Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Robert.
  • Farback
    Options
    After 18 months I've pretty much squeezed all the gains I can get from the novice powerlifting program I've been doing, and it's time to move on. I did some research using the programming manual from starting strength.com, and decided on the 'back-off set, older lifter' program. 60 in May, so I guess I qualify. My workouts drop from three to two a week, but they're a lot more complex with nine sets per exercise. It runs on a four week cycle with the max lift set increasing each week. I should see the tonnage increase slowly by being a bit more scientific about it.

kfyjo8aumkwp.png

Today's workout:
    Intermediate Workout A
    Week 1

OHP
    45/5
    45/5
    70/5
    85/2
    95/1
    105/1
    115/3
    90/5
    90/5

Bench
    45/5
    45/5
    100/5
    120/2
    135/1
    150/1
    165/3
    140/5
    140/5

Squat
    45/5
    45/5
    125/5
    145/2
    165/1
    185/1
    205/3
    180/5
    180/5
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    After 18 months I've pretty much squeezed all the gains I can get from the novice powerlifting program I've been doing, and it's time to move on. I did some research using the programming manual from starting strength.com, and decided on the 'back-off set, older lifter' program. 60 in May, so I guess I qualify. My workouts drop from three to two a week, but they're a lot more complex with nine sets per exercise. It runs on a four week cycle with the max lift set increasing each week. I should see the tonnage increase slowly by being a bit more scientific about it.

kfyjo8aumkwp.png

Today's workout:
    Intermediate Workout A
    Week 1

OHP
    45/5
    45/5
    70/5
    85/2
    95/1
    105/1
    115/3
    90/5
    90/5

Bench
    45/5
    45/5
    100/5
    120/2
    135/1
    150/1
    165/3
    140/5
    140/5

Squat
    45/5
    45/5
    125/5
    145/2
    165/1
    185/1
    205/3
    180/5
    180/5

That's one heck of a spreadsheet - you've got there. Did you set it up once and only make changes every month or so? Or is this off the dot com you mentioned? Any suggestions for dot coms for women's fitness. I just don't see me stopping in between sets to log. I use UnderArmour's app for recording my workout - it syncs with my watch. It just tells me how many calories I've burned for my height, weight, gender, age and recorded heart rate - while I workout. So it also gives me a ranking for effort expended. The UA Record app has glitches.

• Farback
    Options
    Thanks. I've worked as a machine automation programmer and use spreadsheets a lot. I just update the top line once a month and it all updates. I log in a text file, so for the workout I just open the sheet on the iPad and lift for the week and workout.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Thanks @Farback. Pretty impressive numbers!
  • Farback
    Options
    Did my 'B' workout today on my new program. I certainly won't be doing these more than twice a week. It's a lot of sets and a lot of tonnage moved. I did find out my cable machine was misleading me, the numbers on the weights are only 15=150 if BOTH stacks are moved, so my 320 Lat pull downs and 150 tricep extensions are actually 160 and 75. More reasonable, I had a hard time believing this old fire chief was pulling down 320. Oh well, I'm still moving more than just a few of the young bucks here.

Intermediate workout B
    Week 1

Squat
    45/5
    45/5
    125/5
    145/2
    165/1
    185/1
    205/3
    180/5
    180/5

Deadlift
    45/5
    45/5
    150/5
    175/2
    200/1
    225/1
    245/3
    200/5
    200/5

Rear Lat pull downs
    160/5/3
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Monstrous!
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My resting heart rate is creeping up these last three weeks since growing season has started. From 58 bpm to 62 bpm.

Guessing that's a result of less deliberate cardio workouts(?). During of my current workdays, my heart rate rarely rises above fat burn (95-130).

On a brighter note, I've all most doubled my "Active Minutes" (see link below) from 300 minutes per week to over 750 minutes per week. This last week, my FitBit Charge HR showed 965 active minutes for the week.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp#.VwEToqQrKhc
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Great link!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I weeded and tilled the soil for planting. In the past that would have been enough for me. Still had some energy, so I went to nursery and bought bags of filler soil and manure. (Yes, my husband chided me for spending money on poop). The store employee loaded my car while I looked for plants. When I got home and was unloading, I was struggling with the bags. I thought, "geez, I am weak". I hauled them to the beds, dumped and raked. Then I noticed, what I thought were 20-25 lb. bags were 50 pound bags. Not a big deal for a lot you, but made me feel good that I handled it.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    The operative word here is "bags" - plural - more than one! You rock!
  • marekdds
    edited April 2016
    Options
    LOL! Thanks, I can now honestly say what it feels like to carry 350 pounds of poop.

BTW, farback and Thomas, you guys do amazing stuff! So impressive!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,969 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At the end of yoga class, I was chatting with the instructor and she remarked on how much more flexible my hips are in the past few weeks. She asked if I'd changed something since she felt it was that much of a difference. I said the only change was that I added a stretching session at the end of each personal training workout.

Speaking of personal training, we're back working legs again… On Friday, I challenged myself and threw an extra set of plates onto the leg press. Three sets of twenty reps at 450 lbs… no shakes or adverse affects on the rest of the workout.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    That's amazing. I press 30 pounds for one set of 15! How long did it take you to get to 450 pounds?
  • UncleMac
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    That's amazing. I press 30 pounds for one set of 15! How long did it take you to get to 450 pounds?

My legs have always been strong. We started off doing free weight squats. My shoulder made it difficult to hold the bar so we moved to leg press. It's been a year since I started working with the personal trainer.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Congrats UncleMac! very impressive!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that I am taking Spinclass soon after coming back from an injury and I'm not supposed to push too hard, I biked a Personal Best last night - I usually bike about 8 or 9 miles, but last night I got up to 14.41 !
  • marekdds
    Options
    That is spectacular, Ms. Water!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Awesome, @MostlyWater!! How are you feeling today?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Outrageous NSVs !!! Congratulations to all of you!