Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    1 mile in Lake Michigan just after sunrise :)

It's a good thing.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The pelican has landed!
    After yesterday's personal distance best of 2.5 miles, was back to my regular 2700 y/ 54 laps with a twist: after my 200 warmup, my next 200 included 2 lengths of butterfly:
    * 2 X 25 each fly/back/breast/free

Of course I butterfly with the grace of a pelican trying to land in a hurricane, but I'll take it!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I did get to a 'pool' yesterday. 3000 meters.
    The pool is 50 meters. No lane ropes. No etiquette. Got hit in the face once. Almost sang soprano once.
    90% of the people in the pool weren't actually swimming.
    Tonight i'll try to go further.
    And the water is hot. I'd guess close to if not higher that 90F. The second I pop up from the water to tap the wall or take a sip, I feel like I stepped into a sauna.
    The hottest water I've even done a 5km swim in is 88 degrees. This water feels warmer than that.
    I hear there are better pools but the CEO says they are too far from the office or too expensive. Well, how expensive will poked eye be :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Sprint Triathlon practise. 750m Swim in 18:30
    20 km bike in 55 mins. 5 km run in 33 mins.
    Total time 1:46:22
    I know : We be Crazy - most people are satisfied doing one Sporting Event-Competition at a time.
    Need to work on the Bike-Running Transition. Jumped off the Bike and my legs wanted to continue going in circles - not a good thing when your are trying to pick them up and down. Didn't do a face plant but a few stumbles/toe drags until I got about 500m in.

@mpeters Said everything that needed to be said about @stephenrhinton and @emmab0902 - "Enjoyed it lots!!" is a great assessment of any swim.

@gentlygently Glad to see you making laps in the pool.
    @rosebarnalice " Of course I butterfly with the grace of a pelican trying to land in a hurricane, but I'll take it!" Boy I understand that. I can't even do a full 25m so good on you.
    @fishgutzy Your a better man than me. If they have the temp above 75 for the seniors swim day I struggle and end up bailing.
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Another personal best for me today! 25 minutes, 750m, with almost every other length being freestyle!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great swims y'all! Fishgutzy, I'm trying to decide which is worse - swimming under the conditions you described or not being able to swim at all!

I was at a theatre leadership camp with 6 of my students Mon-Wed. We had a great time - they learned a ton and I got a lot of time to converse with my peers, sharing ideas, planning lessons, etc. Unfortunately, there was NO SWIMMING! I cannot wait to get back in the water tomorrow.
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    Options
    The pool at my Gold's Gym is heated to 84 degrees if I remember correctly. It's terrible. :(
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I did not :-( Got to the gym and discovered I had left my swim stuff at home. Feel all disappointed!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Managed 5km today. A little less crowded. Water felt just a tiny bit less hot than yesterday.
    Had to run a cooler shower after. Felt hot for a good 15 minutes after i got out.
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    2700 y in 65 minutes
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    83 to 84 degrees is perfect for me lol
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    After swim on Tuesday, got home and realised I'd left my relatively new and pricey swimming trunks at the gym.

Returned Wednesday expecting to find them and swim, but alas they had disappeared, and I hadn't carried another pair, so the Wednesday swim aborted. I just sat there somewhat grumpily and watched people swim, and calculated their stroke rates and other minutiae. They averaged 50 strokes per minutes and below!
    Also took some time to look at a few chapters of some of the swim books on my kindle I haven't looked at it in awhile! Swim Smooth (Paul Newsome) and Swim Speed Secrets (Sheila Taormina).

Today, I couldn't find my back up pair of swim trunks either, and I wasn't going to miss another day (yes I'm currently in that sought after zone where missing a day of swimming just doesn't agree with my body) so after going around a couple of shops and only finding overpriced trunks (which I wasn't ready to splurge on as I've bought 2 expensive pairs in the past few months, one or both of which I hope to relocate soon), I settled on a cheaper pair, which may be a size too small, and probably won't last very many swims, but it fits.
    Bought the trunks after work and rushed to the pool and managed to get to the pool and squeeze in fifteen (15 - one five - LOL) minutes of sprints before they closed for the evening at 7 pm.
    Well, a swim is a swim.

