Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I haven't been saying much, but that has been about my own issues rather than the group. I've been dieting for over four years now (losing to start with, then maintenance, and now struggling to keep to the maintenance!) and feel a bit burned out - I'm starting to understand why so many people regain after the first couple of years. I keep thinking I have things in hand, then it falls apart again. Luckily, I've managed to avoid any sort of massive regain, but I have a small regain that I haven't quite been dealing with. For various reasons, my enthusiasm seems to be non-existant.

Anyway, that was just an explanation of where I'm at, and why I sound like a broken record when I do post (I'm scared to look at what I said a year ago, because I know I haven't made progress since then!)... what I wanted to say is that this is a lovely group! I'm really glad it's staying open, but will completely understand if you want to close it.
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Vailara, I totally see where you're coming from. We struggle everyday for months, years! And what do we have to look forward to but always monitoring our food intake to keep the weight off. This is why we really have to look at it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Ive got to believe that at some point we can indulge occasionally and not end up going off the deep end. It sure is a struggle, so I understand your frustration. Hang in there! Don't be too hard on yourself!

The last two days have been really rough for me. My body is throwing up some road blocks to this new eating plan. I'm soldiering on though...day nine is done and I'm almost 1/3 of the way through.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Greetings Hatters! I'm back from John's Island and no more vacations planned at this point, so time to get seriously committed to releasing these extra pounds!!! I set three goals for this week and once I feel I've mastered those I will add one more at a time.

I am relieved and happy to hear that you are keeping the group open Snooozie. MFP would not be the same for me without it, that's for sure. Nice job on the logging. I know that can be a challenge for you, and it sounds like are whipping its butt!. I've been browsing through some photos, and , like you, and getting some inspiration from some of me after I lost the 40 pounds. I am determined to get back to that weight, and will reassess any additional goals from there.

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy weekend!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Welcome back! Hopefully the vacations were worth a couple of extra pounds (although I know it's such a pain to get them off - why does it get harder each time?).

Well done on managing to stick with the plan, SuzyQ, especially if your body isn't co-operating. I hope you're feeling better soon. Thank you for your support :).
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    thanks to everyone for responding, and as long as everyone is still getting something for themselves from this group, then its absolutely worth keeping going so looking forward to continuing our journeys together my friends! :)
  • Snooozie
    Options
    welcome back Susan - glad you had a lovely week!! love the new profile pic btw!

Suzy - sorry to hear you're having a few physical issues from the w30; im thinking it has got to be a major shock to your bod so maybe you're just a the stage where its kinda resetting to accepting you're now eating good healthy food and not just "tricking" it ?? whatever is causing it tho hope it resolves shortly!!

Vail - your post struck a chord with me... in that i think part of my own "ostrich" time was in refusing to see just how much of a regain i had had; when i finally had my "come to jesus" moment a few weeks ago as such and stepped on the scale to find i had regained almost 30 of the 60lbs i had lost... that sent me into a mental tailspin of recrimination, yada yada yadda... and the thought that was this just going to keep happening over and over again for the rest of my life was toooooooo overwhelming to handle... so i continued to ignore it for a few more days... and your post about struggling with maintenance hit with me because i completely "flunked" maintenance .. so for me, the only way to start over was deleting my entire history here; all my logged weigh ins from the initial loss way back to 2012. ( my moment happened a few weeks ago when i couldn't get my work pants on) for me i had to get rid of what i HAD lost... because it was immaterial to me for what i have to do now. i think i was using it as a "it's ok look you still lost 60lbs originally) as my security blanket.. and i did pause a few miutes before deleting that day i hit my goal weight lol.

then i spent a week logging everything i ate.... not to stay under cals, but to see what i was actually eating. Then i promprly deleted each day.... i was horrified to see i was actually eating over 2000 cals many days... but that's why i ws using it tht way - to see what i was really eating. anyway.... once that was done i started logging to keep under cals... but its a struggle every day for me to log; im not sure why.. but it is lol.

anyway... its going slowly but one day at a time im getting back to simply eating when i'm hungry, and not when i ain't... and trying to make better choices.. and im also trying this time not to let getting back on track become the sole purpose in my life again; im thinking that will help me think of it more as indeed as suzy said, just my lifestyle of eating well rather than losing weight again. But changing my pic to showing where i started and when i hit my GW has really helped keep me focuse too.. because every time i log in i see that after pic, an remember how great i felt mentally and physically about myself ... and THAT is what i want for me again, not a specific number, just to get to where i feel good and feel comfortable in my own skin...

so that's where i'm at right now.... and currently just trying to get thru the last 2 nite shifts tonite and tomorrow LOL... i will video my freaken happy feet dance Monday morning when i get home and know i don't have to do anymore til the fall - i guarantee it will be a sight worth seeing hahahaha....

