Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi Gayle,

Yes, I live with that accent and we are in an area called the Kawartha Lakes outside of Toronto, Ontario. I lived in Toronto until 5 yrs ago so I am still getting used to rural living but being on the shoreline of a lake is wonderful. Yes, I am busy this time of year. No body wants to brave the weather in the winter and everyone wants to see our leaves in the fall. It all stops in about 10 days when Canadian Thanksgiving is over. Then in 2-3 weeks the ice comes on the lake and we all wait for spring. I am hoping to make some winter activity fun this year but my guy just doesn't like winter. So I will have to think of activities without him.

I am sorry about your job woes. It is really tough when a job shrinks around you. I hope you can work something out and that it turns out better. I will be thinking good thoughts for you. Don't let it throw you off track. You are doing so well.

Hi Marney, yes, I am trying to keep a positive outlook and not let myself fall into despair. I'm back in Onederland, 199.4 today so headed the right direction! Not giving up on reaching my fitness goals--that goodness that is something I some some control of! Know I will resolve my financial issues by the new year. Hard to know what direction to go as a senior but will get it worked out.
  • xxevey71
    Options
    Hi there, My name is Evey and I am 64. I liked the look of the group in that it was goal setting , which seems a good idea. I have no idea what I will do for my first goal but I will think about it after my first week here. Where is everyone from here. Nice to met you all.
    Kind regards :)
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi Guys, here are my Friday stats:
    Start--207
    Sept. 5--205.6
    Sept 12--203
    Sept 19--202.8
    Sept 26--200.9
    Oct. 3rd--199.2

Although I bump around during the week it seems the scale is continuing on down. I've lost 7.8 since our 15 pound challenge started. In terms of my goals related to exercise, I'm striving to be more active although my swimming and senior yoga have not yet been started. I've walked once this week and plan to walk today. I'm doing one 500 - 600 calorie "fast" in the spirit of the 5:2 diet a week. My fast day is currently Mondays or Tuesdays. Trying to eat mostly healthy food although yesterday I had a 500 calorie pumpkin muffin and a non-fat latte for lunch. Hmmm, not going to be a daily thing, lol. But stayed within my calorie range and that's what counts. If I counted correctly we have 12 more Friday weigh-ins before the new year so plenty of time for us all to reach our 15 pound (or better) goal. Know we have Halloween, Thanksgiving and holiday treats as challenges to our goals in the coming months but know we can do it! Persistence and Moderation are important keys!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi there, My name is Evey and I am 64. I liked the look of the group in that it was goal setting , which seems a good idea. I have no idea what I will do for my first goal but I will think about it after my first week here. Where is everyone from here. Nice to met you all.

Hi Evey! We currently have 3 people active in a 15 pound (or better) weight loss challenge that started August 29th and goes until the first Friday in the new year. You can look through the thread and see that Mary (merrygrandma) and Marney (Dasher) and I have posted our weight each Friday along with our previous weights. Everyone sets their own additionally weekly or on-going goals in terms of exercise, etc. You can friend us if you wish, then we will cheer you on as you login, weigh in and exercise. Just be clear about your personal goals and we will be behind you.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Evey! We're glad you joined us.I'll be 68 this month and i'm from Ky.What with the holidays coming up we all need inspiration and motivation.We're in this together and we know we can do this!!
    Mary
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Start--207
    Sept. 5--205.6
    Sept 12--203
    Sept 19--202.8
    Sept 26--200.9
    Oct. 3rd--199.2

