretty satisfied with 18
    Looks like you may need to recalculate your 1RM. You're getting into cardio territory with that many reps! Heh!

Ha! Taso is a crossfitter... LOL, j/k.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hah. This is just my 2nd cycle after coming back from a long (4 month) hiatus... hence making nice rep records.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

I'm not making jokes about CF anymore as a mate of mine has come from 100% crossfit to PL and in his second comp went:

200kg squat
    140kg bench
    225kg deadlift

at 70kg BW.

Pretty sure he is a freak though :tongue:
  • JNick77
    Options

I'm not making jokes about CF anymore as a mate of mine has come from 100% crossfit to PL and in his second comp went:

200kg squat
    140kg bench
    225kg deadlift

at 70kg BW.

Pretty sure he is a freak though :tongue:

That's nuts! I don't see how somebody can get so strong doing straight CrossFit, the programming just ain't there for it. I didn't even realize that CF folks bench pressed, thought it was all Oly Lifts, Deadlifts, Front Squats...
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    he learnt to bench press at a PL gym but still just trains CF!

Also his 200kg squat is high bar and no wraps. Farkin crazy hey!
  • JNick77
    Options
    he learnt to bench press at a PL gym but still just trains CF!

Also his 200kg squat is high bar and no wraps. Farkin crazy hey!

That is rather crazy; he is definitely the exception to the rule I think.

Today was cycle 3 - 3/3/3 Squat Day

I got like 4-hours of sleep and absolutely did not feel like working out today but I got my *kitten* out of bed and went anyway. Everything kinda' felt like crap but I managed a Joker Set of 345 for 2 reps (+5lbs) so it wasn't a total loss. I think I noticed today that I feel like my quads are weak and kinda mentioned this last week. Today I did 5 sets of 10 on the Leg Press and really pushed the weight, almost couldn't finish the last rep on sets 4 and 5, so I was happy with that. I'm going to do more leg pressing for the next few weeks and see how my squat strength reacts to that. I did leg pressing while using the Cube and my DL and Squat both increased, hopefully that wasn't a false positive. We'll see...
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Alright, so I took the weekend to review my routine, and I think I've hit on something using his BBB Var 2 Template.

Goals: Hit everything twice a week, include more rest (added a rest day), consolidate assessory work into compound movements for efficiency.

Day 1:
    Bench 5/3/1
    Press 5 sets x (Wk1 65%x10) / (Wk2 70%x8) / (Wk3 75%x6)
    Dips
    Lateral Raises
    Incline BB
    Curls

Day 2:
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Squat 5 sets x (Wk1 65%x10) / (Wk2 70%x8) / (Wk3 75%x6)
    Rows
    Lat PD
    Shrugs
    Abs

--Rest--

Day 3:
    Press 5/3/1
    Bench 5 sets x (Wk1 65%x10) / (Wk2 70%x8) / (Wk3 75%x6)
    Dips
    Laterals
    Incline BB
    Curls

--Rest--

Day 4:
    Squat 5/3/1
    Deadlift or SL DL 5 sets x (Wk1 65%x10) / (Wk2 70%x8) / (Wk3 75%x6)
    Rows
    Lat PD
    Shrugs
    Abs

--Rest--

Only thing I haven't figured out is what rep scheme I want to use for assessory work. I'm thinking 8 reps for the first two days, & 12 for Day 3 & 4. This would also cut down on volume from the straight 12 I was doing before..
  • JNick77
    Options
    Alright, so I took the weekend to review my routine, and I think I've hit on something using his BBB Var 2 Template.

Goals: Hit everything twice a week, include more rest (added a rest day), consolidate assessory work into compound movements for efficiency.

Only thing I haven't figured out is what rep scheme I want to use for assessory work. I'm thinking 8 reps for the first two days, & 12 for Day 3 & 4. This would also cut down on volume from the straight 12 I was doing before..

