2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I started to do the math, which is problematic, I know! BUT it was really discouraging.
    The thing is, I would like to lose 10 pounds in 4 weeks, which, at 1200 per day is only a 350 calorie deficit. If it's true that to lose a pound of fat you need a 3500 deficit that takes 10 days, consistent days, to lose ONE pound. So, about 100 days to lose 10 pounds.
    I am not usually like this, but I measured my waist and I am up 2 inches. The scale is the highest it's ever been. My clothes fit, mostly, but that's because my waist is pretty high so nothing has to go around it, and my weight isn't really in my thighs or butt.
    So, I don't know whether to even try my extreme beach challenge, I think I will just be dissappointed with the results.
    On the other hand, if it was mostly water weight, I could probably lose a couple of pounds that way, a couple pounds of fat, and maybe see a modest improvement, and then undo it all with a week in Costa Rica!
    Any thoughts or experience from the fellow NTHGs?

I just read about blogaloties in Fitness mag, sounds interesting-I guess it is a mix of exercises, they wear weighted gloves for kick boxing, then incorporate pilates and dance, I think...
  • suecaldwell2003
    suecaldwell2003 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Beeps, You aren't the "old broad" as long as I'm in my 60s. :smile:
  • jemmadc
    jemmadc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ Risontherun Blogilates is an awesome fitness blog I LOVE! Here is her beginner's calendar. The workouts kick my butt! And they're relatively short but challenging.

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2013/06/03/beginners-calendar-for-popsters-just-starting-out/
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals! So much to catch up on.

@Better - I keep looking at the calendar and thinking... if I get pregnant now, then my kid won't have a Christmas bday! haha. My sister and I were both summer babies, and aside from not being able to celebrate with my class with cupcakes like the other kids with school year birthdays, I LOVED having a summer birthday. Swimming parties are the best. But, I also realize that I just can't plan something like that - so on I go.

@Abi - So sorry to hear about your wrist! Here's to hoping it heals quickly.

@Amy - "bikini bridge" GROSS! I saw something about it on Twitter, and now that you've explained it I'm grossed out. What the H is wrong with people? Thigh gaps were bad enough. Super impressed with your booze free weekend, wish I could say the same for myself. Also, don't get discouraged after looking at the math. Remember any change is progress!

@Beeps - poor kiddo. Also, cleanses really are for the birds. I have never been able to bring myself to try one, and after hearing what you're going through, I think I'll skip them for sure.

@Mindmelter - I am just starting stage 2 of NROL - I really like it!

@Shander - I am going to try and start going to workout early morning too. I just can't fathom waiting around for a squat rack for 15 minutes - such a time waster. Great job getting up early!

That's all about all I can see/remember. I did NOT eat well over the weekend, but had pretty much already planned for that. Was supposed to weigh myself yesterday (start of Weight Watchers for me) but I forgot, so I'll have to weigh in tomorrow, and I am not looking forward to it. I'm giving myself one month of being consistent on WW to see if I can make any progress. I am also logging both in MFP and WW to see what the calorie count/macros are of my points just out of curiosity. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep up logging on both sites, but it will be interesting to see anyway. That's about all I got for now!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I looked at blogilates, I was confusing it with piloxing! piloxing is a DVD with 50-minute cardio rounds mix of boxing, dancing and pilates. $80 includes the weighted gloves:tongue:
    I might be trying it!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi all, sorry I messed up and disappeared. I had a good few days of intermittent fasting then I went to Jamaica with my son and soon to be ex husband. Decided to go back on gluten for he first time in years to enjoy more of the local food so I'm sure I gained a ton since gluten usually gives me an extra 5-10lbs. Tomorrow I'm back on it and will endeavor toe at right and exercise.

Shander- nice to see you and kudos on the early am workouts. Maybe one day!

Tmr88 - great goals!

Beeps - yeah that cleanse is probably a waste of time. Better off doing a fast since I think the benefit is resetting your hunger signals

Amy - nice to see you again and still going strong (and less drinking lol)! I don't know what the beach challenge is but I think resistance training + clean diet will give you a visual effect that goes beyond the scale. Go for some sort of new training to really challenge yourself!

Ris- you are right to not stress about going over. The first step is logging it anyway!

Janiete- great goals, ambitious too!

Ashley- long time no see! You are doing great! I can totally identify with prioritizing your little one- my life seems to revolve around my little guy and I have a hard time shirking him for something else, especially since he's likely my one and only!

