Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Today was a nice 10.4 mile long run at 10:18 avg pace. Haven't been at 10 miles for a few weeks but it felt good most of the way. A little achy in the last mile but nothing major. I want to get up to 13 miles in a couple weeks then back off before my half marathon in late March. I won't be running that for a PR, just treating it as a training run.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    xoefds.png

1:04:30 run today. 7 miles @9:15 average.. I managed to hit the paces pretty closely. I feel like we should get a handicap on pace when heading into a 30-40 mph wind!

nice run today Tim!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles today with brief walks, 1.2 miles running then 0.1 miles walking four times. Got up and out before breakfast which I really like to do as long as it's above freezing. Fells isn't as thrilled with running before he eats. He'd rather eat first, run and get treats as he runs, then eat again, but unfortunately for him, I control the food. So he's fit and trim.

Glad for everyone who was able to get out running this weekend!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles today with brief walks, 1.2 miles running then 0.1 miles walking four times. Got up and out before breakfast which I really like to do as long as it's above freezing. Fells isn't as thrilled with running before he eats. He'd rather eat first, run and get treats as he runs, then eat again, but unfortunately for him, I control the food. So he's fit and trim.

This made me LOL. Poor Fells. But great run today!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Great runs everyone! Laura, you are so dedicated to go out in those conditions. You rock! Love your bundled up look.

It's snowing outside today so I went on the treadmill and tried the "weight loss" program. I don't want to lose weight but the description was "various speeds and inclines", which I thought would be interesting. Turns out that there's a low incline/speed and a high incline/speed. At Level 2, the low incline/speed is 1/5.4Km/hr and the high incline is 5/7.3Km/hr, in 2.5 minute intervals. I'll have to remember this program for winter hill running. It was quite the workout in the last half.
    In total, I ran 35 minutes at incline 5, 7.3Km/hr, for a total of 3.92Km. Not bad!! That's about a third the distance longer than my real outdoor hill in the neighbourhood.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of catching up to do! My last couple of weeks have been insanely busy, but today I decided to take a vacation from stress and run 8 miles. I was almost 5 minutes faster than the last time, but I think that's mostly due to the fact that the road and sidewalk conditions were much better. I feel pretty darn good. I started with sore legs. This was my third day in a row of running. And I think it was some DOMS from the squats I did after my run Friday night. But it was Ok. No walking. And no fueling or water. I didn't feel like I needed it and I was curious to see what would happen if I didn't. It seems to have been fine. I did sit right down to a bowl of Kashi and almond milk as soon as I finished my stretching though. Yum! I'm feeling more and more confident in my ability to run distance, but 13.1 is still a lot farther than I've been. I'm glad I have until May to get there.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Three easy miles. The starbucks giftcard machine was down, so no coffee.

I don't like the Endomondo plan. I can't choose my long run day, so all the days are off and it records the wrong workout on the wrong day and all it could find to do today was nag at me and nag at me and nag at me about how slow I was running. I'm going back to Coach Jenny and a piece of paper. So there.

Nina keeps talking about how slow she was in her last race and how she fell down. She wants to run again though. I showed her this video last night: http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/124-Finish-Line
    And talked about it in the context of winning. He fell down. You can see by the sweat on his shirt that he's working hard. He isn't fast. He's tired. But he makes it to the finish line and that means that he wins. Just like when she fell down, she kept running and made it to the finish line and got a medal. I love that running provides so much context for personal success that you can use examples that a 4-year-old can understand. I hope it's a lesson she takes with her.

I'm reading the book "Alignment Matters." It's about Biomechanics. I don't really recommend it - I'm sure there are better texts, and she has a free blog. But one exercise she suggests is to have you line your feet up along a straight edge, like a floor tile. Your feet might feel a little pigeon toed, but that's the right direction for them :ohwell:

When I do that, my knees turn in. So I pulled my knees back out without moving my feet (just trying it on my own). That engages my butt and hips.

Today, each time I started running, I would do that drill, then engage my core and go. It felt really good, really aligned, less effortful from the beginning. I think I'm going to keep doing it. :happy:

Very interesting!!! I'm going to try that!

