Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hello, dropping in here for the first time, I am in stage 2 using the 4 Life edition. My goals: I am hovering around my goal weight and want to convert some fat to muscle. I want to be strong and have a shape not be skinny (not that is really a risk for me). I am lifting about twice a week with some HIIT 2 days a week and then walks here and there. One area where I have real weakness is in the push category so I am looking for ways to improve there. Also grip strength is an issue too, so looking for ways to improve there. Next work out I'll post my weights and exercises. Holding a plank for a minute front and sides for 2 reps per workout. dead lifting about 65#. I love the pulley machine for some of the moves.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Jo, I think Hypertrophy will help you get out of that slump. The constantly changing reps made it a little more interesting. Are you doing the things that will help you reach your goals of increasing strength? Eating enough, getting enough rest, not allowing stress to get to you, etc? Those things can have a major impact on your mental outlook and performance in the gym. I'm learning that my strength goals are greatly affected by the things that I do when I'm not in the gym. I'm sure you already know that, but sometimes we need a reminder:)

Sue, you're amazing!

Rocky, welcome!!!

Beeps, you are gorgeous!!!

Wearing my first pair of skinny jeans today with a long sweater. 18 months ago I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be comfortable in sz 8 skinny jeans. they're cute as long as my butt is covered by a long top, lol.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    (TMI) Who needs juice cleanses when there's Burger King in the world? My bidy no longer processes garbagy fast food.

There y'all go, blowing up the thread again lol. Look at all the new ladies on the board. Woo hoo! So glad you've come to join, and I hope you will stay. Jo, I stink when I don't have goals either. Right now I'm just maintaining weight and strength. Nothing to write home about. Rocky I loathe Stage 3/5 which I'm in right now.
    Here are my stats for my first S3WOB1:
    BB Romanian DL/ BOR: 3x6@65
    Single leg partial squat: 3x6@10
    WG Lat Pull down 3x6@85
    Back Extension: 3x6@10
    YTWL: 3x6@5dbs (this is a lot harder than it seems)
    Great stats thrown up by the other ladies.

Cowgirl interesting that you mention being both poor and chubby growing up. I see this a lot with homeless students actually. There's an old saying that calories are cheap but nutrition is expensive. The lower quality foods that are more inexpensively bought will fill the hunger but not necessarily the nutritional needs of children. We see children all the time who may be over-weight, but drastically vitamin deficient. You see it in the pallor of their skin, their teeth are damaged and their hair tends to fall out. It's a lot more common than one would think.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes - I think stronglifts is a program that focuses on getting stronger in the "big lifts"....maybe suelegal can weigh in on that?!?!?

I find that my goals change, over time. I started off by wanting to "get strong". Then, I kind of wanted to "look slim". Now, I want kind of both of those things, knowing that, for me, what I "look" like is more important than how heavy I can lift! Alas, next year, it might be just the opposite!

hi rocky - let's see if you stick around this chat thread....then I can likely tackle some of the questions in your post, lol! (I'm exhausted by all the 'drive by's" here at mfp....)

chubby - I remember being in a "jeans challenge" a season ago - didn't go well for me. So, it is NICE to read that you are in skinny jeans, a size 8 no less, and that you are ROCKING them! Nicely done!

It's sad to read that food which is cheap may not have any nutritional value. Sheesh, samntha, that is just SO SAD!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Beeps I'm lifting 3 days in a row because I KNOW I won't when I am in Maine for the long holiday weekend. My sister has labs, we will do LOTS of walking, but the only lifting I'll get in is lifting the fork. So I'm trying to be proactive. We'll see how motivated I am tomorrow morning!

I have to re-evaluate my goals too. I am definitely wanting to change my shape AND get rid of this jiggly stuff I have all over me. Truthfully though, my goal is consistency because in the big picture of my life, consistency has been my biggest fail. So I might slip on the food often, and I haven't lost any weight in I don't know how long but I am consistent with the workouts and that makes me very happy. My most immediate goal is to squat my bodyweight. It's a long way off. My other goal is to bench 100 and my third goal is to do pullups unassisted.

Hey Rocky, welcome! Enjoy the program!

Cowgirl I am envious! Size 8 skinny jeans! Awesome! I salute your consistency! You've really made incredible progress!

