Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I lifted this morning! BACK - BB rows = 3x8x70; single arm inverted grip pulldowns = 3x8x35 each side, rack pulls 3x3x165, DB pullovers 3x12x20, DB shrugs 3x12x27.5

Beeps, I can't quote the science Schuler discusses, but one of the primary things I took from it was that as we lose weight, because we lose weight, our bodies don't require as many daily calories! Example - 2 women, both 5 4, both weigh 150, but one woman is 150 after losing 25 pounds over the previous months. Even though both are the same weight, and discounting genetics etc., the woman who has lost weight will have either eat even fewer calories or work harder to burn off more calories because of her weight loss or she will gain weight. It's not that starvation mode thing everyone claims happens, just that a body adjusts it's needs. He also says for most people, 6 months of dieting only - after that it's probably not going to produce any results.

Schuler also says which program isn't as important as doing it, doing it hard, and doing it with all you have. He thinks people spend too much time lollygagging around trying to find a program they like instead of just doing it.

He also suggests that Strong is designed to hit all those places that sometimes are overlooked, including balance work and that sort of thing - which I know I really need to get back to. The thing I liked and hated about NROL4W was all that "fiddly" work - because that's the stuff that keeps me mobile and flexible. No I really don't like single leg split squats etc. Actually I HATE them, but I know, as I am getting older, my balance is not good! I want to improve that! (NROL4Life also focused on those "getting older" issues)

Like you, I too am 10 pounds heavier than last year. I went away to trial in October 2014 and for a couple of months, no workouts, little sleep and mostly horrid food. I have struggled to get back to all the things that I know are good for me since then!

...and we have another trial starting the first week in February 2016, equally as long. I will be living in a hotel, eating deli food for the most part and surviving on a few hours of sleep nightly.

So my immediate and current 2016 goal is to get these 10 off so I am back even when this new trial starts!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I am 10 pounds heavier too. Can't seem to get moving today. Very sluggish. Walked through bedroom to get in shower but the bed invited me to snuggle. Hopefully I will walk later.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yeah I recall being quite fed up realizing that as I lost weight I had to eat less! But then again, it was even harder to eat more once my energy expenditure increased and I wasn't getting enough fuel. Sure I lost weight but it became unhealthy. I'm now about 10lbs over my previous 'goal weight' but much healthier for it. And with leaning out and muscle gain, most of my measurements have stayed about the same. It's hard to juggle the weight loss, diet and health at the same time. That's why I don't look at my weight anymore but rather my body fat % which tells me a lot more about how my body is going than the scales.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I was thinking along the same lines Jo. I have put back on about 10lbs of what I lost but I am not any bigger because of it. My scales has shown no change in body fat % since I started tracking it about 18 months ago but I know that I have lost fat and gained muscle. Although I still have a long way to go.
    Since posted last week all excited about PRing my deadlift I got a bad dose of the flu and haven't lifted since last Thursday. I am going to try to get back to the gym tomorrow but it is deadlift day again and I somehow doubt that I will be feeling too strong. :(
    I haven't gotten strong yet but it is on my xmas wishlist. Technically I don't need it since I have strong cruves and the workout from the Lean Muscle Diet to get through, and I also want to do stronglifts for a while. But I can never have too many books and I really like the way Lou writes.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think I may have to get Strong too. I'm happy to plod through what I'm currently doing, but it would be nice to have another book to read, and like Dou, I like the way Lou writes.

Today's achievement so far (its 9am), is that I did a gym session and I haven't completely lost my *kitten* with the kids (only a little bit :grimace: ).

Three more days of school. Just three more days...

And eight days of work.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Met with trainer before lifting. After that, I lifted weights, jogged on treadmill, went out for sushi and checked out a different sports nutrition store. Got some p28 to try, white chocolate, which does have whey so I won't have it often but will be interesting to try a 14 grams of protein peanut butter. Plus got another shaker cup cause 1 is not enough. This one has a spot for "pills" so vitamins and such but I'ma put snacks in it, hehe.