Nice, this all looks much more reasonable. My only real comments would be on your two lower body days, you need some posterior chain work. Cut the lat pulldowns for something like, Good Mornings, Straight-Leg DL's, Romanian DL's, Back Hyperextensions, Glute Bridges, Pull-Through's, DB / KB Raises, Glute Ham Raises (assumiing gym has bench). Work these in the range of 8-10 for sure, 5 sets is Jim's recommendation. Lily, DeFranco, and Simmons basically make the same recommendations. You get plenty of Lat work in with the Rows. Although with that in mind, if you can do chin-ups you can always superset them with Dips on upper body day. Don't forget that you can ADD volume as needed by pyramiding your main exercise's worksets (i.e. 3/3/3+/ 2nd 3+ / 1st 3+). You may not need to do Shrugs twice a week. Between OHP, OHP as BBB, DL'ing, you're hitting your traps pretty good as-is. Add the Shrugs to your DL workout and cut them from your Squat day perhaps.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I realized a bit after that I completely neglected calves... not that I want huge calves lol, but they are important as well. So I'm going to hit them on Day 2 & 4.

That means I need to make room, and since DB Rows and Lat PD are *similar*, I decided to either alternate them, doing DB Rows on Day 2 and Lat PD on Day 4, or just drop them all together. I like the idea of supersetting dips/chins.

Lat Pulldowns are a good exercise though, am I going to grow my upper lats by doing just DB Rows?

Otherwise I'm doing 3 sets of each assessory lift like I always have, so I'm going to be doing 8 reps & 12 reps respectively. (main lifts and their varients are at 10 reps).

As for posterior chain, I noticed that too, and I'm def going to be doing the straight leg deadlifts on Day 4. I've got lower back issues, so this might take some messing around, but I don't want to neglect the hamstrings.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    To clarify, I meant drop Lat PD not Rows.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I realized a bit after that I completely neglected calves... not that I want huge calves lol, but they are important as well. So I'm going to hit them on Day 2 & 4.

That means I need to make room, and since DB Rows and Lat PD are *similar*, I decided to either alternate them, doing DB Rows on Day 2 and Lat PD on Day 4, or just drop them all together. I like the idea of supersetting dips/chins.

Lat Pulldowns are a good exercise though, am I going to grow my upper lats by doing just DB Rows?

Otherwise I'm doing 3 sets of each assessory lift like I always have, so I'm going to be doing 8 reps & 12 reps respectively. (main lifts and their varients are at 10 reps).

As for posterior chain, I noticed that too, and I'm def going to be doing the straight leg deadlifts on Day 4. I've got lower back issues, so this might take some messing around, but I don't want to neglect the hamstrings.

My upper lats seem to be at their best when I consistently do pull-ups / chin-ups and do some rowing. I am getting into the habit of making sure to do that and then once a week I do a "lat-blast" and load my weight on a hammer strength pulldown machine and do sets of 10. Basically, pull > hold for a 2-count, 2-to-3 second eccentric for 10 reps. I've noticed that as I maintain strong lats, my bench is good too. Which of course all the big guys say anyway, so it's not a revolutionary discovery on my part or anything. One thing that I like to do with PD's sometimes is to incorporate drop-sets on my last set just to really exhaust them.

I hear ya' on the lower back pain and I've been dealing with a lot of pain lately. One thing that you can do are walking lunges. Take a long stride and make sure your knee touches the ground. These hit the glutes pretty good actually. They look ridiculous but I'm going to try glute bridges too. Luckily when I workout int he morning there aren't many people around. LOL!!!

Once you get in the habit of doing this you'll get to the point where your accessory work isn't always planned. I do have a log written out for the next cycle but I often go just by how I feel and I may add or subtract something within a session or sometimes it is literally "by the book."
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    So you're proporting alternating? I guess that's the superior option, since both movements are similar. The same group of synergistic muscles will be hit, but with a different target muscle each time. That would effectively hit the same things twice, just differently...

Yeah, I want to keep the workouts simple, and I like knowing exactly what I need to do in the gym, but of course I want a balanced routine too.
  • JNick77
    Options
    So you're proporting alternating?

I don't necessarily alternate between chin's and PD's; if I can only do one I always do chin's and add PD's if time and energy allow. If I feel good after doing chin's I may go do some PD's on the Hammer Strength or cable. I feel like rowing hits the lats and back differently, more rear deltoid and rhomboid activation, so I kind of look at Rows as complete upper back training and chins/PD's as lats. I could be wrong in that view; it's just the feel I get while doing them.