Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    beautiful family, Shirley, and Anne, I Love your home.. cottage, landscaping! 1 degree.. no no I can't imagine that now that we are in May!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    look like one more week of bad weather then the heat hit us. Great things this morning my computer came back on after not starting for a since last Sunday. during the bad storm we had. Now I want have to buy a new one.
    So many people lost so much clear across Texas that day. including there lives. so we felt lucky

This is the longest wettest weather we have ever had. Now the poor people having to deal with floods.

phoebe Kathy lives way out in the country. Her son and his girlfriend move out and bought a place about 8 miles further out She is will good for Kylee and has a 8 year son of her own.
    Now got to find Jackie video and watch it.

Love marie
    found Jackie video amazing/
    also love all the photo you all share with us. Thanks for sharing.

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,141 Member
    Options
    Okay, all the totes are out of the SUV now and all the boxes which were stacked in the garage area are moved indoors. I have moved a couple of boxes to the basement and have boxed or tossed the rest. Boxes are in the back of my car to be delivered on Sunday and Monday. I can see some floor in my dining room now and can walk through my garage. PROGRESS! I hope to tackle a huge stack of papers on my desk tomorrow at some point.

Jeri – I don’t remember if I told you how much I liked the picture you posted of the beach with what looks like lava near the shoreline??

Barbie – how are your darling doggies? Ecstatic that you are back I’m sure. Thanks for the picture. It is beautiful. Any others you want to share----I’ll be glad to see them.

Patsy – how did the shot go? My friend’s husband goes in for those shots and she told me one time they do one eye and the next time they do the other. Every 2 months I think she said?? I hope you’re okay.

Marie – I hope your computer keeps working and that you have a wonderful weekend with your family. So many storms lately in several states—I am glad you are okay.

Buzz – I hope you are doing well and I have put my name on the reserve list at the library for the Kevin Costner movie. I think only about 65 people are ahead of me. Haaaaaa.

Jackie – I’ve watched the bluebell video twice now. Delightful! Then I went back to your original video of the woods. My goodness how everything has popped---it is delightful. You have such an amazing countryside for talking walks. Lucky you and very lucky George!!! Any word on the book cases? We’re looking forward to a picture of the changes in your home.

Sandy – time for your vacation!! Enjoy………… You gave amazing care to your pets. But we know you are a darling, caring person.

Bob – I hope you are feeling okay given these health issues. Am I allowed to worry a bit? Congratulations on your new granddaughter. How much longer does your DW have to use the eye drops? I hope she is doing well.

Phyllis – did you get a nap today? Thanks for posting the pictures. Very nice (including the toes!). In any case, I hope you are getting some rest now. By the way, that is a nice long ramp. I’d like to go up the ramp but don’t think I’d like the down side. My knees don’t care for that.

Shirley – I am so sorry you burned yourself. Ouch!! I hope you enjoyed your paddle wheel cruise experience tonight. I love the picture you posted of Kathy and her family on Mother’s Day. Beautiful.

Phoebe – lots of errands today? I hope you got a lot accomplished. I wake up most mornings feeling somewhat overwhelmed but if I make it to the end of the day with having marked something off my list, it helps. Hugs to Honey.

Anne – thanks for sharing your photos! What a darling home you have and great landscaping. Everything is just so well-tended! Two thumbs up!! Is the pine in front of your porch a mugo pine? Probably not, it’s too large right? I like it whatever it is.

Time to move on………I’ve been sitting too long and my joints are talking to me.

Love ya everyone!!

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    HI there, it is just crazy trying to post anything today. Everything keeps jumping up and down. Seems to have settled down down now. My eye shot went well. We are slowly extending the internal between the shots. Now we are going every 8 weeks! Yea! Started out every 4 weeks. Improvement!

We are really having a nice warm week with only a small amount of rain. Just enough to water the trees and grass. Today I walked out on the deck to take a picture of my Rhodies and the hanging geranium and locked myself out on the deck. My husband was in town running attends. So the dogs and I sat on the deck in the sunshine and waited....and waited...and waited for him to return. I don't wait very well. I get cranky especially if it is my own fault.

