jamielynnmobile wrote: »
    Week 4

Beginner/Beth

Cardio--44/100
    Strength--0/55
    Calories--Yes
    Character Challenge--No
    Punishment--No

Work/Life/Sick hubby got in the way this week. Sorry Team. Next week will be back to normal ( I hope...)

I too would like to give my overages to our teammate above...

You guys are supersweet! Thank you so much! I will try really hard to have some extra that I can donate back to our team this week. GO BEGINNERS!! :awesome:
  • julebg79
    julebg79 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hmm, introspective challenge this week. I like it. I'll start.

Eugene: plan to try something soon that would usually intimidate you and share what that is with your team.

So... I think I'm going to go with swimming laps once a week. I'm not the strongest swimmer, but I can get back and forth in the pool...and I know its really good for you, especially in the cross-training sense of things...but to be quite honest, i'm self conscious about the lifeguards seeing what a dopey swimmer I am, and also about being in my bathing suit to exercise, because a deep little voice in my head says "you're to fat to look good exercising, people will just laugh at you." And yes, I know that is completely irrational, but there you have it anyway. So, getting over some body image issues to don a bathing suit and exercise in the pool more regularly. That is my self-challenge. Actually, my family and I went to the pool for the first time yesterday (we recently joined the YMCA), and all these thoughts were going through my head, so this a timely challenge!

Abraham: being on a mission helped him stay focused and it literally saved his life. Share with your team what your mission is. What keeps you motivated to work towards a more fit self?

So, like many on here, I imagine my mission is similar. Lose weight, be more fit, develop a more positive body image and self confidence. I have struggled with weight my entire life (was 230 in high school and have yoyo'ed my entire adult life between 150 and 240). I am lucky that it hasn't seemed to affect my overall health measures yet (blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc), but I'm not getting any younger (at 35) and I know it is a matter of time. I also want to stop the yoyo. I want to lose this weight and STAY there this time.

I have two beautiful little girls (4yr old and 2 yr old), and I want to be around to enjoy them as long as I possibly can, and I also want to set an example of physical fitness and positive body image for them. It is my goal to make choices for my family to keep us all healthy, so that my girls will hopefully will not have to go through some of the same things that I did growing up as a heavy kid. My mission is also to bring my husband (37 yr old) into this venture, because he DOES have high cholesterol, and I worry so much about that, and want all of us to live long and happily together!
  • hummerjl
    hummerjl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Player Challenge!
    1. Be like Tara: take the time to encourage a friend or a stranger on their fitness journey. Done! (Encouraged a coworker)
    2. Be like Eugene: plan to try something soon that would usually intimidate you and share what that is with your team. I hate bootcamp classes, because I usually can't make it through the whole thing...But I will plan to go to one at my gym this week.
    3. Be like Abraham: being on a mission helped him stay focused and it literally saved his life. Share with your team what your mission is. What keeps you motivated to work towards a more fit self? As pretty much everyone on here probably would agree to some degree, my mission is to be healthier and get fit. My wedding is in 10 months, so I really want to get on a fitness plan I can stick to beyond that date. I've always been on a roller coaster as far as fitness goes, but I plan to make permanent changes this go-around.

(On another note, I've slacked on keeping up with Planksgiving over the weekend...looks like I have some planking waiting for me at home tonight!) :smile:

