Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 2, Day 1 tonight. I didn't realize my phone GPS wasn't tracking my run until I hit the end of the first 15 minute run and hadn't heard the 1 mile notification. I ended up having to restart my phone, which restarted my C210k app. Once everything was back up and working properly, I decided to run through the 5 minute warmup in addition to the 15 minute run segment, so 20 minutes total for the second run. Finished up the last 15 run without any problems. By the time I was done, my total workout (not including the warm up/cool down) was approximately 4:41 miles in 57:21. The distance is more of an estimate than usual, as I had to manually edit my route. Still, not too bad considering my longest distance was 3.18 miles before tonight.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Week 2, Day 1 tonight. I didn't realize my phone GPS wasn't tracking my run until I hit the end of the first 15 minute run and hadn't heard the 1 mile notification. I ended up having to restart my phone, which restarted my C210k app. Once everything was back up and working properly, I decided to run through the 5 minute warmup in addition to the 15 minute run segment, so 20 minutes total for the second run. Finished up the last 15 run without any problems. By the time I was done, my total workout (not including the warm up/cool down) was approximately 4:41 miles in 57:21. The distance is more of an estimate than usual, as I had to manually edit my route. Still, not too bad considering my longest distance was 3.18 miles before tonight.
    It's a bugger when your phone messes up on you.! Good effort to push through with the rest of the program :)

W5D2 of my B210K, Walk 5, run 25, walk 1, run 25, walk 1.
    Legs are still feeling a bit tired and my calves were still tight, so I cut a small loop out of my 10.5k track to bring it down to 10k. I knew I couldn't sandbag enough to walk up the stretch of a hill I hate, so put a little extra effort into that first running leg, felt pretty good although very heavy legged, and couldn't get the turnover/speed on the downhills that I normally do. What I thought was going to be a cut back week in my program, turned out to be a cut back day or two. Oh well, run again Friday and no running this weekend. Friday should see me hit my monthly target of 130km (or be like 1km short) I smashed my elevation target this month, I was aiming for 1500m of elevation, I'm now at a little over 2000m
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    First post-race run today. Jason (my trainer) told me to go out for 2-3 miles, told me not to even look at my pace, and warned me my legs would likely feel stiff & tired. The first couple miles I felt like I was running in slow motion but then I finally found my groove again in the third mile. Ended up going 5K in 35:37, which is actually a really good time for me. I had time between work & my session with Jason so I ran from the gym then had an upper body session.

Jason wants me to do unstructured runs over the next couple weeks (except for the 5K race I'm doing on July 4). Still run 3 days a week, anywhere from 2-6 miles depending on how I feel. I'm not sure how I feel about that. He's also taking some time off around the July 4 holiday so I won't see him for a week either. Do I get to just be lazy for a week? That's sounding kind of appealing.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Jason wants me to do unstructured runs over the next couple weeks (except for the 5K race I'm doing on July 4). Still run 3 days a week, anywhere from 2-6 miles depending on how I feel. I'm not sure how I feel about that. He's also taking some time off around the July 4 holiday so I won't see him for a week either. Do I get to just be lazy for a week? That's sounding kind of appealing.

I did something similar the other week after a brush with over training. It was only for 2 runs, but it did me the absolute world of good. I came back to set a 10K PB on my 3rd run back.
    Once I finish my B210K in about 2 weeks, program I'll take another week or two of unstructured trail runs.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I did something similar the other week after a brush with over training. It was only for 2 runs, but it did me the absolute world of good. I came back to set a 10K PB on my 3rd run back.
    Once I finish my B210K in about 2 weeks, program I'll take another week or two of unstructured trail runs.

After my eye surgery I had a few weeks of bad runs. It got to the point where I was ready to quit running completely. For one week Jason finally told me just do whatever runs felt good to me, and that helped me get over the mental barrier. For over a year I've had a spreadsheet going planning out my workouts in 3 month blocks, so generally I don't do very well with lack of structure. My last spreadsheet ended with my HM on Saturday and that's got me rattled. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My running buddies bailed on me yesterday, so I went for a long run a the National Park.

6.35 miles in 71:14, 11:12 average pace.

