Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    oh my stride is 176 per minute.. i remember a discussion about strides and i'm just now receiving that metric and wonder if anyone knows if that is good or bad...thanks

That's great! 180 is typically the ideal number to shoot for but it's not necessarily the perfect number for everyone. You're pretty close! Last year I was usually around the low-mid 160's but I get close to 180 now on slow runs (thanks to a Good Form Running class). On faster runs I can easily be 200 or more.

It's actually 180+ But 176 is awesome and prevents all kinds of form issues. There are things you just can't do when you move your legs that quickly.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Thanks vard...

I have been really working on holding pace and may consider working as a pacer since I don't really enjoy the actual racing part of these races.

Looks like there was a lot of racing this weekend...I considered entering in the Superheroes and Villians 5K in joplin on Saturday, but didn't...incidentally, I saw the times posted for the event and was kicking myself.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Darn it. I looked for you and everything.

This is the race I did with my friend. I told her to slow down a million times during the first mile. The second mile was good for her. She got a little tired during the third but I told her that was normal and you just have to kind of push against it. I made her sprint the last 0.1 miles while she complained about feeling sick and dizzy.

It took her about 6 hours to forgive me but then she felt great about pushing through that perceived limitation.

Wow, I didn't know you would be there! There were more guys walking around with big cameras than I expected (since only 2 of us were hired to cover the race). I'll be at the Peachtree Jr - I think you said you would be there. I wear a dual camera harness so if you see someone with two big cameras that's probably me. I was mostly covered up by a big blue poncho on Saturday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    23jseuq.png

isn't that pace line terrific? I can't believe I could hold it steady!!!

WOW! AMAZING! My pace line is ALWAYS all over the place!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Darn it. I looked for you and everything.

This is the race I did with my friend. I told her to slow down a million times during the first mile. The second mile was good for her. She got a little tired during the third but I told her that was normal and you just have to kind of push against it. I made her sprint the last 0.1 miles while she complained about feeling sick and dizzy.

It took her about 6 hours to forgive me but then she felt great about pushing through that perceived limitation.

Wow, I didn't know you would be there! There were more guys walking around with big cameras than I expected (since only 2 of us were hired to cover the race). I'll be at the Peachtree Jr - I think you said you would be there. I wear a dual camera harness so if you see someone with two big cameras that's probably me. I was mostly covered up by a big blue poncho on Saturday.

I ended up signing up because my friend wanted the smart glass necklace. I didn't consider it a serious target race - just a run. Which sounds douchey now that I've typed it out.

DEFINITELY going to be at the PT Junior.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my Saturday run in. I was babysitting my niece's daughter who is almost 3. My son was going to take over so I could get out for my run and he ended up getting called into work early. I'm not used to having to schedule my runs around littles. My youngest are 11. I did get my run in on Sunday, but now I'm off a day this week. I don't usually run on Tuesdays cuz that's my bowling night (I'm not very good, but it's something my best friend and I do for fun). Tomorrow I'll have a 90 minutes after I get home from work to run and shower before I have to leave for bowling. At least all I have is 3 miles. With a 5 min warm up walk and 5 minute cool down walk that will probably take me 50-55 minutes. My running this winter has been sporadic this winter. I was slow last fall about 13:30 min/mile, but now it's more like 14:30 :sad: I guess maybe it's just going to take a few weeks of consistent running to get back to where I was?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I didn't get my Saturday run in. I was babysitting my niece's daughter who is almost 3. My son was going to take over so I could get out for my run and he ended up getting called into work early. I'm not used to having to schedule my runs around littles. My youngest are 11. I did get my run in on Sunday, but now I'm off a day this week. I don't usually run on Tuesdays cuz that's my bowling night (I'm not very good, but it's something my best friend and I do for fun). Tomorrow I'll have a 90 minutes after I get home from work to run and shower before I have to leave for bowling. At least all I have is 3 miles. With a 5 min warm up walk and 5 minute cool down walk that will probably take me 50-55 minutes. My running this winter has been sporadic this winter. I was slow last fall about 13:30 min/mile, but now it's more like 14:30 :sad: I guess maybe it's just going to take a few weeks of consistent running to get back to where I was?

It'll be back before you know it. What was your time in April of last year?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Had my first meeting with my personal trainer today. It wasn't a training session, just an evaluation. He had me do a series of strength and/or flexibility moves and measured them. I didn't feel like I did really well, but then, maybe this way I have a lot that can be improved, right? :)

Ran to and from the fitness studio for a total of a little more then 3 miles.
  • Rindy12
    Options

Nothing, I didn't start C25K until July 4th. You always have a way of putting things into perspective, thanks!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm back! I've still been running but SO busy it's ridiculous... After a whilwind weekend in pittsburgh (where I got to play in the snow and run on giant hills and stairs - woot woot) I am back in the game. Had a delicious meal replacement smoothie for lunch (since I ate too much all weekend) and now back to the training schedule. There's a new calendar on my fridge, there's spring in the air (which for us is like 85 degrees right now) and there's some stairs or hill workouts in my future!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I read about the "Greasing the Groove" technique yesterday and started to apply it to my Australian pull ups. I'm also thinking about how it applies to running...is that what LSD does?

http://www.leanandmuscular.org/greasing-the-groove.php

what are Australian pushups? LOL I am Australian, does that involve a beer at all? LOL
    I was feeling lowly earlier this week. I had a terribly sucky long run, then on Tuesday's coaching night I fell. Hard. Ugh.