Have a great week everyone!
  • Bmercy21
    Bmercy21 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Player Challenge!
    1. Be like Tara: take the time to encourage a friend or a stranger on their fitness journey.
    I have encouraged my love to go back to the gym when we get back from vacation because he needs to be healthy for our daughter!
    2. Be like Eugene: plan to try something soon that would usually intimidate you and share what that is with your team.
    So I would love to run but I for some reason when I try after two seconds i feel I need to stop. I know I am more fit now than I have been in a long time but I psych myself out. I think everyone is looking at me or I can't breathe and what not but when I get back from vacation I will try C25K!
    3. Be like Abraham: being on a mission helped him stay focused and it literally saved his life. Share with your team what your mission is. What keeps you motivated to work towards a more fit self?
    So what started about looks and being "skinny" turned into just being healthy and alive for my daughter! Although I am now where I was in high school and more confident and happy just having low numbers for my blood work is what makes me happy! My dad died at 51 of a heart attack he ate healthy And all but stress was the killer and his family genes (die at a young age) didn't help. But when I had my daughter my whole perspective on life changed so my mission is to be a healthy mom❤️
  • AnutChelle
    AnutChelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Player Challenge
    1. Tara - Done
    2. Eugene - I have always wanted to try brussel sprouts but didn't want to spend money on something I might not like, besides the fact that I am both intrigued by it and repelled. I plan on giving it a try this weekend.
    3. Abraham - I am just tired of feeling bad all the time. I feel so much better when I eat right. I also have a better outlook on life and tend to be more engaged in my family's lives. I also want to get off my medicines (1 (blood pressure) being weaned off now, 1 (cholesterol) to go). Also, all my cute clothes are too small for me.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1. Be like Tara: take the time to encourage a friend or a stranger on their fitness journey.
    I encourage all my friends on MFP by commenting on their posts! I also encouraged my boyfriend today, who is down 15lbs for the past week and a half!
    2. Be like Eugene: plan to try something soon that would usually intimidate you and share what that is with your team.
    I'm not a huge veggie fan, but since I've been on this new lifestyle, I've learned to love carrots. Now, this week, I'm going to try cucumbers and zucchini!
    3. Be like Abraham: being on a mission helped him stay focused and it literally saved his life. Share with your team what your mission is. What keeps you motivated to work towards a more fit self?
    My mission is to trim down my love handles. I think I'm at a decent weight, so my goal is to stay at this weight, too. My motivation is vacation every January!
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

My Friends Daughter has re-joined this site after 2 years. I am letting her know I am here if she needs me and that she CAN do it. I know she is miserable, and feel that the extra oomph will help her realize she can do this without having to give up everything she loves - which she seems to believe....

I will push myself to DO all the strength training WITHOUT relying on my BF to make me do it. I seriously HATE weights... but I know I need them. so that will be my Eugene Moment...

Well, I have said I will do something in the past, and not have it be an everyday thing. I joined the gym a year ago, and went MAYBE a whopping 12 times. Hated it (see weights above) and the classes I did like, like Zumba were SO jam packed, you couldn't move - and the other classes I wanted to do were at times I couldn't make etc.. etc.. so, THIS time, I decided enough is enough. I WILL lose weight (because I hate the way I look naked, and I hate the things that jiggle and because I am NOT happy and feel myself slipping into a bad place) I will do it because having quit smoking (2 years on November 19) and not looked back so I feel more confident I can do this too. 13 pounds down... another 15 to go before I re-evaluate.
  • jamielynnmobile
    jamielynnmobile Posts: 68 Member
    Options

My best friend wanted to lose 15 pounds, so I introduced him to juicing and MFP and Since September, he's down 10 pounds :)

Well, I can think of 2 things. One is that I want to start running again very soon, like maybe this week, but it's been almost 7 months since I last ran and I was in a lot of pain, so it does scare me to start back up because I am afraid that injury will come back. Second, my best friend wants to get back into rock climbing and I am considering trying it out, but I don't actually think I will be able to do it (b/c I have a nerve syndrome in my left arm, making me unable to put weight on that wrist/hand, and it randomly goes numb, loses grip completely, feels like my joints are made of crushed glass, etc.) BUT I would be totally willing to give it a shot! (Even though I HATE heights!)

My mission is to find balance between social/family life (which often revolves around food and TV/movies), work (on my butt for 9.5 hours a day with commute), and good diet & fitness practices. What keeps me motivated? This might sound weird, but...ME. I used to be in rad shape a couple of years ago, but moving across the county, finishing school, moving again, changing jobs 3 times, etc. has really changed up my priorities and I so many competing interests for my limited time that spending 1-1.5 hours on fitness (including shower time) a day has been impossible if I don't want to feel like I am rushing around every moment of every day. I know I can't go back to the days of hour-long gym sessions and working on my feet, but I want to find something that works for my life now and will at least afford me the ability to wear a bathing suit in the summer (happened once this year).

• jamielynnmobile
    jamielynnmobile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    AnutChelle wrote: »
    Player Challenge
    2. Eugene - I have always wanted to try brussel sprouts but didn't want to spend money on something I might not like, besides the fact that I am both intrigued by it and repelled. I plan on giving it a try this weekend.

