Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Completed C25K for the second time. This time distance. I am going to do another round of Five to 10k too, distance as well. I am not focusing speed, it is all about distance for me right now. I am doing Focus T25 as well. I have accepted that I can't run and do T25 the same days. Tried it, but it just isn't working.

@Madmiss Congrats on 11 months of running and all those miles, you go girl!!!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Completed C25K for the second time. This time distance. I am going to do another round of Five to 10k too, distance as well. I am not focusing speed, it is all about distance for me right now. I am doing Focus T25 as well. I have accepted that I can't run and do T25 the same days. Tried it, but it just isn't working.

I've been trying to do T25 too, but with running and weight lifting it is really hard to fit it in. I'm starting to struggle with my weight lifting so I think I am going to switch that for T25 for now.

Acidstained, when I was training for my 10k last summer the humidity was in the 90's! And I live in Scotland! Sometimes it felt difficult to breathe so I can imagine it would definitely slow down your running.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So this week I decided to just advance even though I technically didn't complete the first week of 5-10k. Today was W5,R10,W1,R10,W2,R10,W3,R10,W4,R10,W5. The shorter run times definitely helped, especially since it was 83 degrees and 80% humidity this morning when I ran. I finally completed a workout!! It took everything I had in me and I ALMOST stopped on several occasions, but I was able to snap out of it pretty quickly. It was probably one of the sloooooooooowest runs I've ever had (I think like a 14-15minute mile). I'm pretty sure I could walk faster than that, lol. I'm REALLY hoping my speed picks back up before I have my 6k race at the end of July! I really wanted to finish under 35 minutes.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    So this week I decided to just advance even though I technically didn't complete the first week of 5-10k. Today was W5,R10,W1,R10,W2,R10,W3,R10,W4,R10,W5. The shorter run times definitely helped, especially since it was 83 degrees and 80% humidity this morning when I ran. I finally completed a workout!! It took everything I had in me and I ALMOST stopped on several occasions, but I was able to snap out of it pretty quickly. It was probably one of the sloooooooooowest runs I've ever had (I think like a 14-15minute mile). I'm pretty sure I could walk faster than that, lol. I'm REALLY hoping my speed picks back up before I have my 6k race at the end of July! I really wanted to finish under 35 minutes.

You did great!! Those slow times will improve quickly. Just keep taking it slow and slower. You'll get there. Way to go!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Today I headed out for a longer run and on the hilliest route around the neighbourhood. It was overcast and threatening to rain, as well as warm. Very muggy!
    I ran 7K in 58:15 in mostly uphill conditions. One hill just about did me in. After a short walk break, I ran another 2K. Total run time was 76:00. The last K was super slow and hard. I was getting quite knackered in the heat/muggy conditions.
    My time is a bit slow; partially due to those hills, partially to the heat......and partially to me (I'm still quite the turtle) but all in all, I'm happy with my run.

Thing I've noticed: according to my GPS watch, I burn fewer calories when I go the hilly routes. In one way, I understand that because the hills slow me down a bit (add about 2-3 minutes onto my usual 5K time). On the other hand, running uphill should burn more calories as it takes more effort, shouldn't it? Therefore the extra time it takes me to run a distance (fewer calories/minute) should be counterbalanced by the extra effort it takes to pull my body weight uphill (more calories/K) and the hills shouldn't slow down my calorie burn.
    Does anyone know whether hills slow down calorie burn on a run(or whether I'm imagining this) and, if so, why?
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Andie, well done on completing your run today in difficult conditions! The heat and humidity will definitely slow you down. And you will probably find that more running, even at a slower pace, will help your 5k time.

Petra, does your GPS watch take into account the change in altitude? You could maybe try a HRM to give you a better idea of calories burned. I've noticed the same thing when out on my bike, it doesn't take into account the extra effort required to cycle uphill, so I wore my HRM a few times to give me a better idea of how much I was burning.
  • TyFit08
    Options

I've been trying to do T25 too, but with running and weight lifting it is really hard to fit it in. I'm starting to struggle with my weight lifting so I think I am going to switch that for T25 for now.

