Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Nothing exciting happening here....still doing my half marathon trainer and lifting weights. I don't have an organized run this weekend, but on 10/11 I have a 10 miler. This could be a problem given the longest I've run in one stretch so far is only 6.5 miles. I'm going to try for an 8 mile run this weekend on my long run day. Could get interesting!!!! Happy Thursday to all!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Nothing exciting happening here....still doing my half marathon trainer and lifting weights. I don't have an organized run this weekend, but on 10/11 I have a 10 miler. This could be a problem given the longest I've run in one stretch so far is only 6.5 miles. I'm going to try for an 8 mile run this weekend on my long run day. Could get interesting!!!! Happy Thursday to all!

What is your weekly mileage like?

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Seconding Robbie, what's your weekly mileage like?
    Good rule of thumb, is if you can run it in a week you can run it in a day (for a race, without racing). Doesn't mean it will be pretty, and definitely not to be done as a regular thing, but it's at least a first stage check.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 Embrace the cold, it actually makes running a lot easier. Cooler weather is PB time! Bugger about your crappy run, glad you realise they do happen and aren't letting it get to you. :)

@Just_Ceci Glad you embraced the suck! That's how we all improve. Good on you for doing the coaching thing :)

@ftrobbie Get out for a short shuffle mate, doesn't have to be far, doesn't have to be long, but getting those running muscles moving again helps immensely. I'd say 2mile at most.

@samra338 You'll find the mileage doesn't take too long to come back after a short break. Your legs will probably be ready before your lungs are, just keep at it and you'll be fine!

@snha Welcome! :D Keep the updates coming, and keep knocking out the runs.

@maggiekat7 Whooo! Well done on your 12k, good pace there too :)

I was planning on about 12k last night, but that plan was scuttled when I got home from work and was informed there is a 4ft dugite (venomous snake) in the backyard. Spent some time beating the bushes trying to find it to no avail. Did find a large and healthy bob tail lizard, which was relocated to the front yard. Eventually let the pets back into the area where the snake was seen, under close supervision. No interest from the dog, so called it safe for them.
    The disruption to my plans messed me around, and I was nearly going to head to bed, when I realised I hadn't done my run yet, so shot out for a quickish 2k. I wanted to stay below 4:40min/km pace. Flat ground for 2k... no worries. Running down the hill from home, no worries... trying to run back up the hills (yes plural) to get home..... now that took some effort. There's about 130ft of elevation change in about 3/4 of a mile.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ftrobbie and @taeliesyn! Happy to join in the fun. Here is my first post:
    W11D3 done with 4.75 miles.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn I was planning to do 5km but will see, not to proud to bail on runs anymore. ;) Dugite looks like such a nice snake, I looked it up this morning pity that it is venomous. Nice going on the run, and doing some hill repeats. I'm out to do 28-40 miles of commuting on bike depending on what way I go home. Have fun and thanks for the advice,
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @taelisyn and
    @ftrobbie. You are right, the snake does look nice!

Welcome @snha
    Nice run there @maggiekat7.
    @moyer566 well done on keeping your rhythm in spite of a poor run
    @LLduds I am sure you can do it!
    @Just_Ceci Really nice that you are making time to coach girls and help your friends. Wish I lived near you!

Ran an easy 5k today. And since I was feeling energetic at the end, ran up the neatest hill a couple of times. Not bad at all! I don't know why I was worrying about hill repeats before. I don't want to rush things, will be aiming for a weekly mileage of 6-8 miles depending on how I feel for a couple of weeks.
    Wish you all a happy weekend!
  • LLduds
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Good rule of thumb, is if you can run it in a week you can run it in a day (for a race, without racing). Doesn't mean it will be pretty, and definitely not to be done as a regular thing, but it's at least a first stage check.

