30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I definitely can't get away without tracking. I don't know what it is. I don't FEEL like it makes a difference in what I eat, but obviously if I'm not tracking, I can't confirm that. ;)
  • glossbones
    edited March 2016
    Lunch was a tri-quarterpounder and a tall Americano. I am feeling hungry today, and I can't wait for the other 13 ounces of meat at dinner time!

Found 73/27 ground beef at Target. Since the grocery store only had 85/15 I picked up two pounds even though I hate to buy my meat in such small portions. :D

How are our other GB-eaters faring? You guys are on what? Day two or three?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    It's day 3 for me! I'm down .2 pounds today for the scale report. I can say that I have zero hunger. I did work today, so I haven't eaten anything, yet. I have had my coffee with butter though. I will be having as much as I can get in here in a bit! :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2016
    I can see your blog from my android phone n love the meat feast. I went sans counting calories for 10 days in USA and put on 5 pounds. Was eating mostly meat, bacon, egg n a few salads. Also some chocolate n cheese which I think may be evil. Back to counting calories tomorrow. Clearly my body has not learned hungry or not. I still have yummy, eat it n finish it (big serves in USA and only restaurants). Lord help me if a sweetener or cashew nut is consumed then I need to vacuum up everything. Wish I had the results others report with not counting n low carb. My bacon feast starts tomorrow.

You really can't judge from 10 days of not counting, especially if you've been counting and restricting for a while. There can be an adjustment period where your body rediscovers that it is getting exactly what it asks for. I wish I had the link to the original discussion, where I proposed what should be expected and how I would design an experiment to prove/disprove the effectiveness of ad libitum eating.

I explained that it can be typical, especially for those who have already lost weight by counting, to see a short-term stall or reversal on the scale as the body adjusts to having control. At a bare minimum, I would want people to commit for a full 30 days (which is where Ad Libitum April originally was conceived). In an ideal world, I would find people who were willing to give it a complete 3-6 month trial (even if the initial results were poor) and report on their success/failure. The only thing I would want that group monitoring would be total carbs (along with fiber and sugar alcohols) and daily weight. Absolutely no counting calories or weighing/restricting foods without carbs. If the scale is stubbornly going up, restrict the carbs further (starting first with sugar alcohols and then moving on the veggie carbs). No other conscious modifications of amounts eaten allowed.

I find that 30 days is enough for most people to realize that it's not the end of the world. For others, usually those with more stubborn or metabolic issues, it can take 3 months. I know one woman who gained for 6 months before her body stopped hoarding the excess and realized it was in no danger of shortage. She then proceeded to drop the excess in a couple months. This is a hard group of people to find. Very few have the courage combined with a strong enough curiosity to risk putting on 5 pounds, 10 pounds, or even more in the pursuit of knowledge about their own body.

As for why the body tends to stall or gain at first, I imagine it's like people who just moved to Florida. You see, I live in Florida and near the beach. If I visit someone's house, I can usually tell how long they've lived here. If I walk in the house and they have tons of shells, sea glass, coquina and other beach artifacts, I know they're fairly new to the state. Heck, I did it when I was a kid. "OMG, this chunk of coquina is so cool. I've got to take it home." After a while, I realized that it was basically a rock. Actually, it was a very common rock. I could find one like it any time I wanted one. There was no need to hoard a bunch of them in my house. Actually, they're not even that pretty or pleasant. I stopped collecting every bit I found. I eventually got rid of most of it and lost the rest. I doubt there's a single piece in my house. I don't even think of it because I could get one any time I wanted/needed. I am content in the knowledge that it will be there if I do need it. I think it's the same with calories. Once the body becomes content in the knowledge that it will get all the calories it needs, when it asks, it relaxed and dumps the excess. It doesn't need a bunch of extra calories when there are calories freely available whenever it asks.

I wish people would try not counting when they first start low-carb (especially if they haven't been losing through CICO first), because they're going to be less likely to even notice the stall as the change in the diet tends to automatically drop some weight anyway (which can mask the calorie hoarding). No one listens to me. So, I just sit here and eat my beef. :sunglasses:
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Day 2 here but I've been eating bacon. Now as much as I love bacon I'm sure I will have to chang it up so me with ground beef.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2016
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Hi @FIT_Goat today I can not see your posts. Says it is private and that I do not have permission :(
    Thxs for the tip on eating without restriction. Fearful I will go back to my old weight so very hard to ignore a rate of increase that wipes out 2 months loss in less than 2 weeks. Starting all meat feast so hope that helps.
  • KarlaYP
    I managed to eat eight ounces of ground beef, like your picture above @Fit_Goat, for my supper. Was a low everything day for me! Scale this morning is down 1.5 pounds, but this is still vacation increase that I'm down from, with 3 pounds to go until I'm back to my lowest of 181. I will get there! :smiley:

@SamandaIndia , the weight increase on the scale will drop quicker than they originally did. I know you didn't gain ten pounds of fat (setting yourself back by two months). Most of it is likely inflammation from the different foods consumed (that's what got me an extra 4.5 back during my trip! I felt terribly bloated in my abdomen upon returning home, and even had a 3.5 inch increase around my waist! Is beginning to improve now, thankfully!), and will get better fairly quickly. Glad your travel went well! Hang in there! :blush:

@Fit_Goat, I wasn't ready for the ad libitum challenge last April since I was a newbie then! I stopped logging, and actively counting, in August after realizing that I wasn't learning more by continuing to log meat, cheese, and hwc everyday. I have managed to continue losing weight, and inches, since then (still am!). In August I was still over two hundred pounds, and as of today I'm at 184, and my clothing size was an 18, and is now a 12! I always felt I needed to log my food to be successful, and thought I would always have to to be able to lose, or even maintain, weight loss! It's very liberating to realize that I can be successful without it! But, I wouldn't have learned it without initially logging every bite, so I am thankful for what I did learn from it!

