NSVs/Positive Changes

Options
Hi yall! Just wondering what positive non-scale changes you've seen/felt since starting 5:2. I am still in disbelief that I am 11 weeks into this way of eating and feeling strong and confident. I have NEVER been 11 weeks into anything lol!

Positive changes I've seen:

1- No more over-whelming feeling. Eating XXXX amount of calories everyday for the REST OF MY LIFE was so over-whelming. A big chunk of that was depression and anxiety that make it hard to get through JUST today, let alone FOREVER. It's amazing how my outlook has changed and how I feel empowered thanks to the flexibility of the diet. I can look forward to the weekend and not feel like I have to be "bad" to enjoy holidays or eating out.

2- Tracking is empowering. As a binger, I would hate to look at how many calories I ate in a day. Now, I feel like I'm taking back control by tracking. I look forward to planning out my day or pre-tracking when I know something is coming up. I just tracked a going-away pizza lunch for a co-worker two weeks out...crazy change!

3- Creating a new, positive relationship with food. I cannot remember the last time I ate without bingeing/eating more than I need or super-restricting before this diet. I am learning how to eat within my "means"/my TDEE on my normal days. I am shocked I have so many calories to eat.
I have no urge to binge since nothing is off-limits. I can eat things I'm craving on my normal days and fit it into my calorie goal. Food is a good thing...not something to use to punish myself by bingeing when I feel out-of-control and making myself feel over-stuffed and gross or use to restrict and feel deprived. Now it's a tool...and not as emotionally tied to my feelings.

Thanks for the support of the group!

Please share your NSVs/positive changes so we can all cheer ya on!

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I too am excited to be sticking with something for...well...7 weeks now. That has never happened. I have also been able to stick to every fast day eating between 500-600. Before trying this I would try to remain below 1400 every day, but always going over. So that has been a big test on my willpower. Although I know I could be loads better on my non-fast days, I know that too will come. Oh and my trouser feel looser too ;)
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yay Snaps!!! That's fantastic!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great thread Carbmonster.

Here are my positive changes:
    * I have lost a little bit of weight each week. Before 5:2 I always hit a plateau which can be very discouraging. So far after 6 weeks I am still losing.
    * Food isn't as big of a deal as it was before. It is as if the fasting helps put food in perspective - I don't need to eat like I think I do. The fasting shows me I have more self-control than I think I do.
    * I love that I can relax on the NFD days and not have to worry that I am going over. I think I would do better if I would track my food but it is nice to eat what I want (in moderation) and not be concerned about each calorie.
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I can't talk about "all" of the things in my life that have changed for the better...not in a public forum. Being so large I've had to deal with some things that probably haven't even crossed most of your minds (no one to blame but myself). One of the things that prompted me to finally take action (sorry...this is about to get a bit macabre) was the fear that I would die and I wouldn't be found for days. As some of you may know, my family is living in Europe at the moment and I'm keeping things humming here in the states. Plus I work from home, and I've been keeping my nose to the grindstone so to speak...so, very little social life (my kids and wife were most of it). However, I do interact with people, but not always on a daily basis. Anyway, that combined with the fact that younger people in better shape (than I) keep dying (or coming close to it...heart attacks, strokes, embolisms, etc.) gave me this excessively visceral dread; sometimes to the point of waking up in the middle of the night with my heart thumping out of my chest. Those "wake-ups" still happen from time to time (hey, it's only been 2 and a half months), but it's been easier to calm myself by rationalizing that "at least now" I'm doing something about it.

Ok, now for some happy thoughts...
    - My feet don't hurt "as much" when I get out of bed in the morning. I expect when I get close to 100 lbs lost this will improve exponentially.
    - I've only started to take some measurements, but I've definitely lost some inches...and it doesn't appear that I've lost any muscle mass; I still feel "strong...like bull!"
    - I no longer have to drive my truck with my belly (yeah, I bet that's one you weren't expecting), seat's still all the way back, but there's a couple inches to spare now...no more wearing holes in my shirts.
    - When it comes to food I don't have the same guilt I used to; I still feel the "looks" when I eat out, but I used to just take what those people were giving, now I project it back and enjoy my meal. It's because I know, with absolute certainty, that I can enjoy "that" while still losing "this". I CAN still have my love affair with food...but now it's a healthier relationship, without all of those negative feelings attached.