My training plan has me running 3 weekdays (3-4 miles each of those days) plus a long run on the weekend (6.5 miles being the longest I've gone). So I guess I'm good then? I'm not harboring any illusions of it being pretty...."wounded animal" is more descriptive of my long distance running at present :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I took today off. I've got 2 hours of yoga planned for tonight.
    tomorrow is wk14d3 and I'm hoping to run a long run again on sunday, but we are are traveling and i don't know how early we are leaving.
    I have a plan for the HM that i like
    starting with getting faster
  • ftrobbie
    Options

My training plan has me running 3 weekdays (3-4 miles each of those days) plus a long run on the weekend (6.5 miles being the longest I've gone). So I guess I'm good then? I'm not harboring any illusions of it being pretty...."wounded animal" is more descriptive of my long distance running at present :)

At a weekly mileage of circa 16 miles you could do 8 miles but you are likely to end up injuring yourself, if done frequently, only because you will suddenly subject the body to a lot more stress. Normal guidelines is to make your long run no more than a third of your total mileage. So running 4 days at 4 miles or something similar, 3 days at 5, and then 8 at a weekend would be sustainable, but you would be best to build to it slowly, 2 extra miles a week to build from your current base of 16 miles. Building slowly and sustainably wins this race.

Enjoy your running and good luck whichever way you decide to do it.

• LLduds
    Options
    I'm going to try a slow and easy 8 miles for my long this weekend and see how it feels. Nice knowing you if I don't make it back...LOL!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Did Day1 Week1 today.

Day2 Week 1 done. The weather is perfect now, but it's getting dark early... Kinda creepy to jog in the darkness... :)

Day3 Week1 done! :) 5.8 miles with the warmup and cooldown... :)
  • Aine8046
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Welcome @Aine8046 :) Just get yourself a headlamp or torch. It's great fun running in the dark then. Full moon nights are even better :D
    Thanks! Cannot imagine myself running with a torch though :) I usually have a dog leash in one hand and a phone in other. Headlamp might be an option... :)

• Aine8046
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    Had some trouble with the app and couldn't get to any of the group posts for almost a week! Great to see all the updates.

After almost a 2 week break, went for a 2 mile run yesterday. Trying to build up distance once more.

I had a long break, like 3 or 4 weeks. Was running up to 10 miles before that, but back to 5-6 miles now! :)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Well got out and did a trial duathlon, roughly the right distances. 3miles (5km), 13.2miles (20km), 2 miles(3.7km). So paces went at 10:07 min/mile for the first run, 16.7mph for the ride and 9:55 min/mile for the last run. Given it was the first run since the marathon, I tried to take it easy, so I know a duathlon try out is not exactly the easiest session to do, although I have been cycling and it might help flush out any more damage. The first run was ok, the ride was also good but the last run had me struggling with calf cramps. I ran through it and ironically it was faster than the first run (pace wise). So 7 November will be ok, I used a cycling top and triathlon shorts for both ride and run elements. The shorts were a good mix of not being too distracting on the run cycle and certainly provided enough padding for the time on the bike. All feels good. Will see how it all settles down today.

Good luck with your runs and training
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    W14d3 done
    It felt great. The beginning is hard but I found my stride. Yay
  • LLduds
    Options
    I made it through my 8 mile run! It was actually a pretty smooth run, but it did take me 87 minutes. Whatever though...I live to run another day. And I think I should be fine next weekend on the 10 miler as long as I don't try anything crazy (like pushing harder than my 10-11 minute pace). Happy weekend to all!!!
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 Excellent! Finding my stride makes me so happy when it happens!

W12D1 -- I kind of created my own w12d1, walked 5 minutes and then ran Ran 6.51 miles in one stretch!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Now the spectre of knee giving up and not being able to do my first marathon has passed, I have been able to get back to doing some running. This morning back to a 4 mile foundation run at Z2 intensity. Felt good although you can tell autumn has arrived, cold chill, grey skies and reduced visibility (ground mist). At least it is light, enjoy your day, I'm off to do some rugby coaching. Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Well got out and did a trial duathlon, roughly the right distances. 3miles (5km), 13.2miles (20km), 2 miles(3.7km). So paces went at 10:07 min/mile for the first run, 16.7mph for the ride and 9:55 min/mile for the last run. Given it was the first run since the marathon, I tried to take it easy, so I know a duathlon try out is not exactly the easiest session to do, although I have been cycling and it might help flush out any more damage. The first run was ok, the ride was also good but the last run had me struggling with calf cramps. I ran through it and ironically it was faster than the first run (pace wise). So 7 November will be ok, I used a cycling top and triathlon shorts for both ride and run elements. The shorts were a good mix of not being too distracting on the run cycle and certainly provided enough padding for the time on the bike. All feels good. Will see how it all settles down today.

Good luck with your runs and training

Those are great paces. I can't imagine running faster on the last run. The hardest runs I've ever done were after hard bike rides! I want to do a duathlon soon.