OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Watching the skies brighten this morning as I sit here and really itching to get back out on the trails once more. The dogs decided it was time to be up early today, so I got up with them and let Myron sleep in. I enjoy the stillness of the mornings, with time to reflect and catch up on what is happening in your lives as I sip my coffee and water. I'm definitely a "coffee queen" who enjoys it's dark, rich taste throughout the day. Yup, that and dark chocolate are my vices! Realizing how dehydrating it is, I offset that with drinking plenty of cold water all day long.

Patti - Planning that surprise birthday party for your Mom sounds like such fun! It seems that she is indeed excitedly preparing for the portrait sitting. I'm sure she will be delighted with your thoughtfulness. When I recall how exciting it was for my Mom to have family portraits taken periodically, I can almost envision your Mom's anticipation. My Mom had a whole wall of photos in the house, as well as small photo books she could have in her purse. She missed us when we moved away and as our extended families grew, so the photos became a joyful link to her children and grandchildren. Formal photos are so rare now and perhaps that is what makes them even more special, particularly to the previous generation. We share images so quickly now online, enjoy them briefly, maybe file them somewhere and move on with life. Sadly, my folks are both gone now and we missed my Dad's last birthday party, which I regret.
    It is truly wonderful that you can enjoy such fun together, creating many lasting memories! Thinking about you especially today and praying for your friend's surgery. Hang in there.

Diane - When you finally get home after a hectic day and begin meal preparation, it's totally understandable that you'd want to satisfy hunger without delay. Family meal times are truly a treasure and you've worked out a schedule that accommodates your daughter, which is nice. Unfortunately, denying myself earlier can make it tougher to stop eating later, when I am full. Incorporating a planned protein-rich snack in the afternoon can be helpful, so that a later dinner time isn't adding emotional or hunger stress onto physical fatigue. I'm rooting for you!

Janet - Great to start a new month off with coming in under calorie goals AND getting some "to do items" accomplished and off your list permanently! Enjoying our beautiful jewelry and finding ways to organize it is something I haven't paid enough attention to. Found some wonderful silver artistry in Mexico when we spent 5 years there and just don't think about wearing it as often here. On Sundays I always reach for my favorite pearl earrings, although there are other items in the same little box that I could choose. I have a ziploc bag of various necklaces and earrings and occasionally sort through those, but maybe a proper storage of them would encourage me to make use of more variety. Enjoy the salon and the new color!

Bert - Sounds like the doctor's appointment went very well, which is always such good news. Great that you can help out with the testing process at the school today. It must be so frustrating for all that effort to be subject to problems with getting accurate results back to the teachers and students! My husband (Myron) is a retired high-school teacher and can certainly attest to some challenges here in Canada. They stopped doing standardized testing 25 years ago, such as the departmental exams in his high school, but at least they did get the results back pretty reliably. Part of the problem was that they were culturally based (rural vs. city) and some groups just had no exposure, so they would "guess wrong". Makes one wonder how accurate results can be then and how helpful? Likely you'll be on your feet and getting lots of steps in while helping them out and you get to be back around some familiar faces!

Cindy - Those respiratory issues sound very serious and I hope you find relief really soon, in whatever way seems to provide an easing of your breathing. You'll need those healthier lungs back when you are able to get active once more, after plenty of rest to fully heal them. Please continue to be gentle and patient with yourself during recovery. It must be so frightening for you at times! I will continue to pray for your healing.

Karla - It's nice to hear of more inches disappearing for you...you're doing so well with dedicated steps you continue to take on the strength training program and other goals you've set in front of yourself. It must be such a busy time for you as you organize and prepare for Chris to move out, along with the other obligations to your clients and planning activities and travels to enjoy in the weeks and months ahead. Finding quiet time must be a challenge! Perhaps as you reach for that next cold glass of water you can take a deep breath and celebrate how far you've already come! I'm so thankful that your positive leadership allows us all to enjoy getting to know one another better and encourage each other on this journey.

Jeanette - Great that you can now have a better idea of how many calories are being spent and can plan around that for your meals. Those fitness devices are sure a good motivator, from what I've read so far. When I looked them up to compare there are just SO many with various features, so I guess I'd need to decide what is important. I agree that a HRM make good sense. Sometimes I wonder how far up we've hiked (in feet), so that would be nice to know. Not sure I'd wear it when I sleep though, as I think I'd just find it too uncomfortable. Maybe when we next go into the city I will look around at the options available at Costco... we'll see. Hope things are continuing to calm between your daughter and son-in-law, so that the kids can enjoy time with each of them as well as in your home with you and Brian. Your grace to them both is making a difference, along with your prayers and hopefully our prayers too.

