Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    @baconslave

Great ideas! I was prelogging for awhile and it really helped. I haven't been recently so need to get on track. Thanks for the reminder!

When I was really pushing it, I logged M-F on Sunday and prepped meals accordingly...this only lasted about a month before I came to my senses that this was a bit whacko!

After reading your post I realized that I've been intermittent fasting, more through circumstance than intentionally. Recently, it's not unusual for me to only eat one meal a day (besides my BPC). I've been busy, the fat is satiating, and I try not to eat after 7pm.

This morning, I held tough! I actually rubbed some oil on my belly as I was getting dressed and talked out loud to it, squeezing my curves and pointing out how many snacks that we had stored already! The ludicrousness of the moment was enough to distract me until I got to work.

@4031isaiah
    Christine, I don't worry about slowing my metabolism. I have plenty of fat stores :blush:. Also, it's my understanding that while slowing metabolism can happen, that it takes awhile on very low calorie diets, like 800ish for weeks or even months.

You can do this! There are a lot of kinks. :smile: But since I've keto adapted, it's much easier to deal with my cravings and even though I go off plan about once a week, I haven't binged in almost three months (I have an eating disorder). It's been so worth it for me.

LOL! You tell that belly who's boss. Not it! :lol:

When I got hungry on other eating plans, "hangry" was the word alright. Frantic, anxious, excruciating. I'm not going to lie and say when I started out doing IF on keto that it was a breeze, but I didn't kill anyone or make them cry. I was irritable toward the end of my fasting window, but it wasn't so bad. I did a lot better when I did IF with the BPCish keto-coffee. I was able to make it till about 2:30 or 3 pretty regularly. I think it's good to do some when you have a hang on keto. It helps you realize what real hunger is. And it's a powerful feeling to know YOU are in control. That you are finally mastering your hunger that you let run rough-shod over you before.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    @baconslave

Great ideas! I was prelogging for awhile and it really helped. I haven't been recently so need to get on track. Thanks for the reminder!

When I was really pushing it, I logged M-F on Sunday and prepped meals accordingly...this only lasted about a month before I came to my senses that this was a bit whacko!

After reading your post I realized that I've been intermittent fasting, more through circumstance than intentionally. Recently, it's not unusual for me to only eat one meal a day (besides my BPC). I've been busy, the fat is satiating, and I try not to eat after 7pm.

This morning, I held tough! I actually rubbed some oil on my belly as I was getting dressed and talked out loud to it, squeezing my curves and pointing out how many snacks that we had stored already! The ludicrousness of the moment was enough to distract me until I got to work.

@4031isaiah
    Christine, I don't worry about slowing my metabolism. I have plenty of fat stores :blush:. Also, it's my understanding that while slowing metabolism can happen, that it takes awhile on very low calorie diets, like 800ish for weeks or even months.

You can do this! There are a lot of kinks. :smile: But since I've keto adapted, it's much easier to deal with my cravings and even though I go off plan about once a week, I haven't binged in almost three months (I have an eating disorder). It's been so worth it for me.

LOL! You tell that belly who's boss. Not it! :lol:

When I got hungry on other eating plans, "hangry" was the word alright. Frantic, anxious, excruciating. I'm not going to lie and say when I started out doing IF on keto that it was a breeze, but I didn't kill anyone or make them cry. I was irritable toward the end of my fasting window, but it wasn't so bad. I did a lot better when I did IF with the BPCish keto-coffee. I was able to make it till about 2:30 or 3 pretty regularly. I think it's good to do some when you have a hang on keto. It helps you realize what real hunger is. And it's a powerful feeling to know YOU are in control. That you are finally mastering your hunger that you let run rough-shod over you before.
    Speaking the truth !! It's amazing that when I was doing typical SAD how hungry I would get between meals etc....now that I'm integrating IF as well as Fast days into my Keto /LCHF program I feel so much more in control!!!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    I'm 24 hours into my 36 hr fast .......so far I've had a few rumbles but nothing I couldn't handle. Hoping to make it all the way !

Yes! You can do this. Hunger really is a passing thing.
  • JodiSW
    edited December 2015
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    @baconslave

@4031isaiah

Congrats Jodi! It sounds like you're doing great! I love coming to this thread and seeing how people are doing and what their plans are for success.

For now, my plan is to just fake it 'til I make it. I know I'll get there, I just have to get there.
    @baconslave

@4031isaiah

Congrats Jodi! It sounds like you're doing great! I love coming to this thread and seeing how people are doing and what their plans are for success.

