Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
Almost 11-weeks on a modified OMAD diet. Down 29lbs so far. SW 250, CW 221, age-54, 6'1"

I grew up a very skinny kid. 145lb at 6'1" at age 16 according to drivers license that I still have. 155lb at 3.5% body fat fresman year in college (I ran track middle distances and lifted weights). I spent a lot of years almost force feeding myself trying to gain weight. Then came age, allergies, late nights in grad scool eating junk to keep going, a few injuries, and gout. I went on the gain 5lbs/yr program tell early this year when I was 256 or so.

Since I started gaining weight, I've tried numerous times to loose it mostly through exercise. I always ended up injured or sick and would loose ground. My eating habits didn't help.

I tried dieting a couple of times by skipping lunch and only eating fruit which affected work and was really hard. I did that while working out a lot and went from 240 to 211. I got injured (foot while trying to run too much on tight indoor track while heavy) and the diet wasn't sustainable due to crazy hunger. I gained it all back and some. I also tried not eating dinners but that wasn't good either going to bed hungry all the time.

I have been fasting once a month, 1st Sunday of each month, for my adult life for religeous purposes. This Sept after doing my Sunday fast I thought about doing it some more to loose weight. I've toyed with the idea of doing that twice a week but never really tried. I got on-line to see if others were doing it and if it worked and discovered this site and a lot more on IF. I read arguablysampson's story and other stories and decided to give it a go.

I've found this easier than anything else I've tried. I get to eat tell full like I like to eat which has been huge for me. I've fasted for a day at a time for years so there wasn't a big adjustment. First week made me a little nervous because I didn't know if I could do it. I found it wasn't that bad. I think there has been other benefits besides loising weight and I can truly see me taking this all the way to my goal weight. Thanks for your stories and guidance, it has really helped. I will post some more on progress and experiences with this diet.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited November 2015
    Nice background. It's amazing the changes time can make to our bodies and eating struggles. Keep us up to date.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    I'm fascinated by the special meaning you give to fasting and how you have woven it into the rich fabric of your life in such a seamless fashion that I can't see the stitching.

• blambo61
    edited November 2015
    I changed my goal calories to 2500/day instead of 1500/day. Anything under 2500 I'm supposed to be loosing weight so I dont think it is a failure if I go over 1500 as long as I don't go over 2500 for the day. I will still try to have a 1000 deficit for the day so I can loose 2lb /week, but if the deficit is a little less than 1000, I'm not going to worry about it. I still look at that as a success. What is a priority for me is feeling satisfied for the day so I can come back fasting the next day. As long as I'm making progress, it is a win day for me and if it keeps it sustainable, then I will eventually get to my goal weight. If I push too hard and make it unsustainable, then I might not get to my goal weight. I think this is a positive way to looks at things.
  • blambo61
    Gained 2 lbs since last week (3 more from lowest point in the week). My total cals for the week were a neg 4400 so I should loose a lb if I recorded accurate. The weight gain is mostly food weight. I will see after omad for 3 days. Was a good Thanksgiving feast, time to loose again. Seems like I retain more food weight when eating twice a day which I did most of this week. I also wasnt 7000 cals under maintenance, just 4400 under.
  • arguablysamson
    It's water/food weight...comes and goes.
  • blambo61
    Already gone. Down from 223 on Sun morn to 220 Tues morn. Now for some progress!
  • blambo61
    I think getting back where I was that quick shows that a single day of indulgence (or even a couple days) isn't going to cause bad results. If I could eat 35,000 excess cals in a day, I might gain .5 lb or so and not 10lbs. The body cant process it that fast and you will just excrete it. Because of this, I think it is ok to feast occasionally for special occasions. I think allowing that makes it more acceptable mentally thus making it more sustainable for the long run. Continous overeating of course will pack it on over time.
  • ishasharma0704
    ishasharma0704 Posts: 22 Member
    I
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I think getting back where I was that quick shows that a single day of indulgence (or even a couple days) isn't going to cause bad results. If I could eat 35,000 excess cals in a day, I might gain .5 lb or so and not 10lbs. The body cant process it that fast and you will just excrete it. Because of this, I think it is ok to feast occasionally for special occasions. I think allowing that makes it more acceptable mentally thus making it more sustainable for the long run. Continous overeating of course will pack it on over time.