Hugs to all and Happy Wednesday,
    MaryLynn

• luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Boy when you get up at 6am it makes for a "lot of day" lol. My BFF did very well with her surgery. Final path on Tuesday. They said all there was to remove was scar tissue from the biopsy, but are sending for pathology to be certain. Sentinel node was completely clear so no axillary node dissection was required. Which means no drain and only 1 small incision in her armpit and one on her breast. Her surgery was at 9:30 and they released her before noon. They let us go back to be with her before and after surgery, just like family. She told the staff that we were her Fairy Godmothers. It nearly made me cry. It was a bitter sweet day for the three of us. The other BFF lost her daughter less than 3 years ago and today would have been her birthday. She was grateful to have something to occupy her time. She and I went to lunch and then her family will be coming to her house tonight for dinner. Glad she will not be alone on this day. So eating not my best thing today. Skipped breakfast and had Chinese for lunch. But at least it was a Mongolian grill where I got to choose the food, seasonings and sauce that went into my meal. Black light Zumba tonight, if I can stay away!

Karla, yeah on the inches lost. Bigger yeah on getting your office and bedrooms back. You have done well by Chris and I hope all that you have done for him will carry him into this next phase of his life. I pray that he will turn into the young man that you expect him to be and that he has the potential to be. You have set the groundwork well.

Cindy, why do we not ask for help when we really need it? You need much more rest, pushing through the will only delay your recovery. I know Rick would do anything if you would just ask. Our men ar good just need guidance from time to time.

Jeanette, I dance all the time. Just let me hear some music. That is why I love Zumba, it is as close to dance as I can get in an exercise class. I miss the old days of dance aerobics and jazzercise.

Janet, wow you got so much done yesterday. I do like having my stuff to be all together in categories. My biggest problem was remembering where I put things when I organize. So I now have a notebook entitled "where stuff is"! Basic but I now know where to find things.

Bert, great Dr visit, a1c looking good and losing weight to boot. Sorry about the credit card lost and found, but glad it was found with no unauthorized charges.

Myra, glad to see your SMILE! Made my day.

Diane, hoping your kitchen stayed closed last night. I have been thinking about getting a chain to put across mine when it is closed, lol.

Thank you all for your prayers for my dear friend. Her husband was either glad we were there or overwhelmed by our presence, hard to tell because he is a pretty quiet guy. But he knows us both to be forces of nature and seemed to enjoy our company as we waited.

I think I might try a 30 minute siesta. Pray it doesn't backfire on me,
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi, all -- Much happy news here -- waiting for Patti to let us know how her friend did and thinking that will be good news as well.

Bert, excellent A1c. Too bad about your friend's card. Good thing she cancelled it -- at least once when I had my number skimmed it was at a restaurant. What a hassle.

Cindy, please don't soldier on when you're fading! As sick as you've been, take your time to get better.

Karla, hooray for the inches lost and the decluttering. Glad Chris is flying the coop. You and Glenn have done wonders with him but now it's time for him to see what life on his own is like, and you and Glenn deserve couple time.

Myra, smiling is good for all of us and it's something I try to do often. Reading your post made me smile bigtime.

Jeanette, well, it's not the Argentinian tango you're teaching. What fire -- but not appropriate for a Christian college. The drama of the tango is so compelling, even without the subtext of the "real" tango.

My hair turned out great -- because I'm getting much more grey, he took it a notch lighter -- and he had two stylists-in-training observing my cut, which he narrated -- an excellent teacher. He studied under Vidal Sassoon and others -- very lucky to have become his client when the guy I'd been going to moved out of state. Ran a couple of errands, now home for a bit before I go to a meeting this evening at the clubhouse in my subdivision. I don't belong to the club but they're looking for new members. Doubt I'll join but might meet some people and there will be some nibbles, which will be my dinner.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of testing is done. I got 7,000 steps today just walking students back and forth to their classrooms! Total for today is 8,644.