For now, my plan is to just fake it 'til I make it. I know I'll get there, I just have to get there.

Thanks so much Christie. It's been a long struggle. And sorry I called you Christine...I know it's Christie. :smiley:
  • JodiSW
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I could live my day in reverse... Like, if only I could start at the end of my day and make good choices, it would make all of my efforts at the beginning of my day worth while,

I plan out every single bite I take the day before. After I eat my last meal for the day, or if I'm going to be busy I'll do it earlier, and I track my whole next day. It's there for me the next day, and I follow that plan, I just have to measure out the amounts, unless something comes up. Even then, I'll know exactly how many cals and carbs I have for that meal to fool with if I end up having to get take out. If I want room for a specific snack, I plan it first, then fill in the rest of my day.

My coffee and it's innards are tracked first (priorities :lol: ), then my main meal (supper), then I make room for the snack I want, and then use the remaining calories for lunch. I don't have to think the next day, or entertain temptation. What I am eating is predetermined, I just have to prepare and shove it enthusiastically in my bacon-intake-orface.

Just something you might want to try to see if it might help you.

Hi, I have been a member to the group for a few months, but usually don't write, just read. I am having trouble with my diet this time around.
    I weigh and measure all of my food, but I am going to try what Baconslave does. Sometimes, most of the time a rationalize my exercise and eat more than I should.
    Thank you

Prelogging IS super helpful. Personally, I rationalize all kinds of things about my diet and exercise. It's like my logical brain is negotiating with someone in the throes of delusion most of the time...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    It's like my logical brain is negotiating with someone in the throes of delusion most of the time...[/quote]

I also feel I'm in the throes of delusion at any given moment!!! My biggest truths when I go through a weight loss phase are logging honestly to a tee, and restricting my calories as well as carbs. Yes, I have a couple years of logging that back this up, sadly. I keep it under 20 carbs as well and get busy handling all the 'eat me" carb talk that goes on in my head. If I do these things I start losing again. When I let up or get sloppy I stop losing or stall or gain.
    And that's what a life time of yo yo dieting does for you fitness pals! Have a good food day all!
  • baconslave
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I could live my day in reverse... Like, if only I could start at the end of my day and make good choices, it would make all of my efforts at the beginning of my day worth while,

I plan out every single bite I take the day before. After I eat my last meal for the day, or if I'm going to be busy I'll do it earlier, and I track my whole next day. It's there for me the next day, and I follow that plan, I just have to measure out the amounts, unless something comes up. Even then, I'll know exactly how many cals and carbs I have for that meal to fool with if I end up having to get take out. If I want room for a specific snack, I plan it first, then fill in the rest of my day.

My coffee and it's innards are tracked first (priorities :lol: ), then my main meal (supper), then I make room for the snack I want, and then use the remaining calories for lunch. I don't have to think the next day, or entertain temptation. What I am eating is predetermined, I just have to prepare and shove it enthusiastically in my bacon-intake-orface.

Just something you might want to try to see if it might help you.

Hi, I have been a member to the group for a few months, but usually don't write, just read. I am having trouble with my diet this time around.
    I weigh and measure all of my food, but I am going to try what Baconslave does. Sometimes, most of the time a rationalize my exercise and eat more than I should.
    Thank you

Prelogging IS super helpful. Personally, I rationalize all kinds of things about my diet and exercise. It's like my logical brain is negotiating with someone in the throes of delusion most of the time...
    elize7 wrote: »
    "It's like my logical brain is negotiating with someone in the throes of delusion most of the time..."

I also feel I'm in the throes of delusion at any given moment!!! My biggest truths when I go through a weight loss phase are logging honestly to a tee, and restricting my calories as well as carbs. Yes, I have a couple years of logging that back this up, sadly. I keep it under 20 carbs as well and get busy handling all the 'eat me" carb talk that goes on in my head. If I do these things I start losing again. When I let up or get sloppy I stop losing or stall or gain.
    And that's what a life time of yo yo dieting does for you fitness pals! Have a good food day all!

Well the personality I rationalize with is my food-demon. I call him Loki. He sits on my shoulder, the little *kitten*, and encourages me to do all manner of things, all of which would end in me regaining this weight. I've learned to tune him out, ignore him, and occasionally flick his *kitten* of my shoulder.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

My own personal experiences belie this a bit. Generally, it's when you make a change by over 300-500 calories daily consistently. You'll burn it that high for a week, your body will get the drift and start lowering the metabolism to balance. It may take it another month or so to get there, but it will catch up and stall eventually.