35 - upper hypertrophy

incline bench 4x10 @ 70 - challenge by the end. Some reason I had 75 written for last time but pretty sure I did 70 as that was my fail point weeks ago. May try 75 next week though.
    db fly 17.5 4x8 - tad more challenging since increased this time
    seat row 2x8 @ 80 and 2x8 @ 70 - the tension felt off even 70 was almost too hard, not sure why it feels different sometimes.
    1 db row 4x8 @ 27.5 - not bad, moving up slow but steady on these
    cable bicep curl 3x12 @ 50 - tough for those last reps
    cable tricep extension 4x10 @ 70 - not bad but still a challenge
    30 minutes jogging on treadmill
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks, suelegal!! I am going to get the book.....I have kept up with the niggly stuff and my balance (and ankle strength) are the best they have been since my pre-pubescent gymnast days!!!

I am interested in eating less.....and Venus has always lead with the EM2WL is pure b.s.....so, I do try to live off starvation calories when in fatloss mode. I succeeded at this three years ago.....being unemployed has seriously brought my eating to new emotional low levels. :(

I feel lame even discussing this.....

Anyway, I lifted today. BOOM!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I keep losing my posts! I've been reading but haven't gotten to post in a few days.

Great feedback on Strong! Thanks ladies! I'm doing stronglifts and like it, but I miss lifting 4-5 days...I do some cardio on off days but not a cardio fan :(. I'm reading something called shockwave protocol and it incorporates carb manipulation into it, which historically is what's worked well for me in weight loss. Not jumping off the SL bandwagon just yet, but wondering about adding to it? Hmm.

And I too am 10 lbs heavy than I was this time last year. :# Funny! I think some of it is muscle, but I also know some is still fat from my 3 weeks of fun back in June.

And to that point about losing weight and then needing fewer calories than similar weighted people who haven't lost weight...that is 100% true!!!! Sadly :( . But, I am hoping with continued lifting, muscle gain and watching my carbs I'll eventually be able to maintain around my calculated level of calories. When I'm strict LC and working out I can maintain around 2300cals, no problem. But when I add carbs in at that level I start to gain. Still fiddling around with things...but having spent most of my adult life as morbidly obese I understand I am not like everyone else :o

Missed working out today, just cardio. Too much running around. ;) I get to lift tomorrow :). Yay!

Keep lifting you lovely ladies! Even if the scale isn't our friend...the muscles and iron are real !!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Combat done. Over cals because I ate fudge. Long day. Hoping for a good night's sleep - supposed to be DL day tomorrow and I can't even imagine having the strength.

Hoping too to receive Strong for Xmas/ Bday.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    So my plan to get back to the gym today after my flu was over optimistic. I went back to work and by lunch time I just wanted to crawl into a hole and sleep for a million hours. So I decided to give myself more time to recover.

Julie, I am also finding that the types of food I eat have an impact on my weight. I might have IBS so the doctor suggested that I try the low FODMAP diet and when I stick to it my belly shrinks and my weight drops, but as soon as I eat something with wheat I expand again! Its interesting to see the impact it has on my body.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Beeps, you should never feel lame! I know your work ethic makes you feel that way but really, the word has radically changed and jobs, career paths, the whole employment landscape is not what it used to be. You should instead simply acknowledge that being without a job is stressful to you and you react sometimes! I totally get it, and I totally honor it. You get a double BOOM today ! :p
  • manic4titans
    Options
    On the treadmill as I type.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    DNA-Hope the time passes quickly for you!
    Beeps-(((hugs))) the low calories thing isn't sustainable long term, but I've seen limited success with short bouts of it. You've had seasons of great results (before Europe for instance?) and I think we all have seasons. Be gentle on yourself. And good job on lifting!
    Dou-glad you didn't hit the gym...hope you feel better fast! Bummer on the ibs. Hope you can find a balance with some yummy foods that agree with you. My Dh and dd(12) are GF and ice cream is their friend ;).
    Jo-yum! Fudge!
    Dawn-jogging after lifting? You inspire me...not to jog, that's crazy talk :wink: , but to add some cardio or at least take shorter breaks btw my lifts ;)

I just made the most delicious jambalaya! Why have I never made this before? So what if the kids don't Iike spicy, have some plain chicken and rice ;). I'm skipping the rice, but Dh will like it. Making my nose run! (I'm fighting a cold. Maybe I can burn it out?)

