Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Finished hell week, looking forward to something other than 3 miles tomorrow ;) I feel the need for beer and cigars tonight which I am currently doing and a loooong run tomorrow am! ;) I contemplated a pleasantly tipsy night run but then thought better of hurling up my shrimp quesadillas ;)

That sounds like it is for the best.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Finished my first 7 mile run! Usually I don't watch my pace but did check it periodically this time to make sure I was going slower than last Saturday's run. Was aiming for about a 13 minute mile.

Duration 92 minutes
    Avg. Speed 13:04

I usually run in the morning but we had some arctic air move in overnight so I waited until afternoon. When the temp hit 12F (feels like temp of 2) I knew that was as good as it was getting, so I headed out. My layers were great and when I wasn't running directly into the wind I was very comfortable. A friend of mine told me to put Vaseline on any areas of my face that weren't covered to protect from wind burn, and I'm really glad I did that.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Finished first 8 mile long run today @ 9:31mile/min...

felt great during the run, but afterwards felt weirdish, and couldn't understand why...i didn't eat supper last night and only had about 600 calories before the run...anyways i found out today that 8 miles was my limit if i am low on food for the day
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Finished first 8 mile long run today @ 9:31mile/min...

felt great during the run, but afterwards felt weirdish, and couldn't understand why...i didn't eat supper last night and only had about 600 calories before the run...anyways i found out today that 8 miles was my limit if i am low on food for the day

I felt weirdish after my first 8 mile run last week too. I think I might be getting into GU territory. Time to figure out race gels. I have heard that after 1 hour you need a little something, but I have been trying to not use anything other than a little water until I absolutely have to...Apparently 1 hour and 15 minutes is about when I need a boost.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Finished my first 7 mile run! Usually I don't watch my pace but did check it periodically this time to make sure I was going slower than last Saturday's run. Was aiming for about a 13 minute mile.

Duration 92 minutes

I usually run in the morning but we had some arctic air move in overnight so I waited until afternoon. When the temp hit 12F (feels like temp of 2) I knew that was as good as it was getting, so I headed out. My layers were great and when I wasn't running directly into the wind I was very comfortable. A friend of mine told me to put Vaseline on any areas of my face that weren't covered to protect from wind burn, and I'm really glad I did that.

You are awesome-sauce (as one of our favorite friends puts it)! A total rockstar! Congratulations on overcoming the extreme cold and hitting a new milestone!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Tim and Varda- So do you run out, then break for the coffee and danish, then run back?
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Finished hell week, looking forward to something other than 3 miles tomorrow ;) I feel the need for beer and cigars tonight which I am currently doing and a loooong run tomorrow am! ;) I contemplated a pleasantly tipsy night run but then thought better of hurling up my shrimp quesadillas ;)

Beer...YES! Cigars...ew, No. LOL!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    No run or ride for me yesterday, it was dark by the time I got off work. Today it's raining, tomorrow I need to take it easy because I have a 10k on Saturday. Sure was hoping to get in one more run or ride before Saturday!

:grumble:

Hoping your 10K was a success, Ceci! :smile:
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Parkrun yesterday. That place is still the hilliest hill ever to have hilled... The 5k is 2.5x around the park and I only made is one circuit without needing a walking break. Then several others. Apparently I took 1 second off my time and finished in the bottom 10% again! But I got out and did it and gave it my all at the end. Walk/ran there and back plus quite a lot of necessary life walking yesterday made for quite achy legs today. My goal for the run is first to make it all the way round without walking (not a 5k problem anywhere else I run) and to never be any slower than my first week (31.45)

They are all so nice, but all so fast!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Tim and Varda- So do you run out, then break for the coffee and danish, then run back?

