Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    If your track record for overcoming soreness and problems areas are any indication you will be good to go for Sunday!

I'm kinda digging trail running...I turn the music up and just get lost in it all, when i'm not worried about traffic.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If your track record for overcoming soreness and problems areas are any indication you will be good to go for Sunday!

I'm kinda digging trail running...I turn the music up and just get lost in it all, when i'm not worried about traffic.

Thanks Joe! I'm feeling much better today and will try an easy 3 miles tonight at the group run.

I definitely agree about the trails!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So, I ran 10k for the first time in awhile and I have to admit - it hurt a little. Part of it is the fact that I missed Pilates on Monday. Part of it might be the shoes. Part is that I'm a little out of condition. I think I'm going to spend a few weeks running between an hour 15 minutes and an hour 45 minutes before I keep adding on to reach 2.5 hours. It's a little discouraging...but last year I wasn't able to run 6 miles until late May.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Thanks Joe! I'm feeling much better today and will try an easy 3 miles tonight at the group run.

I definitely agree about the trails!

Yep. I love them too.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Glad that you're feeling better, Tim. Hope that the half marathon goes well!

I ran to my Metabolic Conditioning class last night and back. It was grey, raining, and in the 40s F, but as I kept telling myself, "All of this is better than hot!"

This morning I went to my first RunSmart class at work. He had us do the treadmill for 10 minutes, 2 minutes easy, 8 minutes moderate/vigorous, 2 minutes easy. I found it interesting that where I felt my comfortable/easy pace to be at the end, was quite a bit faster after my 8 minute vigorous, than before. We followed the little treadmill workout with 15 minutes of, to me, very difficult squats. We had a range of "jumping squats with touching the ground with your hand between" to just hold it for 30 second squats. Each one wasn't too bad, but all together and with minimal breaks between, they made my legs cry. The class is just twice a week for four weeks and I already had to miss one class. I really hope that I don't miss any more. I think that they'll do me good. I moved from taking the class during lunch to taking it at 7 am, to make sure that I can get to them. No one has 7 am meetings here.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    So, I ran 10k for the first time in awhile and I have to admit - it hurt a little. Part of it is the fact that I missed Pilates on Monday. Part of it might be the shoes. Part is that I'm a little out of condition. I think I'm going to spend a few weeks running between an hour 15 minutes and an hour 45 minutes before I keep adding on to reach 2.5 hours. It's a little discouraging...but last year I wasn't able to run 6 miles until late May.
    I'm sure the next time you try 10k it won't be as bad. As you know, sometimes runs just don't come together well.

I've been using my new Apollo shoes (really lightweight, non-stability) for my Wednesday run/Metabolic Conditioning class and my New Balance running shoes (stability shoes) for my Friday and Sunday runs. That's been working really well.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Finally got off work before dark and got in 15 miles on the bike yesterday. Hoping to add a few more this afternoon.

I have only run on trails a couple of times and I love it! Definitely something I want to do more of!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm sure the next time you try 10k it won't be as bad. As you know, sometimes runs just don't come together well.

I've been using my new Apollo shoes (really lightweight, non-stability) for my Wednesday run/Metabolic Conditioning class and my New Balance running shoes (stability shoes) for my Friday and Sunday runs. That's been working really well.

I didn't think about it "just being a bad run." THANKS for that! :flowerforyou:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I didn't think about it "just being a bad run." THANKS for that! :flowerforyou:

Donna is wise.
  • joedfro
    Options
    3+ miles around 9:30ish..not sure, my watch was slow with the sats today, so i started without it and let it catch up
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    3 miles today and yesterday also... Lady at work and I have started text messaging sweaty selfies to each other after every workout to Inspire the other person (or guilt them) either way, there's money on the line. (Hehe) $.50 c for every missed workout that we each committed to. She committed to 6 a week, I committed to 5. So far it's Thursday and I'm on workout #2 - guess that means I'm running all weekend ;) it's fun though a little friendly competition and motivation is always helpful!!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    3 miles last night with the running group. I took it slow @ 10:00 pace. Didn't feel any pain around my hip like earlier in the week. Just a tiny bit of soreness this morning. I finally broke out my new Ravenna 5's and they felt awesome! I'm going to wear those for the half marathon this weekend unless it rains (and right now there's a decent chance).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Two miles yesterday. After one mile, my calf was sore. After two, the soreness was in the achilles area.

I tried rolling, but it was tender (like after a massage) so I wasn't sure if I should keep pressing on it.

So I took an ice bath. That mutha was cold. I couldn't help screaming when I first got in. My girls were there and I had to explain why Mommy was hurting herself with cold water. Now Nina wants ice in her bath.

I'm still achy today.

I think I'm going to keep my mileage where it is and just do it slow until I work through these issues.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    3 miles today and yesterday also... Lady at work and I have started text messaging sweaty selfies to each other after every workout to Inspire the other person (or guilt them) either way, there's money on the line. (Hehe) $.50 c for every missed workout that we each committed to. She committed to 6 a week, I committed to 5. So far it's Thursday and I'm on workout #2 - guess that means I'm running all weekend ;) it's fun though a little friendly competition and motivation is always helpful!!!

GREAT IDEA!!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I went to my local National Park for a ride yesterday afternoon. I put in 12 ish miles by myself, then 18 more after my friend showed up! Great training ride with plenty of hills and wind!

I'll probably go back there this afternoon for a run.

22 days until my BP MS150 ride. EEK!
  • joedfro
    Options

i too think this is a super idea!

I'm driving myself cray on which activity tracker to buy, and even if i should get one. I'm definitely getting a HRM to pair with my tom-tom runner watch, so alternatively, i could just use digifit or a similar app to track the x-factor ST workouts, since I am clueless about my calorie burn during those sessions.

Any advice or opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated! Thanks
  • likitisplit
    Options

Accountability buddies are awesome!
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Nice going Tim, Joe, and madmiss with your 3 mile runs. Good luck with the race, Tim! Great idea with the coworker, madmiss!

Sorry about the soreness, Varda. Hope the aches and pains resolve quickly as you get up to speed.

Ran my long run today. Even when I started I felt sore, slow, and like my legs were part cooked noodles. I guess I still hadn't fully recovered from my first RunSmart class. I've got three more weeks. It appears that the Tuesday RunSmart classes are running and core exercise days and the Thursday ones are running and leg (squat) exercises. We're to do the running and core exercises again on Friday on our own (I'll do mine on Saturday) and the leg exercises again on Sunday. My long run, 20 minutes of stretches and some upper body body strength work is enough for today. I really didn't want to add the core work in too.

Strangely, according to Runtastic pro on my phone, I ran faster today than I did last Friday. It certainly didn't feel like it! Fells enjoyed the run and was still happily bouncing around at the end when I was hoping that my legs would just hold me up.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

LOL! This is great. Love the idea.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I went to my local National Park for a ride yesterday afternoon. I put in 12 ish miles by myself, then 18 more after my friend showed up! Great training ride with plenty of hills and wind!

I'll probably go back there this afternoon for a run.

22 days until my BP MS150 ride. EEK!

Nice bike ride! National parks are so beautiful. I bet it was gorgeous scenery. You're going to do great on the MS ride!