Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran the Michelob Ultra 13.1 race and had a good time while enjoying the cold weather. It was around 50°F at race start but very windy. It took a couple of miles to feel warm. I wasn't trying to "race" this one, just seeing how it felt to run my goal marathon pace of 8:47/mile. The course was pretty hilly but I managed to finish in 1:55 with an average pace of 8:49/mile. And I felt good after the race besides a sour stomach. I should not have been drinking the Powerade on the course. Not like I was sweating much. I wasn't even in the mood for the free beer! We jogged back to a doughnut shop where we parked the car and treated ourselves.

Today we did a short 4-mile recovery run on a nearby trail. Even colder this morning - we had to break out the long sleeves & gloves. This week was a low-mileage week, only 36 miles. The next 3 weeks build up and up until I begin my 2-week taper for the marathon.

I'm happy you're so fit! I remember the frustrations of last year - it was definitely worth stepping back and getting stronger for this year.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hill session done yesterday, 5 miles with 2 miles up and down a 5-6% incline. I never get into a groove, it is only 5 repeats but after the first I count them all off, rather than embracing them. Just avoided the rain as well, bonus. This morning was really foggy, went for an easy 3 miles, pushed the pace too much, HR up 5 bpm above where I really wanted it but it felt good, so went with it. A 4 miler tomorrow then a days rest on Friday. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves, I am impressed that I am continuing in the cold and dark. Have fun
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran 8K (4x 2K) in an attempt to run more miles. I started out around 7:30/Km (12 minute mile) and ended up at around 8:00/Km (13 minute mile). My total run time was 61:50, which I thought was darn good. The last kilometer was hard but the rest went rather well.
    I had started out with intentions of running 5x 2K but underestimated the running route and wound up back home by 8K. I was tired, though, so I'm not sure whether I could have made another 2K so I'm not disappointed. On my next attempt at a longer run I'll go for the 10K.
    My intention is to run the 2K segments a few times, then increase to 3K segments, 4K, etc. until I can run 10K without stopping to walk.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No running lately because of a medical procedure yesterday, but I will share my NSV here. Yesterday while I was connected to a machine monitoring my vitals, the alarm kept going off because my resting heart rate was below 50. Everyone who came through commented about how that happens to fit people or asked me if I exercise a lot. Two years ago, my resting heart rate was closer to 100!

Hoping that by commenting on this, I'll be able to find it again easier since group bookmarks don't seem to be working with the forum update!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you're so fit! I remember the frustrations of last year - it was definitely worth stepping back and getting stronger for this year.

Thanks! Still going through some frustration now but not as bad as last year. This week it feels like everything hurts and I'm not sure why. Too expensive to keep going back to the doctor. I just need to get through this marathon and then take a break. Gotta think about what I want to do next. At one point I was all hyped to qualify for Boston someday but now not so much. The training it would take to get me down to the qualifying time would probably be more than I can mentally handle. Slowing things down with some ultra running sounds appealing.

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Another easy recovery run. It was hot and humid last night, but it ended up being a really good run. I think I'm going to go for 30 minutes straight on the weekend and then start bumping up the miles until I'm back where I was. I was doing 12 minute miles, which was a bump up from my usual 13.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ran with Cass from work yesterday- 5 to 10k, w1d2 at her pace. We got in 4 miles total. I love these easy runs with her!

25492938.png
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    4 miler done this morning, HR a lot lower and I thought I was going very slow. However it turned out to be a standard easy pace run, just with low HR. Just finished dinner tonight, 21st wedding anniversary, looking forward to no running tomorrow and getting some rest. Too much wine tonight!! Have fun all
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Nice bicycle ride yesterday, partly in the rain. It's storming today and probably tomorrow. I leave on Sunday for vacation, so not sure how much I'll be able to run. (Not taking the bike with me :cry: )
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, have a great vacation, do what you feel like doing, rests are important. Have fun
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Easy run done this morning and it felt easy. I looked back at similar runs from 2 months ago, for similar paces, the HR is now lower, 143-145 now down to 134-136. Something is definitely working. Looking forward to the long run tomorrow, 1st time for a 7 mile continuous piece, will see whether I am so enthused after finishing that!! Have fun over your weekend.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    You will do fine Robbie, just have fun with it!

I did a killer spin class this morning, too wet and nasty outside to do anything else. I am taking my running gear with me on vacation, hoping to get at least one run around the National Mall in DC while I'm there!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Ceci, have a great vacation. I hope you get that run in and tell us about it.
    Robbie, good news on the HR going down. I don't have a HR monitor and can only go by "feel" but an easy run does feel like the HR is much lower than it used to be for me, too. I've wondered/thought of this before that running is a fun, great way to increase cardiovascular function.

