Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am going through the Life edition the second time thru, as I just finished it last week. WO 1A today but adding a set to each exercise. I used my new straps for the first time and they are AWESOME! And I'm not even sure I'm using them right yet. But I can easily hold onto a 30# DB no problem now and see future gains coming soon. Front squats again with a little extra weight (55#). Planks for a minute. Nothing earth shattering but consistency is a good thing. I've taken to HIIT on a stair climber for a grueling 20 minutes at a time lately.

My challenge is I still eat too much. Not gaining but not losing either. So it continues.

Sue take the time to recover before working hard.

Beeps I did practice with a stick first which just helped me get used to the hand position. I do desk work and I broke my wrist as a kid so I'm taking it slow with weight on the front squat, but I like how I can feels it my abdominals. I don't have the best range of motion in my wrist.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Good grief, Sam! It's been one thing after another for you lately.

Way to lift, everybody. I watched some people lifting at the gym this week enviously, since I was benched from both upper and lower lifting. I might give it a go today; we'll see how my to do list goes. I've dug myself a bit of a pre-spring break hole.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support ladies, I just complain a lot ( I can be a rather negative personality). Trying to watch my diet and today is child's birthday. I"m doing a big tuna sandwich for lunch so I can have cake later.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Popping in here looking for opinions :smile: I'm a healthy, active, almost 70 y.o. doing around 400 minutes of vigorous, mostly cardio workouts per week for the past couple of months, and sneaking up on doing more strength training! I'm reading NROL4W, just getting to the chapters on workouts, and then someone suggested that NROL4L (Life) might be a less overwhelming program to start out with. Before I proceed further, I'd love to hear your opinion on which book I might want to focus.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Popping in here looking for opinions :smile: I'm a healthy, active, almost 70 y.o. doing around 400 minutes of vigorous, mostly cardio workouts per week for the past couple of months, and sneaking up on doing more strength training! I'm reading NROL4W, just getting to the chapters on workouts, and then someone suggested that NROL4L (Life) might be a less overwhelming program to start out with. Before I proceed further, I'd love to hear your opinion on which book I might want to focus.
    No responses? Really? Not even to tell me I made a mistake asking in this thread? I don't know whether to :laugh: or :cry: !!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Ummm... I was asleep. Be patient for replies!

I have not done NROL for life so I can't comment on that. NROL may seem overwhelming to start with, but if you take it one step at a time it is quite easy to follow. I had not done any weights prior to starting this program. Hopefully someone will be able to comment on the 'for life' version for you soon.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,982 Member
    Options
    NROL4Life is excellent...it is a newer book than NROL4W.

I did them both.

Neither of them is a poor choice. Buy them both!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I like front squats because, for me, i think i actually have much better spine alignment.

I just don't do squats much because my posterior chain is weak....and i choose exercise moves that help strengthen my oosterior chain, instead.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ok I am not sick just feeling sorry for myself. I ate a bunch of Oreos. I took a week off from lifting which became a week and a day and I ate a lot of Oreos.

I might have to find some straps, rocky -- that sounds awesome.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Checked in my progress with the ETP people.... gotta up my cals by another 100.... takes me to 1900 - will be so full!!

Happy today - DLs 4 x 4, elbow tolerates low reps.... got up to 57.5kg (127lbs) which is not far off my PB from a year ago. And over bodyweight. Hurrah! Yay for the elbow improvements. Also go in some dumbell rows at 26.5lbs (each) which is best yet when doing both arms at the same time. Had fun and got rid of my bad mood I woke up in - yay!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Great lifting, jo_marnes!!

pmagnanlift - oreos sound very yummy....we bought some "frozen cookie dough" at a local fundraiser on saturday and my daughter baked some up last night....I lost count as to how many I ate, but it wasn't pretty.

....time change....ughhhhh....may kill me.....

....I lift, today, but feel ZERO energy to do so.

BOOM!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    oh my...lots of sickness recently - hope you are all feeling better!

Had my little vein procedure on Friday so no exercise allowed this weekend - I was told I can walk or do elliptical this week but no impact and no squats/leg work. So I walked on the tm for 20 min then did upper body weights - felt good.

Have a great day all!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Jo, eat up! Sounds like you're on the right track if you're increasing weights.

Pmag, I took a week off too. I ate EVERYTHING. Lifting helps me keep my diet in check for some reason. Probably has to do with the blood sugar regulating effects.

BFit, rest up!

Beeps, I feel like front squats are easier for me to keep proper form as well.

Rocky, even if you're not losing weight, you might be getting some recomp. It's probably better in the long run to just do recomp, though few of is have the patience for it!

I start the final stage of Supercharged today. It looks fun. The main lifts (DL, Squat, BP, and row or chin-ups) are done in sets so that you eventually get to a true one rep max. I'm looking forward to that!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

You rock! I think you'd be fine doing either one. If you've never done heavy lifting, I think NROL4W is a great intro to it!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Gawd, why can't I just stop shoveling food into my mouth????

This seems SO impossible these days!!

Where is the Beeps from January?!?!? I just KILLED it that month!

I am WAY off my game...
  • samntha14
    Options
    Time change...that is all lol

I've done 4W, ABS and LIFE. Life was great, and please excuse me for saying so, but the authors do mention that it's perfect for maintain weight and muscle mass later in life. I think 4w, or at least an abridged version of 4W is a great introduction to strength training, and will make it easier to pick exercises in the "pick your pleasure" style of the later books.

Damn I want oreos!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Checked in my progress with the ETP people.... gotta up my cals by another 100.... takes me to 1900 - will be so full!!

Happy today - DLs 4 x 4, elbow tolerates low reps.... got up to 57.5kg (127lbs) which is not far off my PB from a year ago. And over bodyweight. Hurrah! Yay for the elbow improvements. Also go in some dumbell rows at 26.5lbs (each) which is best yet when doing both arms at the same time. Had fun and got rid of my bad mood I woke up in - yay!
    Awesome lifting!!
  • samntha14
    Options
    No responses? Really? Not even to tell me I made a mistake asking in this thread? I don't know whether to :laugh: or :cry: !!
    Sorry but forum comments don't come to mobile devices like home page comments do, so sometimes you won't see comments until the evening when folks are home from work...and it's dead on the weekend :(
  • knightlygator
    Options
    Yayy.. I did it.. (I think) lol.. May need to tweak the time I go.. had to work around meat heads on the squat rack .. and ended up using the squat machine.. was interesting.. actually did 15 mini "big girl" push ups on the floor.. (all the benches were taken) had to do the first set in mini sets of 5 and couldn't go all the way down.. but my form was good. When I was done with the first set.. the meat head who was texting on the rowing cables was down. so I did the rows and then the used the bench for the second set of push ups.. Much easier.. and for the fait accompli... those jack-knife thingys.. UGH.. attempted them with the trx.. hahahahahahahahahahahah (I think I exhausted my knowledge of my brother's sailor vocabulary for that set.).. Grabbed a medium size ball for the second set. They went a tad bit.. marginally.. itty bitty bit better.. Feeling a bit achy now.. but we shall see how things go in the morning. :):)
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Hi Susan,
    I am using the life edition, on my second time thru. I have not used the women's edition so I can't compare the two but can tell you what I like about the Life program... although I think they are all somewhat similar. This one gives a lot options and fitness testing before you dive into an exercise. Assists with organizing your work outs, sets and reps etc. (more is not always better). Guides you thru a nice warm up before weight training. If you haven't done any organized weight training ever, it is a good place to start for strength training in a practical manner. Also I think is is written for the over 50 crowd as the author is in his mid 50s while writing it.