Sam I knew that, and it's actually pretty frightening, because the long term detriment of poor nutrition is tragic - those kids have 3 strikes against them before they even get out of the box.

I'm pretty tired. I think I'll head to bed early tonight. G'nite friends!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sam, that's exactly it. For many people, that is all they can afford. White bread, cheap peanut butter, bologna, and ramen noodles go a long way for very little money. Of course these things are fine in moderation, but eating it day in and out...
    We also see patients who are poor, obese, but severely malnourished. The doctor I work with says its one of the hardest concepts for his patients to understand- that they may be overweight, but they aren't actually nourishing their bodies with the nutrients it needs.

Beeps & Sue, thanks. You're right about goals. I tend to change them depending upon my mood. Some days I feel so fat, I think,"I just need to get rid of this weight!". Other days,"Who cares if I get any thinner? I want to be strong-RAWR!!!"
    I need to decide on my plan and stick to it.
    Maybe we can all hold each accountable over the winter to stay the course and not be distracted from our goals. My goals are to maintain weight (if I lose that'd be good too!) and build strength through the Strength program of Supercharged. That should last me until Feb or so. Then it's back to cutting and getting more fat off for the summer- probably doing Strong Curves.
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cowgirl - Congrats on the Jeans! There is no better feeling that fitting into this skinny jeans.

Beeps - You look awesome. I am totally jealous.

No lifting for me today. I have done something to my knee (I have cartilage issues that make them painful on a regular basis, but this is different). It might be from the sudden change to heavier lifting so I will take a second day off today, not run, maybe hit the elliptical or bike after work and see how I feel tomorrow.

I agree with you all about having goals. And not just a long term goal, but I find it nice to have smaller goals that I can achieve… either monthly, quarterly, whatever. It is always so motivational to hit a goal. Makes me realize that the time and effort I put into it is worth it and actually doing something… even when I feel like it isn't sometimes.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    It's terrible that the "non" food is cheaper than the nutritious coins. I can get really worked up on this topic but if anyone is interested in this topic there have been a few good books lately one is salt sugar fat .

Beeps you look amazing- I like your necklace

Sue you are very dedicated

Lawlorka welcome and nice to see your numbers- good job

I finished stage 3-- I think I should have been more aggressively increasing because I didn't feel like I worked hard until this week
    One arm db snatch 10 to 22.5
    Db single leg rom dl 5 to15
    Bb bor 20 to 60
    Db single arm oh squat 5/10 to 12/25
    Db incline Bp 20 to 40 total
    Rev wood chop 5 to 20

Roman dl bor 40 to 80 total
    Partial single leg squat bw to 20 total
    Wide grip lat pull down 75-90
    Ytwls 10 to 15 total

So I am also thinking about goals Long term I'd like to improve all the big lifts . I would like to see my waist get smaller but it seems unrealistic. I would like to do a triathlon next summer but I still can't bikefor long periods without pain.
    I would like to not have glut pain but that also seems unrealistic

I will take some days off from lifting and start stage four on Friday or sat
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Jo, I think Hypertrophy will help you get out of that slump. The constantly changing reps made it a little more interesting. Are you doing the things that will help you reach your goals of increasing strength? Eating enough, getting enough rest, not allowing stress to get to you, etc? Those things can have a major impact on your mental outlook and performance in the gym. I'm learning that my strength goals are greatly affected by the things that I do when I'm not in the gym. I'm sure you already know that, but sometimes we need a reminder:)

Congrats on the skinny jeans!

In answer to your questions, no, no and no. LOL. But I will. 2 more days and exams are over. BRING IT ON.

On the plus side, I did lift today. Then went swimming. Anything to avoid revision really.
  • rildev03
    rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Rest week over, time to move on to Stage 2 of new rules. Looking forward to the change!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Glad I went for the whole TRX Suspension Training, Core Training and Zumba classes! I had missed my cardio!!! Today will be Day 11 of my NROL4W
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    So here's a question--what happens when we finish all 7 stages? Assuming I get through it (which is my goal), then what? Start again? Different program? I'd hate to see what gains I make disappear and even though I know this is months away (did S1A3 yesterday) I do wonder how I can best keep them.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    SLEEPJEN - you can totally repeat NROL4W if you want to - it took me 6 months to get through it.....or, you can switch to a different program (which I did - I get SO bored, SO fast that I need "novelty" of programs to keep me interested). After NROL4W I did NROL4Abs and then I did NROL4Life. I bought supercharged, but read it and tossed it aside - too much work to get the "D-I-Y" stuff (for me).