• Vailara
    Options
    What an eye opener about the calories, Snoozie! I know we were talking about this when I posted earlier ... it's SO, SO easy to eat 1800 - 2000 calories - after all, that's just normal eating for most women. And yet it can easily be enough to gain for some of us. I've been impressed with how you've got back on track. I really can't face deleting my history yet ... maybe one day, but like you before "coming to Jesus" (loved that expression!), I'm still clinging to the fact that I lost 60lb ... once! I was bigger than you to start, and have never got to be as slim as you at your goal. That picture of you must be an inspiration for you, because you do look seriously amazing there! Those legs! So technically, we probably have similar amounts to lose ... I only regained about 10lb, but I could probably still do to lose 30lb (I was mainting at "slightly overweight"). I'm always impressed that you manage to cope with dieting (and life!) while working shifts too ... I honestly think that's much harder than people think.
  • Snooozie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks Vail... I think the shift work is just "my" extra challenge; but I think everyone has their own "extra" challenge too.. some have to feed other people in the house while trying to lose weight with all kinds of temptation around; or they have a physical challenge, or being a caregiver, or involved in lots of social activities around food - we all have something I think that presents an extra special pain in the butt .... and lets not forget we are all battling various stages of the joy of menopause on top of it all. And as women, we all tend to put our own needs at the bottom of the list of "to do" .. so seriously I think sometimes its a freaken miracle any of us have ever lost any weight and gotten healthier at all!! In fact im thinking we shuld all be celebrating every OUNCE we lose as a major milestone achievement!!

and believe me when I say I am NOT advocating deleting any log entries for anyone else.. i'll admit I still occasionally even go back and "look" for the day I hit GW ... :o just in case it reappeared LOL.. but for me, it was something I had to do because deep down i was using the total weight I lost as my "consolation" for the regain... you know wht I mean.. that conversation in my head "well I may have regained "some"... but I still lost x amount"!

So for me I had to get rid of it and just think of what I have to lose now. A part of me wishes I hadn't done it because it was the only time in my life I had actually succeeded at weight loss and seeing that entry on GW day made me feel so good! But in my case, it also held me back from accepting I had regained the 30.

The pic for me is the best motivator this time around. I'm not gonna pretend it has anything to do with health this time, or pounds lost - Its all about getting back to a weight where I felt comfortable and happy with myself! I don't really think it matters what each of our motivation is anyway . yes I want better health and more activity - but that will come along on it own when I get there anyway. And if someone elses motivation is wanting to rock a new dress for a special occasion, or to just be able to buy new clothes, its no less a valid motivation than better health! who cares what our motivation is, it's OURS and whatever gets us to what we want is just dandy with me!

but you can BET tomorrow morning at 6am?? There is gonna be a wild party in my house celebrating the last night shift til November!! And there WILL be wine !! AND yes you're all invited!!! :)
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'll be there Snoozie to celebrate with you! That gives you all summer to enjoy your walks around the lake! One day at a time walking our way to better health!
  • Snooozie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    :):) handing Patrice her glass of vino!!!

gotta find me a happy feet dance pic!!

bophce4wyymr.jpg
    aa43owyq4h4e.jpg
    2nlaytfisga8.png
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Heading into the gym for calisthenics and Zumba:)
  • Vailara
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing the night shifts, Snoozie! I'm raising a virtual glass to you!