Acidstained, when I was training for my 10k last summer the humidity was in the 90's! And I live in Scotland! Sometimes it felt difficult to breathe so I can imagine it would definitely slow down your running.

Sometimes it is hard to do everything at once, but I have been working out six days a week, running 3 and T25 3. 2 of those 3 T25 days I double up. Since the program is only 25 min, doubling up is difficult, but not impossible. Weight loss is my ultimate goal, so I feel like I have to do both to get the results I want.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Petra, does your GPS watch take into account the change in altitude? You could maybe try a HRM to give you a better idea of calories burned. I've noticed the same thing when out on my bike, it doesn't take into account the extra effort required to cycle uphill, so I wore my HRM a few times to give me a better idea of how much I was burning.

Romy, I assumed it was/could take altitude in stride. Maybe not? I'll check that out. Thanks!

It's been about 7 hours since my run. My quads are aching! The route I took is one I don't take often because it's longer than most of my runs (about 11K total) and it's got so many uphills (which are good for me...yes, but I don't often have that energy after a work day). The heat, mugginess and uphills took their toll. I feel great....just a bit leg achey.

Knowing that I'd have 2 weeks vacation in June and that part of that time would be spent with my step-dad (an avid, avid walker) & that I'd have more opportunity and energy to go for runs, I increased my monthly goal for June from my usual 100-120Km (walking & running combined) to 150Km. I am currently at 147.3Km and can't run on Monday (going to watch a baseball game after work). Looks like a 3K walk is in the plans for me tomorrow. I may try to walk & trot it. :laugh:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Had a good 11-mile run today early in the morning. Averaged 9:22 pace. That's my last run of the month and I finished June with 145 miles total. By far my highest month yet. Now the real marathon training starts!!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Holy crap Tim! That's a lot of miles.... Wow! Well yesterday I bought a pair of pearl izumis 0 drop and then it rained cats and dogs, and I was very hungover, so today I set my alarm for 730am, went out and ran 7 glorious awesome miles. Haven't ran that far since feb when I did the half. I'm a very happy girl right now - shoes were great!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Mega miles Tim!!

Excellent on the run madmiss! :)

Been feeling tight and tiny niggles building all last week as I backed up possibly my biggest week ever of running with one my second or third biggest, 4 hours of horse riding on Saturday and a full day gardening yesterday I threw my programmed run out the window and hit the hills. I'm strange I know. I go to hills/trails for recovery.
    Decided to explore a little and get a better mental map of some of where I run, 7.3 km and nearly an hour later I was back home. Stretched a little and hit the hammies with the oversized tennis ball to loosen up. I think my program will wait a few weeks before I finish out my 3x 60min runs. Trail for the next 2weeks before my Spartan double day. I'll re-*kitten* after that.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I'm strange I know. I go to hills/trails for recovery.

Funny - I do the same thing. When my shins were bothering me I hit the trails.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ROCKED W10 days 1, 2 and 3 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday!! I usually try to do both Saturday and Sunday because that's when I have the most time, and then just double up on rest days on Monday and Tuesday, but I think that's the first time I've managed to pull of 3 successful days in a row :smile: The runs were "walk 5, run 15/walk 1 (3x), walk 5". Sunday, we were visisting my dad and my brother, who's in pretty good shape and fairly active, was there as well and went for my run yesterday morning with me...and couldn't keep up :bigsmile: Made me feel great! So, next run is probably Wednesday and i'll start on W11 which ups the run segments to 17 minutes...I have no fear...honestly seems to just get easier the longer I run...by the last set I feel like I could go forever LOL
  • timeasterday
    Options
    ROCKED W10 days 1, 2 and 3 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday!!

Nice job!!! Keep up the good work!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone completing their monthly distance goals!!