I held off going for a run this morning. It's raining and is supposed to ease off by this afternoon. I'm hoping they do so that I can get outside. If the rains don't stop, I may be using the treadmill for the first time this fall.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    The sun came out this afternoon! I backed the right horse. LOL! I had a nice run along the river; 5K in 37:45
    Went to the Running Room today to ask about my shoes. I'd bought a pair 1/2 size larger than normal for the width. They feel comfortable but since getting them, my legs have felt heavy and my toes sometimes feel weird. I noticed that when I put the shoes on, the toe box feels large around my toes but when I run, my toes are at the end of the toe box...so my feet are sliding forward, it seems. I laced them up tighter and my right foot started to numb (that went away when I loosened the shoes).
    The lady in the store showed me a way of tying the shoes (cinch knot?) that supposedly keeps the foot more stable and secure around the ankle. I tried it today and my legs felt better. I'm not sure if it was luck or if the knotting really helped. Time will tell.
    I did notice that my foot didn't slip forward as much (good) but that my right heel slightly lifts (bad). Ugh. This will teach me not to size up. No more of that. If the width isn't right, the shoe isn't right.
    I'll keep trying them out for another few weeks to see if the new knotting works. If not, I may just bite the bullet for a new pair of shoes and use these on the treadmill over the winter.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I am incredibly lucky, I read about shoe issues and never had any, I have some Reebok sublite duo's and I love them, I have 3 pairs, 2 on rotation, one pair with 100 more km than the other and a pair in a box for the HM next year. Got last years model via a discounter.

7 miler done this morning, HR up at 140 average rather than the 135 I had targeted, it was long and somewhat hard work. It did not flow, but it didn't feel bad. Very cold morning with a fair amount of fog, so went out wrapped up including a snood. I compared this to a run/walk session I did 6 weeks ago on the same route, 4 mins faster today but average HR 2bpm higher, so not much in it. Followed it up with 90 mins reffing this morning, so legs feel pretty shot at the moment.

Hope you are enjoying your weekends and for those with footwear issues, I hope they get sorted soon. Have fun
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Finally signed up for an organised 10k event in support of prostate cancer (Morunner Nottingham). I was advised to attend a mass participation event ahead of the HM in the new year, so given that it is 10 mins walk away I could hardly miss it. See how this goes, the advantage is that I know the course as I have run various bits of it. There is one section I avoid as it it is uneven underfoot, but otherwise it should be a fun hour.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Its great you can see an improvement in your running through your HR Robbie, I don't wear my HRM when running but it might be something I try over the winter. And I hope you enjoy your 10k race! I hated my first one but loved my second, I guess I knew what was in store for me second time round and trained better.

I hope you get your shoe issue sorted out Petra. I have problems with running shoes, they are always too narrow, but I don't have wide feet, I have high arches so buying wide shoes doesn't work. I have to lace them up in a certain way to get them to fit. I would advise against tying them tighter, I have a habit of doing that even though I try not to, and have tendonitis on top of my foot.

I am still trying to get back on track with my eating and exercising. I promised myself I would concentrate more on strength training over the winter and do a maintenance running program. I am hoping to start on Monday.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Been a while since I updated and I can't remember my last update, so I'll just do my last 2 runs.
    Saturday was parkrun day, which due to life interferences was also make up distance for the week day. It didn't start well with my Land Cruiser throwing the alternator belt less than 1km from home as I headed off. Turn around and swap vehicles.
    Get to parkrun still early, though not quite as early as planned and head off on some exploration to begin the making up of weekly km's. A nice easy 6.2km jog along trails by the river. Saw the side to society that I hate to admit exists, with 1 bed for a homeless person or people, and someone probably asleep in the bushes. I did manage to sprain/jar/twist BOTH ankles whilst I was out due entirely to inattention. Fortunately both were ok'ish after a few minutes. Finished the exploration by catching up with a fellow parkrunner doing the start of a freedom run lap of the course, which was interrupted by the RD arriving to set up. Helped with the setup and chatted for a bit before parkrun started.
    Headed out with everyone as you do, and rather quickly tagged onto a pair of people running together. One is much faster than I, the other about 15 seconds faster. The lady realised I was drafting them about 1km in, the guy didn't realise until we were a good 3k in. Apparently I am something of a ninja runner!.
    We stuck together until about the last 750m-1km at which point I pushed on. The guy caught me quickly and I played chasey for the last few hundred metres as he tried to pull away. He beat me, but dragged me in to a new PB!!. 22:25 whoooo HOOOO!!!!!. Last 500m was done at silly pace, so with better pacing I believe I can do faster, especially as most of the run was just beyond comfortably hard.

Fast forward to tonight's 15k. It was meant to be my long/easy run. It was my long run but definitely not easy even though I was averaging somewhere in the 6:15-6:30 pace, I think I'm still carrying some fatigue in my legs from Saturday
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Today's run was great. I ran a total of 8K (2x 2.5K; 1x 2K and 1x 1K) with 1 minute walks in between. My total run time was 60:45, almost 1 minute faster than last week's 8K run (4x 2K).
    My feet and legs feel good. This is the second run since learning to tie the new knot and both runs have been great on the legs and feet. Seems like this "cinch" knot is keeping my feet from slipping in my shoes and that seems to have been the cause for the sore, heavy, overworked feeling I've been having in my legs.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I'm gone for a couple of days and nobody is posting?! :wink:

5k from my brother's house down a country road this afternoon, probably my fastest so far- 30:20, 9:46 pace. The route was flat.