I lifted today. It felt great! I deloaded my BOR by 5 lbs and felt so much better with ROM. My squat form was good too! Yay!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    suelegal wrote: »
    Beeps, You should instead simply acknowledge that being without a job is stressful to you and you react sometimes! I totally get it, and I totally honor it. You get a double BOOM today ! :p

You certainly have phrased it well.

I am reacting very negatively....

• Beeps2011
    Options
    Yes, Julie, "before Europe" was the LAST time that I really felt good about my health/nutrition/fitness plan....and actually even about my career (which I thought was "on hold"....not on PERMANENT JOB-HUNTING MODE).

The GOOD news is that I really do have a few months to shed the fat....it isn't like I am sliding into a bathing suit in 2 weeks. The BAD news is that I really do NOT have my head in the game, even though I beat myself up about THAT every single day!

• Beeps2011
    Options
    So, I DID lift today....that is three days in a row.

Tomorrow will be a rest day. BOOM!

I have finished the BIG de-clutter!! Toys are all gone. EcoStation has been visited. And 12 bags of garbage (6 last week and 6 this week) have all left me feeling a big lighter.

The house looks GREAT!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I had a long post typed out. Not sure why my phone did not post it. I can't remember it all.

Strong book came in today. YAY!

My short term goal is to continue walking and lose 5 pounds by 12/31.

Long term goals; Begin lifting. continue walking, and lose 20 pounds overall. I want to feel strong again.

• jo_marnes
    Options
    I did manage DL day today - increased reps too. Upped weight on single leg press and calf raises. Was pushed for time so only did 1 set of single leg DL - which worked well as legs were jelly and balance was shite, lol. Been out of the house 8.30am to 10pm today. And early shift tomorrow followed by Christmas party/ meeting. No workout tomorrow.

I'm not convinced I'll have my abs for Christmas although my TOM bloat is not helping. I think I have lost fat though - that or gained more muscle as I can see more definition on my legs. I took a 'before' pic so maybe once Christmas comes I may see some changes in the abdominal area. Although I've not seen the results I want yet, my goal is helping me to track macros better and reduce the amount of carbs I was eating. And reduced my alcohol intake. All positives :-)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well Jo. Stomach is my trouble-y spot but I can always envy/appreciate the success others see there. :wink:

I lifted last nigh after work. It was a long night with needing to get gas (attendant was quite chatty) and stop at another store for work supplies cause we're running out and freight isn't coming till late tonight. So, after lifting I just ate some turkey my roommate had cooked then went to bed cause I got up earlier than normal this morning to take supplies in to work before coming home to nap.

Another day on PHUL for me. I am liking it so far, though still go meh to calf work and bicep curls. My elbow got a bit cranky from the skull crushers but think I need to back down a little since I know the weight now of the ez curl bar. It's feeling better today, but was cranky yesterday. I'm trying to do more sets on the hypertrophy days also so we'll see how it goes, since can do 3 or 4 sets.

36 - lower hypertrophy

front squat 3x10 @ 85 and 1x6 @ 105 - had a long sleeve shirt and the bar slid on the last set hence the 6 instead of getting in 8. It was heavier though at that point and more challenging. Hands/wrists are not up to par for that amount and won't be for a while, 85 still makes them grumpy.
    bar lunge 4x8 @ 75 - I've not increased much cause lunges aren't my fave cause the knees and they do twinge a tiny bit with these but nothing at all with squats.
    good morning 4x10 @ 70 - first time switching between sets and not keeping weight the same as lunges, not too bad as I don't want to increase a lot on these.
    leg extension 4x8 @ 80 - changed the seat so it felt better overall
    leg curl 4x10 @ 70 - tough but think I situated better on the seat and felt more in hamstring this time than before, though still a little in the calves.
    seated calf press 4x10 @ 105 - still meh, I don't even rest as long as any other exercise cause I'm ready to be done and yeah, #teamnocalves :wink:

Normally, I would be working freight most of my shift today but because weather/truck issues, we won't do much today. I'm going in later than scheduled in fact, so I can work extra tomorrow to get more done then. Fun times.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Good lifting, ladies! BOOM!

Today, I rested. Tomorrow I lift!!