Abi - hope you continue to recover

Kclynch - glad to see you are doing some fasting too. Fasted training is amazing though! Used to do it with insanity. Haven't tried T25 yet though I'd love to!

Jemmadc- I like your slow and easy philosophy

Ramalem - wow double logging I can't even do single lol! Be interested to see how it goes

My goals are to get the poison I put in my system out and never do it again. I'm itchy and bloated and feel generally crappy from my gluten binge and I think I'm downright allergic to wheat. So I will focus on meats and veggies, fast for 12-14 hours, and aim for working out 3x a week.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    koo-koo cleanse brought my waist back to 26.5"....so, I'll accept that as a "win", discontinue the process, and just keep on keeping on with my "NO EXCUSES" challenge!

I aim to push my waist down to 26.0"....which will be as low (or lower) as it's ever been that I can remember! Likely another 5 lbs lower than right now. This is my "test" phase - not only do I have to get 5 lbs lower, I have to STAY 5 lbs lower. NO BOUNCING!

Amy - I have a calculator that I use and it says that if I want to lose 10 lbs, at a "normal" rate, it will take me into July, 2014....that's why I've been "tempering my enthusiasm" with any possibility of FAST bodyfat loss. Once you get to a "lean" state, there just isn't any FAST maneuvering, it's all SLOW-AND-STEADY.

:(
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So far this week has been pretty good. I had a lunch meeting and wasn't able to resist the cookies, but I've pre-logged my day and I think I should be able to stick with it. If I can get myself to do at least a short workout after the baby goes to bed tonight I'll consider today a "win." After today I'm off of work for 5 days, so I'm going to kick up the exercise.

Beeps--Glad you got some results from your cleanse at least!

cutmd--gluten allergies are no fun; my husband has one. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Amy--don't get discouraged with how long it takes to lose 10 pounds! Even a small fat loss will make a difference. Just google "what does a pounds of fat" look like for some motivation.

Megan--double logging is definitely impressive!

jemma--that blog looks interesting! It looks like there are some good workout routines on there. I'll need to give some of them a shot!

That's all I can see/remember, hope the rest of you are having a great week!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    This is just for fun....I waited until 2014 to "invest" in some new clothes (at my smaller size....), but I'm still too lazy to shop! So, below are the 3 x dresses that my EA chose for me:

dresses_zps17ff0c7e.jpg

Dress #1 (the top one) is a summer cotton, but the peplum on only one side is pretty cute.

Dress #2 (middle) is a very heavy winter tweed ~ this one was my husband's favourite! I do like the racer-front....gives it some modern appeal, and I can wear a blazer over it for daytime and then whip off the blazer for evening!

Dress #3 (bottom) is a beautiful jersey fabric ~ I desperately wanted SOME colour to get through this Canadian winter! In real life, it is bright fuchsia, violet, black and white.

Oh....and all 3 of these, including shipping, cost me $80.

LIKE!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    This week has been pretty great! I've gone out a couple times, but have stayed pretty healthy! I went to a bar with friends on Tuesday and refrained from buying anything to drink, HUGE win for me! Last night the fiance and I went to a venue to check it out (so pretty!) and if we choose that one our wedding will be April 11, 2015!! After that we went to dinner with friends, I had one glass of wine that I fit in to my calories and chose a side salad instead of fries for my falafal sandwich. Tonight will be out the window though! Tonight is wine night, my monthly kryptonite! Then this weekend is my sister's bachelorette party! It will be pretty low key, wine tasting with apps at my house (with a lingerie party for her of course) and then dinner out and dancing at a local place we like to go to. I'll just have to watch how much I drink! In preparation for tonight I went to the gym again this morning making it 3x! Right on with my goals :)

Beeps - I loooove those dresses!! You look fabulous.. and this might be weird, but I'm SO jealous of that bathtub, hahaha! I'm glad that cleanse did "something" but it doesn't sound worth it to feel terrible!

Ris - It sounds like you're getting on track!! It must be so different with a baby now!! Enjoy the desserts every now and then :) I crave things even more if I think I can't eat them!! And my fiance and I are looking at either fall or spring, and if we choose the place we looked at yesterday it will be 4/11/15 :)

Cutmd - Jamaica sounds awesome! Jealous :) Sorry about the gluten allergy flare up :/ I hope you feel better soon. Your goals look awesome

Amy - Blogilates is pretty good! I don't usually get sore, but with her routines I can really feel it! She's a bit too peppy for me sometimes, but I just turn the volume off :) Great job on the weekend of no drinking too! I don't think I've done that since I turned 21!!