My legs felt like lead when I started, but I finished strong!
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I ALMOST completed W9D1 (this is my third attempt). I made it about 3 minutes away from my cool down, checked my app and hit a huge mental block. Next week has 2 days of 10 minute intervals and one day of 12 minute intervals, so even though I technically didn't "complete" my runs in full this week, I'm still going to try and move on. I think a change of pace (literally) might help me get over this hump.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I ALMOST completed W9D1 (this is my third attempt). I made it about 3 minutes away from my cool down, checked my app and hit a huge mental block. Next week has 2 days of 10 minute intervals and one day of 12 minute intervals, so even though I technically didn't "complete" my runs in full this week, I'm still going to try and move on. I think a change of pace (literally) might help me get over this hump.

I think you are doing the right thing, I am sure you will manage those. I struggled with b210k when I first started, I also couldn't find a program I liked which didn't help. In the end I just went out and ran, and discovered that if I run slow enough I can keep going forever (or till my feet start hurting or I need to go to the toilet!), I think a lot of it is psychological.

I am having another rest day today, didn't do weights yesterday as my legs were still tired from my last lifting session and by afternoon my knee knee was sore. Knee still sore today so as much as I want to go just go out and run, I'm not. It is hard not to just go out for a short run, just to see how my knee feels, but I've made that mistake before! Sad panda sitting home alone ????
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry I STILL haven't been around. Argh. my life is still uber complicated... On a plus side, happy 11 month running anniversary to me! 489 miles of roadway have bought me this far, as well as 3 pairs of awesome shoes, (which I still all wear) and 1 month to go to the big 1 year! I think, however, I have to fix my pronation/heel striking issue, apparently in the 6 months of 2013 I did 247 miles. This year I'm 5 months in and already at 242. That's 141 burgers burned, according to me endomondo app, or 4 days and 7 hours of continuous running if you added it all together. Pretty amazing stuff.

I've also started speedwork (running the lightpoles in our neighborhood > fast/slow/fast/slow between each pole and the next. It's super fun!
    shoes-.jpg
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Sorry I STILL haven't been around. Argh. my life is still uber complicated... On a plus side, happy 11 month running anniversary to me! 489 miles of roadway have bought me this far, as well as 3 pairs of awesome shoes, (which I still all wear) and 1 month to go to the big 1 year! I think, however, I have to fix my pronation/heel striking issue, apparently in the 6 months of 2013 I did 247 miles. This year I'm 5 months in and already at 242. That's 141 burgers burned, according to me endomondo app, or 4 days and 7 hours of continuous running if you added it all together. Pretty amazing stuff.

I've also started speedwork (running the lightpoles in our neighborhood > fast/slow/fast/slow between each pole and the next. It's super fun!
    shoes-.jpg

Happy anniversary! That's a LOT of miles. And those shoes are definitely telling a story about your foot strike.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I am having another rest day today, didn't do weights yesterday as my legs were still tired from my last lifting session and by afternoon my knee knee was sore. Knee still sore today so as much as I want to go just go out and run, I'm not. It is hard not to just go out for a short run, just to see how my knee feels, but I've made that mistake before! Sad panda sitting home alone ????

It's the right thing to do, but it stinks. Hang in there, sad panda.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I had that mental block once with C25K. I made the mistake of looking at the time when I thought I should be almost done and found out I had several minutes left to go. I immediately felt really tired. I managed to keep myself running but it felt like torture. So much of running really is a mental game.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    My running buddies bailed on me yesterday, so I went for a long run a the National Park.

6.35 miles in 71:14, 11:12 average pace.

My legs felt like lead when I started, but I finished strong!

Sounds like an awesome run!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Happy 11th month anniversary, Madmiss! Your shoes look great!

I like your speedwork routine. I may just steal that, come fall (or any cooler day this summer), if that's okay.

This morning I went for an early morning 5K run (39:00). It was warmer than I expected it to be but the river views were gorgeous. Lots of birds flying around, too, which is always fun to watch.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I haven't really posted here much. Still running. I'm trying to combine two goals, which are similar, but not the same. I promised to run at least 22 miles per week through June and I want to start a half marathon training plan. I'm doing a combination of both until the end of the month and then switching to just the half marathon plan.