So, if you were eating 2000 calories a day regularly or more, then dropped to 1500 to 1700 a day without stepping down slowly, your metabolism will still burn at the 2000 calorie intake rate until it realizes you aren't eating that anymore, then it will either pause until it can evaluate what you are doing, or it will gradually slow until things level out.

The body aims for homeostasis, so it's looking to balance what you're doing to stay steady. That's why we have to work to lose weight, etc. I know this doesn't happen with everyone, and for folks carb or calorie cycling it doesn't really apply, but that's because it's not consistent. When you're consistent, the body adjusts to keep up. When you're all over the place the body might pause to take stock. When you're intentionally cycling, the body will up things, then slow them, etc, and that kind of change CAN be good, if you've restored some metabolic flexibility.

Remember, too, that we can't tell the body where to burn fat from or when to burn it, it will do it's own thing...
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    LOL- Loki. Right now Loki is whispering in my ear that there are brownies in the lunch room. Leave me alone and send your brother my way!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    LOL- Loki. Right now Loki is whispering in my ear that there are brownies in the lunch room. Leave me alone and send your brother my way!!!

I know, right? It IS Thor's Day after all. :wink: We could definitely use an improvement in the "scenery."
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ LOL!!!!! Too right!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    So I'm in the middle of a water fast, and I can't believe it's been 48 hours....so far so good.....I will probably break my fast tomorrow morning sometime, depending on how I feel. I'm surprised how energetic I'm feeling !
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Aaa
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    So I'm in the middle of a water fast, and I can't believe it's been 48 hours....so far so good.....I will probably break my fast tomorrow morning sometime, depending on how I feel. I'm surprised how energetic I'm feeling !

That's awesome! I think I might dive into a 3 day egg fast tomorrow.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    LOL at the little Loki demon that sits on your shoulder - have you guys seen the comic about the Blerch? It's here - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running - the artist is talking about when he goes running but I find the Blerch follows me around too!

I hope everyone's had a good week! I've finished university for the year now (yay!) and the takeaway on Tuesday night went well - I had tandoori chicken tikka and it was yummy. It's funny because before this WOE I would have ordered a curry, rice, naan bread and poppadums and eaten the lot. This time I ate my single portion of chicken and thought 'Actually, I don't need any more food now'. I love feeling so much more in control of my hunger and what I'm eating :)

I'm down 1lb from the start of the week, so not the biggest loss but still better than the stall I was on before so I'll take it :) I'm catching the coach to London later today and am going to aim to just eat as well as possible while I'm down there and hopefully stay keto. We're staying in a hostel that provides free breakfast, but in my experience this is usually toast and cereal so I might have to fast through until lunch on just coffee :/ Oh well, we'll be doing loads of walking, so I'll get my steps in at any rate!

The plan is to start an egg fast on Monday next week and continue until Friday, so if anyone would like to do it with me add me/message me! I'm still wondering about calories as all those eggs, cheese and butter seem to add up to quite a lot?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Congrats on the lb down! I'm hoping to start the egg fast today and go until Sunday if I can.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    New day, keto strong. Been on target all week. Tonite is dance/ drink/happy hour nite. So, after monitoring this for about two months i find that i will retain water til sunday or monday due to the liquor, but as long as i stick to my keto script it wont affect my overall progress at all. This is good because i finally found a place where i can let my hair down for a couple hours, make some new friends - so important for me as a new, single empty nester - get in some exercise via dancing and not go horribly off track with my keto life. It seems like the only downside is water retention for 2-3 days and while i dont like seeing it there on the scale ...it is predictable and consistent and it all goes away by Monday morning. Ahhhh, finally some fun for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Yay! Sounds like you've got this down to a science.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    This morning I enjoyed the most delicious bullet proof chai latte ever! I basically just use the bulletproof coffee recipe with black tea instead and then added spices… Yum!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The strange thing about Keto is that I'm not actually hungry. Other diets meant I had to push past hunger to be successful. This is totally a mental game for me for different reasons … I have to remind myself that I'm not hungry and re-train myself to not eat out of habit.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    This morning I enjoyed the most delicious bullet proof chai latte ever! I basically just use the bulletproof coffee recipe with black tea instead and then added spices… Yum!

I love chai, but have not attempted to replicate the spices and add it to black tea! What kind did you add? I m anxious to try it !!