Ashley - Whenever my niece comes over I drop everything I'm doing for snuggles too :) I can't imagine what I'll do when I have one of my own!!

Kc - Glad things are going ok! I'm not good at doing cardio dvd's either, glad you found one that works for you!

Jemma - Sounds like you get a bunch of exercise on a day to day basis! That's awesome :) Blogilates is pretty awesome, have you been doing her meal plan too?

Abi - I hope your wrist is feeling better!! I'm glad you can still do cardio!!

Ram - Have you started going in the morning yet?? I'm loving having the space to work out and having my afternoons free!! And awesome for double logging! I'm trying to get back into regular logging!!

That's all I can see/remember!! I hope everyone has a great day!! :)
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. The board is moving fast these days! So a shout out to everyone. Looks like everyone is doing well! Great job ladies!

I've been doing pretty well this week. I need to stay away from the wine and chocolate at night. I'm not drinking a lot, just more frequently than I should be. 2 glasses of wine and Hershey kisses adds up quickly! But I have gotten 3 or my 5 planned workouts in so far already so I am golden. A run on Saturday and lifting on Sunday will finish it off. The scale did not move today. I had thought I was down 0.5 pound, but it stayed the same. Oh well.

I had my first yoga-pilates-strength class Tuesday and it was the first time I'd been down to the office gym since December and we have tons of new euqipment! A coupld sets of dumbells, a side to side slidey thing, and a rowing machine in addition to 2 spinning bikes and some cheap barbell sets we already had. So I am going to try to get one lifting session done during lunch on Thursday from now on. Although I didn't remember my clothes till I got in my car this morning and was already running late, so....starting next week.

The good news is that I am feeling thinner and I can already see some difference in my midsection. I need to not start getting down about the number on the scale and keep postive with all the good I am doing.

Have a great day all!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I am back at work so hopefully I will be able to check in more as I will be at a computer all day! Monday was my first day back and I had a good routine of working out Monday and Tuesday and then something happened to my lower back/ sciatica, so I haven't done anything the past two days. I seriously have the worst luck with my back. I was doing just fine while I was off work and was on week 6 of Jillian Body Rev. I am thinking this weekend if I am feeling better I will just do some walking on the treadmill (BORING!) I am so ready for warm weather!

Ashley- I am right there will ya on the wine and chocolate! That has been my nightly treat when the baby goes to bed and I need to cut it out! But, it relaxes me and is oh so delicious!

I am currently still 10 lbs over pre preg weight and 20 lbs from where I really want to be. Everyone at work keeps saying how I look like I never even had a baby, which always makes ya feel good though. And I am still breastfeeding, so hopefully that will help the scale continue to go down.

My goals for the next two weeks are:

1) start hitting the treadmill for a half hour a day once my back is feeling better
    2) stay within my 1800 cal goal
    3) keep carbs <30%

Maybe in a couple weeks I will try cutting out the chocolate, but I am not ready yet. Now that I am back to work though the wine will have to stay! I will just make sure to leave room for it :wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    My EA is a "shopping addict" at beyondtherack.com ~ since I hate shopping and never do it (unless, in fact, it *is* online shopping, which I will indulge in from time-to-time...), my EA has introduced me to the pleasure! Problem, for me, is that I really didn't know what my "size" is, anymore. These dresses were all size "8". I'll take it!

My Tuesday "koo-koo cleanse" meant that I didn't ingest many calories on tuesday - good planning because I ingested PLENTY O' calories at date night last night, lol! Today, I am fasting (again!) in preparation for our (much-delayed and *re-do*) Xmas supper on Saturday. I will be glad when this whole week is behind me! My sleep is awful (too many late nights ~ and at least 2 more VERY late nights, tonight and tomorrow, on my radar screen....can't be helped!), my calories are high, then low, then high, then low ~ NOTHING like what I prefer. I will be happy to return to my boring ol' "same ol'/same ol'" by Sunday or Monday. NO EXCUSES.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    shander - how exciting that a wedding date MIGHT be set (very soon!) - AWESOME!

Better balance - it IS good news that you are feeling better, getting work-outs in-and-done, etc. Always HAVE to remember the scale is only a "snap-shot" and, without knowing MORE, is a meaningless stat (i.e. is 145 FAT??? Depends, right?? Is it a 5'0" person that is 145 or is it ME at 5'9"?!?!?!?)