And regarding Nina; She is so blessed to have you as a mom! What a wonderful example and teacher!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Cashews.

Covered in dark chocolate

:laugh:

I went for a run along the river this afternoon. I was running along thinking that this 5K is the longest 5k ever! I had to push myself to make the last 5 minutes. It was a hard run. Then I looked at my Garmin and I'd run 6k; not 5! 6K in 47:50! That motivated me a lot. I walked towards home and, after resting up, ran another 1K without any problems.
    It was a beautiful semi-overcast day and the river is slowly coming to life. Spring must be on its way soon.

Varda, your gains this year are wonderful. It's so motivating to look back a year and see where we were. It's hard to see the changes & improvements happening from day to day.
    Today's run is 2:10 shorter in time and 1k longer in distance than my very first 5K run and I don't really feel as if I'm getting any faster (but I do feel that I'm stronger) and that was roughly a year ago (maybe 13 months).

Congratulations on you r surprise 6k, plexgut! My new mantra is "I'm stronger than i think I am". I think that can be applied here!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    http://www.runningmap.com/

Ran eNaked last night (forgot my phone) and mapped my run today. Almost exactly 4 miles (yay for Jantastic) in about 55ish minutes (so, 13:45/mile).

I graduated C25k on February 9th last year, with a 15 min/mile stroller run.:happy:

I averaged 8 miles/week. This year, I average around 12. :flowerforyou:

In terms of min/mile, I'm about the same for an "easy run" :ohwell:

I can run easily for an hour, without music or distraction of any sort. :glasses:

Awesome, Varda! I have been thinking along similar lines. I begin coaching/cheerleading for RunningrEvolution in two days. So much has happened in one year. We've come such a long way! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I got back home today after a few days away and my replacement running shoes had arrived, and guess what? They sent the wrong size AGAIN! I phoned them AGAIN and customer services talked me through ordering a Wife Fit, which was exactly the same way I had been doing it, and even though I selected 5.5D it was still showing in the description as 5.5Regular so I have no expectation these will be the correct size! So I have now ordered some from another website. I am getting desperate, the only thing that is holding my old shoes together is the mud!! I'm scared to wash them :laugh:

Romy, that's got to be so frustrating! Hope you get correct shoes as soon as possible!

I've managed a steady stair routine over the past two weeks while I've been at work. I do a minimum of 2 reps of 5 flights twice a day, every work day. I've also started to "run" some of them rather than the fast walking. My goal will be to continue the same pattern, not increase the number of flights or the reps, but increase the amount of stair running I do as I decrease the stair walking. My little exercises in my cubicle have varied as I have time to do them. I'm doing calf raises and desk pushups most of the time and squats and stretches if I have time.

I really hope that this will help with keeping my running up when I'm not able to get out there running. Last weekend was hard with both Friday and Monday in the car for 10+ hours. I did get the treadmill running in on Saturday, but that was it for the week. I do have planned runs for Friday and Sunday. I'm planning to start my own variation of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Half Marathon plan tomorrow and see how long it takes me to reach that distance. I'm very pleased to find that without really trying, Fells and I are running 4 miles most of the time now rather than the 2 or 3 we were running most of the time in the Fall. I know that I'm progressing much slower than everyone else who posts here, but I am progressing and I'm having fun and that's all that matters.

It sounds like a great plan! As we all know on here, you gotta run your own race, not anyone else's. I'm excited for you that you are going to start the Hal Higdon Novice 1. My running group uses his plans. :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Love the pedi madmiss, especially since it matches your shoes!

Congratulations on the sponsorship lilbee, sounds like alot of fun.

I got back home today after a few days away and my replacement running shoes had arrived, and guess what? They sent the wrong size AGAIN! I phoned them AGAIN and customer services talked me through ordering a Wife Fit, which was exactly the same way I had been doing it, and even though I selected 5.5D it was still showing in the description as 5.5Regular so I have no expectation these will be the correct size! So I have now ordered some from another website. I am getting desperate, the only thing that is holding my old shoes together is the mud!! I'm scared to wash them :laugh:

LoL! Oh, Romy! That sucks! I really hope the mud holds and you get your new (and properly sized) shoes soon. Don't run in the rain!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Thanks Tim!

