Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Disaster swim!!
    3000m in 60 minute session

Really demoralised how slow and unfit I've got but I guess that's what happens when you haven't trained properly since the beginning of December. :cry:

Oh emma, emma, emma... Did you know that you're twice as fast as I am on your disastrous days?? Give yourself the time and space for this. Nobody goes through life on top of their game all of the time. Know that you'll look back at this time and remember the struggles and work it took to get through it. But for the love of Pete, cut yourself some slack :heart:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 I guess it's all relative!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Seriously, cut some slack. I don't know if that euphemism translates, but take it easy!
    I was on track to hit my two miles without stopping goal today but due to high winds and power outage, had to cut my swim short. They kick us out when the pumps don't work. 2200 yds in 50 minutes. [outdoor pool problems]
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had a lane to myself and I had my favorite playlist ! Life doesn't get much better than this !!!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2400m.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    2.5km yesterday (can't remember what I did but there would have been a lot of crawl. Today I was in my local pool and the clock was missing so I have no idea how long I swam for, but I swam 2.2km - I was focused on doing more tumble turns (I really have to do more of these) so was aware that I wasn't as fast as normal. I like tumble turns and most stop being lazy about them.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    No swim yesterday or today. I ran the Shamrock Run with my daughter. 15K. I thought I might be writing checks my body couldn't cash, but we crushed it. A street race for trail runners is a dream. She's a great running buddy too, considering the difference in our ages. I was supposed to do it with my sister that I run with, but she went on vacation (where, oh where, are the rolling eyes emojis???)

Can't wait to get into the pool tomorrow. I expect to be sore, but the deep water will help, the tabata will be good for me, and the hot tub will be... HOT! :)
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Sounds like a good run @girlwithcurls2 - I wish I could run but I am useless and will stick with swimming. Another 2km this morning with more tumble turns. This morning every other turn was a tumbler and it was hard work, but I will get there.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Disaster swim!!
    3000m in 60 minute session

8x50 as swim/kick/pull/swim x2

Three times through the following:
    4×100 free
    100 easy
    3x50 kick as free/back/br
    3x50 pull

The first time through the 100s were on 1.40, second time on 1.35 and third time on 1.30.

200 warmdown

Really demoralised how slow and unfit I've got but I guess that's what happens when you haven't trained properly since the beginning of December. :cry:

Lol I so laughed reading this!
    I wish I could swim as fast as you on your "disaster swims"! Lol
    :smiley:
    100m on 1:40, 1:35 and 1:30!!!

Wow!

• AquaticQuests
    Options
    So yesterday's swim was meant to be a straight 2.5 km freestyle swim, but the pool was chaotic with loads of kids swimming in every direction for at least 45 min of the time.
    So I ended up doing about 900m freestyle.
    The did about 300m kick sets.
    Then did some more freestyle, some breastroke and a couple of butterfly laps.
    So it was an all over the place session, but another bean for the jar I guess.
    I now do freestyle kick sets at every opportunity now that I realised how weak my kick was and hope it'll help in the long run.
    If the soreness in the legs is anything to go by, it certainly is helping exercise them legs!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Today's swim was about 65 min of drills and interval sprints of all sorts, in all strokes!
    It was a really tough session, and it's a good thing I train on an empty stomach because at one point I thought I was going to throw up (puke) in the pool!
    Yes it was that hard. It's been a very very long time since any sort of physical training has brought on that sort of reaction.
    But hey - I wanted a new challenge so I'll take it on the chin and keep plugging away!
  • troutgulch
    troutgulch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I haven't been posting every swim, but I am trying to aim for three days a week, minimum of 2000 yards each. I got a kickboard for my birthday last month so I work 50 kick in between each long set, so it works out to 200-400 kick each workout. I have a very weak kick, so I'm trying to build up and convince myself to KICK when I am swimming.

I tweaked my shoulder last night! I felt fine leaving the pool and when I got home and was doing dishes out of the blue I got this pain along the top of my shoulder and along my trapezius. Pretty sharp, and has lasted since then. Last night I iced it, this AM took some ibuprofen. I'm so bummed. I had to skip my group HIIT workout with my coworkers this am. I wonder how long it will take to stop hurting?