Funny how you go into a post thinking your going to hit on a couple of things and a "novella" flows out. Good query there Carb-ster.
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    Yay jknight! I feel the same about how it's changing my mindset on food for the better! I totally agree about finally being able to relax on normal days. I never would let myself just enjoy food without thinking it's totally screwing up my diet or tying a negative emotion to it. The normal days are like a tool now- not just to get used to eating only what my body needs (versus bingeing), but also to help kick my metabolism in the butt after fast days.

Love your NSV's!
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    Orlcam...I feel like I wrote that!!! I used to wake up with the same dread and fear. I have been blessed with good health (no blood pressure issues, no diabetes, etc...though they do run in my family), but it didn't take away that ticking-clock feeling that would have me waking up scared.

My mom, sister, and I are all overweight...150 pounds plus...so I definitely feel the same about judging eyes...yet I've always found it was in my head or me projecting those feelings onto other people. I love how you are changing your mindset on food and allowing yourself to enjoy it and changing it into a healthy relationship vs a co-dependent one haha!

Now, everytime I see you on here, I am going to get "strong...like bull" stuck in my head haha. Too bad they don't have signatures in MFP forums cause that would be a good one haha!

Thanks for sharing guys!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    When I ran my 50th parkrun I wrote "Get out, Strong, Commit" on my hand, copying one of the sprinters in the Olympic games. It's a good motto!

The main positives I notice about 5:2 are - I sleep really well, my digestive system works well, and I dont have the smae cravings for chocltae that I used to have. Also, I'm enjoying being creative with recipes.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see everyone here supporting each other. It make me feel so positive! So I guess that is a NSV for me too, being positive about my 'diet'...although I don't really see this as a diet but a new lifestyle.

Orlcam and Carbmonster...I was so great reading what you wrote. Growing up I was always overweight, my biggest being 230lbs. My mom and my sister also are overweight and I always saw them struggling (still do, but now from a far...there in US and I'm in UK). My mom has type 2 diabetes and my sister has about 250 to loose (I just wish she would try 5:2). I am hoping that if I can make a success for this diet they they both will give it a go.

I will be here to support to the end and beyond probably.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Great theme, Carb! And interesting sharing from all of you. Weight is such a personal thing. And all that shame, blame and guilt DOESN'T WORK as motivator for change. Rather the opposite and a vicious circle.

To me, my wake up call was that I was approaching obese range in BMI and it seemed like nothing could change that slow gaining. Bending down to tie shoe laces and feeling my belly getting in the way, was also a reminder that I had to do something.

Frankly, I was at my wits and almost given up before I started the 5:2. Because it seemed to me nothing worked. So the biggest NSV for me is that I'm soooo grateful for finding an eating protocol that works. Changing my whole attitude of what dieting can be. Now I look at it like a puzzle. A competition with myself in how to most efficiently solve the puzzle of balancing out: intake, workouts, enjoying some snacks, rest/prevent injury = sustainable weight loss.

Tracking the net average in a spreadsheet, not only forced me to learn how to spreadsheet. It gives me cruise control over my numbers, ergo let me train portion control. I can snack guilt free, because I already know if that is within my daily quota. It's hard to only have 4 of those intensely yummy fruit candies, but they are very worth it cause I make myself earn those snacks now. Instead of just buying and eating. This is giving me great hope, not only for my weight loss journey, but also hope for staying in maintenance when that time comes:)
  • jknight001
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Come to think of it, Orlcam, your fear is shared by a lot of us. For me, we adopted our one and only child when I was 47. I am always, in the back of my mind, so aware that my health determines my longevity. I don't want to die before my son is able to take care of himself and I would love to hold my first grandchild (and the ones after that will be delicious icing on the cake, no pun intended ;) ) Nathanael is a big motivation for me to keep my BMI in the healthy range.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @Foamroller - so beautifully put!
  • orlcam
    Options
    Damn...we're all human...who woulda thunk it?!

I appreciate the words people, thank you for the meaningful connection.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing this too long but my biggest NSV now is just - no more binging. I do feel that over powerful ZAMG I'M HUNGRY AND NEED TO EAT EVERYTHING RIGHT MEOW! The fasting days have just really helped with my hunger.
  • orlcam
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OK, just taking a short break from the seriousness, but still looking to keep it "human"...I want to share a little something else...ya'know, since we're sharing...

