Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love that trail..it's a perfect 4 miles up and back, however, it holds something creepy in the dark, an unspeakable horror that drove my pace a full minute faster than I intended.

LOL! Great run. I guess that's one way to get in a good tempo run.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My water bottle creeps me out at night. It's an eerie foot-step-like sound that is rhythmic and stops when I do. Always behind me. Boo!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    In Minnesota. We have had snow.

Yeah. It's 70 here. Neener, neener.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I am thinking about trying to do a Sprint Triathlon someday, maybe.

Oh, and as for my daily check in, I got in a 5k run last night. I ran easy. Next one I do, I'm using music and upping the speed. I don't thank that I need to be running as easy as I am any more.

YES!!

To both of those things. I just can't get myself to run faster outside. With or without music, it doesn't make a difference for me. My breathing is pretty easy, too.

It might be form, then. Do you have access to a clinic or a coach? There was an article on "the science of running website" that is beginning to make all the difference in the world to me. He talks about the parts of running that are voluntary and involuntary. For instance, the entire motion of the leg from picking up the foot to the apex of the knee movement is involuntary. Trying to raise knee height bleeds force from the movement and wastes energy. You get that good high knee movement when you let your calves fully load - so allowing your body to follow through the full stride is a mechanically easier movement.

That's what I was doing with the cadence runs over the last couple weeks- working on that and remaining stable in my core as I run to a rhythm. Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm one of the slower runners on this board, but your speed work shows you have more capacity.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have someone look over my form again. Today I was running behind this guy who had beautiful form, running at 7:30 pace. Of course, I *thought* I looked like his form, but I was probably way off. What I think I look like and what I actually look like are probably two very different things. I do remember my husband running behind me (one time only) and he said that my form looked really good (to his untrained eye) the faster I got.

I also have an endurance issue when I go faster, but that's not a brilliant statement by any stretch. So that's part of what I need to work on. But I think the main thing is working through whatever is holding me back with speed in general (muscles, mental, technique, etc). I never thought I could run, and I suspect that part of my issue is overcoming that block - "couldn't run at all, so now that I can, I just can't run fast".

I feel even worse about myself: "I'd hire a coach, but nobody is going to care about helping me fulfill my minimal potential." Those days that I can get my muscles to do the work, my lungs crap out on me. I'll get there though :)

However, I'm still seeing a lot of improvement when I make little finicky changes. Leaving my foot on the ground a second longer cuts my pace by a minute.

You probably do run with better form as you get faster - most people do. I've read that one of the challenges of new runners is that our form dissolves so quickly when we tire. That was one thing that I noticed during my half. I'd look down at the ground and then have to mental reset my entire body, otherwise I'd bleed speed and energy.

In summary, and thanks for listening to my rambling, I think we're at the end of our newbie gains and are at the point of becoming serious runners. LOL. :noway:
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Excellent points, Varda especially the bit about form disappearing when tired - I fall apart like a cheap suit when I start to tire!

3mile run tonight. Usually I do mornings but circumstances dictated I switch to this evening (IBS bleurgh). It was brutal .... it felt bad the whole way round although I did manage the hills fine, with hindsight. Time for the 3miles was 34:07 which wasn't too bad but I wouldn't say I found it particularly enjoyable.

Oh well, onto the next one - Monday MORNING! :)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    6 mile long run at 4:00 AM @ 9:48 pace...

I decided to run to a trail and run the trail this morning at a local park....BIG MISTAKE!!!...As soon as I go off the road, I flushed a coyote and several other animals I couldn't identify! I couldn't see the trail. Pulled my headphones out and swore that I was being followed by something along the creek bank...

I popped back onto the road at the next chance and adjusted my route to follow lighted streets on the fly.

I absolutely love that trail..it's a perfect 4 miles up and back, however, it holds something creepy in the dark, an unspeakable horror that drove my pace a full minute faster than I intended.

Great run! I am totally with you on the creepy in the dark thing!

If I want to run outside now, I have to face the dark. There's no getting around it. However, I will be headed for lighted streets after tonight's experience!

