Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you need width, look at the altra brand. However transition gradually if you go with altra, as they are zero drop.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Skye- I did a distance version of 5 to 10k, so when I finished, I was able to run 10k in a decent time (1:13:36). That might be an option for you. (W1- 5 reps of 1400 yards running and 175 yds brisk walk between. W2- 4 reps of 2100 yds with 175 walks. W3- 3 reps of 1.8 miles with 175 walks between. W4- 2 reps of 2.7 mi with 525 yd walk between. W5- 2 reps of 3 mi with 525 yds in the middle. W6 was 10k runs.)

It got cold here yesterday (59F :smiley: ). I had not packed gear for colder weather, so I went to the gym and ran on the track. 43 laps, so just over 3 miles in 28:47, with no foot pain!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Skye_NS wrote: »
    Interesting that you guys are discussing training programs. I've been looking for a something that will help me over this 7.5 km wall that I've been hitting. The b210k app appears to be preparing people for the ability to run for 60 minutes at a time. Which isn't really my issue, I just run so slow that I cap out at 7.5 km in that time frame. :/

I am summarising so could be wrong, you can run for an hour but you can only cover 7.5km. You would like to run 10kms but currently that would take you 80 mins. I went from B210k to a HM plan, but that might not be for you. If it is not, I would keep running 3 times a week and add 5mins on each week, so 65mins in week1, 70 mins in weeks 2 until you get to 80 mins in week 4. Then reassess. I suspect that in doing the extra time you will not need 80 mins to do a 10k. The alternative is to run/ run faster the 60 mins (fartlek), keep your running speed as it is and then run faster between a set of lampposts, trees, street signs, just to stress your system a bit more, slow back to your normal running pace and go again. I went for the HM plan as I firmly believe, for my running capability, just doing more speeds me up.

Good luck
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Easy paced session this morning just under 5 miles, HR averaging 140 with 9:25 mile pace. Perspired freely but not breathing hard. Good session.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Easy paced session this morning just under 5 miles, HR averaging 140 with 9:25 mile pace. Perspired freely but not breathing hard. Good session.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Running more has definitely made me faster too.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @Skye_NS Robbies suggestion is a good one, so is Ceci's for a distance based B210K program.
    Basically if you're at a plateau you need to change what you're doing. Whether that's running longer (If you have the time) Or running 4 times a week instead of 3, or doing a speed session once a week. Something needs to change.

ZR5K W3D1 tonight, still trying to figure out how I am going to run the session. Program is
    5 min walk
    5 min free-form run
    __
    1 min run
    1 min walk
    10 sec knee lifts (note: in-game audio says 10 knee lifts)
    (x5)
    __
    8 min free-form run
    2 min stretching
    8 min free-form run

The 5min free form run I'll take easy as a warmup type thing, the 1min run will be intervals, hoping to hold 3:30min/km pace or below.
    It's the first 8min free form run I'm unsure on. I'd like to try and do it around 4min pace, however I think it's largely going to depend on where I am when the run cue comes in, as there aren't many stretches on my home circuit where I could hammer it for 8min. If I'm close enough to one of the ovals I may do laps for that 8 min...
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Well partial success on tonights run. 1 successful interval, 1 way too slow interval (although if the hill I was on is taken into account, it was only just too slow), 1 only just too slow interval and 1 cut short interval, as I had a hammy twinge and wasn't going to push it with the speed I was aiming for. A few seconds walking to assess and then I pushed on at easy run pace. Rest of the session was as instructed but not as planned. Last interval and all the free form run was done at easy pace. I'll repeat the session tomorrow after SES if I'm up for it.
    A little disappointed I had to pull up short on the intervals, but happy that I thought I was running my first interval at 3:50-4:00min pace, not 3:18 that I was. On a good day, and flat course I think I could hit a 3:30 km, if not faster if I had someone pacing me.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    More shoe drama! On the 21st I went out to the same trail wearing different socks - nothing special, just a bit more ventilation along the tops than my usual ones. I also planned to stop and adjust my laces if necessary. I lost count of the number of fix-it stops I made - nothing worked. Called the shop when I got home and they suggested that I might have too much room in that shoe. Solution: exchange for .5 size smaller. Hit the tail this morning for a test run in the new size and, again, everything was fine for the first half of the run. By km 3, my right foot was starting to get sore; I ended up calling the run by km 4 - my right foot was blistered and I could feel something starting in the same area of my left foot. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board with these shoes. I really, really wanted to love them... Had it only been the right foot I think I would have played around a bit, convinced myself that the area was already sensitive from my runs earlier in the week. I also considered picking up new socks and giving it another go... Wishful thinking? Feels like I'm grasping at straws to make these work.

I appreciate all of the advice about beating that plateau - decisions will be made as soon as I figure out this shoe thing. I did get 4 runs in this week, so I guess that's a silver lining. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I ran 2 miles on Friday afternoon (18:29). Better than nothing! (36 mile ride this morning!)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Skye - I really do hope you find a problem for your shoes, it cannot be fun getting hotspots in your shoes. You might want to try some "seamless running socks", they don't have raised seams and fit more like a glove than a sock. I appear to be lucky in that I am pretty tolerant to any shoe. However I do have Brachymetatarsia in my 1st and 5th toes which does lead to an odd shape foot which appears to be fairly forgiving to the size of the toe box.

Taeliesyn, given where you have been recently, I would not get too out of shape about the runs. Get back to enjoying them and then start pushing.

Ceci, saw the Strava loops this morning. I do admire your fortitude for doing those repetitive sessions.