Bob and the new grand mothers...lucky you! What is your secret? My children aren't working to hard enough to provide more grandchildren for me! Uuuugh!
  • oystereyes
    Options
    tf8x1c1tyd3w.jpg
  • oystereyes
    Options
    This geranium is called Peg O my heart, because she hangs out on the deck and I think of her as a friend. She blooms, I water and talk to her!
  • oystereyes
    Options
    83y6yu5knuw9.jpg
  • oystereyes
    Options
    The Rhodies are really showing off this year. This is only about one half of the large stand of tall Rhodies along the back. Part of the lawn. They have gotten clearly out of hand!
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh my Lord Patsy!!! Your rhododendrons are amazing! Thanks for sharing and love the hanging geranium...........sorry you got locked out. Patience is not my best attribute either.

Hugs to you and glad the interval for shots in getting longer. Excellent!

Lin
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Spring the sweet spring! The rhododendrons are another lovely memory for me! Aren't they just beautiful! And especially so after such a harsh winter. I did consider posting a before picture of icicles hanging on the apple trees, but decided to forget! Thank you PATSY for sharing! I have a well hidden key after locking myself out once and having to phone a locksmith. Of course I've never locked myself out since, cross fingers. Oh and congrats on the eye shot verdict. Great news indeed.
    I don't know what the pine bush is LIN, I just know it keeps extending its territory and has to be severely cut back each year. My main flower bed is on the right of my little garden and looks it's best in June, now the daffodils and snowdrops etc are over, so I'll post then. Everything survived very deep snow. Amazing.
    A garden is a pleasure, but the job was never done,
    By saying "oh how wonderful", and sitting in the sun.
    Well, grocery shop day before our long weekend holiday, Victoria Day, and plant the tomatoes! So cheerio,
    Annie.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Off to visit friends soon but thought I'd catch up with everyone and am so pleased because I've had a lovely time looking through your photos.

Patsy ~ Your rhodies are stunning compared to mine that have sent more leaves out than flowers this year although my azaleas are doing better. I love the fact you give your plants a name because I too have named lots of shrubs and plants after the people that gave me the original cutting or plug plant. It's a lovely reminder, especially of those now gone. Oh dear, locking yourself out can be frustrating but at least hubby turned up in the end!!

Bob ~ Fluid retention is a pain in the rear when it comes to weight gain, I know because I'm fluctuating all over the place and it's so frustrating to get on the scales when I know I've been good to see I've gained a couple of pounds... like this morning!! I do hope your other health issues get sorted and think surely your incredible weight loss has to be a big plus when it comes to improvement.

Lin ~ Yes, the woods have certainly "popped" and I find it hard to believe only a bit more than a week ago there was barely a leaf to be seen. The bookcase wasn't quite right for me although a nice piece of furniture being a 1930's retro style... just not enough room for all my books, especially the larger ones! You do keep busy don't you and I'm jealous of that floor space you've uncovered as I'm still tripping over items in the spare room!

Marie ~ So sorry to read about the damage and deaths in Texas after your storms but also glad you are alright. I've read that el nino has arrived in the Pacific this year warming up the seas and will be affecting weather around the world to give extremes.... yeeiks!!

Anne ~ What an adorable home and garden you have.... so Canadian! That apple tree looks as if it will produce plenty of fruit for you this year. Is it an edible dessert or cooker? It's great to see where everyone lives because as you said previously, we are such good friends on MFP seniors thanks to MARIE for setting up the sneakers group! Here's another little video, this time in my garden, well the top end anyway where I've managed to tidy!! The great thing about a cottage garden is you get to lose the weeds amongst the ground cover!! LOL
    https://youtu.be/bK0E_CeLNHE

Phyllis~ I hope the bluebells helped you rest even if you weren't able to get back to sleep. The photo of your toes did make me laugh... just the sort of thing I'm likely to do!!