Still out with a flu but glad to see everyone swimming away!
    Best rest the shoulder and give time for the pain to subside.
    Look into the shoulder exercises that have been posted on here before, that help to prevent shoulder injury! Swimming can take a toll on the shoulders, and the preventative exercises are very important and vital for long term shoulder health!

• troutgulch
    troutgulch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You have a little setback, but I'm betting you will be through this before you know it. Feel better!
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    No swimming today as I was at the physio. I was getting hand pains and numbness and today the physio basically said its all down to very tight pecs and shoulder muscles. Am allowed to carry on swimming, but have to do a load of daily exercises as well. After one set of them all this evening I am now sore!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lessons tonight after 3 Big Running days. ( 20km, 10km, 7km ) Legs were dragging. 1600m Between Warmup, Drills and Cool down.
    Front Crawl ladder drills on descending pace and rest.
    50m x 4 sets; @1:45, @1:40, @1.35, @1.25, @ 1:20, @1:15, @1:10.
    By the time we got to the 1:20 I was getting all of 2-3 seconds of rest before kicking off for the next 50m.
    Then 400m of kick 8x50m, Fr, Bk, Br, Fr, Bk, Br, Fr, Bk. This kick set was customized for each person to work the weakest kicks more, that's why I had lots of Front Crawl and Back Stroke kicks with Breast stroke as a rest. It was a good routine and I really enjoyed it.

@AquaticQuests I can relate to that type of workout - its one of the reasons that I keep signing up for lessons - to be pushed to my limits by the Swim Coach. March is the last set of Adult Stroke Improvement Lessons for the year as the Pool switch's into a schedule that is designed to support the Schools and kids before they finish school for the summer. Taking lots of notes and copies of the workouts so I can do them myself.
    Today's swim was about 65 min of drills and interval sprints of all sorts, in all strokes!
    It was a really tough session, and it's a good thing I train on an empty stomach because at one point I thought I was going to throw up (puke) in the pool!
    Yes it was that hard. It's been a very very long time since any sort of physical training has brought on that sort of reaction.
    But hey - I wanted a new challenge so I'll take it on the chin and keep plugging away!

@girlwithcurls2 Great run and that it was with your daughter makes it a great day. I agree with you that a street race for trail runners is a dream. A trail race can be a nightmare for street runners. Although there is something about bush - dirt - trails that just can't be explained and I can't wait for the snow to melt, trails to dry out so our club can hit the trees and hills again.
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    3000 including 400 fins, some IM work, and distance repeats. I enjoy the longer distance repeats, did not enjoy the IM's as much!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I did about 2500, didn't keep track exactly.
    I did a few 200s free and about 8x100 backstroke and 4X100 kick.

I swam at a 50meter pool one of my teammates told me about which is not far from my house.
    I am going to try and get some extra practices in because.... the European Championship in London is back on! Woohoo!
    There was such an international outrage because so many people had already booked flights and hotels that the organizing committee reopened registration. The facility has two 50 meter pools. They were going to keep one for warmups but they are now going to run the races in both pools at the same time and have set warm up breaks during the day. It will be complete chaos but should be fun.
    Anyway, I thought I better start training in a 50m pool. It is soo loong! Especially back stroke and breastroke. I won't even try butterfly, lol!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    1 Mile @ 71 minutes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Adult Swim Club - Swim Lessons. 1800m of Front Crawl Ladder sprint drills. 50 mins.
    2x100m @ 120s
    3x50m @ 60s
    4x25m @ 30s
    3x50m @ 60s
    2x100m @ 120s

5 mins rest and repeat the whole set with 10s more/100m and 5s more/50m & 25m.

The last 150m were brutal. I start to chicken wing my left arm and drop my left wrist just before entry into the water for the start of the pull.
    I grumble but I love this type of workout.

MFP said I burned 800 calories doing 50 minutes of Swimming laps, freestyle, fast, vigorous effort. I cut that in half for my log.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2300m.