Last 3 days running have been a mixed bag for me. Fridays interval session didn't happen, I could not get going on the warm up sessions and struggled with those paces, so going sub 8's was not going to happen. So I looped back, calling it a day before I really got started. parkrun on Saturday was a mix, hard work and disappointing. I had put on a pacing plan that should have got me a pb, I stayed in front of it and failed by 15 secs. How I do not know. I need to work out why, I think the Garmin is measuring short. Good news it was my 2nd best 5k time and was under 25 mins. Next week!! This morning had a run in Dorset, when on the the country roads it was great, however I made the mistake of going up some green lanes. Try more like dried up mountain river beds. I was walking both up and down just because of the footing, rocks and holes all over the place. Met the traget pace, but need better planning for the rest of the week.

Have fun everyone
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    Robbie - Nice work on the 5k time! Hope you get the Garmin figured out so you can get that pb next week. I talked to a few people from the local run club who know the employees of that store really well. They game me the name of someone to contact. I guess the guy is essentially "The Shoe Whisperer" when it comes to fitting. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment with him. As for the socks, I have a silly question. Do running socks wear out before they show the obvious signs of wear (holes, etc.)? I overheard a conversation between an employee and another client that said people should replace their running socks every 6 months, if not more often. Now, compared to most, I don't put a lot of mileage on mine yet; but I know one type is over a year old and the other is likely 2 or more. (Both seamless)

Ceci, 2 miles is definitely better than no miles! Hope you enjoyed your ride!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well this morning was the Ox Half Marathon (13.1 ish miles), as well as the Ox Ultra (37 ish miles) and the Ox Marathon (26.2 ish miles)

Conditions underfoot were quite hard, there's been some rain this week but nothing significant enough to make the going particularly soft. Undulating, which doesn't quite capture how challenging it was. And wading through knee high grass and nettles for about half the route took their toll on my legs. My quads dissolved at 22.2km and I found myself absolutely totalled for the last km.

You might note that it was very good value for money, as the ish led to 14 miles.

Very friendly race, with lots of people agreeing that it was pretty tough.

I had a bit of a niggle in my left achilles at one point, so eased off the pace at that point, but other than that no recurrence of the ITB Syndrome I got at the last half. On the descent from the last aid station I did lose my footing and nearly turned my ankle I've torn those ligaments in the past so I'm always a bit cautious of it, but managed to avoid any issues. Rutted farmtrack, after 21km of poor footing, so I guess it was a bit inevitable that I'd lose it at some point.

So a gun time of 2:27:59, although I did neglect to switch off my Garmin until after I'd picked up my medal and Tee, so perhaps a minute less than that. According to my Strava trace I also did the 21.1 in 2:15, which was my goal time, including 5 minutes at the final aid station for a small cider.

Wiped out now though.

I have another half in the same area in July, and I'm still to make a decision on whether to try the Clarendon full in October, or do the half again with an aim to improve my time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    Wow - that half sounds like quite the adventure! Congrats!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day of my journey from 5k to 10k. Last Friday I had a 33:15 nonstop run (only 2 miles though, I know it's not a 5k yet), today I did a total of 45 minutes running, with one minute walk breaks every 10 minutes. I'm following the Zenlabs 10k program. In total I did 3.5 miles in 59:33. I won't lie, it was harder than I expected. Oh well, live and learn and get better!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    MM, nice going on the half, sounds like fun. Interesting bit of bling. I hope you are recovering well and take it easy over the coming days. Your schedule sounds quite intimidating given your description above. Hope it goes well.

Skye hope the "shoe whisperer" gets you sorted out.

Autumnfilly2005, welcome, just keep at it. B210k works getting you to run for 60 mins. Just make sure that you are not over doing it and ensure your are fuelling properly. MM has given you some good advice on the forum.

Went out for the long run this morning instead of Sunday. A better planned route than Sundays, although still too much B road running. Sharing the carriageways with cars is never fun. Heavy legs to start but they eventually turned over. A killer hill on the first tempo interval killed that, but the next few were ok. However around an hour in I came to a 1 in 6 followed by a 1 in 4 (17% and 24%) and they killed any will to continue. Ran the last 20 mins at just under 10min mile pace. I was planning to extend the 12 miler to a HM but pulled the plug at the village rather than carry on for a further 30-40 minutes. So more poor planning on my part. Planning an easy session tomorrow, with some killer rises in it again, hard to avoid around here. Got some tennis in and walked to the local country fair. Good fun all round but legs are heavy, expect to take it easy for the rest of the week, probably taking Friday off.

Have fun everyone
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Robbie

I've got the Dorset Invader Half in mid July, so not wanting to take too long off. It's in similar terrain to the Ox, so I'm conscious that I probably need to improve my hill work. My quads are still sore, and I'm not looking forward to cycling to work in the morning.

I can recut my plan to start on Saturday if I need to, although given how painful today has been that might be wise. We went to the local country show, and whle it was nice to be out it was a bit uncomfortable.

Mind you, no injury pain, and no blisters.

Reflecting on yesterday, I'm going to reconsider my goals for later in the year, I'll do the Clarendon Half again rather than going up to the full.

I'm also going to aim for the Dark Ox and Ox half again next year. I really fancy doing the Dark Ox, it sounded like a good run, so probably more sensible to do the Half the following day, rather than try the full.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @Autumnfilly2005 Welcome! You are doing great- just keep plugging along! The more miles you run, the faster you will get.

MM- I love the medal! Congrats!

Another long bike ride today- 46 miles.
  • Skye_NS
    Options
    @Just_Ceci - 46 miles! "Nice work" doesn't seem to cover it.... :)

@Autumnfilly2005 - Welcome! I look forward to reading your updates. This group is very supportive, don't be afraid to post questions and concerns. Chances are good that one, if not many of us, have been there before.

No runs for me today but I did start a new strength training program this morning. Tomorrow is the appointment with 'the show whisperer', so hopefully that will be sorted soon.