BTW, have you seen the BPRC Kennesaw Trail run series???
    March 15 8:00 a.m. 5K
    June 7 8:00 a.m. 10K
    September 13 8:00 a.m. 15K Aid/hydration station provided
    December 7 8:00 a.m. 1/2 Marathon Aid/hydration station provided

Pearl Izumi will be at all runs offering shoes to test drive and other goodies. If you run the entire series, you will be rewarded with a special BPRC/Pearl Izumi T-shirt for your efforts.

These events are not races, but a casual way to enjoy the beautiful trails in our Kennesaw store's backyard. Runners and walkers of all speeds and abilities are welcome to attend.
    I mean, seriously? This is my entire year's race strategy. Offered as free group runs. On trails.

I'm so envious! I am getting my resume together. Surely some company in the Atlanta area needs me!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Gosh I have a lot of catching up to do - need to go back & read what everybody has been up to the past few days!

madmiss & Tim post all these nice photos after they run where they look fit and happy. As a counterpoint here's what 7 miles in 20mph winds on a 3 degree day looks like. (The frown is because I'm facing the sun, not because I'm unhappy to be done.)

10z395x.jpg

Edit: My face is shiny from Vaseline. It protects against wind burn when the wind chill is -17.

I love it! You are so Gansta! Totally hardcore! The sun helps but the wind is still biting here. I experienced Reynaud's syndrome for the first time after today's run. It was numbness up to my elbow on one arm, but mostly my fingertips, due to vasoconstriction caused by the cold.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I'm right there with Fells!!! Sounds like a fabulous strategy to me.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been doing so great this week! I haven't been out for a run this week at all. Was away at the beginning of the week, was too windy Thursday/Friday (it was tough enough walking!), was away on Saturday, had Thinking Day yesterday morning, bussed a load of girls to Ballroom Dancing lessons in the afternoon (20 minute journey took an hour each way!!) so by the time I got home, had dinner and got the kids organised for school and off to bed it was time for me to go to bed! Probably won't have time to run today either, after work I have to bake cakes for my Rainbows moving on party tonight. By the time I get home tonight I will be too tired to go out again, roll on Tuesday so I can run!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Everyone has been doing so great this week! I haven't been out for a run this week at all. Was away at the beginning of the week, was too windy Thursday/Friday (it was tough enough walking!), was away on Saturday, had Thinking Day yesterday morning, bussed a load of girls to Ballroom Dancing lessons in the afternoon (20 minute journey took an hour each way!!) so by the time I got home, had dinner and got the kids organised for school and off to bed it was time for me to go to bed! Probably won't have time to run today either, after work I have to bake cakes for my Rainbows moving on party tonight. By the time I get home tonight I will be too tired to go out again, roll on Tuesday so I can run!!

Hugs! It sounds like you've had a crazy week. That first run might be tough, but once you get past it, it'll be worth it.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I'm right there with Fells!!! Sounds like a fabulous strategy to me.

I want someone to control MY food!!! LOL

I went for a 5 mile bikeride yesterday because I didn't have time for a run before my appointments and before the rain came in. It was torturous - I couldn't keep up with my husband to SAVE myself. I was so slow, and my thighs were just killing. I expected to run away from him given all the training I've been doing. I apparently need something else to fuel with or something, because I've been just useless this week - :( he jokingly said that instead of running I've been just going to the bar with my running partner and drinking because I got slower on the bike!) lol

Tonight I bought my gear for a new running track that I found by my work. Maybe I'll go at lunch and just come back sweaty! I get really bummed when I don't run on Monday AM, but I am also SO tired from everything I really love that extra hour of sleep. I want to have a cool fun job where I can exercise at work :) sigh...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well...once Beth gets in gear with her clothing company and hires all of us...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    BTW - did you see what Laura posted on the Races thread???
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well...once Beth gets in gear with her clothing company and hires all of us...
    Yes! I'm in, too!

Great news about Laura's half marathon!