Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    I'm also eyeballing a really really really stupid adventure..... http://www.ultratrail-angkor.com/en/ <-- yes I am contemplating the 128k option.

That looks amazing!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hope all is going well for you Robbie, glad to see your listening to your body. Spiky ball, massage and heat will help :)

Cheers. Doing 2 out of 3 , just not getting massage. Went out for an easy foundation run this morning, it went reasonably well. My big issue is the Eyam half marathon on Sunday, yep the one with over 1200ft of ascent. Not sure at the moment whether it is a goer or not. Heart and head say yeah, but calf keeps asking whether it gets a choice. This could be a late decision, Sunday in Eyam!!

Well done on the Zombie run. I get funked out by the fact that the elite athletes run marathons at twice the speed I can run a half. I can't sprint at thir speed for very far. Also nice choice for a really stupid adventure, I've got one of 2 trails identified for next year, neither as exciting as that though.

Ceci, nice going on the run and ride. As Taeliesyn says, the parkrun people are really supportive, just look on the site for details. I was wanting to run we go to the States but there are only 4 run locations!!

Have fun

• DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My first official race went well. 38:24 which is a personal record for me. My goal was to run the whole way without walking and to finish at or under 40 minutes. So I call it successful. More importantly, it was fun, I learned a lot about how races work, and I will definitely do it again! I kept my race bib and marked my time on the back and put it away with other important memorabilia. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement!

My son and I before the race:

87s187x0xbc2.jpg

Crossing the finish line:

nwersarf7gpq.jpg
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @DianaLovesCoffee Way to go!
    bnhszlod3z9x.gif

I ran 5k yesterday at my national park. Ended up with a PR on the segment- up the big hill and back- 29:19, my first time to do that one in under 30 minutes! That really is my favorite place to run. So peaceful! I only saw 2 other people and plenty of wildlife!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @DianaLovesCoffee Well done, no pressure on time. It's about you and your family enjoying it. Comparison is the thief of joy. I am genuinely pleased for you and look forward to reading about your future exploits

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Cruise interval session this morning which went so much better than a similar run 3 weeks ago. Hit all the segment paces, although the calf was wimpering towards the end. It took a pounding, now it needs a bit of tlc, hopefully be back with a gentle recovery run tomorrow.

Have fun all
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Diana!

Trying to stick to the Asics plan but it's a bit boring. Dropped my son off at football tonight and ran round the fields for a change of venue. Going to Aviemore this weekend with my school friends, last year we went zip wiring, this year we are going kayaking. So that's my cross training sorted out for this week ;)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Romy, what is boring about it (location, activity, pace) ?

Recovery run this morning, started slow and progressively got faster as the body warmed up. Calf niggled again, but hoping that continually using it and then looking after it will put me in a good place for Sunday. Heart rate looked in a good place for the pace I was running at (around 130 which is 70% max or 60% HRR),

Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Romy- sounds like fun! I have a friend who does a lot of kayaking, but she hasn't talked me into it yet. Although I do have a canoe that hasn't been in the water in years!

I'm planning to run hill repeats if the weather holds up today. Had a nice leisurely ride with a new group of people yesterday.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I'm on holiday this week, taking the opportunity for quite a lot of phys. Too much it seems as I've got a mild aching in my left knee.

There have been copious amounts of cycling, running and walking. So no running today, as I don't want to risk exacerbating it a week before the big race. It may be down to using my trail shoes a lot more in the last few days, lower drop with less cushioning.

Things are feeling reasonably good otherwise, so I'm optimistic about a decent outcome.

I took the dog out on the first 4Km of yesterdays run, and he did ok. A couple of points where he lost focus, and I had to stop and wait, but pretty good in general. I don't think he'll ever be up for long distances, but 5-6km is reasonable for him.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

I took the dog out on the first 4Km of yesterdays run, and he did ok. A couple of points where he lost focus, and I had to stop and wait, but pretty good in general. I don't think he'll ever be up for long distances, but 5-6km is reasonable for him.

Love the coaching for the dog. Enjoy your holiday

Foundation session this morning, easy paces and good hr band again. Niggle in calf stayed with me most of the run. Taking Friday off, too much stress at work, will jog around the parkrun on Saturday as a stretcher and then Eyam on Sunday.

Have fun
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great running everyone!
    Really well done on your 5k Diana.

ZR5k W1D3 tonight for me, overall one of those sucky runs, not horrid, just not good. Everything felt heavy when running, the first two intervals were even uncomfortable and a little painful. Though once warmed up fully everything was... eh ok. Slower intervals than last session for the most part. I did have one beautiful interval where everthing felt right, I felt fast I was working but no worse than my 5k pb felt at the start. If I can capture that feeling and pace again and hold it for 5k I'll be over the moon and in absolute shock as it was sub 3min pace. Hell if I can get that again for 1k I'll be damn happy.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Taeliesyn, nice going mate, sorry it is a bit sucky but you are up and running :) Here's hoping for you to be damn happy
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Taeliesyn, nice going mate, sorry it is a bit sucky but you are up and running :) Here's hoping for you to be damn happy
    +1
  • Just_Ceci
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was asked to help out at a local bike race, so my plan to do hill repeats fell through as I just ran near the race route- 4 miles in 39:40. (At least the last mile was up a long hill, not really steep though.) Rain started just as the cyclists hit the road and looks to hang around off and on most of the week. y5cugfhrwcpn.gif
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    parkrun mixed with ZR5K W2D1, so 10min walk, then 5 x 1min walk, 30s run, 5 heel raises. The intervals were a little slower than the previous shorter ones. However I'm happy with them, especially as the shoes I was wearing didn't have good traction on most of the course, due to the rain. The extra time didn't really seem to make it any harder.
    Legs seem to holding up pretty well too.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Did a parkrun this morning with some friends who haven't parkrunned for a while. It took a while to catch them up, 300 runners this morning (2nd largest field ever at Rushcliffe!). I cruised round, just getting a run out ahead of tomorrow having a nice chat with them about life. We pushed it towards the end but I had to curtail it as I felt the calf tighten up. Tomorrow looks doable but it is going to be slow. At the moment, back to heat, compression, rest and a massage ball.

Have fun
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow Robbie! I know it's not the nicest thought, but DNF and a weeks recovery, is better than a finishing time and six weeks recovery, especially as it's not a goal race mate.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow Robbie! I know it's not the nicest thought, but DNF and a weeks recovery, is better than a finishing time and six weeks recovery, especially as it's not a goal race mate.

Thanks for the thought. I am seriously contemplating a DNS and a few days recovery if required, for exactly the same reason. June 28 and September 28 are target races for me. I will be up early tomorrow morning as normal, so will give it a 10-20 minute spin first thing and then make a decision. Have fun, not long before you get your red shirt, 4 more runs.

• taeliesyn
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Thanks for the thought. I am seriously contemplating a DNS and a few days recovery if required, for exactly the same reason. June 28 and September 28 are target races for me. I will be up early tomorrow morning as normal, so will give it a 10-20 minute spin first thing and then make a decision. Have fun, not long before you get your red shirt, 4 more runs.

Hard choice mate, but glad to see you're being wise.

Hahaha, the infamous red shirt, 10x harder to get in Aus because we are waiting on the Tribesport one to actually become available.