ChloE - on my Venus forums, there is a woman who is still breastfeeding her (nearly) 2-year-old and believe me, all those extra calories she gets to eat - we are ALL envious of!! I'm not envious of the breastfeeding thing, itself (never worked well for me!), but to get to EAT more, how LOVELY ~ KEEP THAT UP, I say! And, if your friends/family say that you look like you've never had a baby, that's very good news!

BOOM!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Lovely dresses, Beeps! I like them all. I will have to check out that website. I love to shop, too much. I have some clothes to take to the consignment shop in my trunk right now, I like to get store credit-more shopping! I am finally giving up on the 4-inch heels, I just cannot want to wear that anymore, so I am going to trade in some shoes, and some coats-I have way too many.

Last night I worked out at home, after purchasing a 15 pound weight at the second-hand store! I know I am getting stronger, my 5 lb handweights from 30 Day Shred (3 years ago!) feel like nothing.

Cutmd, I like your advice about trying something new, but I am on the last phase of the Drop 2 Sizes, a Rachel cosgrove 12-week thing. I don't know if I should stick with it, or try something else. The diet is really where I have to get serious, I had some luck with calorie cycling, like a couple of 900-cal days gave me some room for other days. 1200-a-day is so hard consistently!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I seem highly disciplined in getting my work-outs in, even though my lungs burn and I'm always stiff. So, somehow, I can (mentally) work through that PAIN and get on with it. However, I don't seem able to become as "disciplined" in my eating....I really do feel, daily, like I am in such a "sacrifice". I think it is THAT mind-*kitten* that I'd like to part with. I'd like my brain to WAKE UP and KNOW that I have to EAT LESS. Every day. Forevermore. And, somehow fall in LOVE with the LESS so that the DISCIPLINE muscle isn't over-taxed in that regard.

...I feel like I've been 'eating in a deficit' for 18 months, now....obviously, I have NOT, since the scale would suggest I've been eating at 'maintenance' for about 12 months now, lol, but the FEELING I have is that I've been in deficit. I'm attaching a NEGATIVE-FEELING to this process and it is GROWING, not SUBSIDING...

...it makes ME feel like I'm "lying to myself"....that this "eating only calories alotted" is a BIG, FAT LIE ~ that it is NOT "who I really am"....

...in reality, it is likely my reptilian brain fighting with my developed brain....

However, and I don't say this lightly, I'm 100% JEALOUS of the people who have managed to build into their psyche the overall BELIEF system that would support "calorie-deficit" is a necessary part of GETTING WHAT I WANT....for me, it operates in the LOGIC part of my brain ~ but it sure hasn't morphed into the EMOTIONAL part of me.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Beeps your dresses look great on you! I love the first one the most. I know what you mean about feeling like you're sacrificing. Especially when I'm under all this stress I don't want to deprive myself at all! That's why I build in my cheats as much as I can

Amy - great job on the workouts. I know what you mean about the calorie deficit. That's why I do IF to buy myself some room eating wise.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments on the dresses....it was a fun diversion from everything else!

Saw "PINK" last night and became TOTALLY MOTIVATED because she has a HOT HOT BODY!

....gotta find me some acrobat classes, me thinks....
  • amysj303
    Options
    You saw P!nk-like a picture? or a show?

She is super-fit and strong, I want to be her when I grow up:tongue:

I know what you mean, though, I think there might be the other piece of the brain game Beeps, if we just didn't like to eat, or associate it with feelings of happiness. I think that before I quit smoking I didn't care about food and now I am obsessed with what I will eat, how much and what sounds good and how many calories is it... My sister just doubled her dose of wellbutrin and suddenly, she doesn't care about eating and loses 20 pounds in 2 months. feeling deprived all the time, even if you aren't, is a terrible way to go!

Last night I had two beers and was pretty buzzed so I think it's working-my idea that if I don't drink everyday then 3 will be enough-twice per week.

Tonight we celebrate my husband's last day at work! on to the next phase:drinker:

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did see "PINK" in concert, Amy....her "truth about love" tour. AMAZE-BALLS. Go. Just go. Find tix to somewhere she is performing and fly there with your funny-ha-ha-husband and GO SEE HER.

The end.

I'm going to give it my all for the remainder of January. Take my measurements and photos for January month-end-report, and then move back into only a slight deficit (i.e. 200 to 250 cals, daily) for the next few months. I figure I can get to where I want to be by summer 2014 if I do the slight deficit following a 5 lb drop in January.