chubby - I'll totally keep you accountable!! ;)

Because I am going to spend 2014 working on "building habits", which really is another way of saying "building streaks" of my inputs, not sure if I have any "goals", beyond losing 1 lb of bodyfat per month. You can hold me accountable to THAT!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    SleepyJen, a lot of us here are actually done with NROL4W and moved onto different things but we all stay here and talk and keep each accountable and just generally enjoy each other's company! I spent a whole month trying to figure out what to do next before I finally decided.

Beeps, Wendler's 5/3/1 sort of is DIY, in that I get to choose which accessory lifts I do. I generally stick with a cycle of 3 favs per body part. My big lifts stay the same - Workout #1 OHP, #2 DL, #3 Bench #4 Squat. For lower body days, accessories are 5x10-20 each hams, quads and abs - I do them in circuits and I throw in back extensions on the days I do crunches (but not planks). For upper body days accessory lifts are 5x10-20 shoulder or chest, upper back or lats, and triceps. I've been occasionally adding biceps (21s usually) with triceps and again, I do these as circuits. I like it that way and I get more out of the lifts when I push myself like that. It's kinda the best of DIY and set program.

So last night I went to sleep too early, woke up at 1:30 and couldn't fall asleep right away. I knew if I didn't turn off the alarm and allow myself to sleep later I'd be miserable all day today so nope, I didn't get 3 days in a row. I might have to DL my sisters dogs for a workout while I'm there :laugh:

Jo, we are creatures of habit! The more stress I have in my life, the more I opt for what I used to do. Unfortunately that often means bad food choices too but at least I am getting off my butt and moving - and so are you! You should honor that! When classes finish, make new habits!

I have no idea what will happen later today or early tomorrow so I want to take this opportunity to say Happy Thanksgiving to each of you! I'm grateful for MFP and especially for this group. You all have become my lifesaver and anchor when I've wanted to give up or slack off. Thanks!! :heart:
  • RedBess
    RedBess Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    So, no lifting and not running led to me going a bit rogue with my food. Nothing too bad, but definitely not as structured as I have been. I can only blame pre-TOM cravings. Planning for a better day tomorrow. Will lift in the morning, hope my knee is better and get back to the gym after work for some quality time on the elliptical.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Is anyone familiar with the venus weight lifting program? I saw some pics of a gal following that which were awesome. Plan to kick it Thanksgiving morning with HIIT and a WL session, then cooking, eating and being merry the rest of the day.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    um, yes, rocky, I'm a Venus!!

...bet I know the gal you're talking about!!

Got my lifting in-and-done, today.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    In fact, this was on the Venus forum, this morning....I am not the poster, but felt that this might be of use to those of us who *know* we stress-eat!

"In my years of dieting... I've learned a lot of things that are true... and some things that I was told are true... and ended up so wrong... Because no everyone has the same body... Whatever works for you ... maybe necessarily not work at all for someone else.

Here's a few things I have learned that I hope could help you and everyone else when it comes to stress tempting you to eat.

1) The Apple Test: You "feel" like your hungry or you have to eat.... If you can eat an Apple, some yogurt, a banana (something healthy and just one indgredient..... Then that proves you're hungry. But if you can't eat a single ingredient food/ or healthy food option, then it's stress talking to you.

2) Instead of turning to food when your stressed..... drink water or a non calorie beverage. (I'm sure you all have heard this before)

3) Reasons why stress makes us turn to food:

*FLAB* : *Frustrated* *Loneliness* *Angry* *Bored*

Again, I'm sure you all have heard a lot of this before. But just having the reminder helps me. I know when it's stress and not actual hunger... I try to find something else to do... away from the kitchen or where temptation is.

Good Luck tomorrow & Happy Thanksgiving!"
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Doing my first AMRAP for Workout A on Stage 1, and Wokout B AMRAP on Friday. Then rest week! Stage 2 starts on 12/09/13, and I am so excited!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Starting my research so I am comfortable moving to Stage 2. I have a Question for One-point Row. Do you do 10 reps for each leg totaling 20 per set? Or do you do 5 on one leg, and 5 on the other totaling 10 reps per set?