NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is such a great group for NSV's. You're all "Rock Stars".

I increased my running time yesterday by another 5 minutes and could have gone longer. I need to buy a really good pair of
    running shoes before I get too carried away though.

Also, my husband bought me a new bathing suit cover-up (totally cute) and he told me he could just look at it and
    tell that a medium would fit......LOL, it did too!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    great news on the running and the cover-up.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Awesome, @MostlyWater!! How are you feeling today?

I feel good! My physical therapist is surprised at how much muscle memory I actually have. I heard that when a person stops exercising, they start losing muscle mass within a few days. I seem to have beaten the odds !

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    This is a very inspiring group. Great results everyone, and good luck to all as we set the bar for the fittest seniors.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,974 Member
    Options
    Awesome, @MostlyWater!! How are you feeling today?

I feel good! My physical therapist is surprised at how much muscle memory I actually have. I heard that when a person stops exercising, they start losing muscle mass within a few days. I seem to have beaten the odds !

The loss of muscle mass does happen but it's not like the muscle just melts away instantly. It's a small percentage.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Some great NSV well done everyone :)
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

I increased my running time yesterday by another 5 minutes and could have gone longer. I need to buy a really good pair of

Also, my husband bought me a new bathing suit cover-up (totally cute) and he told me he could just look at it and

Try the new UnderArmour Gemini 2 sneakers; they sell them at Sports Authority online and the sneakers sync with MapMyFitness. It will measures steps stride etc.

• luluinca
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »

Try the new UnderArmour Gemini 2 sneakers; they sell them at Sports Authority online and the sneakers sync with MapMyFitness. It will measures steps stride etc.

Interesting......thanks. My daughter suggested the brand Hoka so I'll look at both.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks but I really believe in finding the right shoe for you. Running stores will help with that based and stride and how you feet hit the ground.

Tried on a pair of jeans that I thought would be too small. Apparently I was wrong. They fit and are comfortable. Glad I put them on now rather than waiting for another 10-15 pounds.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I love my Brooks but I really believe in finding the right shoe for you. Running stores will help with that based and stride and how you feet hit the ground.

Tried on a pair of jeans that I thought would be too small. Apparently I was wrong. They fit and are comfortable. Glad I put them on now rather than waiting for another 10-15 pounds.

Hooray for new old jeans!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    This NSV isn't fitness or weight related but I'm feeling good about it so I thought I would share.

One of my coworkers approached me and talked a bit about issues with her current supervisor. It's been a couple of years since we worked directly together but we're still in the same group, just not on the same team. She explained her concerns and said, after a recent conflict, she pulled the supervisor aside and spoke to him about her concerns.

She said he responded by rolling his eyes and said he disliked being a supervisor as he couldn't understand why he keeps running into these kind of issues, claiming he's trying to be up-front and honest with people and they keep getting "offended" and accusing him of being rude.

So what's the NSV? She suggested he should talk to me and learn to adopt some of my communications strategies as I'm really good with people and manage well… She considers me to be the best supervisor in her experience. She was giving me a 'head's up' in case he approached me for mentoring…

I thanked her sincerely…
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    @UncleMac - That truly is a most wonderful NSV.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    @JMarcella57, it was all the more affirming as I struggle with my own supervisor who, coincidentally, hired the guy who is troubling my coworker. The next time I wonder if I'm the problem (as my supervisor claims), I will savour this moment as I push ahead.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    This NSV isn't fitness or weight related but I'm feeling good about it so I thought I would share.

One of my coworkers approached me and talked a bit about issues with her current supervisor. It's been a couple of years since we worked directly together but we're still in the same group, just not on the same team. She explained her concerns and said, after a recent conflict, she pulled the supervisor aside and spoke to him about her concerns.

She said he responded by rolling his eyes and said he disliked being a supervisor as he couldn't understand why he keeps running into these kind of issues, claiming he's trying to be up-front and honest with people and they keep getting "offended" and accusing him of being rude.

So what's the NSV? She suggested he should talk to me and learn to adopt some of my communications strategies as I'm really good with people and manage well… She considers me to be the best supervisor in her experience. She was giving me a 'head's up' in case he approached me for mentoring…

I thanked her sincerely…

Really nice success! Enjoy it!
  • luluinca
    Options

I thanked her sincerely…

Totally awesome and I hope you're enjoying the moment!!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    @Montepulciano and @luluinca, I'm still basking.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    That is terrific, take nsvs, no matter the source. Always knew you were a keeper.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Thank you, @marekdds.

From the onset of my dieting days, the dietitian suggested eating less restaurant and/or prepared meals. As a guy who ate out for lunch at work every day for the past 27 years, I wasn't looking forward to changing that. In order for change to be sustainable, I needed to find a way that worked for me…

The same young coworker and I made an arrangement in place whereby on Mondays, she brings in lunch for me and on Wednesdays, I bring in lunch for her. So far, it's worked out well. When I told the dietitian, he loved the idea and says he's going to recommend that to others in similar circumstances.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    @UncleMac glad you are getting the recognition you deserve. Health encompasses many facets of our lives including our interpersonal relations. WTG!
  • luluinca
    Options
    I put this up on my newsfeed this morning and a friend called it an NSV so I'll share it here too. We have our own business and a warehouse in our backyard. It's a wholesale sporting goods business and our main product which sells all over the world, mostly on the internet, has had a tooling problem for several months. We're finally back up and running and filling tons of backorders.

My husband is battling a cronic lung issue (ILD) and hasn't felt well lately so I've taken over the manual labor involved and he's doing the easier work which encompasses labeling and scraping a little part to make it smooth.

The manual labor involves me putting the parts together, checking to make sure the pressure in them is correct, and then packing them 60 to a box, which weighs 45 lbs. Then I move the boxes to the front of the warehouse and stack them to get them ready to be picked up by DHL or UPS, depending on whether they're going out of the country or not.

All the deadlifts, leg presses, squats, lunges, tricep pushdowns, bicep curls.....etc, that I've been doing the last two years have paid off and I'm strong enough to do the work. I think he thought I was overdoing it at the gym but now he realizes how strong I've gotten...........and just in time I think!

If you want to see our product just go to Amazon and type in Tennis Ball Saver...........if more than one pops up, which it shouldn't, ours is the yellow one. We've been selling them for over 30 years and moved the business home 10 years ago. Once the patent ran out there were a couple of companies that made knock offs in Taiwan, but they don't actually work......LOL. They missed a couple of details in the tooling and a couple of tricks we have to retain the pressure inside.