I've had a bit of shock ... although I've only regained a few pounds, it seems to have all gone on my waist - I measured recently have regained three inches (yes, I checked on different days to be sure). That's worrying in that it's enough to take me right up to the "unhealthy" range. I'm also a bit put out because even when I was at my fattest, I still had a good waist to hip ratio - well now I'm going from an hourglass to whatever shape an hourglass would be if it didn't go in in the middle. I have no idea why I've gained so much on this one measurement. Probably a mixture of stress, change in exercise (due to injury), hormones (all over the place) and middle-aged spread. Ah well. At least it's serving as a bit of a wakeup call - hopefully. I not only need to get back to my previous maintenance weight but should probably go below it.
  • Snooozie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Vail - I can kinda relate; I've always been sort of a "tree trunk" shape.. not sure that's the right analogy lol.. but I was solid as such, the same shape all the way down.. (if a tree trunk is a shape?) but with the regain it seems to have turned into a "belly" this time.. I DO think stress and hormones play a huge role in our weight all the time; bigger than we often realize. I know my lack of sleep does.. between shifts and menopause I am often sleep deprived and have found that's when any loss stalls, and when i'm more likely to reach for comfort food too lol.

inches are more what got me back on track; well the fact I couldn't fit into my clothes anymore that is.. didn't measure myself but I should have! I have no doubt you'll be able to get rid of those extra inches shortly!!

I gotta say the weight loss has gone way slower this time for me... I started back on track at the beginning of February and it took a few weeks to get my head fully in the game. but it does seem as tho its much slower happening. oh well.. I know its not how long it takes and that's its a marathon not a sprint.. so will just keep my eyes on the prize and keep at it.

Suzy how's the W30 program going ??? you must be at least 1/2 way thru now if I remember correctly??

Carol - nice job on the zumba!

Gail nice to see al those lovely exercise posts girl.. well done you!

Seehe.. glad you're back from the last vacay; and that you have a few weeks left to walk the pups til the heat kicks in!!! funny how our motivation changes from time to time, so if the pics work for you as well I say happy hunting for them!! :)

Patrice - how goes the battle ?? weather here has been so cold and snowy I often think I should head for your duck pond til I can get back to the lake!! i'll bring my own wine!

• Vailara
    Options
    You might be going slowly, Snoozie, but you're doing it and carrying on with it! That's what I need to be doing. It's going to be slow, I think, partly because it gets harder and harder to get a decent deficit.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Yes it does Vail! mostly because quite frankly I don't want to move more at this point to burn off excess cals so the deficit does become harder for sure!

Last night had a wine therapy night with my 2 best g/friends - hubby of 1 was out of town so we had a sleepover. holy cow LOL. lets just say this morning with a hangover I attempted to log everything I ate and drank yesterday.... pretty sure it should have rounded out to about 3000 but I gave up after wracking up 2700 LOL. no regrets at all tho; awesome quality time with friends and in truth a good litmus test; one thing I know I have to work on is being able to enjoy a night off with no guilt and no regrets, as long as I get right back to my "normal" eating the next day - fortunately at this point food is not all that appealing LOL. :)

Start dayshift tomorrow so today once the Tylenol kicks in I will be working on prepping food plan for the week :) thankful next weigh in isn't til Monday tho! Ha!! Have a good weekend everyone!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    So glad you had such fun, Snoozie ,especially coming off those night shifts!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :):o:*o:)
  • seehe
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Great job with Zumba , Carol, and good to hear from ya!

Vail- boy oh boy do I hear you about adding inches in the middle!!! Recently and rather suddenly my inches shifted and I went down a bra size and up a hip/belly size - ARGH!!!!

Snooozie- Doing the Happy Dance for ya with the end of night shifts!!!! Glad you were able to celebrate and have fun with your friend :) I completely agree with you that having fun and indulging on occasion is a good thing. Sorry about the hangover though.

Gail- great job with the recent weight loss- you rock!!! Love your attitude , too :)

I'm doing pretty good with my agenda of getting back on track. I've managed to lose 4 of the 9 ( gulp) total vacation pounds so far, and motivated to get the rest off and keep going. I can't decide whether to start completely over on MFP like you did Snooozie with my ticker, so for now I am using a different online app to track my weight with my current goals.
  • seehe
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder , Gail :)

egrhabqnuxly.jpeg
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies

Great job everyone

Doggone roller coaster... Within 7 lbs to 180...

Not what MFP says but any lower I look anorexic.

My legs/thighs are killing me.... Zumba and running....

Talk to you later.

Carol B)