Brussels sprouts are SO GOOD!! I tried them for the first time about 2 years ago (I am in my 30s BTW), and there was always such a stigma around them being yucky that I was amazed to find out that they are absolutely delicious! I was always a hater of vegetables, but I find that now there are days when I seek out Brussels sprouts because I actually crave them! Good luck, I hope you like them!
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts are awesome! Even my granddaugher loves them. Of course, it's all in how you prepare them. Our favorite is quartering them, drizzeling with EVOO & Parm cheese and roasting. My MIL will only boil them - they're not so bueno that way! I've heard they're pretty easy to grow, might try that in the garden next year.

On another note - Plansgiving is getting really tough, but I'm sure feeling it in my arms!

• CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I checked in with a friend I haven't talked to in awhile after she posted a picture of herself doing a half-marathon (walking). I sent her an encouraging supportive message and suggested we sign up for a 5K run together soon.

I have three things I am contemplating this week, only one of which is fitness related. I am considering signing up for a year-long half-marathon race series. Four races in all, each successively longer until the last one which is 13.1K. It is very intimidating but so are the other two activities I am mulling over, so I'll need to think about all of them and make a decision.

I am motivated to stay on my mission to get stronger. I have really loved doing so much strength-training since this challenge started and am looking forward to getting even stronger. I plan on keeping up with it even during the series hiatus then coming back in the second half of the season possibly in the next group (Intermediate).
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I encouraged a fellow MPFer in another group I'm part of, we both need to hold each other accountable for goals
    2. Be like Eugene: I am going to try the 5:2 Fast Diet after this challenge is over. I've been so bummed that I'm exercising like crazy and volleying around 3# each week. A wee bit nervouse about skipping 2 meals a day twice a week, but I'd really, really want to drop 15#.
    My mission is to model a well rounded healthy lifestyle for my 15 y/o dauther. I put in my 30 minutes of exercise in the mornings while she's getting ready for school so she's knows I'm committed to that, but also need to be an example of making wise food choices, even when eating out, and not drinking my calories (cutting way back on the wine these days). She'll be heading off to college soon - have I prepped her on how to be healthy when she's on her own? I'm sure working on it.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I try to do my best and encourage others through my MFP friends status. Beyond that, I have a few friends in various places on their own journeys. Some are doing better than I, some just getting started. I encourage them all the same. With Thanksgiving coming up, I know the conversations I'll have with my family as well. Some will pick on me for calorie counting, but I think they are all open to changes for themselves and I plan to do my best in encouraging that when they ask.

I have had to give this quite a bit of thought. I've gotten over quite a bit of being self-conscience in favor of my goals: I stand in the front row of Zumba classes, I run on busy paths. I've even shared my starting/heaviest weight with somebody in real life. I do plan to do a 5k in the spring, which scares the heck out of me. That is a ways away though, so maybe my shorter term goal will be to try a distance similar.

Motivation and challenge are very important keys for me. Between trying to stay competitive with my fitbit and this challenge, it has kept things in focus for me. My own personal missions include working up to a 5k, and also a one-year check in from a physical I had just shortly after starting my life changes in May. Weight is only one component of that. I hope I've improved on other issues as well.
  • DucMouse
    DucMouse Posts: 113 Member
    Options

These past few days I have had off I have taken the extra time to go to the gym with my husband and we have been each others encouragment with exercise. I have been getting him to work on the character videos with me and he has helped me with changing our diet. So it has been a give and take, which I hope we continue as time goes on.

Well I am a weenie when it comes to heights, so when we leave for our cruise there is "walk the plank" that I plan to do...here is a video http://youtu.be/oXkMlKDj0tw

What keeps me motivated is knowing that if I take care of myself now I live a longer and healthy life. I work in health care and I hear it all the time from my patients, that if I take care of myself now its not to bad when I get older. I look forward to having a healthier and happier body and mind. My mission is to make better habits over time, retrain myself to eat better and stick with a physical fitness.
  • julebg79
    julebg79 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts are awesome! Even my granddaugher loves them. Of course, it's all in how you prepare them. Our favorite is quartering them, drizzeling with EVOO & Parm cheese and roasting. My MIL will only boil them - they're not so bueno that way! I've heard they're pretty easy to grow, might try that in the garden next year.

On another note - Plansgiving is getting really tough, but I'm sure feeling it in my arms!
    Seconded on the roasting brussels sprouts. My fave flavor combo is to toss with EVOO, salt and pepper, and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Towards of the end of the roasting, I add craisins and walnuts or pecans (if i have calories to spare for that)--Delicious! I love them w/ EVOO, parm and garlic, too (and maybe just a bit of lemon juice).