Janet: Let's talk gray!
  • bertevans
    Options
    Janet: I lost the rest of my typing so I'm doing it again. I'm white in the front and gray in the back.
  • bertevans
    Options
    For crying out loud! I lost the last half again. I used to dye my hair but couldn't keep up. It grows fast.
  • Java_Mom115
    Java_Mom115 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!!! Sorry it's been a little while since I last checked in. I'm in the process of reading about those of you with hurt backs, amazing trips, honorary ceremonies and the like....won't be able to stay awake long enough to personally comment to each of you but I'm thankful for your continued encouragement for me!
  • Java_Mom115
    Java_Mom115 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh and I meant to say I hope that everyone is healthy or on their way there-Cindy! You especially!
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Another day of testing is in store for today. The students are working so hard. I'm very proud of them. Have a great day everyone.

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning OMG ladies/friends.

Bethann- so nice to see you, you were missed.

Janet- My mother had her hair styled by Vidal Sassoon himself in England in the 60's when we lived there. He loved her red hair. I need to have my grey striped removed tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!! Boy, us ladies take a lot of upkeep, don't we? Between our nails, hair, clothing and skincare and jewels. Glenn has been leaving me the sweetest notes each morning. It really starts my days so nicely.

Patti- I am so very pleased to hear of the great news on our BFF's nodes and positive findings. I am certain your presence there main a monumental difference for both her, and her silent husband. Given the fact you are usually a late sleeper I'm sure it was an exhausting day both mentally and physically for you, but that is the type of devoted friend you are!! It is the kind of daughter you are, and it is the kind of mother you are!!

Bert - I think you hair color and style is adorable on you! You are doing great on your steps. Especially given your recent surgery!! You went through that back surgery with flying color my friend.

Marylynn- The early morning, alone, sipping my Chai tea, looking out over my pool and yard, listening to nature, the birds, is my special time also. It is peaceful and a nice start to my day. I purchased my first set of perennials yesterday, with some pretty Gerber daisies, coloful Petunias and some sturdy fushia plants for around the mailbox. I also picked up some green bell peppers plants and jalapenos for my raised vegetable bed. I love the spring!!

I better run, long day today with working at the podiatry office and then helping with our fundraiser at the Springhill College. It is a Wine Tasting with a silent auction and is always very high class catered affair.

Question: I clocked over 12k steps yesterday and none of it was planned walking. It was all busting my buns working around the home, running around Lowes, cooking ,etc. Does that count as exercise? Ususally I am outside walking or rounding the house. I am shocked.

Karla
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies-
    everyone is sounding in a great place. Patti so thankful to hear the news about your GF-
    Still coughing and the drugs are slowly working I should have taken cough medicine before bed last night but forgot- some tough conversations last night so I wasn't thinking clearly before bed. Woke up at, still awake at 230 and finally drifted back to sleep. Not going to help with recovering if I don't rest.
    Karla- all steps count and yesterday was a great day for you. Keep it up and love the inches dropping.
    Janet- how did the meeting go- meet any new people?
    Bert- your hair is super cute on you.....
    Jeannette- I cracked up when you talked about big movements for the tango- keeping it clean.
    Myra- your smile comes through loud and clear in your posts.
    Going to attempt to eat more normal today just not into salads at the moment.
    I'm having Meg's birthday dinner on Sunday- a week delayed and not sure what to have. She wanted to grill but the weatherman says snow and I told her Momma doesn't stand at the grill in a snow storm- she chuckled. There have been a couple of years when that has worked.
    I need to let Em know about our plans- we're keeping it just small so it will be nice.
    Need to get back to my day job- hugs to all and thanks for being here for me. It means a great deal.
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Options
    Quick stop as this and the next few days will be super busy. Gym this morning, then going to get Mom some flowers and stop by for a bit since today is her actual birthday. Then a bit of shopping,cleaning and laundry. Then back to the gym, dinner and more prep work. Tomorrow the class is at 9am, will finish my shopping and prep work. My cousin will be her tomorrow afternoon to help. She has MS so I try to give her anything she can do sitting down. I think I will make a big pan of enchiladas for dinner tomorrow to keep it simple. So if you don't hear from me, rest assured I am a busy little beaver here.

Bert, great job on the steps. How nice for you to be able to help with the testing. You sound like a proud Momma with those kids. You must have been an awesome teacher.

Karla, what is this Spring you speak of? We have snow and freezing temps. Looks like rain all day Saturday for the party. My Mom is going to really fret about that. She is weather obsessed. I agree with Cindy, all steps count. Bet you are happy to have your home back but I know you will miss and worry about Chris when he is gone.

Cindy, you need post it notes everywhere you might look, especially your bathroom mirror, that says ME FIRST. Please do consider it, lol. You are of no use to anyone, especially yourself when you don't take care of your health. Praying you find the strength to make this a habit, not just when you are under stress of family and illness.