WARNING: If you can't handle old-school rap or the total infiltration, manipulation, and destruction of a classical orchestra (and the sanctity therein) then please stop reading and skip to the next post.

Some of you may have seen my profile and the "I like big butts..." comment (hopefully no one was put off by this), but I never really explained what that's all about. While, yes, I do like big butts... it really is a "nod" to something (actually someone) I found pretty inspirational...yup, I can find inspiration in the oddest of places...

Just keep your eye on the woman in the black dress:
    youtube.com/watch?v=w59e20ijOpE

I find this type of confidence totally intoxicating...if I wasn't happily married I would move to Seattle and seek out (stalk?) this incredible woman! Ummm, if I was 15 years younger (maybe 10).

If you're looking for more, here's her interview:
    usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2014/06/10/10277169/

Just to clarify: yes, my wife has a big beautiful butt, and can still wield her confidence with deadly accuracy...so the lady in the black dress has nothing to worry about...from me.

...just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N. (David Wooderson)
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    NSV: Having TONS of energy the day after a fast day. I love it. It's pretty much the only days I get up on time lol
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @orlcam, I don't even have to watch the video to know which one it is haha! I'm not sure I'll ever reach that level, but I'm hoping for a least a glimmer of the confidence that chick has going on lol.

@AlyssaJoJo! Totally feel the same! I look back at a year ago, or just a few months ago, and I was stuffing myself silly for no good reason. Not because I was hungry, but because I was food hoarding...I seriously belonged on Hoarders! I would get anxious that one milkshake wouldn't be enough so I couldn't just get one. I would get two (sometimes more...ugh, hard to admit) to keep in the freezer and would eventually eat the same night. Even right before starting 5:2 I was hitting the drive-thru in the morning. It started off my day in the worst way! After eating, I would immediately start thinking of "what's for lunch?" and then, of course, dinner, too. I was never really hungry, but it would start to become all-encompassing. Things I've learned- I'm not even hungry in the morning. If I don't start off my day by stuffing my face unneccessarily, I'm not even hungry until after lunchtime. It's such a mental battle, and the fasting days help encourage me to actually listen to my REAL hunger and eat what I need vs want.
  • thecarbmonster
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @jknight001, that's so beautiful :) Healthy you is definitely a gift to your son as well as all the others who love you!
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @Foamroller, I work in excel all day and my co-worker and I are always tinkering on our weight loss spreadsheets haha! Instead of ignoring problems or pretending they aren't there or finding the source of the situation I'm in, I am starting to love looking it right in the face. I'm even getting into super-micro-managing my expenses/budget haha. Before I would probably spend half my paycheck on Amazon without even knowing it. But, oh, that Amazon Prime is addictive!!!
  • thecarbmonster
    Options
    @melaniecheeks- you are so inspiring! I'll write your name on my hand haha.
    -
    - @snaps27- definitely agree on the mindset change of this being something "positive" instead of a noose around my neck. It's crazy that I am actually still enjoying this 11 weeks in...but I think a lot of it has to do with this group as well! Knowing everyone is here everyday is a great support!
  • jknight001
    Options
    I look back at a year ago, or just a few months ago, and I was stuffing myself silly for no good reason. Not because I was hungry, but because I was food hoarding...I seriously belonged on Hoarders!

Someone helped me to see how I related to food in a way that was a total game changer. For my whole life, I thought my issues with food had to do with lack of self control - if I could just have enough self-control I would be able to resist the temptation to overeat. Then I was listening to someone talk about how she had three boys (two on the autism spectrum). Her husband traveled a lot so she was often the only parent home with the boys. At the end of the day, when the boys were in bed, she would turn on the TV and have a piece of pie just to relax. One piece grew into two pieces then into three pieces, etc. until she had gained quite a bit of weight (boy, do I know this story). As she began to look at her issues with food she realized she was looking for comfort in TV and food. That was such an eye opener for me because I realized that is true for me!

For me, trying to have more self-control around food was like taking aspirin for a broken leg. It helps but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. Now I am asking myself, do I need to eat because I am hungry or am I just looking for comfort? And if I am looking for comfort do I need to rest, read, call a friend? Now I am working toward not beating myself up over lack of self-control and instead coming up with solutions that work.