That's our plan. We haven't actually done it yet - just mapped it out and estimated distance on Google Maps.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Did 6 miles yesterday. It was very windy! The actual temp was 22, but 8 with the wind chill. I was fine on the side of the lake with no wind, but in the wind it was brutal. My layers on top were fine, but not enough on the bottom. I had on my running capris with my running tights on top and it wasn't enough. my thigh were bright pink when I got home. Otherwise the run was good. My legs started getting tired at 5.5 miles, but I've run 6.2 miles twice before so I knew I could do it. Once I reminded myself of that and put it behind me I was fine. Time to go shopping for some cold weather running tights.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    This morning I did a 6.2 trail run just down the road at Buford Dam. It was 30°F out and a bit windy but the sun was out. The trail was covered with leaves in most places making it dangerous. I couldn't see the tree roots and rocks. Nearly rolled my ankles many times but fortunately didn't hurt anything. I was aiming for 8 miles but cut it short. I don't want to risk an injury so close to a race. I wore the same clothes I plan to wear to the Thanksgiving half marathon just to make sure I'm warm enough. Race morning should be 28°F.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great!

Congratulations on the new PB Laura and Joe and Dip, I'd be ever so happy with a 31min 5k!

I feel like I've hardly ran at all recently but I've wangled a half day off tomorrow so I'm going to go out and run for 1.5hrs and see how far I can get. Normally, since finishing C25K, I've been running specific distances and managed 7miles in 1hr18 what seems like a lifetime ago (couple of weeks in reality) so considering I've been a slacker I'll be happy to do 7miles again in the 1.5hrs.

Hospital on Wednesday so I'll look like a B movie pirate for a few days so tomorrow will probably be my only run this week but the good news is I'm back to normal with days off etc from the week after so I'm going to get back on track before I turn into a sloth!
  • solardippo
    Options
    Good luck with your hour and a half tomorrow Yamsteroo - longer than I have ever gone, and good luck on wednesday.

I went out as the light was failing this afternoon to get a wee 2 miles in just because I had done NOTHING all day. Tried to keep my pace down, which I find quite difficult, and my heart rate with it and ended up going for an hour. Dodgy phone GPS says 9k, but it is a very wobbly zigzaggy route it has recorded so maybe closer to 8. Probably the slowest run I have done in months in terms of pace but at least it was deliberate. Felt quite good though I think I looked like a madwoman practically circling the shop I needed to go to for the last 10 minutes of the run because the shop is surrounded by hills I wanted nothing to do with today!

I am glad people are mostly managing to keep warm. I can't tell if I have just acclimatised a little or it is just that it has been mainly dry for the last wee while. It makes such a difference.

Good luck to those of you doing Thanksgiving races.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Today I did something awesome! 7 miles in 1.24 hrs, and only one minute of walking at mile 5 to reset my feet which we're getting a bit numb. I had a hat, gloves, the open road the wind and an amazing reality that I am a runner, with the quickest mile being mile 7 at 11.33. I started running 4 months ago Tuesday - and I'm at 55 miles for the month. I'm so very proud of myself. Thanks for the encouragement in here, I love this place!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Today I did something awesome! 7 miles in 1.24 hrs, and only one minute of walking at mile 5 to reset my feet which we're getting a bit numb. I had a hat, gloves, the open road the wind and an amazing reality that I am a runner, with the quickest mile being mile 7 at 11.33. I started running 4 months ago Tuesday - and I'm at 55 miles for the month. I'm so very proud of myself. Thanks for the encouragement in here, I love this place!

That is awesome!! Way to go!
  • likitisplit
    Options

That is so great. I'm proud of you.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Duration 92 minutes

Somebody is going to do a pace group someday.
  • solardippo
    Options

YES! Awesome is the word.

Lots of 1.5 hour runs going about here. I want to be one of you and I will be!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Did 6 miles yesterday. It was very windy! The actual temp was 22, but 8 with the wind chill. I was fine on the side of the lake with no wind, but in the wind it was brutal. My layers on top were fine, but not enough on the bottom. I had on my running capris with my running tights on top and it wasn't enough. my thigh were bright pink when I got home. Otherwise the run was good. My legs started getting tired at 5.5 miles, but I've run 6.2 miles twice before so I knew I could do it. Once I reminded myself of that and put it behind me I was fine. Time to go shopping for some cold weather running tights.

I wore some thicker tights as my bottom layer, with lighter tights on top of that, and then my cotton shorts with pockets (which hit just above the knee) as my top layer and that worked great for lower layer. Temps were comparable to your run (12 with 2 wind chill) and my legs were very comfortable.