Janet, there is nothing so valuable as a trusted and competent hairdresser. I have been with mine over 20 years now and she has certainly seen me through every cut, color and style there is and has done each one to my liking. I rue the day that she decides she can no longer do hair. She has pretty severe RA and fibromyalgia and is not yet 50. Her rates are way below the big salons prices. Glad you are happy with your new color. Can't wait to see it in person.

Myra, keep smiling, it helps us all,

Beth, nice to see you and hear you are doing well. That is the beauty of this board, come as you are, when you can and we will be happy to have you join us. Don't worry about personals. It takes a lot of time and you have your hands full. Just saying hi makes us happy.

Suzi, loving revisiting the Grand Canyon thru the lens of your camera! I know you are having the time of your life. I felt the same way as you did when I first saw it. I always imagine what must have run thru the minds of the first humans who laid eyes on it. There truly are no words to describe it's beauty, it is an emotion that has to be experienced live. So glad you made it a part of this trip.

Waving hi to the rest of the crew. Not meaning to forget anyone but time is flying and I need to get to it.
    Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    I hope you are all doing well today! Any big plans for the weekend? (well, we know of one big surprise party, right?) Hubby and I have a busy weekend planned, he has two dinners to go to for work; one Friday and one Saturday. The one on Saturday is in Portland, which is near where my parents live so we'll spend Saturday night with them afterward. It isn't so far away we couldn't drive home, but it is a good chance to see them and visit. Sunday night I also have a meeting with a few people who are trying to get a Salsa Rueda group going here in the Salem area. I am really excited for this to happen!

Last night I drove a church bus (it is a short one that you don't have to have a CDL for) for the Wednesday night program. My whole adult life if I was going to church I was always VERY involved. Since this illness I have not been able to be involved at all; it has been hard to only go to church on Sunday and not get connected otherwise. Then a couple weeks ago they were asking if someone could drive a bus to take kids home from the program. It is a small gesture, but I am happy to be able to do this one small thing.

Well I'm off to get school done, play taxi and whatever else comes up today. I hope you all have a good day and that you are inspired, delighted, encouraged, enlightened and/or appreciated at least once today (well, you already are because I appreciate you all)

Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi, all -- hope to get to personals later. Meeting was long and sometimes frustrating but I met some very nice people who live in my subdivision (900 homes). No single men, of course, but all very pleasant people. I had a glass of wine, some veggies, a bit of bar cheese on my celery and a glass of wine. Was way under for yesterday's calorie allotment but it will help me get seriously on track if I undereat for a few days so my real allotment will seem like a feast.

March 3 -- going to make it day three of FULL recommitment!

Tired today. Snow was drifting down lightly, in big, soft flakes (no real accumulation)m switched to rain, now back to snow. I have been unable to warm up since I got home last night -- furnace turned up, swathed in a thick, furry bathrobe. Going to burrow in for a nap under my heated throw -- just can't get going today and am listening to my body. Laundry can wait!

Back later for personals, etc.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Quick check in with some busy sounding ladies here!!

Patti is on fire with exercise and preparation for her mother's photo shoot, giggle, giggle. Bert is busy honoring her previous school with her presence and leading our young to great heights. Cindy is slowly getting better and juggling family birthday and times together. Janet is getting to know neighbors and is chilled to the bones trying to get warm today. Jeanette is having two nice dinners out and seeing her parents to boot. How nice of you to drive the church bus for the youngsters as well as your dancing classes.

What am I doing this weekend? JJ and I are going to see a movie I hope. Some sewing, and teaching myself to play my favorite song "Seven Years Old" on my piano !

I'll check back later if I can.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    Quick stop to take a breath. Day has flown by and both my exercise classes were "extreme" to put it mildly. But I may have made them that way. Really gave it my all, payed attention to form and pushed past where I normally give in. I did a lot more running where I normally walk, held my planks longer, upped my weights to 10 pounds and increased my body angle for TRX. And the best part is I could! I have spent far too. I have time lately saying I can't and not really challenging myself. Now I know I can do more and it feels awesome. Guess my adrenaline is still flowing. All that being said, dinner was not the best choices but had the calories for it so indulged myself.