Sandy ~ What an amazing history of your caring for your pets, never mind the cost. They were obviously destined to be with you because you are such a loving person who would do everything possible to keep them alive. Apart from my cat Hebe losing an eye last year I've only been through the trauma of amputation once with an adorable cat called Muffin who had cancer and know just how upsetting a time it is. <3

Shirley ~ Ouch, nothing more painful than a steam burn so I hope you are over the worst by now. My gran who lived with us when I was a kid would have slapped a lump of butter on such a burn.... I'm not sure what the reasoning was but bet ANNE will know!! LOL

As I mentioned in my message to BOB I've gained 2 lbs although I've walked, been swimming, gardened and walked some more so totally fed up and will have a pate sandwich on granary bread for lunch just to make myself feel better!!

Happy Friday everyone!
    Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    JACKIE, I'm in your debt again! A true English cottage garden! Wah wah, (me snivelling or at least watery eyed). I'll never achieve THAT in Canada! Although my DIL who loves gardening is getting close. You know, we DID put butter on burns. It melted with the burn heat, so maybe THAT was the reason, we forgot the burn when we licked it off! Or maybe it greased the skin, I've really no idea. I do know we put milk on our children's eye lids when they got encrusted or with a "sty". That worked! Forget your modern eye creams new Moms, it really DOES work.
    The trees are really ancient, BUT they produce the most delicious dessert apples I have ever tasted. Large red at the front, golden at the back. I give some away, some at the front get stolen of course, the squirrels pinch some and I lightly cook some in the autumn and freeze them, and they keep me going most of the winter, along with my red currants which I freeze as is.
    They are not like the bought apples which keep and keep, that's why I freeze them. By the way, although struggling with the weight of snow, I DO have 2 holly bushes down the sheltered side of the house, a bit of "home".
    Thank you again, all of you, it somehow makes you all a little closer seeing the photos.
    Annie.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,094 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) Clothes are in the wash, Babe coming to give me my check early, A/C man coming at noon to check A/C, mani/pedi at 2:00 and finally packing for vacation. I can hardly wait to get off that plane and feel hot sunshine. I will have my IPad with me so should be able to check in, at least some days if not too busy soaking up those rays.

Jackie, it is amazing to me how you keep up with that beautiful garden all by yourself. I just love your landscaping and really enjoyed seeing Boris. Next video of the chickens and bees please, just don't get stung.

Anne, your cottage is just beautiful and it certainly looks like you could be living in England along with Jackie.

Patsy, your flowers are so beautiful, you certainly have a green thumb.

Shirley, what a beautiful family you have, your daughter is so pretty and her husband so handsome, but Issac steals the show. :)

I really need to jump in the shower before people start coming to my house. Have a wonderful weekend and a great week, I will check in when I can but you all behave yourselves.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    hese photos and videos look even better on my laptop vs my tablet. Naturally. loving them all. trying to stay home today, do my errands tomorrow. so laundry calls me.. I don't want to talk though.
    pretty weather here. I hope the rain waits until Monday. DH's annual race weekend is tomorrow and Sunday. It rained out last year.
    I'm search online for fabric to recover my patio umbrella. It can be that parachute type fabric or canvas. It doesn't have to be waterproof, but only needs to be for shade. As a matter of fact, why bother, I don't really need an umbrella there at all... save more money and spend my time elsewhere... Thanks Sneakers, you talked me right out of that, lol.. and you are wondering if a crazy lady is in this group!!
    I did tell dh that I would make some new covers for his sun visors in his old pick up. I plan to use bubble wrap then cover it with some vinyl fabric, when I remember to get it :s
    have a wonderful sunny or at least sunny in your hearts day!!

Phoebe
  • linder4866
    Options
    Love love love the garden video. Ahhhhhhh. The closest thing I've ever seen here in my area was as a child, my grandmother made her backyard and little side yards into riots of color and places of calm and quiet and coolness. Flowers in the sun, lovely things in the shade, a little pond for goldfish, a grape arbor, shrubs.........just so much on one town lot. Thank you so much Jackie.

Sandy----ticking down to your vacation!! Wahoo!

Phoebe - sure, glad to talk you out of anything at any point. Just let me know.