Last night I made a last minute decision to take my bruises and do a 5K today. So glad I did! My faith in myself is restored! New PR! 30:10! YAY!!!! Do you realize that the last time I ran an official race, the ambulance followed behind me? I am a whopping 6 minutes and 29 seconds faster than my 5K race last July! Long distance running pays. So do hills. I passed so many people on the hills! 3 total in the race. Hooray!!!! I do admit that I thought more than once "Don't fall!"

Way to go PR!!!!!!! And good for you getting up and doing it all again after a fall - that's never easy...
    Gotta brag about my wife who set a 5K PR today of 22:54 at the Atlanta Women's 5K. Her previous PR was 25:24, so a huge improvement.

Awesome Tim, and great photos too!!! You should be very proud of all the accomplishments you and your wife make! Especially together!

And for all those of you who have trainers, ya'll need to adopt me so that I can use a trainer too. I can't afford one on my lowly salary lol
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Had my first meeting with my personal trainer today. It wasn't a training session, just an evaluation. He had me do a series of strength and/or flexibility moves and measured them. I didn't feel like I did really well, but then, maybe this way I have a lot that can be improved, right? :)

Nice job! The great thing about the evaluation is doing it again in 3 months or 6 months or a year. It's so much fun to see the progress you make. Do you think you'll like training?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    what are Australian pushups? LOL I am Australian, does that involve a beer at all? LOL

http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/01/07/all-about-australian-pull-ups/
    And for all those of you who have trainers, ya'll need to adopt me so that I can use a trainer too. I can't afford one on my lowly salary lol

If you drive up to ATL, we can get a group discount with mine!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Nothing, I didn't start C25K until July 4th. You always have a way of putting things into perspective, thanks!

It's a question I keep asking myself. :bigsmile:
  • likitisplit
    Options

I always feel spastic the first one or two times I try something.

LOVE the new picture.

One of these days we'll need to do a "Sexy Summer Legs" thread with pictures. :wink:
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    At a work conference...ran on a treadmill at hotel

30 minutes 3.45 miles..

If anyone has ever been to trailhead brewery company.....yum
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the positive comments!

Nice getting the run in, John. A hotel treadmill isn't the most fun, but you got it done!

Great PR, Beth! Congratulations!

Congratulations to your wife, too, Tim!

Good to "see" you again, madmiss, despite you being so busy. I hate it when life conflicts with my plans.

And nice runs to everyone else who posted! Maybe they weren't quite as fast as you;d like, but you did them! And you will get faster! That's one nice thing about our level. We will all get better as long as we just keep going!

Had RunSmart class this morning, with treadmill running (1 mile total) and body core work. Then ran a couple of miles with Fells this evening. Then went to my first training session. We did a quick warm up and then various exercises until my half hour was up. He came up with three sets of exercises. Each set was a series of 3 exercises that I did, rested, then did again. Then we immediately went to the next set. He said that he would email me my homework for this week. I'm enjoying this so far. He normally does 1 hour sessions, but I asked him if he'd do half hours ones for me. I really would rather do as much as I can (basic cardio, stretching) on my own, at home, then in the gym.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Great runs & workouts everyone!!

Last night was our usual group run - tons of people showed up to enjoy a beautiful 80° day. Just a week ago we were freezing out there! They played an April Fool's joke on us by telling us we were going south on the greenway when in reality everyone was supposed to go north. We didn't pick up on that and ran the wrong way with a lot of other people. Not funny when you're hot, thirsty, and there's no water station at the turnaround point! We ran an easy 4 miles. This week will definitely be a test for me - my coach has me running 5 days in a row but no Sunday long run. With my trail race on Saturday he probably figures I don't need another run on Sunday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Just over 21 miles on the bike yesterday at the local National Park- mostly me and the deer (and squirrels and birds). It was great! Trees are blooming, flowers everywhere- Spring is here!
  • Rindy12
    Options
    I squeezed in 3 miles last night after work and before bowling. I wanted to swap out the 3 mile yesterday for the 4 mile tomorrow since it's supposed to be raining all day and that means tomorrow will be on the treadmill, but I just didn't have the time. The wind was crazy!! There were times when it was hard just to get forward movement. My normal route is a 2.3 mile loop around a small lake and it's usually windy year round, but I've never run in wind like this before. Even though it was a tough run, I felt amazing when I was done. It's days like this that I'm reminded why I love to run.