This!!
    It is so much fun to realize that we don't have to gulp down boring and bland food for the rest of our lives. We get to live a little too. Very important for psychological eaters like me.
  • blambo61
    I

This!!
    It is so much fun to realize that we don't have to gulp down boring and bland food for the rest of our lives. We get to live a little too. Very important for psychological eaters like me.

Me too!
  • blambo61
    I find myself browsing multiple foods during my eating window instead of eating multiple plates of the same thing. I am consciously and subconsciously am trying to make sure I get proper nutrition in.
  • blambo61
    Check out how much gut I've lost! Don't worry, I have a shirt on. My profile pic is current. There is one in my photos like it before starting diet. I'm excited about that!
  • blambo61
    I put the pics here.

h0fgf1hro1xx.jpg

• blambo61
    edited December 2015
    Mistake
  • blambo61
    edited December 2015
    Mistake
  • blambo61
    I put the pics here.

h0fgf1hro1xx.jpg

azxrtd2ywj7g.jpeg
  • arguablysamson
    Alright!!!!!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Great work, big difference already.
  • ishasharma0704
    ishasharma0704 Posts: 22 Member
    Oh wow Bob! All I can say is amazing! Great work!
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    That is substantial, my friend. Great job!
  • blambo61
    edited December 2015
    WEEK 13 FASTING DIET

Start Weight/Height/Age/Start Date:
    250 / 6'1" / 54 / 06 Sept 2015

Weekly Weight Loss:
    7, 3, 3, 1, 3, (1), 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, (2), 4

Total Weight Loss:
    31-lbs / 13-wks

Current Weight:

Goal Weight:
    199, 20 to go

Diet Method:
    Fast breakfast and lunch. Eat from around 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.. Take protien supplements and vitamins. Usually eat a fruit-yoghurt smoothie every day. Eat all food types and some junk allowed. Eat tell full (usually 1800 to 2400 cals is all I can eat since stomach shrinks). May cheat on Saturdays if very active or want a break. May eat a lunch with co-workers once a week or so.

This is by far the easiest diet I have tried. Once I eat, my stomach wants to be fed. Eating small meals or trying to skip a meal after I've started eating for the day is torture! Not eating at all, I don't get that hungry since the fasting acts like an appetite suppressant. I also get to eat tell full each day! I'm saving lots of money on lunches and don't have the afternoon crash or "need" to eat junk to keep me going in the afternoon (saving money there also).

Exercise:
    3-4xweek either bike or walk for minimum of 60 min. I feel better than I have for a long time. I am recovering well. I have had no problem doing this amount of exercise while fasting.

General Comments:
    I think benefits of the fasting (blood sugar regulation), not eating junk in afternoons, being diligent with vitamins/protein supplements, and drinking a lot of water during the day has made me feel a lot better. I actually feel like working out after work instead of feeling exhausted after work. I have energy into the evenings also which I didn't have much of before on my old routine (junk in the afternoons to get me to the end of the day).

Week's Comments:
    Well I gained about 3 lbs thanksgiving week and lost 4 from the high this week. Gained some food weight from eating out last night and today I cheated since I allow that on Saturdays and felt I needed it today. I'm going to post the weeks lowest weight since I'm usually lighter midweek than end of week. It will show less ups and downs. I will still do weigh ins at end of week though or when I remember to fo it. I started lifting weights and I think it has slowed the weight loss a little. That should go away in a couple of weeks. I'm not lifting heavy so should be minimal muscle gain.