I ran 3 miles on Tuesday. This morning I ran 4 miles before work and tomorrow is to be a 5 mile run, then 8 miles on Sunday. I'll do 2-3 miles on Monday evening and I'll have done 91 to 92 miles this month, the most I have ever done.

After this, I'll have 10 weeks until my half marathon and figure that I can just jump into week three of a 12 week half marathon plan.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    W5D3 of B210K tonight, 5 min walk, run 30, walk 1, run 30 walk 5.
    I knew I would need to add some distance to my usual route, so I added another loop that should add about 500m to my route, all good in my head on so I head out. I knew I couldn't sand bag my horror hill so I put a little extra effort into my first run and got one of my faster times for that section, powered along through the occasional tightness on the inside of my left shin and right hammy. Nothing horrible, just letting me know I've been working them. Legs still felt tired and lead like on my downhills, though I could speed up I couldn't get the turn over I would have liked. Hit my 2km from home mark, checked my phone and found I had around 12-13min left on my last 30min run. I got to home and I hadn't finished my 30min, so I headed up the hill *groan* I mean just getting home is heading up a hill, but it gets worse I checked the phone and I had 1:30 let on my run. I made it to the top of the hill and started back down when the 'cool down' message finally kicked in.
    11.6km for 67:27 with 187m of elevation change (according to Strava) and a new 10k pb. 56:25, which is around a 2:30 improvement, and 27:31 5k which is around a 1min improvement on my home loop 5k pb.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was just pointed to this page from the C25K page and I'm SO glad...I love these check in threads...:smile:

I have completed Week 9 of the C210K app (I use ZenLabs) which was 3 days of "walk 5, run 10/walk 1 (4x), walk 5" and it felt GREAT! I think the 3rd interval was the hardest, mentally mainly I think, but I made it through all the running all three days...YAY!! Today I am doing W10D1 which is "walk 5, run15/walk1 (3x), walk 5"...I'm a little worried about the bigger run time, but I think mentally this one will be a bit easier for me because it's only 3 intervals...we shall see :) First 10K is scheduled for August 16th :glasses:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Welcome mom2! Good work on the C210K program!

It's been a busy week for me. End of the month and especially end of the quarter is a hectic time. Still getting in my training despite work, heat, & storms.
    Tuesday: 5 miles easy run
    Wednesday: Track workout - 2 miles warmup, 2x1600m @ 7:25 pace, 8x200m @ 0:45 each, 2-miles cooldown
    Thursday: 5 miles easy run

Today's a rest day and I hope to get the yard mowed if it isn't storming again when I get home. Tomorrow it's 6 miles + hill repeats + strength training, then a long 11-mile run on Sunday.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was just pointed to this page from the C25K page and I'm SO glad...I love these check in threads...:smile:

I have completed Week 9 of the C210K app (I use ZenLabs) which was 3 days of "walk 5, run 10/walk 1 (4x), walk 5" and it felt GREAT! I think the 3rd interval was the hardest, mentally mainly I think, but I made it through all the running all three days...YAY!! Today I am doing W10D1 which is "walk 5, run15/walk1 (3x), walk 5"...I'm a little worried about the bigger run time, but I think mentally this one will be a bit easier for me because it's only 3 intervals...we shall see :) First 10K is scheduled for August 16th :glasses:

Welcome to the group! I love the check-in threads too. It pretty much got me through C25K.
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    11.6km for 67:27 with 187m of elevation change (according to Strava) and a new 10k pb. 56:25, which is around a 2:30 improvement, and 27:31 5k which is around a 1min improvement on my home loop 5k pb.

Nice job! Congrats on the new PBs! :drinker:
    Hi everyone! I was just pointed to this page from the C25K page and I'm SO glad...I love these check in threads...smile

Welcome!!

Week 2, Day 2 tonight for me. I felt sluggish the entire time and it showed in my pace, but I still finished. I wasn't sure why I felt so awful until I got home and my phone said we're at 49% humidity. I mean, what the eff? I live in Utah, not Florida.