Interesting-- I want to try growing them now, too! Last weekend, I had my daughters at the grocery store, and my 4 year old surprised me in the produce aisle with a "Mommy, can we buy those brussels sprouts?" Of course I said yes, and she loved breaking them off the stalk for me. And healthy, so win, win, win.

Planksgiving is getting REALLY REALLY tough for me. Plank walks are the devil. And also 2 point planks. I honestly don't think I will be able to do it when the times increase much more than they are now. I might just hit my wall, but when I do, I've made a deal with myself to keep going every day at that max level, and then just try to increase it as I'm able. I don't want to quit, but I don't know that 75 seconds of 4 plank styles will happen for me at this juncture. Last night, I had to rest twice during the plank walks, breaking into 3 sets of 10. Ouch.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    julebg79 wrote: »
    Planksgiving is getting REALLY REALLY tough for me. Plank walks are the devil. And also 2 point planks. I honestly don't think I will be able to do it when the times increase much more than they are now. I might just hit my wall, but when I do, I've made a deal with myself to keep going every day at that max level, and then just try to increase it as I'm able. I don't want to quit, but I don't know that 75 seconds of 4 plank styles will happen for me at this juncture. Last night, I had to rest twice during the plank walks, breaking into 3 sets of 10. Ouch.

Me too! Last night after attempting the day's planks, I announced in a loud voice, "Kids, I am sorry to announce that this year, Planksgiving has been canceled." They laughed. They can do planks better than I can. I am going to keep going the best I can, but there are a couple poses that require me to balance on one leg and it's impossible on my right leg because my knee isn't in the greatest shape. I just do a regular plank instead of those.
    2. Be like Eugene: I am going to try the 5:2 Fast Diet after this challenge is over. I've been so bummed that I'm exercising like crazy and volleying around 3# each week. A wee bit nervouse about skipping 2 meals a day twice a week, but I'd really, really want to drop 15#.

I thought of doing this one too! I wish you luck, a lot of people swear by 5:2. But like you, the thought of less food one or two days a week is intimidating. Hmmmm, maybe I'll try it anyway, if it works it could help with my last 15 pounds, too.

I love reading everyone's goals for this week's challenge. Very inspiring and thought-provoking.

• MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My husband and I joined MFP at the same time. We are continuously encouraging and motivating each other! I try to encourage and motivate my MFP friends as well. I have also been telling everyone I know about MFP!

I plan on trying the C25K once this challenge has ended. I’m definitely nervous about it because I can’t run for very long without hyperventilating. Lol.

My mission is definitely to feel better about myself and to be able to do things that my weight has stopped me from doing. I want to feel pretty and healthy. I want to be able to walk into any department store and find cute, fashionable clothes that will actually fit me. I want to be able to ride roller coasters again. I want to be able to paint my toe nails again…you know, just the simple things! Lol. My husband keeps me motivated. We constantly talk about our goals and things we will be able to do when we lose all of our weight. Those conversations are a constant reminder of why I’m doing this and it motivates me to keep trying. So I guess my husband and the thoughts of the future motivate me the most!
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options

I have encouraged a friend of mine to join MFP. She then went a whole year without missing a day and I fell off at the beginning of 2013. Now I'm back on and trying everyday to convince her to get back on here. I've also encourage her to train with me to run some 5k fun runs.

As silly as this sounds joining a gym intimidates me. I don't want people to look at me when I work out. I feel silly running on a treadmill as out of shape as I am. I mean seriously who wants to watch my fat jiggle? I swear I'm not a negative person but I just don't like to think people are watching and judging me. I know I judge people, I try hard not to but I do it anyway (sorry). I walk around like I don't care but honestly I really do. Tomorrow after I get sized for my running sneakers I join planet fitness (the judgment free zone- I hope)

My mission here is also to save my life. I have type 2 diabetes and I am here to help me beat it. I need to get healthy and eat right. So I am using this challenge to force my focusing on my workouts. This went from 30 minutes a day to 45 minutes a day... with a rest day. I also really want to fit back in my clothes from 2012 when I was at my smallest.

Beginners were here for each other!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Morning Beginners!! Just a quick note: I will be gone until Monday. Cindy will total your scores and answer any questions you may have - BE GREAT EVERYONE!!!