This swimming thing is borderline obsession - if you'd seen me in the shops telling the shop staff that I need swimming trunks like urgently! LOL!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I did get to a 'pool' yesterday. 3000 meters.
    And the water is hot. I'd guess close to if not higher that 90F. The second I pop up from the water to tap the wall or take a sip, I feel like I stepped into a sauna.
    The hottest water I've even done a 5km swim in is 88 degrees. This water feels warmer than that.
    I hear there are better pools but the CEO says they are too far from the office or too expensive. Well, how expensive will poked eye be :)

I swam in a really warm pool sometimes this year. By the end of my hour long swim I had a headache! Wouldn't repeat the experience if I didn't have to! But at least you found a pool!
    I did not :-( Got to the gym and discovered I had left my swim stuff at home. Feel all disappointed!

Exactly same thing happened to me on Wednesday too!
    Back in the pool after holiday etc break. It is not going to be consistent until the girl is back at school tho...

Hoping my right arm/shoulder had properly recovered in my 2 weeks off, but some twinges already. Rats. Must book that swimming lesson to find out what is going wrong (I know I am pulling too much with the arm and not enough with the back muscles, but can't quite work out how to rectify...tried keeping a wider higher elbow today)

Ease into it, and I'm sure you'll be fine!
    Another personal best for me today! 25 minutes, 750m, with almost every other length being freestyle!

Good job!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Really digging reading about all your firsts ...keep it going, exciting stuff

I was lazy yesterday ...i had a rare day with no customer appointments so I had no reason to leave the house except my swim ....so i chickened out and called it a mental health day

Today i forgot to check the clock when I started my swim ....and when I ended my swim I was going in the wrong direction for the lap count so I must've dropped at least one lap in there somewhere. but around an hour and around 1800m, 15 sprints

And tomorrow is my scheduled rest day ...so between an extra drylander day and an extra rest day, and two days of poor tracking this has been a low ebb week for me. C'est la vie ....Saturday is my first 'swim for time' since I started the whole 15 sprint routine. We will see if there has been improvement.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Some weeks are like that Stephen. You just start over and try again.

I started my swim off this morning with good humor and effort but it fizzled not quite half way through. I got a cramp (still have it) in my upper arm and at first I swam through it. Then I switched strokes. Then I gave up. No idea of yardage. Maybe 45 minutes or so. Sigh. Let's hope the day goes uphill from here.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,265 Member
    Options
    Wow, I leave town and look what happens, lol. I'm headed out of town this afternoon, so no swimming until Sunday, if we are back early enough. My Finis burners came in the mail. Now I'm not sure what to do with them... swim some without them? Swim entirely with them? I'm looking forward to them helping me get my body a little flatter.

One more week and then they close the pool for two weeks to drain it, make repairs and clean it. I might go bananas. I know there is another pool around here somewhere...
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    2700 today for a total of just over 8 miles for the week!

Next week is university orientation week, so pool hours will be somewhat limited, and my schedule won't be quite so flexible . . So I'll have to squeeze in the laps where I can.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    2700 today for a total of just over 8 miles for the week!

Wow! Great mileage! B)

• MarissaTriesAgain
    Options
    Was planning on doing 750m again today, but the lady in the lane next to me kept splashing water in my face/mouth with her fins, so I cut my swim short at 450m. I'm just glad to have had the chance to sneak.in a swim!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Only got 3km in on Friday. Nearly stopped after 7 laps (700 meters) after getting a hard head butt to my right shoulder. Stretched a but and kept going. A little bit later I got swamped and sucked enough water that my throat nearly closed up. Lovely autonomic reflex :) Had to stop in the lane, cough, and wait until I could breathe again.
    The pool opened up a little more after that. Friday crowd was thinner after about 5:30.
    I've been telling my wife of these pool adventures and she is on me now to stop trying to swim in giant splash pools.
    The risk if a real injury is not insignificant. And the company refuses to pay the cost of going to a real pool.
    I can go back to stinking up the office with my sweat covered self from hiking the stairs multiple times a day :) Stink can be a motivator.