@krazyforyou , maybe you could do a ground beef, and bacon challenge, if you're needing some variety. Just a suggestion! Good luck hun!
  • glossbones
    So tonight we're going to see a movie right after work and I decided rather than try to squeeze dinner in, I shifted up my eating to 11 oz for breakfast, and 11oz for lunch. That'll do me for the day, and I'll just drink coffee tonight. If I do somehow get hungry later I have some more cooked at home I can reheat.

Tomorrow we're eating out for lunch, at a place called Bare Burger. I'm interested to see what they say when I just ask for the largest patty they have, as rare as their lawyers will let them make it, with absolutely nothing else on the plate (or bowl if they have one). :D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    glossbones wrote: »
    So tonight we're going to see a movie right after work and I decided rather than try to squeeze dinner in, I shifted up my eating to 11 oz for breakfast, and 11oz for lunch. That'll do me for the day, and I'll just drink coffee tonight. If I do somehow get hungry later I have some more cooked at home I can reheat.

Tomorrow we're eating out for lunch, at a place called Bare Burger. I'm interested to see what they say when I just ask for the largest patty they have, as rare as their lawyers will let them make it, with absolutely nothing else on the plate (or bowl if they have one). :D

LOL Love it!
  • FIT_Goat
    The next day is up. I've currently dropped just over 10 pounds on the scale from the first day. I am craving bone marrow. Maybe because I bought a bunch the other day. But, it will keep in the freezer for a couple weeks. There's only two weeks left.
  • KarlaYP
    Wow @Fit_Goat! That's awesome!

I'm finishing day four with 14 ounces of ground beef consumed today. I did eat a six ounce patty as soon as I got home from work at 2:30, then had the other eight ounces for supper. Not really more appetite, but know that I need to eat to provide needed fuel for my body. I'm not missing any other foods, so far, but it's only day 4, lol! I am off work until next Wednesday, so I will be able to spread out eating times and increase macros closer to goal.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    I just enjoyed my first ever triple cheeseburger. On lettuce instead of a bun, of course. It was delicious.

That's amazing that you've lost 10 pounds already. Wow. Way to go!
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    I want to thank everyone posting about ground beef. I actually gave it up for awhile but that was based on the number of calories at mcdonalds and burger King (places I don't visit any more). I guess I would hear you need to stay away from ground beef even though I loved burgers. I had my first burger in a long time (no bun) but with avocado. It was delicious and not as many calories as those fast food places. I'm definitely going to eat more.

I might not post much but love reading and learning from your experiences.
  • KarlaYP
    @rdkstar , I began here by just reading all of the threads. It seemed that any questions I had were answered through questions that others would ask, and I learned so much (still do) from these wonderful people here! I was lurking for a couple of months before I even began to post regularly. Best of luck to you too! Welcome back to the world that includes hamburgers! :blush:
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I can see your blog from my android phone n love the meat feast. I went sans counting calories for 10 days in USA and put on 5 pounds. Was eating mostly meat, bacon, egg n a few salads. Also some chocolate n cheese which I think may be evil. Back to counting calories tomorrow. Clearly my body has not learned hungry or not. I still have yummy, eat it n finish it (big serves in USA and only restaurants). Lord help me if a sweetener or cashew nut is consumed then I need to vacuum up everything. Wish I had the results others report with not counting n low carb. My bacon feast starts tomorrow.

This is what happened to me last year on holidays. 10 lbs in a few weeks! But this year, away for 30 days exactly, no logging, no counting of anything, prepared most of our meals ourselves but ate out on occasion and did visit with family for 4 days. No loses but weight stayed the same. So I think I did one of the April challenges early.

Thinking about Animal April. Need my coconut oil though.

PS. Damon's gave both of us a big beef patty and nothing else, as requested. Don't know how much filler was in it but it was good.
  • FIT_Goat
    I might turn the blog back open for everyone. Just to make it easier. But, it might go back to friends only, if the crazies find it again.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    This is awesome, @FIT_Goat! I love the "meat feast" as opposed to the "meat fast" terms...Anyway, I love this idea, especially seeing the losses you've had. Where are you at now?
  • FIT_Goat
    Thinking about Animal April. Need my coconut oil though.

If coconut oil is the only thing you can't imagine giving up, then keep it. In fairness, I consumed a fair amount of vegetable oils my first year going meat only. It was mostly a matter of convenience. I wanted egg salad and other stuff like that, and mayo is usually full of horrible oils. The coconut oil will be better than that.

In an ideal world, you would avoid all plant products. But, you need to make yourself comfortable. I also recommend no supplements, but I wouldn't make that a strict requirements because they are effective in reducing the level of anxiety some people experience when trying this. They are worried that they'll become deficient, so a supplement makes them feel better. I know they're not in need of a supplement and it's not doing anything useful, but it makes them sleep better at night.

Find a level that will work for you (obviously without plants because that would defeat the point).
  • FIT_Goat
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    This is awesome, @FIT_Goat! I love the "meat feast" as opposed to the "meat fast" terms...Anyway, I love this idea, especially seeing the losses you've had. Where are you at now?

Today I was up 2.6 pounds on the scale (1.2 kg).

Which means I am down 3.4 kg from the start weight and 2.5 kg from the start trend (which is the real number I look at). I have basically lose 5.5 pounds on my trend-line. That's a steep drop. The scale weight is only 7.5 pounds today, but it is expected to bounce around. My body fat %, dropped significantly today, 2%, which tells me that this is water weight today.

I post a chart of the weight at the end of each week. So, that's a graphical representation of what's going on with my weight.