My run was supposed to have been on Halloween, but I had to postpone until today. However, it was plenty spooky! I ran 4 miles easy in 48 minutes. That was good! But the usually pleasant wooded road that leads into and out of my neighborhood apparently turns terrifying in the dark. It was light on my way out, barely...but it was deep dark on my way back. With no other sources of light, my headlamp kept me from twisting an ankle, but it also made me unable to see much beyond the pool of light. AND it occurred to me, that while I couldn't see anything more that a few yards ahead of me, it made me visible from a long way off to anything out there in the darkness! As if it weren't already bad enough that it was deserted and pitch dark, an owl was hooting from the woods! So creepy!!! Fittingly my ipod was randomly playing The Killer's "Everything is Going to Be Alright". I swear to you I am not making this up! And I will not run that stretch in the dark again! I am driving into town and running there!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I decided to run to a trail and run the trail this morning at a local park....BIG MISTAKE!!!...As soon as I go off the road, I flushed a coyote and several other animals I couldn't identify! I couldn't see the trail. Pulled my headphones out and swore that I was being followed by something along the creek bank...

I popped back onto the road at the next chance and adjusted my route to follow lighted streets on the fly.

Great run! I am totally with you on the creepy in the dark thing!

If I want to run outside now, I have to face the dark. There's no getting around it. However, I will be headed for lighted streets after tonight's experience!

My run was supposed to have been on Halloween, but I had to postpone until today. However, it was plenty spooky! I ran 4 miles easy in 48 minutes. That was good! But the usually pleasant wooded road that leads into and out of my neighborhood apparently turns terrifying in the dark. It was light on my way out, barely...but it was deep dark on my way back. With no other sources of light, my headlamp kept me from twisting an ankle, but it also made me unable to see much beyond the pool of light. AND it occurred to me, that while I couldn't see anything more that a few yards ahead of me, it made me visible from a long way off to anything out there in the darkness! As if it weren't already bad enough that it was deserted and pitch dark, an owl was hooting from the woods! So creepy!!! Fittingly my ipod was randomly playing The Killer's "Everything is Going to Be Alright". I swear to you I am not making this up! And I will not run that stretch in the dark again! I am driving into town and running there!

Good on you in getting out there even if you don't like the dark!

I never thought too much about who might be watching without me seeing them - odds are no one but it's one of those things that if you keep thinking about it while you're out in the dark your mind goes into overdrive!

I think you're right to drive to somewhere with better street lighting if you feel more comfortable - better that than being put off running.
    I don't mind the dark normally but occasionally if I'm doing the bedtime walk with my dog I start to imagine things. Once was the zip toggle on my jacket just tapping every so lightly but because I had my hood up it sounded more like someone behind me. I kept checking over my shoulder and eventually told the pup to wrap it up we were going home whether she'd done her business or not - all because I let my imagination build images of men in hockey masks hiding behind trees. Of course, the next morning it was still raining so hood up and I heard the same thing again, worked out what it was and felt really stooopid lol
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I am determined not to let winter rain on my parade. HM training must proceed in earnest. Snow is in our forecast for tonight and tomorrow, but I just had a comforting thought...The parking garage in town. Perfect! It's covered, lit, and is made for hill repeats! :-) I know what I'll be doing when the snow and ice come. Did I mention how much I detest the treadmill, I will avoid it any way I can. I have yak-trax (ice cleat thingys). I also have been thinking about cross-country skis...Anyone experienced training through the snowy winter? I'm not a year old yet, each running season brings new challenges (and rewards)!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Hahaha this is flipping funny - actually all everyone's night stories are awesome!!!! I often look over my shoulder because I swear people are there sneaking up on me too, dark is terrifying especially with headphones!!!

I originally did C25K last summer (repeated it this year & kept going this time) and intentionally ran early in the morning so nobody would see me. I was worried I looked like a moron, plus was convinced that people would see me and think "she's too big to run." The day I ran past a yard full of high school boys playing football and didn't care was the first time I felt like a real runner.

What a great moment.

I also look like a bedraggled cat. And I get so sweaty that I have slipped right off the toilet seat twice after my runs. Not that you all need that visual. But my husband thought it was funny and wanted to install a grab-bar for me. That's when I knew I loved the Apple earbuds. I was sweaty enough to slide around, but they stayed in my ears for the whole run.

