How long can you plank for?

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
I'm here trying to do things that won't aggravate my back. I have lots of energy but can't do much yet. It's cold here in the winter, I want to use this time of little sunlight and snowy days stuck inside to get strong and toned for the summer.

So my new thing is going to be planking.

I thought 2 minutes sounded doable. Well, ha, yeah no. I was able to do 1 minute but was shaking after 20 seconds.

If anyone wants to join me I'm going to try to work up to five minutes.

gms2rjju1jn1.jpg

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm in....probably just for the 20 seconds for the full length, though! lol
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Lol, I know, who knew it's so hard, it looks so easy. The first few seconds are like nothing, then all of a sudden it hits you.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, in a version of me that existed far, far away (what makes you think I went and saw Star Wars today?) I used to be great at pushups. I assume that I probably would have been good at planking too. I used to knock out about 75 in a minute. Last time I tried to do them, I think I got 5 in. My shoulders are shot. I might try this, but I don't see much way for me to make it the 5 minutes.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I tried a push up challenge before. It went ok but I started having issues with my neck and shoulders too, that's why I was thinking this might work. I'm gonna follow the chart and see if it works.
  • vilenski193
    vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Gonna start tommorrow before breakfast. Keep me posted how u are doing
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm in but the sound of holding a 5 minute plank just kind of makes me nauseated. I can go for almost a minute. I have very little upper body strength, it's all in my legs.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @vilenski193 sweet! I will update every so often

@SoosannahK I know 1 minute was a lot. But it's gotta be possible, right? I'm the kind of person that wants everything ask at once, so this is going to be a good challenge for me to see if I can gradually work towards something and achieve it :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'll do it. Will start when I work out tomorrow.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I've been d o ing the ones where you are on your elbows, these look harder. I can only hold them a couple . Of seconds! Working on it.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I did it on my elbows too, it was hard enough that way lol
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Planking actually aggravated my back (and I didn't really have pre-existing back issues) when I tried a plank challenge with friends a year or so ago.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You can plank from your elbows too as an alternate method. That's how I do it... When I do it...
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm definitely having to do the elbows form ....no upper strength here!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the position tells me that it's not for me. Use of my arms like that is a set up for pain and headaches. Best of luck to the new folks, and more power to the seasoned veterans!
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I suck at planking so much, but I'm in. Reckon day one will be fine, the rest not so much.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find straight arms like that WAY easier than the elbow version.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Elbows. 90 secs and I splat like roadkill. Keen to improve. I am in
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is to do it at a slant with forearms resting on something like a bench or even a stability ball. When I could not do it with arms locked or on elbows, this is what my trainer had me do and I am happy to say it worked for me!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm really feeling it today. Elbows seemed easier since my wrists get sore from push ups, I figured it would be the same with this too. I like that I can feel it already, hopeful that means I'm getting stronger. I read online some people can plank for hours. Since I did a minute yesterday I'm going to build of that and not start at day one.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Planking actually aggravated my back (and I didn't really have pre-existing back issues) when I tried a plank challenge with friends a year or so ago.

:( that stinks