Week 2, Day 3 tonight. Still humid here, but not as bad as it was a couple nights ago. Next week is only an increase of 2 minutes per run segment, so don't think it will be a problem. I bought a safety vest and tonight was the first night I ran with it. I could definitely tell cars could see me from pretty far away, so glad I invested in one.

How often do you replace your running shoes? How do you know when it is time to replace them? When I bought my shoes, the guy at the store told me to replace them every 200-250 miles. I'm getting somewhat close to that, so I'm thinking about getting another pair of the shoes I have now before they are replaced with a "new and improved" version that I won't like as well. :laugh:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone completing their monthly distance goals!!

Week 2, Day 3 tonight. Still humid here, but not as bad as it was a couple nights ago. Next week is only an increase of 2 minutes per run segment, so don't think it will be a problem. I bought a safety vest and tonight was the first night I ran with it. I could definitely tell cars could see me from pretty far away, so glad I invested in one.

How often do you replace your running shoes? How do you know when it is time to replace them? When I bought my shoes, the guy at the store told me to replace them every 200-250 miles. I'm getting somewhat close to that, so I'm thinking about getting another pair of the shoes I have now before they are replaced with a "new and improved" version that I won't like as well. :laugh:

Good work on your progress!
    Regarding the shoes, I'm going to run in mine to they fail/fall apart/or my legs tell me to replace them. My Brooks have done nearly 400miles (Holy Carp, I didn't realise it that much) but I'm not getting any 'new' niggles that couldn't be put down to an increase in miles/time so I'll keep with them.

Doesn't hurt to buy another pair of your shoes if you like them and can afford it. Heck buy 2 pairs and rotate them all!
  • timeasterday
    Options

Usually my knees and/or shins will tell me. When I get achy in my legs that's a good sign they are wearing out. My oldest pair of Brooks Ravenna 4's got up to 270 miles before I had to retire them. When a shoe gets around 150 miles I buy something new and use it for my long runs only. The older shoe gets used for short runs only. And yes, when you find something you like stock up! I bought 2 more pairs of the Ravenna 4's at 65% off. I already have a pair of Ravenna 5's and while they are an improvement, the 4's are still a good shoe and I can't pass up a good deal like that.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've gotten in a couple of runs since I checked in here one pretty decent and one OMG miserable.

Saturday morning I went for a quick 14 mile ride with the local Girl's Bike group. Afterward, I changed into my running gear and headed for the trails. I ended up running about 3 miles and walking another mile (including a jaunt through the local farmer's market.) It was a great morning!

Yesterday, one of my coworkers and I got off work early enough to hit the park for 5 to 10k, day 1. It was 90 degrees with 90% humidity (at least!) Although the run was good, it was miserably hot! Today, when there's probably no chance for me to run, it's a much more comfortable 80 degrees!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Petra my calorie burn is higher with hills, but I do wear a HRM so it knows I'm working harder.

I ran 3.25 miles this morning. It was fine. Weather was perfect for a run (low 60's and overcast with just a bit of a breeze). I'm struggling with pacing right now -- not even looking at my watch; just can't find a pace that feels comfortable.

Looking at the photos taken during my half (none of which were worth paying $25 to download a single digital image) I realized my arms need work - they weren't crossing the center line of my body but they were closer than they should be. In one photo I have a horrible grimace on my face and have the kind of chicken wing arms I strive for when I'm running down a steep hill so I wish I knew what was going on at that moment. The photo is so awful it's spectacular. So on this morning's run I tried to focus more on my arms.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I started Five to 10K last night. I planned to run earlier in the day, but it was so humid. The weather cooled off after the sun went down and I went for it. I got back at 10:30 at night, but I felt good. I even did one of my T25 workouts after. I am doing distance this time around. It took me an hour to do the run, but I covered 4.5 miles. I looked back at last year's stats, and I only covered 3.5 miles in my first Five to 10K run. I will have my work cut out for me doing distance instead of timed, but I will be better and stronger for going this route this time around.