Anne - your apple trees sound wonderful. The older varieties of apple are quite tasty right? They have changed apples so much over the years so the flesh is whiter, they last longer, the skin is tougher so they can ship them, etc.

Patsy - guess what came in the mail? Yes, your book. Now all I need is some time to look it over!!

Hugs to all........

Lin
  • oystereyes
    Options
    TGIF sneakers. It doesn't have quite the same excitement as it used to when we were working hard, does it? None the less, we are heading to Costco for a supply run. Then we will try to find a movie for the evening entertainment/exercise. I know, not exactly thrilling but comfortable and fun.

Lin: I have such sympathy for you . I remember plowing through my parents life via a lifetime collection of stuff. It all seemed important but to whom? I went through the same thing you are going through. Trying to decide what has material valve and what was sentimental doodads. I still have boxes of things in that catagory. I do hope you enjoy the book. Hubby and I loved the whole experience.

Annie: we have a strange Apple tree with a scary mystery attached. One of our dear doggie companions passed away and we decided to put her ashes under a new little flowering crabapple tree. Through the years, the little tree grew and each year a few little crab apples showed up. Then bigger apples started to take over. For years now we have bushels of very unpleasant tasting apples. But the scary thing is that at some point all the apples disappear in one night. Even the ones up higher on the tree. Last year we saw bear scat under the tree but that was after the yearly big apple disappearance. Odd?

Jackie: oh my! That garden was so beautiful! I understand that English gardens are special. However yours seems so personally appealing and I love the way there are little touches of whimsy. Oregon gardens don't have that look. We don't know how to achieve that delightful sense of flower filled green rooms. Also there aren't the lovely songbirds in our gardens.

Phoebe: you are a very talented lady! Covers for the sun users....! Wow, I would be trying to rip them off and buy new ones. I have no skills in that regard.

Sandy: have a lovely holiday! Come back brown as a berry, rested and ready to be a very beautiful grandmother again. Will you try a bikini on that beach?

Hello to all my dear sneakers. Enjoy the day, I am so grateful you are all out there sharing your life with me.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,094 Member
    Options
    oystereyes wrote: »

Sandy: have a lovely holiday! Come back brown as a berry, rested and ready to be a very beautiful grandmother again. Will you try a bikini on that beach?

Patsy

1705390badjlh63zy.gif
  • Jacean245
    Options
    JACKIE, I watched the video of the British soldier who lost his leg in combat and had a special cottage garden created for him. Got quite a few tips, plus it was very inspirational and I feel like rushing out and digging up the sparse lawn under the apple tree at the back and finding low flowering bushes to plant instead. There's already a lot of ground cover, hostas and the struggling holly bushes beyond the present "lawn". Now this is a much colder zone than Cornwall of course but any ideas on what to look for that is hardy? I know honeysuckle and clematis do well in the sunshine here and next door have wisteria which is flourishing, but this will be shady of course. I think laurel was planted under the birch tree on the video but I haven't seen a laurel bush here? SHIRLEY, have you come across one? Must persuade the boys to take me to the gardening centre again. Anyway, thank you for the walk in your piece of heaven, and actually, I thought your garden prettier.
    LIN my apples are so tasty they put Eves offering to Adam to shame I'm sure! Canada is great for apples.
    Goodnight friends, oh and happy creating, PHOEBE, you clever gal!
    Annie.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Greetings from warm and humid Missouri. We seem to go from 50 and raining to 80 and steaming in the blink of an eye. Doesn't keep me from tackling nearly impossible projects. One of these days I'm going to get smart.

gsb297tkixbx.jpg

Here's what is occupying my time at the moment. My little path had become so overgrown with weeds, I pulled it all out (took a pick ax), and laid down landscaping fabric. Now I'm trying to fit the stones back in. I must have made it wider or longer as I'm running out of flat rocks. Not to worry, there are plenty more buried on our three acres. I just have to find them!

Good news is it burns lots and lots of calories.

Take care, all.

Connie in Missouri.
  • Jacean245
    Options
    CONNIE, another amazing Sneaker. Wow. Now there's an idea!