How long can you plank for?

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Planking actually aggravated my back (and I didn't really have pre-existing back issues) when I tried a plank challenge with friends a year or so ago.

You want to avoid looking up. Tuck your chin slightly (but don't drop your head either), pull your navel toward your spine as hard as you can to engage the transverse abdominus, and do a little kegel to engage the pelvic floor. There's always an adjustment you can do, if you aren't strong enough in the core, YET, to support a full plank. You can try an elevated plank with your arms on a table, bench, chair, or even the wall.

I have neck issues too, from a car accident. I imagine a string on the back of my neck gently pulling my jaw and head back instead of letting them droop forward. Squeezing your shoulder blades together, without letting your shoulder move upward is another alignment trick. You want to pull your shoulders down away from your head, and tuck your lower ribs inward.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Phew 1:10 done. I decided I'd keep my eyes closed to the time and see how long I could go before I felt like I couldn't do anymore. Opened my eyes it was one 37 seconds. Without timing it I'd give up way before my body needed to.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I did it for 90 seconds. I hope I feel like doing 100 seconds tomorrow.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @lithezebra nice job! I bet you'll be able to do it!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Napier_mum wrote: »
    I suck at planking so much, but I'm in. Reckon day one will be fine, the rest not so much.

LOL, thanks for that. That's me too, but I'm in. Worst case I stay at day 1 forever!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, @lithezebra!
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Woop woop made it through day two. It was pretty hard though! Bring on day three!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @Napier_mum Nice job! I get excited for the next day too. I feel like I've accomplished something after I'm done :)
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I feel like a slug, but 20 seconds today! I will get there!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Probably not even 20 seconds for me....lol But ya' Gotta start somewhere.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Did 1:40 today.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    OMG, very shaky 10 seconds! My wrists/arms can't support me.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Try doing in your elbows/forearms. My wrists have issues so I can't do them like the pic either.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Did 1:40 today.

WTG! You're like a pro
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @midge_m @Time2LoseWeightNOW you gotta start somewhere. 20 seconds is great! I'm so excited to see where everyone can build up to :)
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Try doing in your elbows/forearms. My wrists have issues so I can't do them like the pic either.

Thank you! Will do! :)
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Survived day 3. It was really hard work! Plus I did it in my jammies so the chesticles were hanging low. Glad no one was around to witness it! :p
  • Hispanicprincess
    Hispanicprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Before I had kids and when i was working out and had lost almost 50lbs i could hold a plank pose for 1min 50 secs! I was working towards the full 2 mins. That was 6 years ago after 3 kids and 60lbs+ gained i can only hold up to 40-45secs, depending on how much my shoulder feels. I also try to do it on my elbows or alternate between straight arms.
    I may start on my planking again its an overall great exercise, it really works out so many parts of your body than just your core.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    No plank for me yesterday, I messed up my low back Sunday and need to rest a little. Hoping to be able to get back to it today.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I tried both versions and the elbow version seemed to be harder...but still not many seconds...planked.. : )