Lolol that's hilarious too!!! What great visuals ;) these stories rock everyone!!! We are becoming full on runners...

Today I did my 3rd 5k in basically a month and got another pb -35.27 and every mile was under 12 minutes!!!! I was very proud even had to stop and double tie my shoe lace, never happened before - and I got to run with the mayor of our town, that was fun ;) a little American legion Veterans Day basket fund raising run... There are always about 6 races or more going on any given weekend, I love the south!!!! Happy on the slick road my shoes stayed put, I was very worried since they get very slick and after my fall last week I pretty much prayed the whole time not to slip! The cops even shut down part of the highway for us to run, that was way cool, and they were all taking photos of us at the check points - I kept telling them I wasn't speeding lol.

Great day to be alive and to be a runner!!!! I read something in a magazine the other day that says cherish every run because we physically "can" get out there and do this when there are so many people who can't... It's very true.

Oh and thanks for the Gatorade idea, never even thought about it - I'll pick some up! I actually dry heaved at the finish line of my race today... ;(
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ran a little over 2 miles last night. Also did some strength training, stretching, and brisk walking. Really happy about the knee. It's definitely improving. In two weeks, I'll have my first free weekend in a while and time to get a long run in. Until them it's going to have to be 2 and 3 miles, but I'm going to try to increase their frequency.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Varda, I am jealous of your 70 degrees now, but this summer it was much nicer running weather up here in Minnesota. :)

Beth, I chew gum while I run. Want to say I got the idea from Varda. It eliminates the cotton mouth.

Kathleen, I'm laughing at you sliding off the toilet! That's amazing. I also like the Apple headphones - they're the only ear bud style ones that will actually stay in my ears.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Ran a little over 2 miles last night. Also did some strength training, stretching, and brisk walking. Really happy about the knee. It's definitely improving. In two weeks, I'll have my first free weekend in a while and time to get a long run in. Until them it's going to have to be 2 and 3 miles, but I'm going to try to increase their frequency.

So glad your knee is getting better! I can tell you're anxious to bump up your running again, but be smart about it so you don't re-injure.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Varda, I am jealous of your 70 degrees now, but this summer it was much nicer running weather up here in Minnesota. :)

Beth, I chew gum while I run. Want to say I got the idea from Varda. It eliminates the cotton mouth.

Kathleen, I'm laughing at you sliding off the toilet! That's amazing. I also like the Apple headphones - they're the only ear bud style ones that will actually stay in my ears.

In the summer AM, it's awesome.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

About 60 degrees is the max of what I want to run in...
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    It was 45 degrees this morning when I rode the bicycle, that's about as cold as I want to be on the bike. I could probably stand a little colder running, we'll see.

Put almost 35 miles on the bike since yesterday, will try for a run tomorrow depending on how my knee feels.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I haven't run since Tuesday. Going through withdrawal!! Can't wait for my long run tomorrow morning. Should be cold out - perfect running weather!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It was 45 degrees this morning when I rode the bicycle, that's about as cold as I want to be on the bike. I could probably stand a little colder running, we'll see.

Put almost 35 miles on the bike since yesterday, will try for a run tomorrow depending on how my knee feels.

You get a lot more of a breeze on the bike than you do during a run so I imagine it feels better a little warmer. Nice ride the past couple days!
  • likitisplit
    Options

About 60 degrees is the max of what I want to run in...

Exactly :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've had to take a few days off of running. I started limping a couple of days ago. The pain was between the toe joint and the arch of my right foo, along the inside. It hurts when I bend my foot at the toes to walk. It's just about gone now (no pain; just feels a tad stiff when I walk) and I'm going to go for a run tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love all the "running in the dark" stories. Makes me feel like I'm not the only weird one.

Varda, I think you are right about us at the end of our newbie gains. I wish it weren't so. I haven't gotten fast enough yet...I don't want to take seconds off my mile pace, I want to take minutes off!!

Beth - I love the parking garage idea for hill repeats!

Anyway, it's good to read how everyone is doing. I'm in a bit of a funk (I think due to sugar and my work schedule), so I need to hang out here to get inspired so that I get back on track this next week.