I took Mom some flowers and a large bag of frozen cod. Weird, I know, but she truly wants or needs nothing. She had mentioned Tues that she only had 1 piece left and hated the thought of going to the store for it. So I told her that I looked on the Internet and the gift for 86 years was "fish and flowers". She got a huge laugh but told me it truly was the best gift I could have given her. She mentioned the photo shoot about 10 times. Has already decided where to hang the picture and wants to go to Steak and Shake for lunch after. I can't wait to see her reaction Saturday, may be disowned!

Ok, back to work for me.
    Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Today was the end of my work week, so I was busy all day. Not all the best food choices, but I need to track it and see where I am. I NEED to get back to pre-tracking so I plan better, as opposed to tracking after the fact!

Not a lot of time for personals, but just one note: Patti, you had BETTER get a real family photo at the party or your mom is going to be disappointed at missing her "photo shoot!"
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning all and TGIF.

Patti- I am with Diane. A photo shoot needs to be done!!! I know you are great with the camera and could make her a wonderful collage. Be sure and dress your best and have a great pic of you, your sister and brother in law and your daughter and her family. Have it enlarged through Walgreens, and there you go!! Of course you can still have a professional one done later on, if desired. She will love the surprise party to no end also. She has mentioned that over and over also and has probably silently wondered why you didn't take the hint. LOL.

Diane - I am with you on the pre-tracking. Luckily enough I am usually under my calorie goal anyway, but once in awhile I am caught off guard. I put a wonderful baked spaghetti on our recipe board you might want to look at. You can tweak it to your liking. It would be great for a family or church gathering as it makes a large dish.

My car is giving me an alert so I am off to the Chevy dealership this morning. I'm going to look at the new Equinox while I am there. It has 4G WiFI built in and other new options. Minie is paid off, has 140k miles on it and still under full warranty. We decided to wait until the end of this year to buy another, but it doesn't hurt to look!!

I did my strength training last evening. It really encourages me when I work with the weights. I follow the video to the letter, watching my stance and making sure I am doing it correctly. I feel like I am getting a great core workout. Today I will definitely working on the lower body, I just feel like with all the walking I get enough with the walking, but maybe not with the weights. I will see. Glenn told me the other day how proud he was of me for continuing to work on myself like this. He has been so sweet. He walks by and just says "walk, walk , walk..lol. I love Leslie Sansone. Her 20 minute workouts are just right!

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    My sis and I have already said we were going to have to set something up to get a real portrait done. My Sis needs to get her hair cut first, it is a bit ragged, lol.lots to do today, so glad my cousins will be here to help this afternoon. Really glad they moved our Zumba/Pilates class up an hour. Gives me time to get to the grocery before they get here. The only cleaning left to do is the bathroom and the kitchen and bathroom wood floors. Edd did the vacuuming for me....without being asked, totally shocked me there. The best thing is all the guests ar family and close friends. Nobody judges and I never worry that they are. My home may not be a show place but it is welcoming and everyone always feels at home here. That means more to me than anything. I am truly blessed to have such loving people in my life and that includes each of you. Thanks for listening to me as I get ready for this party and all the other events in my life.

Karla, you are in the groove, good things will keep on happening with your body.

Not sure if I will be back until after the party, but I will have tales to tell I am sure.
    Patti
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    good morning everyone! I am having great fun following the surprise party saga! :) How sweet of Edd to vacuum for you, unprompted. he's a keeper ;)

I don't have much time right now but wanted to share some really good news: I had lunch with my adult daughter yesterday, and she looked fantastic! She has lost, probably, 65 lbs in the last year and i'm VERY proud of her! We don't discuss weight....... but i overheard her say to one of my sisters at Christmas that she had lost 50 pounds..... and it would appear she's lost about 10-15 more since then. She told me she's afraid to lose more because of the stretch marks and saggy skin. "mom.... i'm only 22 and i have saggy boobs!" I just smiled at her, looked down at my chest, and said.... hey.... at least you HAVE boobs! LOL

I also want to quickly add how touched I am that you wonderful ladies seem to like that i'm smiling. I agree with MaryLynn..... there's science behind the act of smiling making a difference in our brain. so, even when i have to fake it, i'm smiling, and it seems to be helping my attitude, so I'll take it!

Have a wonderful Friday. My sister is coming over later today. I thought we were meeting for lunch, but apparently she's begging my husband for IT support, and indicated she wants to do pilates with me. I apparently haven't admitted to her that I stopped doing the dvd when i hurt my shoulder and then my back...... so I'll take it VERY easy and hope i'm physically up for it. My back only twinged once yesterday..... so i think i'll be OK.

wow, for not having time, i surely am wordy. I'll try to check back in tonight.

Myra