Although I bump around during the week it seems the scale is continuing on down. I've lost 7.8 since our 15 pound challenge started. In terms of my goals related to exercise, I'm striving to be more active although my swimming and senior yoga have not yet been started. I've walked once this week and plan to walk today. I'm doing one 500 - 600 calorie "fast" in the spirit of the 5:2 diet a week. My fast day is currently Mondays or Tuesdays. Trying to eat mostly healthy food although yesterday I had a 500 calorie pumpkin muffin and a non-fat latte for lunch. Hmmm, not going to be a daily thing, lol. But stayed within my calorie range and that's what counts. If I counted correctly we have 12 more Friday weigh-ins before the new year so plenty of time for us all to reach our 15 pound (or better) goal. Know we have Halloween, Thanksgiving and holiday treats as challenges to our goals in the coming months but know we can do it! Persistence and Moderation are important keys!
    Doing awesome!One muffin and latte,although not the best choice,is now behind you.We all have days like that but we know we'll always get back on track.So proud of your weight loss.Keep it up!
    Mary
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    September 19, 2014 7:29 AMStarted this challenge at 171.5
    Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss
    Sept 18-166. 1 lb loss
    Sept 27-166 0lbs lost
    Oct 3-165 1 lb loss
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss
    Sept 18-166. 1 lb loss
    Sept 27-166 0lbs lost
    Oct 3-165 1 lb loss

Good for you Mary!!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    sorry to be absent for weigh in - trouble with the internet were I am staying.

another lb down this week to 167.5 despite turkey dinner. Mary, I am trying to catch up but you are always ahead! Good for you! And Gayle, solidly in onerland and never to leave it again. Well done.

Welcome Evey. Let us know what your goals are and this group will cheer you on. My family event week is drawing to an end with only one more gathering around food. I am surprised that I am losing despite my turkey dinner and lunch out but walking is helping a lot as well as the 80/20 rule. Most of the time, I am doing well watching what I eat, 20 percentage is celebratory this week. But I am managing to both enjoy and to lose.

Glad to see we all achieve our goals despite various challenges both good and bad. Onwards and downwards!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    sorry to be absent for weigh in - trouble with the internet were I am staying.

another lb down this week to 167.5 despite turkey dinner. Mary, I am trying to catch up but you are always ahead! Good for you! And Gayle, solidly in onerland and never to leave it again. Well done.

Welcome Evey. Let us know what your goals are and this group will cheer you on. My family event week is drawing to an end with only one more gathering around food. I am surprised that I am losing despite my turkey dinner and lunch out but walking is helping a lot as well as the 80/20 rule. Most of the time, I am doing well watching what I eat, 20 percentage is celebratory this week. But I am managing to both enjoy and to lose.

Glad to see we all achieve our goals despite various challenges both good and bad. Onwards and downwards!

A pound down despite the family time--so great! I think you have found the key with 80/20. Onwards and downwards indeed!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    This new format is a little hard to get used to! Thanks for the encouragement, Gayle. I have found this week a struggle but I am at least mindful.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    I miss the tickers, they were kind of fun and motivational. This is less attractive in my book but now can attach a file or picture so that's an improvement I guess. Ate most of my favorite foods today. Let's see how the scale likes me tomorrow.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hey guys, the upgrade distorted our profile picture so much that I deleted it. I could not find a "senior challenge" appropriate picture I liked. If anyone finds one please share!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I don't like this new format either. Miss the tickers.
    Weighed in this morning and down .5 to 167
    I liked my pound a week drop but with the family time and being away etc I guess .5 isn't too bad.
    One more family weekend starting tonight (got home yesterday) Canadian Thanksgiving.
    This time it is one last visit for the year with my brother from the states and nieces and nephews. Love seeing them but I do wish it was spaced out more!
    Off for my walk!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Good job Marney! Your consistency with exercise and "watching it" is paying off despite family events and the related food! Darn, I have to wait until the end of November for Thanksgiving!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Start--207
    Sept. 5--205.6
    Sept 12--203
    Sept 19--202.8
    Sept 26--200.9
    Oct. 3rd--199.2
    Oct. 10th-198
    :)
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    69227731.png
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    OMG, it worked. Not automatic but I can copy/past the BBCCode of my ticker into my posts. Was able to re-create my ticker on my profile page.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss
    Sept 18-166. 1 lb loss
    Sept 27-166 0lbs lost
    Oct 3-165 1 lb loss
    Oct 10-164 1lb loss
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Wow Mary! I'm not the best at math but looks like 7.5 pounds lost since the challenge started! Fantastic! You are currently at my "goal weight". What is the weight you are going for?